We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

medium armour cappy

need some thoughts on this. i'm thinking of running a cappy (solo only no end game) in medium armour with more agi
    and mainly resistance and mit. traits. anyone tried this or any constructive thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by marafice View Post
    need some thoughts on this. i'm thinking of running a cappy (solo only no end game) in medium armour with more agi
    and mainly resistance and mit. traits. anyone tried this or any constructive thoughts?
    I personally wouldn't want to give up the extra armor for more agility. That seems like a bad trade off to me. Being able to wear heavy armor is a nice advantage captains have., so I would take advantage of it if I were you. But that's just my opinion ^^
    Last edited by Jeremi; Apr 29 2013 at 10:51 PM.

There is absolutely no reason to do this other than making the game more difficult for you.
    [size=1][i]A spaceship from another star / They ask me where all the people are
    I tell them I'm the only one / There was a war, but I must have won[/i][/size]

There is no benefit that agility gives you that can't be made up with an alternate (in many cases better) stat. I agree with Nakiami, there's absolutely no reason to do this. Might as well throw on light armour.
    [CENTER][IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v341/tindragon/Base.png[/IMG]
    Steam: Sneakeh Snake[/CENTER]

Eh.... itemization has never really worked that well for us and medium armor (other than the very beginning of the game).

There was a time where light armor was considered OK to splice in with enough Helegrod gear, but that more than 20 levels ago.
    Maley Oakensage, Captain of Elendilmir

Alas Elendilmir, may you *jingle jangle* forever in the Forgotten West

ok, so far only negatives. the reason i'm looking at doing things a little different is i've run 4 cappies to cap by the numbers so was looking at doing something a bit different. as far as making things more difficult, this game is so easy now u can sleep while playing so if running medium armour makes it harder it may be worth a shot.
    what i was hoping for was some thoughts on armour, jewelry and stat choices. i'm thinking i can cover the lower armour with higher parry and avoid stats hence the agi. and mit. traits. i can still get plenty if might, vit and fate of medium armour.
    ahh what the hell i'll give it a shot and see how i go. thx anyway for input

ok, so far only negatives. the reason i'm looking at doing things a little different is i've run 4 cappies to cap by the numbers so was looking at doing something a bit different. as far as making things more difficult, this game is so easy now u can sleep while playing so if running medium armour makes it harder it may be worth a shot.
    what i was hoping for was some thoughts on armour, jewelry and stat choices. i'm thinking i can cover the lower armour with higher parry and avoid stats hence the agi. and mit. traits. i can still get plenty if might, vit and fate of medium armour.
    I'm not sure how easy it is to get raw avoidance stats on low level gear, but I'd prefer that over agility by miles. As for running 4-5 Captains to cap it's your own business but I'd rather choose a medium armor class if you're to go for less armor and higher avoidances anyway. You could pick a Hunter and go full melee.

Sure, go for it for the fun of it. Problem is, you won't get much might from medium armor. After the warden revamp to agility main stat, none of the medium classes seeks out much if any might at this point, so itemization will increasingly get away from that. You'll hit pretty weakly without as much might as you can scrape together, and leveling captains aren't exactly hard hitters to begin with.

There are other ways to handicap yourself that may be more fun though, or to seek out more challenging situations. Best ways to do that IMHO are:
    1) do quests 5 or more levels above your character level
    2) overpull (e.g. take on 5-6 mobs when you really don't need to)
    3) soloing 3 mans on level

But sure, give it a go, enjoy!

If the only purpose to do this is to artificially gimp yourself, why not try playing a class you haven't totally mastered with 4 other toons? No disrespect intended, but rolling a different class would be way more challenging than replaying the same class a fifth time with paper-thin armour. Just my opinion, of course.

Unfortunately, fact of the matter is that this game is !!!extremely!!! easy. I have to believe we are only months away from an auto-leveler in the store. The real challenge is to find a challenging game with similar mechanics and quality of story (that will run on an older computer) =)
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0b20c0000001d66e0/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

thx for replies all. some interesting points made. so i've dumped this idea altogether. decided to go play nevewinter till next xpac. all the best to everyone. see u all in a few months

Game has definitely become too easy, so I"m with you on that. But if you are looking for some challenge, what I do is solo group content. It's fun, and it's very interesting creating the most effective solo-build you can. Not only that, it's rewarding too. It can come in handy being able to solo farm seals when none of my friends are online or the GLFF is dead. It's also nice to be able to try for Golds when nothing else is happening.

So if you are bored with this game's solo play (which is easy to do. I'm sick of it also.) I would suggest trying that approach out instead of purposely gimping yourself with medium armor. It may renew your interests in the game, and will be a benefit to you in the process.

If you are looking to try other builds I would suggest changing to agi jewellery instead. I know the game is driving us to do some insane things but I would still not drop the heavy armour, and our main stat with it, just to try another build when I can just swap jewellery.