We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Pre-Ordering Helm's Deep with Turbine Points

I think this should be an option. Yay or nay?
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/2b22500000010b589/01003/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

I don't foresee this happening. Theoretically this would allow someone to grind TP without spending money, and then purchase an expansion(not questpack) with no outlay of real life cash. This puts no money in Turbines' pocket for future development.
    “And some things that should not have been forgotten were lost. History became legend. Legend became myth. And for two and a half thousand years, the ring passed out of all knowledge.”
    ? J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Financially unwise for Turbine, so i can bet it wont ever happen.

(mainly since one can grind TP for purchase)
    Thank you, Turbine, for listening and giving us an opt-out of FE! Good work!

Quote Originally Posted by Elflord410 View Post
    I don't foresee this happening. Theoretically this would allow someone to grind TP without spending money, and then purchase an expansion(not questpack) with no outlay of real life cash. This puts no money in Turbines' pocket for future development.
    I understand that logic for pre-ordering yeah. But, I digress on your general point, since I did grind TP to purchase the EXPANSION pack for Isengard. So, regardless, I'm going to be buying Helm's Deep with TP... just wish I could do it sooner.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/2b22500000010b589/01003/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

No, it won't happen.
    Turbine make preorder to make money, fresh money not TP.
    Most of long term VIPS are sit on thousands of TPs.
    [IMG]http://img571.imageshack.us/img571/254/6rpe.jpg[/IMG][FONT=Verdana]
    Tindalas is Laurelin's negative nancy. ([/FONT][FONT=Verdana]Felathurin aka Brunt)[/FONT]

Won't happen.
    Turbine points are spent on stuff that is physical present in the game. You can't spend points on something that isn't physically in the game yet.

Now of course once Helm's Deep is on the Live servers then yes you could purchase it with points. Otherwise, pre-orders are real money only.

Eodread, Earendel, Lindrial, Isilmacil - Horizon
    Thattickles

´never going to happen imo if you want the pre-order bonuses you will have to pay with real money if you don't care about those bonuses you can purchase the whole expansion on launchday in the lotro-store with tp
    Former resident of Withywindle now settling in on Laurelin :D

The Bandits Raid Alliance - Laurelin
    http://thebandits.guildlaunch.com/

Virtue & Traitpoint Tracker
    https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...tpoint-Tracker

Whole point of pre-purchase is to grab money as early as possible with giving people as little information as possible about what they actually buy, relying on the "it's new - must have now" reflex a lot of people apparently have.

Really don't understand how people want to spend money (or TP, or Zen, ...) already on something of which so far only the name is known.
    Used to play: 85 Champ / Captain / Runekeeper / Guardian, Guild Master of everything but cooking.
    Playing now: Hellcat / King Tiger / GW Panther / IS / KV-5 / M4 Sherman and more

Quote Originally Posted by BreakdancerOptix View Post
    I think this should be an option. Yay or nay?
    Nay. I'm f2p because of how Turbine stole from me. I'm not happy with them and think they're very much lacking in customer care. However, that said, pre-purchase by TP makes no sense and I agree with them not to do it.

Pre-purchase bonuses are incentives to people with cash to provide up front money to help Turbine's financials. If we're not willing to lay out cash, why should Turbine give us the same toys as those early purchasers receive?

We'll get it at launch, we'll save money, we'll be happy.

No. The whole point of pre-ordering is to garner up-front money for Turbine with a reward for paying before seeing.
    I'd explain it to you, but I'm all out of Puppets and Crayons.
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    GLADDEN: Moochy, 105 Minstrel R10 + alts CRICKHOLLOW: Moochy, 21 Minstrel

On top of it not being financially viable, Turbine has previously stated that they can't actually put something in the store that isn't in the game yet. So they are apparently technically incapable of offering TP-based prepurchases.

Edit: The above info is apparently incorrect, I've left it in place to not break context.
    Last edited by Cadd_EU; Oct 21 2013 at 06:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mandura View Post
    ´never going to happen imo if you want the pre-order bonuses you will have to pay with real money if you don't care about those bonuses you can purchase the whole expansion on launchday in the lotro-store with tp

Or wait a month or so and use TPs when it goes on sale for 30-50% off. thats the real savings and what I'm waiting on. I don't think the "I need it now crowd" will ever learn.
    Mean what you say and say what you mean! If you don't there are always consequences!

Quote Originally Posted by Cadd_EU View Post
    On top of it not being financially viable, Turbine has previously stated that they can't actually put something in the store that isn't in the game yet. So they are apparently technically incapable of offering TP-based prepurchases.
    When Turbine was about to release Riders of Rohan, Sapience said that they can now put things in the store that were not in the game yet. He did not elaborate on what changed, only that it did.
    It is not exactly the same, but remember that we were able to buy the unreleased RoR raids with TP before they were available in-game.

Quote Originally Posted by Cadd_EU View Post
    My personal opinion as always.

I never bought into this story. Turbine is selling the item for dollars. Turbine can apply content unlock to your account when you buy it with dollars. There is no technical reason that the PlaySpan operated Lotro Store can't do the same functionality. The so called technical limitation is a management decision to not to do it.

As a software designer I told my management that it is technically possible for our web enabled store operated Digital River to sell this one particular product but our web enabled store operated by PlaySpan could not sell the same item. Management would say that is totally incorrect. Yula have PlaySpan put the item in the Lotro Store, copy the Digital River unique id - give it a new number so that we can tell them apart and define the PlaySpan id in the game data.

Do not forget Turbine will be selling the expansion on launch day in the Lotro Store using the PlaySpan unique id. The PlaySpan unique id already exists in the game data. The unique ID is probably in the live data. All that is missing is the population in the live Lotro Store. You can be sure Turbine already tested the selling of Helms Deep for Turbine Points. Turbine is not going to wait until launch day to find out if it works. Turbine is going to want to minimize the chance of error to the putting the item on the shelf with the correct price.

Final Thoughts - Since PlaySpan has its own unique id for their Helms Deep preorder. That gives Turbine the flexibility to put different items in the box. Like leave out the Turbine Point award.

The real reason is simple. Us spending Turbine Points does not generate any revenue. Turbine wants our dollars. The way to assure that they get the dollars Turbine wants is to only sell the product for dollars. Turbine really wanted to drive the point home. Turbine would state that people that pay dollars get one week of early access. The expansion will not be populated to the Lotro Store and sold for Turbine Points until day 8.
    Unless stated otherwise, all content in this post is My Personal Opinion.

Lightbulb

I beleive i read the devs said somewhere what will be the price of Helms Deep with turbines point. I think was on the last 40 questions. Also, ordering with TP always happen after the expansion release, not before, because they use the preorders as inversion to pay the costs of developing the expansion.

Quote Originally Posted by TiNdA-LoS View Post
    ...Most of long term VIPS are sit on thousands of TPs.
    This is not correct. I am VIP & i use TP regularly. There are many things that are convenient to optain but can only be buy with TP.
    Last edited by YamydeAragon; Oct 21 2013 at 11:06 AM.

~ Check my Kinship at Gladden server: The Fate of Middle Earth ~

Quote Originally Posted by StarLightning View Post
    When Turbine was about to release Riders of Rohan, Sapience said that they can now put things in the store that were not in the game yet. He did not elaborate on what changed, only that it did.
    It is not exactly the same, but remember that we were able to buy the unreleased RoR raids with TP before they were available in-game.
    Oh! In that case I very much apologize for spreading incorrect information!