We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hybrid View

Are you happy with the current legendary item system?

I wish to find out how many people are happy with it compared to how many people aren't happy with it.

Are you happy with it? Please explain why.
    Not happy with it? Explain what you think is missing or should be changed, etc.

That is all. Thankyou.

-----

Results: Like(17), Dislike(49)
    ^ Will update this every few hours.

-----
    Last edited by Graycient; Jul 06 2013 at 08:07 PM.

Miasto Stołeczne Warszawa (The Capital City of Warsaw)
    Yes.

Few minor tweaks could be nice, but over all, I like it.
    fire rk is just hunt clone without evade, ports and lower mits, or LM clone without CC, pets and 1 less gear slot.
    thx for destroying yellow line and the entire class with it

Quote Originally Posted by Vellrad View Post
    Yes.

This, yep.
    LotRO videos! [url]https://www.youtube.com/user/michaelotte54/[/url]
    15.2 Beta roaming threats [url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWigcgKf1CQ[/url]

Angry Bad Bad Bad

Quote Originally Posted by Vellrad View Post
    Yes.

Likes: Customizable weapons, designed around skills and level and play style

Dislikes: All the time and work you put into leveling a weapon is lost when you deconstruct it in that relics are not worth much, extracting legacies that you can't give to an alt or trade or even use if the weapon is higher (I thought this was the whole point of extracting a legacy was so we could use it again ... but no), just disappointed in general that nothing has changed in five years and people seem to not care or are complacent. If I had know all my work was for naught I would just be leveling up one weapon or two or three but this system is designed to just make you repeat things OVER AND OVER AD INFINITUM with no result.

Sorry Turbine but you need to fix this!
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0b20c00000007f592/01003/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

I'm in the middle.

Here are some things I like:
    • I like that it gives me another way to customize my character.
    • I like the thrill of getting desirable legacies when I identify.
    • I like the chase of tracking down new legacies to replace the undesirable ones.
    • I like the process of my item leveling up.
    • I like being able to customize it for different situations with relatively cheap titles. (There's little need for this anymore though.)
    • I like picking out the relics that are right for me.
    Here are some things I dislike:
    • I dislike the various tiers of legacies. They don't make the system any more interesting, just grindy.
    • I dislike the sale of enhancements and especially relics in the LOTRO Store. To me, this is basically selling end-game gear. (You're selling an item with stats on it.)
    • I'm heartbroken every time there's a level cap increase and I'm pressured to replace my LIs. I can't think of a simple way around this though that would still keep players interested.
    • I dislike being stuck with the appearance of my LIs. I wish I could extract an "appearance legacy" from another LI of the same class and type and apply it to a new one.
    • I dislike the ever increasing cost of melding relics.
    Overall, I think there's more to like than dislike, so put me down in the "like" column, please.
    Last edited by Fredelas; May 03 2013 at 08:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fredelas View Post
    I'm in the middle.

Here are some things I like:
    • I like that it gives me another way to customize my character.
    • I like the thrill of getting desirable legacies when I identify.
    • I like the chase of tracking down new legacies to replace the undesirable ones.
    • I like the process of my item leveling up.
    • I like being able to customize it for different situations with relatively cheap titles. (There's little need for this anymore though.)
    • I like picking out the relics that are right for me.
    I'd pretty much agree with this on the like side.

As for my dislike:
    • I dislike doing nearly the whole thing over again (resulting in the exact same LI, just at the next level cap)
    • I dislike doing nearly the whole thing over again (resulting in the exact same LI, just at the next level cap)
    [u][url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmEsCKAb7r0"]Sauron vs. Tom Bombadil[/url][/u][COLOR="Red"] [/color][COLOR="Orange"] A fun what-if video I hope brings a smile[/color][COLOR="Red"][/color]

Quote Originally Posted by Fipiara View Post

As for my dislike:
    ^Players who believe LIs somehow allow further character progression and customization should keep this in mind. Typically you will find that legacy (and even relic) combination you prefer and stick with it, but this happens ONCE. Then the rest of the LI game is re-grinding at each level cap and feeling something is lost when you can't recreate that earlier LI with meh RNG luck (like 5 majors out of 6 or something).

