We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

"Where is the game client executable?"

After everything that went down yesterday, it says I'm patched and up-to-date (AFAIK); but after typing in my name and password and selecting my world, it pops up a file-browse window with the title "Where is the game client executable?". So I select lotroclient.exe; and it bombs out with a "Client failed to start" and then a huge string that I'm assuming is the arguments it passes to the client.

I've tried searching and figuring it out, but none of the other "client problems" I've been able to find match, or even mention the "Where is the game" window. I'm running Windows XP, and am the administrator; so it's not a "permissions issue". I previously had the "Happy Cloud" version installed, so I pulled it all/wiped it all; and reinstalled from an original game disk copy and upgraded, and still the exact same error.

Oddly enough, I have two other computers with the Happy Cloud version installed; and both updated and run fine (They're both Windows 7 though). So I'm really at a loss as to what's going on here, and can't find mention of anything similar.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Blessings and best wishes,
    --Xcalak

same problem here

after 2-3 hours of waiting the game won't start

I've installed using Steam and all files seem to be up2date

After reading some of the other threads and trying a couple things; I finally got it started, here's what I did (YMMV):

1.) Run Windows Update and make sure all your Microsoft Redists are up-to-date.
    2.) Goto your LOTRO install folder (mine is: C:\Program Files\Warner Bros\)
    3.) Right-click on the Warner Bros folder, Properties: read-only will be half enabled; disable, enable, and disable again.

It kept fighting me, like I did "files and sub-folders"; but it was still reading partially read-only. So I did the LOTRO sub-folder, and it was still fighting me; so I finally went into the LOTRO sub-folder, selected all and repeated, and it eventually let go and I was able to finally run the Launcher and get in.

Not sure which thing fixed it, but I figured I'd post it in an attempt to help others.

--Xcalak
    Last edited by Xcalak; May 14 2013 at 05:07 PM.

Yup, I've closed and exited and done everything; all seems to be as it should. Looks like a file read/write/permission oversight on Turbine's end. It seems to be causing errors on Windows 7/8, and even more errors on Windows XP as the structure/permission/securities aren't the same. (Either that, or it had to do with MS Redists; potentially they updated/upgraded and didn't pass it on or put a check in).

Either way, this worked for me. Hopefully it will help some others too. Thanks to everyone.

--Xcalak

I finally fixed the "Play doesn't do anything" problem, and now I'm having this problem as well. I did what was suggested and it's still not working. =/ Can't Turbine ever do anything right?

since warner bros took over this has been the norm giving your suggestion a try
    Holder of a Golden Ticket (lifetime acct)

+1 same problem

Changed permissions til I was blue in the face with no luck. Still the same problem as the OP.

Kinda glad I waited to resub until after I was able to log on.

I have also been encountering this issue, but only one PC (an ancient spare PC works fine - both PCs use X64 Win 7).

Each time the launcher asked for the location of the game client executable, it also logged an error message (in Event viewer -> Windows Logs -> Application), with the following details:

Level = Error
    Source = SideBySide
    Event ID = 33

Activation context generation failed for "C:\Games\The Lord of the Rings Online\lotroclient.exe". Dependent Assembly Microsoft.VC80.CRT,processorAr chitecture="x86",publicKeyToke n="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b",type="win 32",version="8.0.50727.6195" could not be found. Please use sxstrace.exe for detailed diagnosis.

To solve this, I tracked my problem down to the installed version of the x86 Visual C++ 2005 redist.

Examining my installed programs showed that my installed version of 'Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable' was 8.0.50727.762 (in control Panel -> Programs and Features; highlight the line and examine the version text at the bottom of the window)

The ancient working PC has version 8.0.61001

Actions:

Uninstall the old version of 'Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable'

Follow this link for the 61001 version (it shows the IA64 version in the details but allows you to opt for the x86 version when you download)
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl...ng=en&id=26347

Download the vcredist_x86.exe file and install it. Check your version (as above) and ensure it shows you 8.0.61001

For me at least, the launcher now works properly.

Hope this helps

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Tiba View Post
    I have also been encountering this issue, but only one PC (an ancient spare PC works fine - both PCs use X64 Win 7).

Each time the launcher asked for the location of the game client executable, it also logged an error message (in Event viewer -> Windows Logs -> Application), with the following details:

Level = Error
    Source = SideBySide
    Event ID = 33

Activation context generation failed for "C:\Games\The Lord of the Rings Online\lotroclient.exe". Dependent Assembly Microsoft.VC80.CRT,processorAr chitecture="x86",publicKeyToke n="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b",type="win 32",version="8.0.50727.6195" could not be found. Please use sxstrace.exe for detailed diagnosis.

To solve this, I tracked my problem down to the installed version of the x86 Visual C++ 2005 redist.

Examining my installed programs showed that my installed version of 'Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable' was 8.0.50727.762 (in control Panel -> Programs and Features; highlight the line and examine the version text at the bottom of the window)

Actions:

Follow this link for the 61001 version (it shows the IA64 version in the details but allows you to opt for the x86 version when you download)

Download the vcredist_x86.exe file and install it. Check your version (as above) and ensure it shows you 8.0.61001

Hope this helps
    Thank You so much!!!
    That fixed it right up for me

Level = Error
    Source = SideBySide
    Event ID = 33

Actions:

Hope this helps
    Bow Down man! Worked for me also.

