R9 Defiler here.
My current build that i'm testing is:
- Corruptions -> Crit Protection, Health 4 Power rank1, Health 4 Power rank2, 3x Critical rating boosts.
I have found that with this build, i can maintain decent survivability, combined with proper heals. The thing of the future is, in my opinion, the Critical Rating Boost, which is extremely powerful and provides for regular, frequent crit HoTs and 10k+ crit heals from Fell Restoration.
- Race Traits -> Front Line Fodder, Blood of Fire, Rage of Misbegotten, Warrior Against the Deep, and Dying Rage (I will switch this to Flayer of Flesh when i reach R10).
- Class Traits -> Armour Boost, Enh Efl. (probably wiser to trait Enh:Curse of Sticky Feet, since range is useless in a 1v1, and -15% is not so relevant, considering a 30 sec CD), Heallth Boost, Fast Lob, Enh Slime, Enh Plague Gourd and Enh Fungal Spores.
Quick Tips, since i'm in a hurry:
- I still use flies, they are nerfed, but they still provide a useful distraction if the opponent decides to get rid of them - it gives you an opportunity to apply debuffs and to some HOTs. The role of Flies is psychological.
- Interrupts: to avoid nasty interrupts on the skills that are critical to your survival, i would suggest a fake-induction - for example, if you wanna use Eflorescence, and you're afraid you'll get interrupted, use Blight instead. The induction will get interrupted, and in the next turn, you'll be able to apply the Hots you want.
- Fears: Save the fears for critical moments - when you want to apply Hots, or use your big heal (FR). When you're not in imminent danger, naturally you'll use it to apply debuffs.
- Stun: Use traited Plague Gourd which lowers target's Block/Parry/Evade for more effective use of Tenderize for a more potentially successful Daze of your opponent. A good stun in a critical time can be a life saver.
- Blood Of Fire: do NOT forget to have this activated at all times. It's a huge chunk of your damage output.
- Pots: This goes without saying, but before engaging, make sure you use fortifying pots - increased Armor Value, Resistance and Evade are extremely useful.
Hope you found any information useful, Good luck!
Vilya: Healadder (defiler, R10), Kommisar (stalker, R7).
Snowbourn: Superserial (warleader, R8), Steelstack (reaver, R6).
Brandywine: Manvet (champion, R10 - Retired); Stargash-1 (reaver, R12)