We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Minstrel Music For RP Purposes

Hey guys. I'm fairly new to LotRO RP and I have a minstrel character. I was wondering if anyone knows where one could find ABC files for music that would fit RP in the game (Performances, etc.)

Hullo and welcome to LOTRO! Playing music is for me one of the major draws of this game, so it is good to see more players embracing it!

There is an updated list of current LOTRO music resources over LOTRO /Music . The same site also has several good-quality ABCs available, which should be a fine starting point.

As for which music that "would fit RP in the game", opinions are likely to differ between "none" and "all" *smiles*

Personally, I mostly try to stick to folk music from Great Britain and Ireland when roleplaying my hobbit, if for no other reason than the similarities between The Shire and old rural England. So reels, waltzes, jigs, etc. are my first choices. Still, I often branch out to other types of folk music as well (american/bluegrass, for instance), or even more modern-day music if I am in the mood for it and I think I can make it work in the game setting somehow. So my recommendation is to experiment a bit and try to find a sound that suits you, and to be sure to have some fun on the way.

Good luck with your forays into LOTRO music! I see your character is a hobbit minstrel, and if so, you are very welcome to the Green Dragon in Bywater on Fridays. Hobbits meet here weekly to share news, play music and dance the night away, and it is a good place if you want to try your first performances in front of a friendly crowd.
    Lina Willowwood, biscuit-eating bard on Laurelin
    Hobbit RP? Grand Order of the Lost Mathom
    Songs + videos on me biscuity burrow

Hi there!

Another good site that is presently undergoing a face lift is..

http://www.thefatlute.eu

Granted not everything there is RP suitable but there is a big selection to pick from!

Happy hunting!
    Ellionn - Elf - Champion
    Taur Calad - http://taur-calad.shivtr.com
    May the blessing of Elves and Men and all Free Folk go with you. May the stars shine upon your faces!

Quote Originally Posted by Linawillow View Post
    There is an updated list of current LOTRO music resources over LOTRO /Music . The same site also has several good-quality ABCs available, which should be a fine starting point.
    Nice site!
    Just have one question; I looked at the Irish folk music section and clicked on a song that had a catchy name. When I did, a page full or numbers and symbols came up (http://lotromusic.mymiddleearth.com/...l-for-me-grog/) and I had no idea how to download the actual abc file.
    How exactly do I get the song so that I can add it to my 'Music' file to play in-game?
    Thanks.

The numbers and symbols are basically the printed contents of the ABC file. To play in in-game, yer can:

- Open up a blank text document (Windows Notepad will do)
    - Copy the numbers and symbols and paste into the blank text document. In the linked file, you'd want to copy everything from %transcribed... to the ending ... d/8
    - Save the file with an .abc file ending (for instance, as grog.abc), in your music folder.

Then you should be able to play it in-game through your usual means, be it manual or (after a rescan of files) by using the Songbook plugin.

You can also install the LOTRO ABC player if you want to test your file outside of the game.

Alternatively, you can nose around on Firefern's converter site. . Here you can download some files directly in ABC format, and some of these are also good for solo play. If you register, you can also start converting your own ABC files from midis.
    Lina Willowwood, biscuit-eating bard on Laurelin
    Hobbit RP? Grand Order of the Lost Mathom
    Songs + videos on me biscuity burrow

Quote Originally Posted by KratosX View Post
    Nice site!
    Just have one question; I looked at the Irish folk music section and clicked on a song that had a catchy name. When I did, a page full or numbers and symbols came up (http://lotromusic.mymiddleearth.com/...l-for-me-grog/) and I had no idea how to download the actual abc file.
    How exactly do I get the song so that I can add it to my 'Music' file to play in-game?
    Thanks.
    If you look at the "A Beginner's Guide to Playing /Music" under the Guides tab under the header it will give you detailed instructions with pictures.

I would like to point out that I discovered a problem with some of the files posted on the site where the wordpress formatting cut off some of the code and made the file unusable in game. I am currently working on updated the formatting on all the files to make sure they all work. So if you encounter one that doesn't play correctly come back later this week and it will be fixed. The ones that have the greyish background and the little scroll bar across the bottom are already fixed.

Thank you guys for the replies!

I'll be downloading plenty of music and getting online with some of my characters, hopefully I'll see you guys in-game.

Greetings to ya Sire!

As a dwarf that dwaddle a tiny bit in the music 'business' on the Laurelin server (just an amateur though) i also would like to point ya to another website that helped me when I was first starting out trying to make sense of all those strings on the lute :-)

The adress is: http://www.lotro-abc.com
    (ya might want to turn off the built in music player at that site at the top while browsing).

It got quite a big collection of tunes from all types of genre's so you should be able to find something to play there.
    (For those of ya that need multi-part files, this is also a good place to look). Just remember that music like metallica and likewise aint exactly RP material :-)

So, welcome to Laurelin and our fantastic community of friendly and helpfull players, and are looking forward to hearing ya ingame.
    (and as Lina says, the Green Dragon Friday's is a 'must' place to be.

Best regards
    Grymrock Grey.
    Leader of 'Order of the Divine Brew' kinship at [EN-RP] Laurelin server.
    Bandleader of 'The Chosen Few' at the [En-RP] Laurelin server.

Many many great advices from my fellow friends above here. I do not have much to add.

I am sure you will find what you look for. As for what kind of music that fit Middle Earth. This is really about taste.
    Myself I love it when Strollers/Hobbit heart (hobbitbands) do their Irish/scottish Jigs in Shire, and Andunie(elfs) do their classical-like songs in Celondim/Rivendell, and Grymrock and co do their Traditional/Folk songs in Bree.

Another advice: Do find music you like, is no point to find music you don't like just because you wanna find music that fit in. Then you will loose the fun about the ingame music system.I don't miind hearing for example: Enya; Blackmore'snight and Lorenna Mckennit around. This are wellknowned artists, but they very attached to celtic/irish sound, and their arrangement seems to fit the music system/instruments very well. Of course many play songs from this artists. So is always great to hear new stuff from similar artists.

But I would say: avoid monster hits, and todays Top 20 artists.I will think to much on Real world when I hear this kind of music. and electronic music/metal doesnt suit to well the ingame music instruments either. For me is difficult to take a ingame band on a Roleplay server seriously if they violate music like this to much with the instruments that are present ingame.

Ps: but there are always exceptions, i love to be proven wrong.

But again is all about taste, this were just my opinions.
    Last edited by Achy; May 07 2013 at 04:13 AM.
    Achazia Songweaver
    Songwriter in The Shades. Listen to my music at Soundcloud and Radio Rivendell
    Contributor at Lotro Players
    The Shadows

Good thing we never played our 'Ace of Base' tunes, or our tunes by Madonna for ya then, Lady Achazia :-)
    Leader of 'Order of the Divine Brew' kinship at [EN-RP] Laurelin server.
    Bandleader of 'The Chosen Few' at the [En-RP] Laurelin server.

Red face

Welcome to our Musical Community, master hobbit

Should you need any help and assistance on musical matter, please do feel free to ask

*cheers*
    Amorey
    Laurelin Archives Webteam