We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

A beginner to monster play...

While waiting for the new update i have decided to get VIP for a few months

I have not tried MP much...i had VIP for some time, but MP was so hard and confusing...everything got thrown at me right away. Now however, i have a Freep at level 85 and feel confident enough to try out the Creep side. I have some questions for the more experienced folk if you don't mind!

1: Where do i begin? The worst part is getting like 9000 quests at the beginning...which ones do i go for?

2: I noticed there were some shops for Creeps...is there anything useful i should get? Something that will help noobs? And what is used as currency.

3: Which class is the easiest to play? I play a guard on the freep side...i liked how all i had to do was focus on aggro and not so much complex stuff like LMs. I would also like my class to be helpful in groups, but i guess they all are?

Ok, that's it for now i guess...you could also recommend some servers i guess. Or maybe i'll just stick to the same server(Vilya).
    Truth and Justice

Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunStalker View Post

I have not tried MP much...i had VIP for some time, but MP was so hard and confusing...everything got thrown at me right away. Now however, i have a Freep at level 85 and feel confident enough to try out the Creep side. I have some questions for the more experienced folk if you don't mind!

1: Where do i begin? The worst part is getting like 9000 quests at the beginning...which ones do i go for?

2: I noticed there were some shops for Creeps...is there anything useful i should get? Something that will help noobs? And what is used as currency.

3: Which class is the easiest to play? I play a guard on the freep side...i liked how all i had to do was focus on aggro and not so much complex stuff like LMs. I would also like my class to be helpful in groups, but i guess they all are?

Ok, that's it for now i guess...you could also recommend some servers i guess. Or maybe i'll just stick to the same server(Vilya).
    1. Do all the quests from NPCs standing around the War-Tyrant. These will give you your maps and some easy comms.
    2. Health pots mainly. Maybe some Power pots too, depending on your class. Get some food, and root immunity pots.
    3. I'd go with Warg Stalker if you're looking for something easy. You get to pick your fights. :P. If you want to be helpful in groups, you should probably go with Warleader for some buffs and group heals. You'll have the dps of a norbog though :P.

As for server, Riddermark is ok, I guess*. If you want a large server, I'd try Elendilmir or Brandywine. If you want something smaller, try Crickhollow.

*Translation: It's too late for me. Don't make the same mistake :P.
    I've been at the mercy of men just following orders. Never again.

You don't have to pick up the quests that require turn-ins (like Mash, for instance, with 10 slug-meats). Creepside you can acquire quest turn-ins, then pickup and turn in the quest all at once. A huge time saver plus you will fill your quest log if you don't do this.

Don't forget Dar and Grothum both have quests - they are out of the way and easy to forget.
    Clarrow PeopleEater - R12 (resting) BA
    Clarysta
    - Lvl 105 Captain - Wannabe Freep R4
    Twitter - @clarystainsun

if your most used to guardian then the war leader would be best for you, and the very first thing you have to do is get your grams map. to get that, you need to finish a few quests, which will send you around the map, and then you should be set more or less. pots consist of health and power, stun and root imunity, and warg breath is good versus lms. if you want to by something on turbine store ask a green rank what ones you should get before you buy them, really helps. no matter what class you get though, it wont be good until rank 6 though, so if you can keep going till then itll really pay off. completeing the quests at the 5 keeps will get you more maps and comms, which you use to buy skills and traits, dont get skins till rank 7 or 8, and look at the skins on the forums before you buy. and thats pretty much everything you need to know for now, hope it helps
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0d216010000092dab/signature.png]Narlob[/charsig]

Red face

best advice you will get is not roll a creep in update 11...freeps will roll threw you like a fiery wrecking train or thats what the devs themselves told.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/03202010000508696/signature.png]Krishal[/charsig]

Coming from a fellow guard who is still relatively new to the moors:

Class depends on what you want to do. If you want to do the same basic thing, then Warleader is the closest thing creeps have to a tank. If you'd like a change of pace, wargs are a great choice. As said earlier, you can pick your fights, for the most part. It's totally different than guard, but just as fun.

When you first get out there, pick up all the quests you see and start doing them. Open your deed log and focus on the ones that will get you that Map to Gramsfoot. They may not show up immediately--don't worry, they will.

As was also said earlier, creeps are in a bad(ish) place post-U11. Not to mention, as a low-ranked anything you're gonna get slaughtered. (Yet another reason to roll a warg - more under-the-radar that you're free renown wandering the map.) That being said, don't let it deter you from rolling a creep!! Even if you can't compare with freeps in terms of dps, you can still have a ton of fun. Also, for the first 5 ranks or so you won't be able to do much freep killing anyway - focus on doing quests and getting your maps and don't worry about actual pvp yet.

(I might get flamed for that last bit, but I'm a strong proponent of the idea that you can always find something fun to do, even if the whole map is blue and a raid is camping grams. Freeps farming a rez? Don't feed them; map out and take an op or something. Yeah, it's supposed to be pvp, but there's no sense in dying repeatedly for nothing. Choose your battles! ...but maybe that's just the warg in me coming out lol)

If you do decide to roll a warg, check out theartofwarg.wordpress.com. Its a fantastic site that'll help you get up and pouncing in no time.

Good luck and don't forget to always have fun!
    lvl 105 Guardian | 105 Mini | 64 Hunter | 48 Warden | Lukiluk - r10 Warg | r6 Defiler | r6 WL

Twitch.tv/Arathaert | Youtube.com/ArathaertTV | Guardian Guide

Many of the quests require quest items to turn in, and carrying the quests with you isn't really required. Just make a point of harvesting everything, and making sure PvE mob drops aren't useful for anything before you sell them. E.G Slugs drop Slug Meat and Monsterous Membranes. The meat's a quest drop, the membranes you can sell.

Silver for the basic stuff, Commendations for the "good" stuff are the currencies. As a starting character, don't waste comms on pots or food. You'll need all you can get for skills and Audacity. Though do buy some stun pots and root pots, food for your rank, and some health pots. Power too, if you find you're running low.

"Easiest" is probably Reaver - though your survival chances are low, since your role would be to rush in, get a few hits, and get out. Warleader is probably closer to what you're used to, though a WL is closer to a Cappy than to a Guard.

I usually recommend Warg, since we have these lovely fur coats and more style than anything Freepside. But if you're used to the toe to toe, board and sword, world of a Guard, the stealthy, sneaky, pick your fights, world of a Warg may take some getting used to. We're more like Burgs in that sense. We sneak around and pick our fights. But, unlike Burgs, we have these luxurious fur coats that the Freeps are jealous of.

I'm on Vilya myself. The community on both sides is fairly small but, with some notable exceptions, mostly a good bunch on both sides.
    Hobbits . . .
    Now them's good eatin'!

First and foremost come to have fun. At early stages you will be spending a lot of time at the rez circle. You will have difficulty getting back to groups because you will be an easy target for high ranked opposition. So, come for fun to start.

Do things to take the stress off like: count how many lightening bolts got tossed on you or how high did your creep bounce during an massed attack. Anything to get the giggles going.

After you get R5-6-7 things get better. You'll get there pretty fast these days. So the early days are for learning that Chaos Theory is defined as LOTRO/PVMP.
    Whoever says “I” creates the “you.” Such is the trap of every conscience. The “I” signifies both solitude and rejection of solitude. Words name things and then replace them. Whoever says tomorrow, denies it. Tomorrow exists only for him who does not seek it. And yesterday? Yesterday is Kolvillàg: a name to forget, a word already forgotten.

The Oath: A Novel by Elie Wiesel

Quote Originally Posted by SabrielofLorien View Post
    Do things to take the stress off like: count how many lightening bolts got tossed on you or how high did your creep bounce during an massed attack. Anything to get the giggles going.
    This is EXACTLY the right attitude to have creepside.
    Clarrow PeopleEater - R12 (resting) BA
    Clarysta
    - Lvl 105 Captain - Wannabe Freep R4
    Twitter - @clarystainsun

1: Where do i begin?
    Some awesome advice here so I won't reiterate but...here's my 2 cents.

Log onto Gilrain server and get yourself a BOT. Trust me, nothing bad will happen to you and you'll rank up real fast.
    That's the quality PvP you can expect from this game that's quickly going down the same route as the Diplodocus.

Have fun ^^