This is why I look at Helm's Deep not with any excitement over mechanical progression but rather resignation. LIs aren't something you can ignore if you like running "more challenging" content (whatever that is, will vary from person to person), and they're so inextricably tied to all questing and the store. Eh. :/
    [url="https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?506048-Talent-trees-class-roles-and-player-choice"]Talent trees, class roles, and player choice[/url]
    Crafting crit chance analysis: [URL="https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?410893-Sample-size-THREE-THOUSAND"]3000 sample size[/URL], [URL="https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?420198-Sample-size-ONE-THOUSAND"]1000 sample size[/URL]

As for my dislike:
    That's a good point. The problem is that they tied class specialization into the legacies, so they have to keep the same legacies unless they want to change the way a class plays. Which means it's going to seem like the same process if you want to play the same way.
    [center][font=arial][color=teal]Wrymstrum R5 Guardian[/color][/font]
    [b][size=+1][font=chiller][color=red]Corrupt R5 Orc Reaver[/color][/size][/font]
    [/b][/center]

It's terribly executed.

It should work more like Skirmish soldiers, IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by trancejeremy View Post
    It's terribly executed.

It should work more like Skirmish soldiers, IMHO.
    Yes, get rid of the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd age. Just give me a weapon that levels with me and that I can customize for different things. Much like the Skirmish Soldiers current system. With cosmetics and such.

It is such a pain to get the correct legacies you want and then level them up. Get the relics you need. Only to have all your hard work go down the drain come the next expansion and that first age you worked so hard for is being out DPS'ed by the level cap 3rd ager you picked up.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/072060000000c5598/signature.png]Tychicus[/charsig]

My two cents: The overall LI grind is one of the least grindy aspects of an overly grindy game so in general I don't mind it. I'm not crazy about it, but it's far down on my list of complaints about LOTRO. That said, there are 2 aspects I wish they would change:

1) The shard grind has gotten completely out of control. This is especially true given that when they revamped LI's a couple of years ago, it was supposed to make LI's less grindy. Getting old T9s under the old system was significantly less of a grind than what it takes to get crafted relics now. At least make it so you get a full refund of shards when you decon a crafted LI to move up to the next tier.

2) The randomness of passives on things like guard belts is frustrating. Preferably make them all the same. Less preferably, give us a way to improve these (which would inevitably mean more grind/store exploitation). But either way, someone's ability to play shouldn't come down to whether they got lucky on an RNG. It's bad enough this is the general direction of the game. But FAs are hard enough to get without adding randomness to what you end up crafting with them.

Miasto Stołeczne Warszawa (The Capital City of Warsaw)
    Quote Originally Posted by NukeTheLag View Post
    My two cents: The overall LI grind is one of the least grindy aspects of an overly grindy game so in general I don't mind it. I'm not crazy about it, but it's far down on my list of complaints about LOTRO. That said, there are 2 aspects I wish they would change:

1) The shard grind has gotten completely out of control. This is especially true given that when they revamped LI's a couple of years ago, it was supposed to make LI's less grindy. Getting old T9s under the old system was significantly less of a grind than what it takes to get crafted relics now. At least make it so you get a full refund of shards when you decon a crafted LI to move up to the next tier.
    Lol.

I returned to game 3 weeks ago, and I already have 140k shards (spent 45k tonight hoping I can sell emps and delvings, but unfortunately, they became BtA, melded 6 relics with ~10k shard cost and few smaller ones).
    Getting shards is extremally easy, unless you're solo player never doing any instances.

Anyway, I like having to recreate items.
    Aquiring weapon in Moria, and never ever ever looking for a new one would not be a good mechanic IMO (that said I still carry lvl65 1age bag on my RK because I wanted to have all legacies maxed instead of better relics and few more stat points from 2age lvl85 )

What I don't like are: random stats, random majors/minors, random appereance, and randomness in Legacies (had to deconstruct 15 satchels tonight before having 4 legacies I need for a new one, but at least it earned me few K shards ;p).

I would like it to have improved by spending shards, for example, 1 minor legacy chosen by player- 6k shards, 1 major- 10k, or improvement to stats for some shards.
    fire rk is just hunt clone without evade, ports and lower mits, or LM clone without CC, pets and 1 less gear slot.
    thx for destroying yellow line and the entire class with it

As for my dislike:
    This is my biggest peeve. It would be so much better if the weapon could really grow with us, giving us the option to tweak it at each new level cap, rather than trashing it and starting over.

The idea of legendary items is pretty cool as far as I'm concerned, other than having to redo the whole thing over and over again. It's even more of a pain when you have a ton of level capped alts.

I like the LI system

There's a few things that could be improved, like the ability to have cosmetic weapons, but overall it's a good system that let's you continue to make improvements at lvlcap
    [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8C8nLy2okg[/url] Saruman 6-man
    [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mj4h-CF9log[/url] Warden Survival
    [url]http://tftgb.wordpress.com/[/url]

Not happy at all
    There's way too much randomness and grinding involved.

1. Aquiring a symbol to craft the weapon - random or a endless grind.
    2. identifying the head stats - random
    3. reforing at level 10 - random, low chance to get a main attribute
    4. reforing at level 20 - random, low chance to get a main attribute
    5. reforing at level 30 - random, low chance to get a main attribute

"Additional targets" legacies eat too many points, but that's not the big deal.
    The dps are maxed automatically for casters, those who need dps have to invest points - that's rather unfair.

Angry I hate!

As for my dislike:
    This is the reason I am thinking about quit this game...

I am only sorry for the years spent in vain...

THIS IS SOU STUPID, I feel like in a deja vu... doing all the same over and over again!

I am gonna wait the new expansion comes, and this is the first time I am not pre-buying a lotro expansion... If this dont change, I am quiting!
    [b][size=3][FONT=Garamond][color=#8B0000][center]HELGRIMM OF ELENDILMIR[/color][/FONT][/size][/b][color=#696969][i]Still I'm pushing onward, alone I can't deny
    My presence fills the desert, my spirit never dies![/i][/color][/center]
    [center][img]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/9080823/ville.gif[/img][/center]

Nope.

Quote Originally Posted by Fredelas View Post
    Here are some things I dislike:
    • I dislike the various tiers of legacies. They don't make the system any more interesting, just grindy.
    • I dislike the sale of enhancements and especially relics in the LOTRO Store. To me, this is basically selling end-game gear. (You're selling an item with stats on it.)
    • I'm heartbroken every time there's a level cap increase and I'm pressured to replace my LIs. I can't think of a simple way around this though that would still keep players interested.
    • I dislike being stuck with the appearance of my LIs. I wish I could extract an "appearance legacy" from another LI of the same class and type and apply it to a new one.
    • I dislike the ever increasing cost of melding relics.
    Overall, I think there's more to like than dislike, so put me down in the "like" column, please.
    I'll borrow that list.

>Overall the system makes it so that it is grindy
    >Has to be repeated every update, making your previous progression a total waste, illustrated when you disassemble eventually your LI.
    >The system does not feel legendary anymore due to the abundance of LI items.
    >Customization is not really there when you have 'mandatory legacies and relics' which you cannot afford not to equip.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/2821700000017ce96/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    Lvl 85 Hunter - Lvl 85 Champion - L 65 Captain

No....confusing, grindy & just a time and money-sink imo
    [FONT=courier new][B][I]Duraniel - LM | Duranium - RK | Durania - HNT | Yodomir - BG | Yodowyn - CPT | Durawyn - WD[/I][/B][/FONT]

Its OK. But need improvements

I despise the IA system. While I like the overall concept of an item to grow with me and work on over time, the;current implementation really does act as a disincentive for me to play the game at all. This is predominantly due to the recycling of items that you have to put a lot of work into only to have it become obsolete within at most a year at level cap. But even this cycle, while tedious and unrewarding, isn't the worst of it. The worst comes when you're levelling a new character to cap, and this is a situation that is seemingly only going to get worse as the level cap continues to rise.

This is because it seems to me that as your weapon is going to be destroyed every 5-10 levels there is little point even attempting to work on an item until you reach level cap. What this means is that for the first 50 levels of the system (45-95 come Helms Deep) the majority of the system becomes pointless.

Why level scrap items to grind legacies when you'll need to do the same again in 5-10 levels and any legacies that you do replace will be at a low tier without sufficient points to make them effective? Better to not replace legacies. Why use prohibitively expensive Scrolls of Empowerment or Delving when you'll need more in a few days of levelling? Better to not upgrade legacy tiers. Why use Star-lit crystals or titles when again, these will become obsolete in a few levels? Better to ignore Crystals and Titles too. Why upgrade to a second or first age item when in just a few short levels an easier to acquire third age will be better? Better to ignore first and second ages. Why work on combining relics and shards when any relic you slot will be obsolete in 5-10 levels and cannot be returned without spending TP? Better to run without relics or only low tier ones.

And so for the first 50 or so levels of having access to these "legendary" items you are never able to unlock their potential. Instead, you're forced to effectively ignore the majority of the system until cap when you get to enjoy your efforts for at most a year before the cycle begins again. And if you have alts you are expected to repeat what is a horrible enough grind on a main multiple times? I don't know about anyone else but it acts as a huge disincentive for me to level other characters or even to both logging on at all.

And while many capped players have had time to get used to the system it must be horribly confusing to new players. It's overly complex for what is actually happening, as is the shard system which is also ironically (given the apparent design intention of the system) a massive grind for solo players.

If I were to improve the system I would make it use the skirmish soldier or mounted trait UI and allow you to unlock new "traits" as you level which you would put points into, effectively removing the require character level from the item. However, given their current efforts and obsession with the store I doubt this will ever happen, so my only other suggestion would be to make crafted or loot versions that can't be improved but would mean that people can avoid the system altogether without excessively gimping their character.

Second star to the right and straight until morning... til you reach Neverland...

*snork!*
    Sorry, can't keep straight face on that one...
    No. For multiple reasons.

Graphically: I totally despise that we cannot keep a single weapon where we Actually LOVE the appearance of it, because we got to choose it, (or actually make our own graphics. This game will never give us such tools like Spore, Maya or Adobe Photoshop to accomplish this. So I would settle for a single choice, of all in-game staff models.) Who the heck put a bloody cow head on my staff? *cough, rant, wheeze*

Low rank legacies: Look, I get the need to put some work into a weapon to get all the right legacies ranked up to T6, but the constant flow of these stupid T1, T2 legs on a Reforge rolls need to go away.

Replacing legacies: I liked the ability, but when the R6 legacy I pulled off another LI turns into a rotten T2 lowbie leg, it just reeks.

Another side case that my burglar recently discovered. There are no level 50 LI drops!
    Except for the 2 she gets from the Moria quest. I am XP disabling my burg for SoA content. So she's stuck with those. At least her tools got the +3 stealth, but her dagger came out meh/rotten (and has a legacy for a skill (feign attack) she won't get til later).

Quote Originally Posted by GB-Esty View Post
    I despise the IA system. While I like the overall concept of an item to grow with me and work on over time, the;current implementation really does act as a disincentive for me to play the game at all. This is predominantly due to the recycling of items that you have to put a lot of work into only to have it become obsolete within at most a year at level cap.
    *trimmed*

Why level scrap items to grind legacies when you'll need to do the same again in 5-10 levels and any legacies that you do replace will be at a low tier without sufficient points to make them effective? Better to not replace legacies. Why use prohibitively expensive Scrolls of Empowerment or Delving when you'll need more in a few days of levelling? Better to not upgrade legacy tiers. Why use Star-lit crystals or titles when again, these will become obsolete in a few levels? Better to ignore Crystals and Titles too. Why upgrade to a second or first age item when in just a few short levels an easier to acquire third age will be better? Better to ignore first and second ages. Why work on combining relics and shards when any relic you slot will be obsolete in 5-10 levels and cannot be returned without spending TP? Better to run without relics or only low tier ones.

*trimmed again, even though the whole post had me nodding... yes yes...*
    If I were to improve the system I would make it use the skirmish soldier or mounted trait UI and allow you to unlock new "traits" as you level which you would put points into, effectively removing the require character level from the item. However, given their current efforts and obsession with the store I doubt this will ever happen, so my only other suggestion would be to make crafted or loot versions that can't be improved but would mean that people can avoid the system altogether without excessively gimping their character.
    *drool* Yes, I've heard this suggestion many times and I am really intrigued to know what our LI's would be like if they were traited like a maxxed out soldier. Makes me want to break out the Photoshop and work it out myself. <.<
    !<3?!Wargs Rule!!?<3! But only because we have no playable feline races.
    ???s6u!?? 3?!?o?@? ?w ?o m3? @ 3?@ 3s3??
    *s6u!s* ¡?w ?o ?s3!6?@M pu@ 's3ss3??s!w-3?ol 's3s?l3?

Founder & Altoholic: playing wargies and loremistresses since 2006 SoA beta.*Jingle Jangle!*
    A "lifetime" of play on: Elendilmir (RIP), Crick, Landy, & more.

Quote Originally Posted by GB-Esty View Post
    I despise the IA system. While I like the overall concept of an item to grow with me and work on over time, the;current implementation really does act as a disincentive for me to play the game at all. This is predominantly due to the recycling of items that you have to put a lot of work into only to have it become obsolete within at most a year at level cap. But even this cycle, while tedious and unrewarding, isn't the worst of it. The worst comes when you're levelling a new character to cap, and this is a situation that is seemingly only going to get worse as the level cap continues to rise.

This is because it seems to me that as your weapon is going to be destroyed every 5-10 levels there is little point even attempting to work on an item until you reach level cap. What this means is that for the first 50 levels of the system (45-95 come Helms Deep) the majority of the system becomes pointless.

And so for the first 50 or so levels of having access to these "legendary" items you are never able to unlock their potential. Instead, you're forced to effectively ignore the majority of the system until cap when you get to enjoy your efforts for at most a year before the cycle begins again. And if you have alts you are expected to repeat what is a horrible enough grind on a main multiple times? I don't know about anyone else but it acts as a huge disincentive for me to level other characters or even to both logging on at all.

And while many capped players have had time to get used to the system it must be horribly confusing to new players. It's overly complex for what is actually happening, as is the shard system which is also ironically (given the apparent design intention of the system) a massive grind for solo players.

I agree with this post 100%. +Reputation for a well written and well thought out point of view.

I would really like to see Turbine add some quality to the game instead of maintaining a ridiculous, quick-money and, most of all, game destroying content like the current "Legendary" system. There is so much potential here and I feel that instead of doing great work which results in a great game, Turbine would rather make sub-par and cheap choices to make a dollar, effectively crushing the wonder and enjoyment of Middle-earth.

Despite the unlikelihood of a grand turnaround, I sincerely hope this changes soon.
    Last edited by Glorfinrith; Jun 10 2013 at 04:01 AM. Reason: OCD forced me to.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0e21500000008bdca/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

"Always be tactful and well-mannered." - Erwin Rommel

Quote Originally Posted by Graycient View Post
    I wish to find out how many people are happy with it compared to how many people aren't happy with it.

Are you happy with it? Please explain why.
    Not happy with it? Explain what you think is missing or should be changed, etc.

That is all. Thankyou.

-----

Results: Like(0), Dislike(0)
    ^ Will update this accordingly.

-----

P.S. Mods please leave it in General Chat. Not enough players go into the LI forums.
    No. The original expectations, that "grow with you" mark, were never met, and now LIs are tied to the store such that we will never see positive, player-friendly change. It's grindy and RNG-riffic (yes yes, grind is relative and all that). However, this iteration is certainly better than the original Moria implementation. But considering how much effort you can put into your LI, it's effectively a second character or pet. These things shouldn't be disposable.

Also, not enough players visit the forums, period. Remember the giant LI feedback thread prior to the first (and only) major revamp? The only reason why the official discussion thread got so much traffic was because Turbine linked it from the game launcher. That's the only way to get anywhere near an accurate assessment of player opinions about LI mechanics.
    [url="https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?506048-Talent-trees-class-roles-and-player-choice"]Talent trees, class roles, and player choice[/url]
    Crafting crit chance analysis: [URL="https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?410893-Sample-size-THREE-THOUSAND"]3000 sample size[/URL], [URL="https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?420198-Sample-size-ONE-THOUSAND"]1000 sample size[/URL]

I'm basically with Fredelas on this one.
    If you'd ask me what i want though it would be a weapon that stays and levels with me forever without ever having a need to replace it.

I like some aspects of it but I feel like the game content as of late has been easy enough, and expansion packs (with 10 levels each even) have been soon enough since the last that first ages are really an unnecessary aspect of the game for anything outside of PVP. Tier 2 raids are easily accomplished by even first timers with half a hytbold set and a second age, so first ages in my opinion are for bragging rights and duels in the Ettenmoors.

If the expansion packs were 1-2 years apart, only 5 levels, the content more difficult, or Ettenmoors access possible for premium players I would definitely play more often and try to be among the first people to get a first age weapon. Until some of that changes though I'll just take my nearly free second age weapon and breeze through the content. I definitely don't want it to get any easier.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast