We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Help a Lazy Captain Out: U10 Raid Builds

So, I took a school-related hiatus from the game starting just after U10 hit. This means I'm totally behind on actually getting all my gear, for one, but for another I've lost touch a bit with what Captains are actually expected to do in the current end-game raids. Is LtC for raiding still a thing or have we gone over to 4/3 Hybrid or pure HoH builds based around Valiant Strike? Are non-PvP Captains comboing 4/2 on Erebor sets or are there gold armour pieces worth mixing into our builds in place of the /2 pieces? Has every Captain in the world suddenly switched to running S&B without telling me? Etc.

I'm hoping that my fellow Captains would be so generous as to share their most common builds (both traits and gear/LIs) for the current end game. I can look up what the best-in-slot items are, but I'm more interested in how people are putting the pieces together. Also, if you've got the time, I'd appreciate some commentary along the lines of "I wanted to put X bracelet on for the crit, but I wound up needing to use Y to keep my Vitality up" or "This build goes light on the Fate, so you need to watch your power use". That sort of thing.

I'll put the most interesting ones in this top post, to help out anybody else in my situation who comes along later. (And, yes, obviously U11 is not that far away, so some stuff might change, but it's unlikely to shake up the core of most of the builds people are using now.)

EDIT: Begin my compilation of useful advice...

Quote Originally Posted by TinDragon
    Well, LtC isn't as great for raiding anymore, since the U10 raids are actually somewhat difficult (at least in comparison to scaled BG). You could probably get away with LtC in Smaug, but I wouldn't recommend it in BfE or Flight.

My common armour setup is 2 Perseverance, and then either 4 Command or 4 H-Healer, depending on whether our group needs more heals or more damage. I've been playing around with 2 Pers 2 Draig 2 Hele, but that's going away with U11. If you're a non-PvP captain, honestly at this point I'd say you should still probably be going 4/2 but using Helegrod in place of Perseverance.
    Quote Originally Posted by warwalker
    my raid setup is two for the earrings from dale, the gold tact mit/crit D neck, two crafted eomer bracelets (until i get one of the annuminas capt bracelet), hoary platinum band from lib, might proc ring, 2 pers/4 command or 2 pers/4 hyt Heal with sarchol as my cloak
    Quote Originally Posted by Nascephor
    In PvE RAIDs nothing beats 2 Perseverance + 4 Hytbold Healer for DPS and heal duty. If you are tanking, 2 erebor leader+2 perseverance+2 any crit defense are probably best.
    About builds: LtC works quite well in RAIDs with many targets/defeat events. Ost Dunnoth, Flight and Smaug come to mind, but BfE with reinforcements is a T2 where the main strategy actually benefits from a LtC Captain helping a champion to kill adds waves. In more than one occasion i actually advocate going LtC+S&B to benefit from faster skills animations, rallying cry spam and a shield.
    Re: using gold items in a build.
    Quote Originally Posted by TinDragon
    If you're not going to do PvP armour or Helegrod armour, I think you're probably still better off with another 2-piece set bonus. Throw in some bonus Shadow's Lament damage or a power return or something. The golds are decent, if you can get 'em, but good luck getting 'em. I've been extremely lucky to get the shield (arguably the second best gold) and the cloak (definitely second best gold if you're not a shield user) but even those took a ridiculous amount of runs.
    Quote Originally Posted by vr00mie
    Blue+HoH with S&B for erebor T2 raids (except perhaps Smaug)
    All 6-man & 3-man = Red + MoW & 2-h
    Nice Might+Crit bracelets coming in U11
    Quote Originally Posted by Dhalion
    2 Moors Pers + 4 Hytbold Healing
    With the jewellery set up of:
    2 x Easterling Sorcerors Golden Earing (150 Might, 211 + Morale, 768 Crit)(From Dale)
    1 x Critted Wrymfire Necklace of Strength (mainly for the high Might and Crit Defence)
    1 x Annuminas Captain's Bracelet
    1 x non critted Horselords Might Bracelet
    1 x Ring of the Abandoned Hall (150 Might, 382 Tact Mast, 384 Parry, and 970 Crit Defence)(From OD)
    1 x Confiscated Journal (113 might, 421 Morale, and 768 Crit)

I also have the Malledrim Captain's Shield.