BTW - Turbine - i have been paying 5 years every month for the game i love so much, even during Mirkwood desperate times. Your patches and expansions started to look like Diablo 3 launch. Fanbase suckin solutions out of their fingers. Sad.

I am having the same problem, when I go to add/remove programs I have several versions of the Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable. What one do I mess with? Should I just remove them all?

Thanks!!

I just installed the new one over the old one, I can now get in the game!

.....now I just have to find where my characters are since I have not played in almost 2 years....
    Last edited by XaqRalar; May 15 2013 at 02:04 PM.

Level = Error
    Source = SideBySide
    Event ID = 33

Actions:

Hope this helps

Thank you Thank you Thank you!!!!!! I too had the lotroclient executable not being recognized, went through a few uninstalls/reinstalls including Steam....nothing worked til i uploaded the vcredist_x86.exe file from the link above....i'm in after two days!!!! woot!!!!

Level = Error
    Source = SideBySide
    Event ID = 33

Actions:

Hope this helps
    As much as I currently hate this game with a passion, I thank you good sir for you have allowed me to raid with my kin. As far as im concerned you're a God amongst men.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/032020000002b66d5/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Talking

Level = Error
    Source = SideBySide
    Event ID = 33

Actions:

Hope this helps
    Someone give this man a medal! This works! Thanks man!

+1 to this issue as well.

Basic Specs:
    Pentium dual core 2.66GHz
    6GB RAM
    Win7-64bit
    nVidia GeForce 450

Nothing Has worked...

I have tried installing Visual C++ 2005sp1 and pretty much every last latest version of all others. I've tried checking file permissions I've tried making a new admin account and everything I can think of to get Lotro to run and it still asks where the game client executable is.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0a20b0000001a8377/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by ContesUltima View Post
    I have tried installing Visual C++ 2005sp1 and pretty much every last latest version of all others. I've tried checking file permissions I've tried making a new admin account and everything I can think of to get Lotro to run and it still asks where the game client executable is.
    Im still running into the same problem as well. I've also tried disabling the read-only files in their properties as suggested earlier but am not having any luck.

Im running XP, does anybody have any other suggestions? I've submitted a ticket but we all know how long that might take.

Cheers all.

Post Help

Downloaded c++ redistributable 32b windows xp tried to remove read only removed proxy but game still wont work please help me!

Level = Error
    Source = SideBySide
    Event ID = 33

Actions:

Hope this helps
    hi its for "Where is the game client executable?" and my English bad can u do this thing with pictures please? or anyone do it when its for my problem > "Where is the game client executable?"

Thumbs up

I did all the above and it still didn't work for me. I ended up going into the turbine files and changing "loroclient.exe" to lotroclientold.exe. Once you start to log back on it will redownload a new lotroclient.exe.

Worked fine after that.

Unhappy

Ookay, so what if nothing described here helps?

- Reinstalled redistributable package, user is an admin; current version of 2005 package is 8.0.61001.
    - Went inside the installation directory and made sure nothing is read-only.
    - Removed the executable, so the launcher redownloaded it.

But still can't 'find' it.
    Upd.: By the way, there isn't even a record of a failed launch in the system event log :/

It's a fresh Happy cloud installation on Windows XP. Any more ideas? Is it possible to check somehow, if the redist packages are actually installed correctly, for example?
    Thanks in forward.
    Last edited by localGhost; Sep 18 2013 at 11:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by localGhost View Post
    Ookay, so what if nothing described here helps?

- Reinstalled redistributable package, user is an admin; current version of 2005 package is 8.0.61001.
    - Went inside the installation directory and made sure nothing is read-only.
    - Removed the executable, so the launcher redownloaded it.

But still can't 'find' it.
    Upd.: By the way, there isn't even a record of a failed launch in the system event log :/

It's a fresh Happy cloud installation on Windows XP. Any more ideas? Is it possible to check somehow, if the redist packages are actually installed correctly, for example?
    Thanks in forward.

Hi!
    After reading many of quotes like this, i searched for the "Side by Side" Error you can read in the System Events log.
    From there i came up on a page where someone discussed about a "manifest" file, and the version of the C++ redist that is written into this file.
    Hoping that this file would be updated from the auto-update process too, I renamed the lotroclient.exe.manifest into lotroclient.exe.manifest.old.
    And -> The login went through.

After that I looked for the manifest file, but it was not updated. It seems that this file is no longer needed, cause only my old file was there.

So every one, who still suffers on this, give it a try and kill or rename the lotroclient.exe.manifest file in ..\turbine\the lord of the rings online\

Greets,
    Rider
    System XP, SP3

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Riderus View Post
    So every one, who still suffers on this, give it a try and kill or rename the lotroclient.exe.manifest file in ..\turbine\the lord of the rings online\
    Incredible! That simple at long last.
    Thank you!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast