We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

When to deconstruct

What's the best way to use non-cap LI's if you have a huge supply of them cluttering your vault?

Level as spares and decon at 60 for max relics and large runes?
    Level as spares and decon at 31 for quick turnaround and good IXP to rune ratio?
    Use a tiny rune to level to 1 and then decon then?
    Decon at 0 just to get rid of them?
    They're junk, scrap them without even paying to identify?

Generally it's best to deconstruct LIs at 'odd' levels, i.e. 2, 11, 21, 31, etc. for the relics and (for higher LIs) IXP runes. Also you get to extract legacies at level 31 which can used to replace &&&&&& ones on weapons you do want to keep, so that's another factor to consider.

If you're a lowbie (say level 50+) then it might be worth getting them to level 2 and then deconstructing them. Ideally you'd equip 4, kill a few mobs to get them to level 2, then decon. Or just decon them straight away if you can't be bothered

The Moria instances in Dolven View were good for this, you could go in, get a few LIs to level 2, pop out, decon, equip some more, rinse, repeat. It's pretty tedious though and to be honest I don't think you need to bother nowadays - having just levelled a new alt through this period I never bothered and I seem to have plenty of relics.

Personally I have my 2 'current' LIs, a couple that I'm grooming to level 31 for the legacies, and then a couple of trash ones that I might decon when I'm in the vicinity of the relic master / vault if I have some more ready to slot.

Hope that helps a bit.

- stride

For the longest time I did the level 31 decon, then they changed up what you got at max decon and I do them at level 60 now. Doing so returns an IXP rune worth up to 920k or so average, and I get a bunch of level 5, 6 and 7 runes (sometimes up to 5 level 7s). Of course thats at level 85, and I am working on the top level runes for my LWs so I need the higher level runes for combining.
    Last edited by Tarmuar; May 15 2013 at 11:56 AM.
    [B]Crafting - Explorer - Tailor/Forestor/Prospector - 9s Across the Board[/B]

It depends on the supply. If I have a ton of extra LIs, and am running low on storage, I decon a bunch at 2 or 11. If I have a ton of extras and.I'm not liw on storage, I decon at 31. When I am down to only a few extras, I deconstruct at 60.

To me it depends on what things you want to get out of the effort.

If you are just interested in relics, leveling a LI up to level 2 gets you more relics than if you deconned it with doing even that. If you want the IXP runes, then you are forced to go to, at least, level 11. As noted, if you want legacies, then you have to go to level 31.

If you have a lot of LIs and willing to spend the time, effort, and money, you might open as many slots for those "throw aways" as you can. Slot them. Then (this assumes you have infused garnets, sapphires, and adamants) do the Dolven View solo instances. There are a total of six (you would use 2 each infused garnets, sapphires, and adamants).

Go into one. Finish it, then take the reward (you can get fused relics as a quest reward), decon the throw aways (typically with the ixp reward for quest completion they will be like level 3 to 7), and then slot more before doing the next one. Rinse and repeat. Typically you might get 3 to 7 relics from each LI plus whatever fused relics you take as the quest reward. If you need the bag space, the relic and forge masters are right there.

If you have dwarf rusty tools or tablets you can convert them to fused relics at the LI vendors.

So it all depends on what you are willing to do.

Leveling to 60 is a total win IMHO. You don't have to muck around getting new LIs from the vault, and the payout in relics is really pretty nice(up to 3 T7, some T6, some T5). It saves you from taking the time to do all the combines as well. Though to be honest. you get so many relics (T5/T6) from doing level 85 3 or 6 mans that it almost doesn't matter these days...

Quote Originally Posted by DelgonTheWise View Post
    Leveling to 60 is a total win IMHO. You don't have to muck around getting new LIs from the vault, and the payout in relics is really pretty nice(up to 3 T7, some T6, some T5). It saves you from taking the time to do all the combines as well. Though to be honest. you get so many relics (T5/T6) from doing level 85 3 or 6 mans that it almost doesn't matter these days...
    Getting higher Tier relics directly however saves you quite a bit of reforging money. I think T6->T7 was like 200 silver each, which if you repeat it 100+ times adds up quite a bit (probably the biggest gold sink in the game at the moment), not to mention the saved mouse-clicks.
    Used to play: 85 Champ / Captain / Runekeeper / Guardian, Guild Master of everything but cooking.
    Playing now: Hellcat / King Tiger / GW Panther / IS / KV-5 / M4 Sherman and more

I'm pretty sure if you want to extract legacies you can do this at lvl 30 and not 31
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/22219000000125cd8/01006/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Woodbiner View Post
    I'm pretty sure if you want to extract legacies you can do this at lvl 30 and not 31
    You can. But you get better relics/runes at 31, so most people recommend levelling to X1 (or 60, my choice).

Quote Originally Posted by DelgonTheWise View Post
    You can. But you get better relics/runes at 31, so most people recommend levelling to X1 (or 60, my choice).
    There is no point in going all the way to 60, you're just wasting IXP. Deconstructing at level 51 gives you exactly the same chance at runes & relics as deconstructing at 60.
    [url=http://my.lotro.com/home/character/Landroval/Hammund/][charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a0000001ca88b/01008/signature.png]Hammund of Landroval[/charsig][/url]

Quote Originally Posted by cpdm View Post
    There is no point in going all the way to 60, you're just wasting IXP. Deconstructing at level 51 gives you exactly the same chance at runes & relics as deconstructing at 60.
    While I've not experimented, it says here the rewards are better @ 60, is the guide wrong???

http://lorebook.lotro.com/wiki/Legen...egendary_Items

I'm pretty sure cpdm is wrong, unless it was changed recently.
    Only at 60+ you will get tier 5+6 relics with a chance for tier 7 relics (for LIs that require level 76+). At 51-59, everything will be one tier lower.
    Don't omit the final reforge though.

Since U10 (?) the lowest IXP rune you can get brings a fresh 3rd age LI to 48 again, so it will be 60 again quickly (annoyingly quickly, even...because 20->30 needs actually more IXP than 50->60 for 3rd age items), so if you don't mind running to the forge/relic master every few quests, defintely level them to 60 and decon.
    You may of course also put some 900k runes aside for the next expansion to get some high-tier relics quickly, assuming the tiers on deconstruction will be increased once more.

Levelling to 60 is the way to go, imo. If you really want ixp runes I suppose level 51 is better than 60 but for the best ixp:relics ratio then 60 is best. Piddling around with deconning at level 2 is not worth it, imo. The only caveats to that - if you need legacy scrolls then decon at level 31 (doing this as you level between 75 and 85 should get you enough legacy scrolls).