For Extra Tactical Mitigations I'll switch out and use Gregolin and the Wold's Iron Bauble(Rohan Rep vendor) to gain an extra 3k tact mit, as well as the Hytbold Leader's Shoulder's, and Im usually just over 50% tactical mitigation with virtues.

I've found that with a little bit of Crit Defence, it makes a huge difference, also, I use a shield (even though I prefer a two hander, but that cappy shield is too insane not to use), I also have 20% block. Even with a high Might and Crit build, my cappy isn't really squishy. Though that can come down to positioning or group make up as well.

Oh and these are the relics that I run on LI's

True setting of the North:
    330 Morale, 646 Crit, 1616 Incoming healing (I noticed that alot of cappies don't run with Incoming healing, and before update 10 were getting one shotted alot. I'd also rather be easy to heal from any heal source)

Eastemnet Gem of Charity:
    182 Tact Mit, 808 Tact Mast, 310 Power

Eastemnet Rune of Power:
    182 Phys Mit, 646 Phys Mast, 646 Tact Mast, 30 Fate

Crafted Emblem of Insight:
    30 Fate, 640 Crit, 640 Tact Mast
    Last edited by furtim; May 07 2013 at 10:53 AM. Reason: Added helpful stuff from the thread.
    Cainwen Ciaphas, Captain of Crickhollow, HERO OF MIDDLE EARTH!!!
    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! My opinions are my own!

Well, LtC isn't as great for raiding anymore, since the U10 raids are actually somewhat difficult (at least in comparison to scaled BG). You could probably get away with LtC in Smaug, but I wouldn't recommend it in BfE or Flight. All of that is T2 of course, T1 is laughable and you really don't need any more heals than red line will give for any of those on T1.

For all other content, I go red line, and I'm usually the only healer in the group. A couple instances get tricky like that but most are a walk in the park.

(For red traits, I go Elendil Damage, PA/DB damage, war banner, Turn of the Tide, and the CD for Battle-shout. For blue, it's the common 5, with the hope banner, power costs, and Strength from Within not being traited.)

My common armour setup is 2 Perseverance, and then either 4 Command or 4 H-Healer, depending on whether our group needs more heals or more damage. I've been playing around with 2 Pers 2 Draig 2 Hele, but that's going away with U11. If you're a non-PvP captain, honestly at this point I'd say you should still probably be going 4/2 but using Helegrod in place of Perseverance. The boost to heals more than makes up for the slight drop in survivability. For solo purposes, probably not as important.

BiS earring is the Bells of Dale one, which offers the same crit as the BG one, but with more might and gives +max morale instead of +max power. BG one works just fine though. I'm using a Bangle of Echoing Battle and the bracelet that drops from Annuminas with the might proc. Journal is still the best pocket item unless you can't get your hands on the Annuminas bracelet, in which case the better pocket item is probably the Sambrog pocket that has the same might proc. For rings I'm using the crit proc and Beremud's Battered Ring. I'll probably swap Beremud's out for the Mender's proc ring once U11 hits and the ring is fixed. Best cloak is obviously the gold from Fornost, but if you can't get that, second best cloak drops from Bells (the same instance that drops the earring you'll want).
    Last edited by TinDragon; May 05 2013 at 04:57 PM.

Following off of what TinDragon said.....

I honestly wouldn't put too much effort into the Bracelets or the Pocket (ie: do Sambrog and OE to get gear), cause the rep ones in U11 are going to trump most of the other choices out there IMO. That said, Tin's advice is still solid.

Thadur has a fairly decent might/vit/tactical mitigation necklace if you can't get ahold of a wyrmfire gold crafted necklace (went with the tactical mit/crit d variant myself). Gold ToO DIY might necklace is still fairly good at 85, if you have that.

For the rings.... I'm running with the might/crit proc ones. Other choices are:
    +Crit Defence/+Incoming Healing on incoming damage
    Self HoT on incoming damage

I'm contemplating use the might/crit D + vitality/mitigations proc rings for the 'moors, in place of the 85 PvMP rings.
    Maley Oakensage, Captain of Elendilmir

Alas Elendilmir, may you *jingle jangle* forever in the Forgotten West

I find myself getting too squishy when I build Might/Crit. Right now, I'm wearing 4 Hyt-Healer/2 Hyt-Leader to pick up the slack. How are you guys dealing with that?

(For the same reason, I wouldn't even consider looking at Helegrod stuff.)

Could be that my jewelry is just lagging too far behind. I've only got the teal Orthanc stuff, since my kin didn't complete Saruman often enough to drop a clasp for me, back when that was the end game. Might have to try getting in some Thadur or Erebor runs to see if I can get a better one. By the Might/Crit proc rings, you're referring to the upgraded Rohan rings? I've got my eye on them as soon as I can get into some Erebor raids.

Good tip on the Dale earring, too. Still haven't done that one, so I'm gonna have to try it. (I did BfE twice and the other Erebor instances not at all before I dropped off the face of Middle-Earth!)
    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! My opinions are my own!

For the proc rings, I'm specifically using the might rings, one with crit proc, the other with might proc.

I don't see myself as all that squishy (I do tend to work in a lot of tactical mitigation to help offset this) - I will actually need to get back into more raiding as time permits, so my perspective is kinda skewed atm =/

(what play time I have is either spent on BR or in non-raid instancing, with the rare trip into the 'Moors).

ok here goes

my raid setup is two for the earrings from dale, the gold tact mit/crit D neck, two crafted eomer bracelets (until i get one of the annuminas capt bracelet), hoary platinum band from lib, might proc ring, 2 pers/4 command or 2 pers/4 hyt Heal with sarchol as my cloak

my stats are unbufffed (this is without the crit proc at all) around 9k crit, 10.5k morale, 25K tm with 4 command but 27-8K with 4 hyt heal, capped phys mit and around 10k tact mit, this build seems to suit my raid group really well

Quote Originally Posted by furtim View Post
    I find myself getting too squishy when I build Might/Crit. Right now, I'm wearing 4 Hyt-Healer/2 Hyt-Leader to pick up the slack. How are you guys dealing with that?
    Two Perseverance adds quite a bit of vitality and morale. Command makes it even more ridiculous. I oftentimes find myself trying to drop morale in favor of other stats.

(For the same reason, I wouldn't even consider looking at Helegrod stuff.)
    I've never found myself particularly squishy even wearing two Helegrod, but this may stem from the fact that captain is automatically my sturdiest toon. Other two choices are hunter and LM, which are both significantly squishier than my captain could ever be. (Additionally, I have the gold shield so if for some reason I am taking more damage than normal while wearing a lower armour set, I just pop that thing on and my survivability automatically jumps up again.)

Could be that my jewelry is just lagging too far behind. I've only got the teal Orthanc stuff, since my kin didn't complete Saruman often enough to drop a clasp for me, back when that was the end game. Might have to try getting in some Thadur or Erebor runs to see if I can get a better one.
    I've got the gold Orthanc and haven't found anything I'd like to replace it with, to include the new gold necklaces that are dropping. I actually have a might recipe in my bags that I haven't used yet. If you've got the teal though, you should definitely upgrade. There's three similar necklaces with might: one has tac mit, one has block, and one has physical mastery. Probably a few others, but those three in particular are all easy to get and are very similar in the first two stats, if I'm remembering correctly.

By the Might/Crit proc rings, you're referring to the upgraded Rohan rings? I've got my eye on them as soon as I can get into some Erebor raids.
    Definitely get the crit proc one, I don't think you can find crit procs on any other gear. Maybe one other piece that I decided I definitely didn't want to replace what I already had, I dunno. Point is, it's rare.

The might proc, on the other hand, isn't as rare. There's a pocket with the might proc, and not one but two bracelets with it as well, one of them being a class gold. Since you can't proc multiple stacks of +113 or +122 might, it's usually not worth wearing more than one of them. Since I've got the bracelet with +113 proc on it already, I felt getting the gold ring for an extra +9 on the proc might wasn't worth it when I could just wear a ring with 28 more raw might instead. You may decide differently, it's gonna depend a lot on what other jewelry you get.

Also remember that there's a new gold ring for healing purposes that is currently broke, but should work very well for a boost to your group healing after U11.

For those wondering, the U11 rep gear can be seen here

About gear, look no further:
    http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.p...Jewellery-Gear

In PvE RAIDs nothing beats 2 Perseverance + 4 Hytbold Healer for DPS and heal duty. If you are tanking, 2 erebor leader+2 perseverance+2 any crit defense are probably best.
    About builds: LtC works quite well in RAIDs with many targets/defeat events. Ost Dunnoth, Flight and Smaug come to mind, but BfE with reinforcements is a T2 where the main strategy actually benefits from a LtC Captain helping a champion to kill adds waves. In more than one occasion i actually advocate going LtC+S&B to benefit from faster skills animations, rallying cry spam and a shield.

Feeling squishy?
    That's lack of crit defense, tact mit and self-heals.
    In HoH slot SfW.
    Use Sarchol from Pits of Isengard as your cloak, and a hoary platinum band as your ring.
    Crafted pocket level 75 will do wonders for your tact mit without compromising your crtitical rating.
    As a last resort look for critical defense and tactical mitigation in necklace slot.
    With the right earrings you may even use one bracelet slot for more vitality/block and still be overcap on criticals with the proc ring.

I am not a big fan of proc items, but you should try to squeeze at least one of the following procs in your build:
    1-Crit proc from gold rohan ring
    2-Might proc from bracelet ( pocket from sambrog in glass cannon builds)
    3-Mitigations proc from gold rohan ring or teal earring from Lost Temple.
    Last edited by Nascephor; May 06 2013 at 11:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nascephor View Post
    Mitigations proc from gold rohan ring or teal earring from Lost Temple.
    I would recommend against this. In a tank build your mits should be capped without it as the proc is not up full time, and your mits do need to be capped full time. In a heal build you're giving up too many other useful stats to get it, such as the fellowship heal ring or the massive crit on a number of earrings.

Math time for the Mender's Rohan rep ring....

It does a heal 815.7-1165.3 (going by what the tooltip says on E), with a proc cooldown of 30s.

To give me something I can work with, I'll average the high and low, to get an average heal of 990.5. To evaluate this ring in a best case scenario, I'm going to assume it procs once every 30 seconds, so dividing the average by 30 gives us an HPS of 33.01667 per player.

Eh, it's free healing... but I'm not terribly convinced it's worth slotting over another ring =/

And after finding it on LotRO-wiki.com ([url]http://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Item:Wyrmfire_Mender's_Ring_of _Rohanp/url]), it's got a 15% chance to proc on each captain healing skill, and given our slow skill speed....

IMO don't waste the resources on this thing....

Quote Originally Posted by TinDragon View Post
    I would recommend against this. In a tank build your mits should be capped without it as the proc is not up full time, and your mits do need to be capped full time. In a heal build you're giving up too many other useful stats to get it, such as the fellowship heal ring or the massive crit on a number of earrings.
    What rings do you recommend instead?
    Last edited by Almagnus1; May 06 2013 at 01:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Almagnus1 View Post
    Math time for the Mender's Rohan rep ring....

It does a heal 815.7-1165.3 (going by what the tooltip says on E), with a proc cooldown of 30s.

To give me something I can work with, I'll average the high and low, to get an average heal of 990.5. To evaluate this ring in a best case scenario, I'm going to assume it procs once every 30 seconds, so dividing the average by 30 gives us an HPS of 33.01667 per player.

Eh, it's free healing... but I'm not terribly convinced it's worth slotting over another ring =/
    As far as I know the heal currently procs on ST heals only (will probably be changed with U11 to proc on any Captain heals), but the heal itself applies to the whole fellowship within the specified radius, so you can probably multiply your numbers by 6 (or more, if pets and/or Skirm Soldiers are present). Given the fact, that the Mender's Ring features Tact Mastery, there are no dramatically better alternatives out there anyways.

Keep in mind that the heal will likely also be altered by the targets' inc healing rating, so numbers will usually be better than the tooltip values.

Quote Originally Posted by Almagnus1 View Post
    What rings do you recommend instead?
    Beremud's is always a good one. Good balance of might, vit, and finesse (which can be hard to come by).
    Hoary Platinum Band is another possibly good choice, as it offers a lot of might (unlike the mits ring, which is vit heavy) but still gives a ton of survivability in the form of crit defense, which unlike the mits is always active. There's a couple other good ones but I can't think of what they are off the top of my head, since I'm happy with my setup I haven't really been looking for replacements.

I love how every one of you so far has listed 2-Pers as a core part of your raid build, even though you can't agree on anything else. Definitely not broken whatsoever. XD

first, tahnks for this thread. i logged in on Friday for the first time THIS YEAR. im a bit overwhelmed; i am glad my gear hasnt become worthless and i was able to jump in some runs. years of good-will earned me two gold Rohan rings within an hour (as people want to help me now. yay!). oh, and i need to brag, made my first 2nd age emblem and got 6 majors. first 2nd age 85 i made/got my hands on. thatll hold me till the new xpac!

I love how every one of you so far has listed 2-Pers as a core part of your raid build, even though you can't agree on anything else. Definitely not broken whatsoever. XD

this really breask my heart. while i love pvp, ime not interested in it in THIS game... and they seem to be forcing me.

any alternatives for this ironic and backwards system? (needing pvp gear for pve. huh?)

Do what I plan to do: continue to act as though PvP gear doesn't exist and do the best with what I can get from raiding. I'm mostly ignoring people's armour sets and just looking at the jewelry suggestions, for that reason.

Just looking over our current set bonuses... The crit bonus from Erebor Healer's proc looks great, but I'm not sure I want to give up the Valiant Strike cooldown reduction from Hytbold Healer if I'm going to be running around in HoH for most raids. OTOH, I can totally see why folks like EreHealer+Pers so much, since that's a pretty awesome synergy. And in an LtC or Hybrid, 4-EreHealer is still an obvious win. (Though 4-EreCharge wouldn't bad per se, if we had more pure DPS races that we apparently do at this point.)

How do people feel about the various Captain legendary armour pieces? Not the cloak or jewelry, which have been covered elsewhere, but I believe we have gloves, a helm, and I think a breastplate as well, right? Anybody using those for anything?

How do people feel about the various Captain legendary armour pieces? Not the cloak or jewelry, which have been covered elsewhere, but I believe we have gloves, a helm, and I think a breastplate as well, right? Anybody using those for anything?
    well i dont use armour gold because i use 2/4 for bonuses so imo theyre crapy

Do what I plan to do: continue to act as though PvP gear doesn't exist and do the best with what I can get from raiding. I'm mostly ignoring people's armour sets and just looking at the jewelry suggestions, for that reason.

Sadly, there is just no real substitute for perserverence. I run 2 Pers and 4 (command/hyboldt healer) for basically all content, as do many of the folks who replied above.

I think if you aren't willing to get/use perseverence, you should keep 2 old Helegrod pieces. There is some content where RC spam is an epic win that more than compensates for the cruddy stats.

In general, I think set bonuses are worth more than the gold class armor's additional stats and small bonuses....

Honestly, I'm looking over our 2-piece set bonuses, and I'm not feeling moved by anything that's not Pers/Hele. (And, no, I'm not wearing anything from 20 levels below, no matter how OP the set bonus on it is.) 4-Something/2-Gold surely has some legs, if you're not comparing it against "This is completely broken and nobody asked for it and in fact we pretty much demanded that you take it away forever."

6 Second RC >>>>>>>>>>>>>> All

That's why I want that particular armor set bonus to go away.

Honestly, I'm looking over our 2-piece set bonuses, and I'm not feeling moved by anything that's not Pers/Hele. (And, no, I'm not wearing anything from 20 levels below, no matter how OP the set bonus on it is.) 4-Something/2-Gold surely has some legs, if you're not comparing it against "This is completely broken and nobody asked for it and in fact we pretty much demanded that you take it away forever."
    If you really want to EZ Mode the 'Moors Armor pieces, go roll a creep and do dailies on it until you've ground out a few of the map deeds. While a bit on the dull side, it does give you quite a large amount of comms, and also helps make the creep much more mobile should you ever decide to go fight there.

IMO the Erebor healer isn't worth it, and you're better off splicing two legendary captain pieces with 4 Hytbold Healer.

Quote Originally Posted by Vodomir View Post
    As far as I know the heal currently procs on ST heals only (will probably be changed with U11 to proc on any Captain heals), but the heal itself applies to the whole fellowship within the specified radius, so you can probably multiply your numbers by 6 (or more, if pets and/or Skirm Soldiers are present). Given the fact, that the Mender's Ring features Tact Mastery, there are no dramatically better alternatives out there anyways.

Keep in mind that the heal will likely also be altered by the targets' inc healing rating, so numbers will usually be better than the tooltip values.
    But the problem with the proc rate is it only fires off of the usage of our skills, and our skill rate is about one ever 2-3 seconds or so (if I'm remembering the rate correctly), so in an absolute best case, we have 30 skills over the course of a minute, multiplied by .15, which is roughly 4.5 procs a minute ignoring the cooldown.

And right about here is where I realize I've completely forgotten everything from my college stats class.... so can't go from the above to the average time it'd take to get it to proc once XD

The average time to proc + cooldown would give us a better picture of how good this really is.... and sure, it's HPS to the group, but it's not terribly good HPS, since almost all of our skills are gonna blow it by.

And touching on tactical mastery for a bit, it's got 122 might on it with 408 tactical mastery, so if tactical mastery is your big reason for choosing this ring, I'd consider Ring of the Abandoned Hall.
    Last edited by Almagnus1; May 06 2013 at 12:39 PM.

id like to see some of the bonuses spread around or on different armors.

i was reviewing them last night and noticed that Rift armor now have Instant Escape from Darkness as its 2-piece bonus. i could see that being handy, if it wasnt on lvl 50 armor.

for the 6s RC, i do still have all my Helegrod armor, but it weak, and more importatnt: its fugly!

if i was more into LOTRO right now, i guess id grind a creep for two pieces of that.

furtim, i know were in the minority here, but use your player-council clout to steer us away from this near pvp requirment!

Quote Originally Posted by SapienChavez View Post
    furtim, i know were in the minority here, but use your player-council clout to steer us away from this near pvp requirment!
    You aren't necessarily in a minority. Even those who like PvP (such as me, who got into it originally to GET the perseverence, but stayed after i got it) think it is thorougly inappropriate for the best-in-game PvE armors to be acquired through PvP. And the 2 perseverence bonus and (for some content) 4 command bonus ARE the best. Perseverence isn't just good for the rallying cry, it also drops SL and Routing Cry cooldowns, which are helpful for a variety of builds...

I feel similarly about the R8 banner to some degree, as it is often a best-in-game PvE item...

So you post a thread asking for advice on builds and the one thing that gains consensus as useful to a build (the 2 set perseverance bonus) you ignore? It seems you excel at taking in feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by SapienChavez View Post
    This is as good a place as any to lay down a disclaimer that I can't promise to take any specific actions about anything, nor does anything I post in this thread or other public threads necessarily indicate anything that may or may not be happening with the Council. When I post in here, I'm posting as a player. I think you guys all understand that, but it bears reiterating anyway.

What I can say is that I think my opinions on this topic have been stated quite frequently and clearly in the Captain forum and indeed in this very thread. :P

Quote Originally Posted by ThorgrinIronhide View Post
    So you post a thread asking for advice on builds and the one thing that gains consensus as useful to a build (the 2 set perseverance bonus) you ignore? It seems you excel at taking in feedback.
    I don't play PvMP and am not about to start, so it's not particularly useful advice for me or for any of the other Captains (probably the majority of them) who likewise don't play PvMP.

Then perhaps you should have placed this caveat in your initial post instead of being largely dismissive of people who were trying to contribute to your thread and help you out for being admittedly lazy.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast