We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Are you happy with the current legendary item system?

I wish to find out how many people are happy with it compared to how many people aren't happy with it.

Are you happy with it? Please explain why.
    Not happy with it? Explain what you think is missing or should be changed, etc.

That is all. Thankyou.

-----

Results: Like(17), Dislike(49)
    ^ Will update this every few hours.

-----
    Last edited by Graycient; Jul 06 2013 at 08:07 PM.

Miasto Stołeczne Warszawa (The Capital City of Warsaw)
    Yes.

Few minor tweaks could be nice, but over all, I like it.
    fire rk is just hunt clone without evade, ports and lower mits, or LM clone without CC, pets and 1 less gear slot.
    thx for destroying yellow line and the entire class with it

I'm in the middle.

Here are some things I like:
    • I like that it gives me another way to customize my character.
    • I like the thrill of getting desirable legacies when I identify.
    • I like the chase of tracking down new legacies to replace the undesirable ones.
    • I like the process of my item leveling up.
    • I like being able to customize it for different situations with relatively cheap titles. (There's little need for this anymore though.)
    • I like picking out the relics that are right for me.
    Here are some things I dislike:
    • I dislike the various tiers of legacies. They don't make the system any more interesting, just grindy.
    • I dislike the sale of enhancements and especially relics in the LOTRO Store. To me, this is basically selling end-game gear. (You're selling an item with stats on it.)
    • I'm heartbroken every time there's a level cap increase and I'm pressured to replace my LIs. I can't think of a simple way around this though that would still keep players interested.
    • I dislike being stuck with the appearance of my LIs. I wish I could extract an "appearance legacy" from another LI of the same class and type and apply it to a new one.
    • I dislike the ever increasing cost of melding relics.
    Overall, I think there's more to like than dislike, so put me down in the "like" column, please.
    Last edited by Fredelas; May 03 2013 at 08:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Graycient View Post
    I wish to find out how many people are happy with it compared to how many people aren't happy with it.

Are you happy with it? Please explain why.
    Not happy with it? Explain what you think is missing or should be changed, etc.

That is all. Thankyou.

-----

Results: Like(0), Dislike(0)
    ^ Will update this accordingly.

-----

P.S. Mods please leave it in General Chat. Not enough players go into the LI forums.
    No. The original expectations, that "grow with you" mark, were never met, and now LIs are tied to the store such that we will never see positive, player-friendly change. It's grindy and RNG-riffic (yes yes, grind is relative and all that). However, this iteration is certainly better than the original Moria implementation. But considering how much effort you can put into your LI, it's effectively a second character or pet. These things shouldn't be disposable.

Also, not enough players visit the forums, period. Remember the giant LI feedback thread prior to the first (and only) major revamp? The only reason why the official discussion thread got so much traffic was because Turbine linked it from the game launcher. That's the only way to get anywhere near an accurate assessment of player opinions about LI mechanics.
    [url="https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?506048-Talent-trees-class-roles-and-player-choice"]Talent trees, class roles, and player choice[/url]
    Crafting crit chance analysis: [URL="https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?410893-Sample-size-THREE-THOUSAND"]3000 sample size[/URL], [URL="https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?420198-Sample-size-ONE-THOUSAND"]1000 sample size[/URL]

I'm basically with Fredelas on this one.
    If you'd ask me what i want though it would be a weapon that stays and levels with me forever without ever having a need to replace it.

I like some aspects of it but I feel like the game content as of late has been easy enough, and expansion packs (with 10 levels each even) have been soon enough since the last that first ages are really an unnecessary aspect of the game for anything outside of PVP. Tier 2 raids are easily accomplished by even first timers with half a hytbold set and a second age, so first ages in my opinion are for bragging rights and duels in the Ettenmoors.

If the expansion packs were 1-2 years apart, only 5 levels, the content more difficult, or Ettenmoors access possible for premium players I would definitely play more often and try to be among the first people to get a first age weapon. Until some of that changes though I'll just take my nearly free second age weapon and breeze through the content. I definitely don't want it to get any easier.

I had a nice post explaining why I'm not happy with the LI system and I got logged out. And I forgot to copy my post before hitting submit.

I'll just keep the post short and say the process of changing LIs is tedious, I don't want to explain again.

God, these forums suck......
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
    Continuing the never ending battle to keep Lobelia Sackville-Baggins in check

I think a really really great feature to be added is the ability to apply a cosmetic appearance (like on our gear) to our weapons also, albeit the cosmetic appearance MUST match the weapon. For example:

A. You can replace the appearance of a one-handed sword with that of another one-handed sword;
    B. You cannot replace the appearance of a two-handed sword with that of a bow;
    C. You cannot replace the appearance of an axe with that of a mace;
    D. You can't replace the appearance of a bow, with a crossbow or vice-versa;
    E. Replacing the appearances of items will make no change in stats or item quality;

This would be a great feature to add, and it's similar to the legendary warsteed system in which we can customise the appearance of our steed. If Turbine expanded upon this and added the option for players to do the same with their weapons, it would be a huge plus since it allows Turbine to add the appearance of weapons to the LOTRO store and encourage players to farm dungeons for that really cool weapon which was once the best in-game item. I particularly like the swords you can barter in Rift, and I would like to replace the appearance of my legendary sword with that.

If this were to occur, it would also be logical to allow shields and off-hand weapons (normal weapons) to also have their appearance customised. After all, weaponry and shields can technically be modified in appearance, such as the hilt can be replaced, or the symbols in a shield can be redrawn. It would provide quite a lot for new crafting opportunities, since many players have a tendency to make their characters as fancy as possible.

Currently, the legendary item system is fine, and the above suggestion is in my opinion how it can be improved.
    [CENTER][I]Mephistopholes - Level 100 Champion (Focus: Tank)
    ~Never Alone~[/I][/CENTER]

It reminds me of something that happened in Asheron's Call. Originally there was a huge variety of really awesome and intriguing weapons that you could get from doing various quests (keep in mind a quest in AC was much more involved than a LOTRO quest and typically involved multiple activities such as farming rare drops, crafting, and running instances, etc). Lots of unique models, unique effects, etc. Then Turbine released a way that you could imbue randomly dropped weapons with powerful enchantments that pretty much made all the quest items irrelevant overnight. The new weapons were nice, but they just didn't have the cool factor that the specially designed unique quest weapons had. Eventually Turbine started including built in enchantments on the quest weapons so that they were relevant again.

I'd like to see something like that happen with weapons in LOTRO. Currently LI's are the ONLY viable option for your main weapon. Why not include special weapons that have some of the same types of bonuses that a Legendary item has built in so that it can match or even surpass a legendary item.

Other gripes:

One reason I liked my dwarf minstrel was the racial ability that allowed him to use an axe. No legendary axes for minnies

Originally when we heard about LI's I was expecting that they would have cool special effects like proc'ing different effects, summoning temporary pets, "on-click" effects, etc. I would like this added onto the LI system.
    [center][font=arial][color=teal]Wrymstrum R5 Guardian[/color][/font]
    [b][size=+1][font=chiller][color=red]Corrupt R5 Orc Reaver[/color][/size][/font]
    [/b][/center]

Quote Originally Posted by Fredelas View Post
    I'm in the middle.

Here are some things I like:
    • I like that it gives me another way to customize my character.
    • I like the thrill of getting desirable legacies when I identify.
    • I like the chase of tracking down new legacies to replace the undesirable ones.
    • I like the process of my item leveling up.
    • I like being able to customize it for different situations with relatively cheap titles. (There's little need for this anymore though.)
    • I like picking out the relics that are right for me.
    I'd pretty much agree with this on the like side.

As for my dislike:
    • I dislike doing nearly the whole thing over again (resulting in the exact same LI, just at the next level cap)
    • I dislike doing nearly the whole thing over again (resulting in the exact same LI, just at the next level cap)
    [u][url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmEsCKAb7r0"]Sauron vs. Tom Bombadil[/url][/u][COLOR="Red"] [/color][COLOR="Orange"] A fun what-if video I hope brings a smile[/color][COLOR="Red"][/color]

I wish when you deconned an LI you could have the option to choose to extract an empowerment scroll instead of a legacy because once you have your LI legacies set up, there's no point in getting any more legacies and this would help with the tier upgrade grind a little bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Fipiara View Post

As for my dislike:
    ^Players who believe LIs somehow allow further character progression and customization should keep this in mind. Typically you will find that legacy (and even relic) combination you prefer and stick with it, but this happens ONCE. Then the rest of the LI game is re-grinding at each level cap and feeling something is lost when you can't recreate that earlier LI with meh RNG luck (like 5 majors out of 6 or something).

This is why I look at Helm's Deep not with any excitement over mechanical progression but rather resignation. LIs aren't something you can ignore if you like running "more challenging" content (whatever that is, will vary from person to person), and they're so inextricably tied to all questing and the store. Eh. :/
    [url="https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?506048-Talent-trees-class-roles-and-player-choice"]Talent trees, class roles, and player choice[/url]
    Crafting crit chance analysis: [URL="https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?410893-Sample-size-THREE-THOUSAND"]3000 sample size[/URL], [URL="https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?420198-Sample-size-ONE-THOUSAND"]1000 sample size[/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by Fipiara View Post

As for my dislike:
    That's a good point. The problem is that they tied class specialization into the legacies, so they have to keep the same legacies unless they want to change the way a class plays. Which means it's going to seem like the same process if you want to play the same way.
    [center][font=arial][color=teal]Wrymstrum R5 Guardian[/color][/font]
    [b][size=+1][font=chiller][color=red]Corrupt R5 Orc Reaver[/color][/size][/font]
    [/b][/center]

It's terribly executed.

It should work more like Skirmish soldiers, IMHO.

My two cents: The overall LI grind is one of the least grindy aspects of an overly grindy game so in general I don't mind it. I'm not crazy about it, but it's far down on my list of complaints about LOTRO. That said, there are 2 aspects I wish they would change:

1) The shard grind has gotten completely out of control. This is especially true given that when they revamped LI's a couple of years ago, it was supposed to make LI's less grindy. Getting old T9s under the old system was significantly less of a grind than what it takes to get crafted relics now. At least make it so you get a full refund of shards when you decon a crafted LI to move up to the next tier.

2) The randomness of passives on things like guard belts is frustrating. Preferably make them all the same. Less preferably, give us a way to improve these (which would inevitably mean more grind/store exploitation). But either way, someone's ability to play shouldn't come down to whether they got lucky on an RNG. It's bad enough this is the general direction of the game. But FAs are hard enough to get without adding randomness to what you end up crafting with them.

Quote Originally Posted by a99barnsey View Post

I'd like to see something like that happen with weapons in LOTRO. Currently LI's are the ONLY viable option for your main weapon. Why not include special weapons that have some of the same types of bonuses that a Legendary item has built in so that it can match or even surpass a legendary item.

Other gripes:

One reason I liked my dwarf minstrel was the racial ability that allowed him to use an axe. No legendary axes for minnies

Originally when we heard about LI's I was expecting that they would have cool special effects like proc'ing different effects, summoning temporary pets, "on-click" effects, etc. I would like this added onto the LI system.
    I like those ideas. Good job.

I am happy with the LI system, but I haven't maxed out a weapon or anything yet. I'm not crazy about deconstructing LIs to get relics, but overall I do like most of the system.

Miasto Stołeczne Warszawa (The Capital City of Warsaw)
    Quote Originally Posted by NukeTheLag View Post
    My two cents: The overall LI grind is one of the least grindy aspects of an overly grindy game so in general I don't mind it. I'm not crazy about it, but it's far down on my list of complaints about LOTRO. That said, there are 2 aspects I wish they would change:

1) The shard grind has gotten completely out of control. This is especially true given that when they revamped LI's a couple of years ago, it was supposed to make LI's less grindy. Getting old T9s under the old system was significantly less of a grind than what it takes to get crafted relics now. At least make it so you get a full refund of shards when you decon a crafted LI to move up to the next tier.
    Lol.

I returned to game 3 weeks ago, and I already have 140k shards (spent 45k tonight hoping I can sell emps and delvings, but unfortunately, they became BtA, melded 6 relics with ~10k shard cost and few smaller ones).
    Getting shards is extremally easy, unless you're solo player never doing any instances.

Anyway, I like having to recreate items.
    Aquiring weapon in Moria, and never ever ever looking for a new one would not be a good mechanic IMO (that said I still carry lvl65 1age bag on my RK because I wanted to have all legacies maxed instead of better relics and few more stat points from 2age lvl85 )

What I don't like are: random stats, random majors/minors, random appereance, and randomness in Legacies (had to deconstruct 15 satchels tonight before having 4 legacies I need for a new one, but at least it earned me few K shards ;p).

I would like it to have improved by spending shards, for example, 1 minor legacy chosen by player- 6k shards, 1 major- 10k, or improvement to stats for some shards.
    fire rk is just hunt clone without evade, ports and lower mits, or LM clone without CC, pets and 1 less gear slot.
    thx for destroying yellow line and the entire class with it

No. I don't like how you have to get a new one every 5-10 levels. Instead, the symbols you need to craft the next tier LI should be used to upgrade your existing one. Not to take away from all the 'fun' of grinding for the necessary materials to get the best weapon for your level, but to make them feel more like an actual legendary weapon, rather than just higher level vendor trash (or shard fodder, as it were).
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/13213000000002684/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Trilwych View Post
    No. The original expectations, that "grow with you" mark, were never met, <snip>.
    This to be honest, I remember before legendary weapons came into being I read the 'weapons that grow with you' stuff and liked the idea, then guess what? it turned out to be nothing of the sort and you're either looking at massive grind to get the various upgrades over a huge amount of time or do what the lazy do and head to the store.

Then wait a while and do it again

that's not a weapon that grows with me, it's a way to open my wallet (because I'm lazy), I keep falling for it when I should know better.

No.

I like almost everything about it, except the level requirements. I abhor scrapping a weapon every few levels or with every new level cap increase. Instead, the weapon or class item should level the main stat as your character levels. FAs and SAs should provide slightly better main stats. Then they should make the titles/relics/tier upgrades/level cap upgrades be usable/slottable based on the character's level.

Of course, the problem with this idea is that constantly scrapping LIs makes Turbine more money than having one constant weapon that only needs a few changes. The answer would be to progress the legacies on the weapons as the character levels, making tiers of legacies increase above the current cap, and finally, making relics worth grinding and slotting, to the point that people want to buy item xp tomes, relic combine tomes, and/or purchase relics from the store.

It all translates into a lot of work. The first overhaul alone would be a big effort, and every time the level cap is increased balancing this idea over what we have now would be more difficult. They are updating housing, so who knows. Maybe we'll see a new LI system someday.

I don't mind most of the system, even the more 'grindy' parts. I do wish that it could change in one way, although I dare say it would have to result in relics being destroyed.

If you could use you next level of Symbol of Celebrimbor to 're-craft' and upgrade the weapon you have (Maybe in Rivendell a la Narsil). To combat the fact that crafters would then have nothing to do perhaps a necessary ingredient made by a relevant crafter would suffice for upgrading (Hilt for sword etc).

Personally I dislike it. More grind than customization. Really not worth it if you have more than one character.

I like it

it's a good money sink and something to work on.

however I would like to see more recipies for differant skins. for example - easterman sword, rohirrim sword. and just remove some of the dery legacies (you know the ones I mean) or convert them into completely viable options for differant set-up. never have a master legacys too, that seems a little broken (like hunters bow are)

I do wish (like you commented on somewhere else) that LI's weren't in moors at all, special moors weapons so PvE doesn't effect PvP!!!
    [CENTER][URL=http://s739.photobucket.com/user/bubushum/media/signiturepre1_zps427684ba.png.html][IMG]http://i739.photobucket.com/albums/xx38/bubushum/signiturepre1_zps427684ba.png[/IMG][/URL][/CENTER]

No.

To much confusing and not streamlined, add that we have no option about their appearance and replace them a couple of level again to start the level grind for them.

What we need to fulfill the original promise of LI's that 'level with you' is Item Level Upgrade Scrolls.

When the level cap is raised each year, players currently have to take their lovingly and time-consumingly built perfect LI and scrap it to start the process all over again. If we could upgrade the level of the LI then players would have a choice of starting over like usual, or we could hunt for a rare drop that would upgrade their LI's actual level by 1. Alternatively, make the scrolls barterable for Seals or the new barter currency for the latest expansion.

To prevent farming and storage for future need, the scrolls should have a minimum and maximum level. For example, to take an old First Age LI from 60 to 85 would require 10 Item Level Upgrade Scrolls (60-70), 10 Item Level Upgrade Scrolls (70-80), and 5 Item Level Upgrade Scrolls (80-90). Each time the level is increased the DPS would be increased for the new level, and existing stat bonuses would be updated as well with random new ones being added where needed. At the end of the process you'd have the same thing as if you'd made a new 85 FA from a symbol, only all the improvements you'd put into it before would still be there.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast