We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Hybrid View

Evernight Think Tank

Hi guys.

A comment on globallff about how Evernight's population is dying sparked an interesting discussion on how to revive it. We spoke for over an hour about different strategies, and here are some that seemed popular:

-Use the forums more, and use them to promote the server to new players
    -Host a unique event, something like Weatherstock on Landroval
    -Spend time between raids in Bree, meeting, greeting and helping newbies
    -Form grinding groups to make deeding more interesting for F2P players
    -Create "Aid Packages" for new players
    -Try to get Evernight marked as the recommended server for a month or two

Obviously not all are viable and it would take a lot of work, but I am confident that we can reserect this great server.

Another idea I thought of was to try to get as many people onto globallff as possible. Many players choosing a server use the size of that room to judge server population.

Please feel free to post feedback and ideas in this forum. I might create a chat room exclusively for this sort of thing, depending on the reaction

Forth Everknights, let us take back what is rightfully ours!
    Last edited by RohirricCaptain; May 04 2013 at 03:03 AM.
    [CENTER]Join GlobalLFF, the only way to bring the server together!

Vote for [URL="https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?161639-SUGGESTION-Housing-Redesign"]Adder's Housing Revamp[/URL] and [URL="https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?385713-Kinship-Revamp-Proposal"]Galuhad's Kinship Revamp[/URL]! Vote for progress![/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by RohirricCaptain View Post
    Hi guys.

A comment on globallff about how Evernight's population is dying sparked an interesting discussion on how to revive it. We spoke for over an hour about different strategies, and here are some that seemed popular:

-Use the forums more, and use them to promote the server to new players
    -Host a unique event, something like Weatherstock on Landroval
    -Spend time between raids in Bree, meeting, greeting and helping newbies
    -Form grinding groups to make deeding more interesting for F2P players
    -Create "Aid Packages" for new players
    -Try to get Evernight marked as the recommended server for a month or two

Obviously not all are viable and it would take a lot of work, but I am confident that we can reserect this great server.

Another idea I thought of was to try to get as many people onto globallff as possible. Many players choosing a server use the size of that room to judge server population.

Please feel free to post feedback and ideas in this forum. I might create a chat room exclusively for this sort of thing, depending on the reaction

Forth Everknights, let us take back what is rightfully ours!
    Yes, I saw the doom-mongering that you were all generating in Global yesterday... Though the only way I can judge the server population is through my kin, we've only been seeing a couple more than usual (out of about 10-20 active per night) not logging on, and I believe that this is because we're in the lull between updates, when its always quiet. That said, some of your measures are appropriate and good (though Evernight players seem to have a low BS acceptance level...)

- Forums aren't really the best way, as new players aren't often forum checkers, they just jump straight in to the game.
    - Unique events are a good idea - this will bring players across on alts from different servers and they may enjoy what they find.
    - Who do you plan to get to do this sponsored low player help? There's nothing in Bree which is beyond solo difficulty, though I do help if a low level kinny wants to run a GB. The best thing that we can do is to advertise the globalLFF channel, so that everyone has access to advice even when in an underpopulated area.
    - Grinding groups - you're not referring to the iPhone app are you? :P Seriously, how would you do this without simply using global as people do now to advertise their deeds that they don't want to grind solo?
    - Aid packages? Elaborate a bit. Because the stuff that you get per level up until 20 iirc from those 'gifts' from Turbine are pretty decent.
    - Do recommended servers still exist? If so I hadn't noticed :P
    - Taravan, R12 Captain - Tirian, Tanking Guardian - Telperon, Completionist LM -
    - Afranius, R9 WL - Tolobain, R7 Weaver - Vargan, R6 Stalker -

Ex-Leader of Lost Realm of Imladris - Evernight - Co-Founder of Beauty and the Beasts

The aid-packages I give my friends and kinnies
    usually consist of 500 silver and help running through
    Haudh Iarchith a couple of times. It gives them the
    ability to get a mount (deed+rep TP).

Also some crafted gear around level 30 where I find
    the quest-stuff to be a bit lacking.

The grinding groups you(Taravan) are talking about is usually
    groups of 85ers trying to get their virtues done. I think
    OP is talking more about lowlevel easy deeds that for new
    players may feel like a grind (telling em at that time about
    Forochel deeds is a sure-fire way to make em quit), but
    which they REALLY need to do, not for virtues, but for TP
    so they can afford their next questpack.

Biggest issue is that these players, unless brought here by
    friends, have no knowledge of channels like GlobalLFF and
    are therefore hard to reach.

Sometimes I wish we could have a Server MotD, like the
    kinship MotD, maybe advising people to join GlobalLFF.
    This would however flare up the fight between Pure-LFF
    and Wannabe-social-in-GLFF's...

./joinchannel GobalSocial?

Thumbs up Global Social

I agree with that idea. Global Lff is supposed to be used for Looking For Fellowship (hence the name) but if we create another channel and advertise it enough, we might be on to something

Nice thinking EvAmy!
    Can't wait for a better Evernight.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/222190000001fca3b/01005/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Peek-a-Boo! I KILL you!

Thanks for the replies.

In reply to Tirian:
    -I don't know, I recall seeing quite a few "Which server is the best to start on?" threads
    -That was what I thought. We thought of possibly a foot race along the Path of the Fellowship, but that wouldn't be feasible due to Moria's entry conditions. Another idea I thought of was a player-run, one-day festival.
    -To clarify what I meant by "help", I mainly meant to clarify things for them, show them the ropes of game mechanics, that sort of thing. I know that I for one wouldn't bother helping with low-level quests after doing them many times
    -By this, I was thinking some kind of scheduled deeding groups for 1-30 deeds, on a rotating basis. To make things more interesting we could try, for example, saying that lvl 50+ characters must use cosmetic weapons (tools from mathom society, festival flowers, beer mugs, etc.)
    -This one wasn't my idea, but from what I understand it's like what EvAmy says: some armour, some cash, and a helping of advice or quest aid
    -They do, and it really helps from what I've heard. The latest recommended server (Withywindle iirc) has apparently had a decent spike in population afaik

EvAmy, that is exactly what I was thinking. The deeds we would help with would be the starter areas and Lone-lands, for the TP for their 30-40 quest pack. And to answer your question, I think the best thing would be for those giving advice to new players to tell them to join global, be it social or lff.

Maybe it would be best to do as you say, separate the social and the lff. There is nothing stopping people from joining both, raiders will be able to call for groups uninterrupted, and we can have a channel to chat without inconveniencing others. Excellent thinking!

Vote for [URL="https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?161639-SUGGESTION-Housing-Redesign"]Adder's Housing Revamp[/URL] and [URL="https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?385713-Kinship-Revamp-Proposal"]Galuhad's Kinship Revamp[/URL]! Vote for progress![/CENTER]

Before I forget: Garth Agarwen groups
    Big help in showing people what they are supposed to
    do in a group and another source of (rep-)TP.

I may have to get my second Guardian up to that level
    then lock him with a Stone of the Turtle though...

Sounds like a great idea EvAmy!

A quick update: Evernight is now the recommended server, and when I suggested the split on Globallff, I nearly got eaten whole! :P

So now's our chance! Lets try to hold onto as many of the new players that join us as possible!