We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Skill overload, what does MONF need?

Right now I am 38 and overloaded on skills. If I am planning on strictly playing Master of Nature's Fury, what skills am I going to need? There is just no way I can see keeping up with all these skills or reasonably expect to use them all in game play. So I was wondering, for you high level MONF Lore-Masters, what are the skills you find you really use? Or are they all used no matter what, and I just need to suck it up?

Quote Originally Posted by Taelras View Post
    Right now I am 38 and overloaded on skills. If I am planning on strictly playing Master of Nature's Fury, what skills am I going to need? There is just no way I can see keeping up with all these skills or reasonably expect to use them all in game play. So I was wondering, for you high level MONF Lore-Masters, what are the skills you find you really use? Or are they all used no matter what, and I just need to suck it up?
    errrrrmmmm all of them..... The only skill i never use in grps is inner flame. But still i wouldn't remove it from there. Oh i got it. You can remove the rez skill, that one you will probably won't need :P

But really it would be a good practise while leveling to stay away from red line, first so you get to learn ur other factions and 2nd coz u r stronger in blue line or a mix than full red in lower levels.

Master of nature fury is all you need when soloing dps. The other trait lines only matter when running instances or in fellowship. Anyways the Valars have listened you & your quickslots bar will be purged of redundant skills very soon, with the changes to classes on Helms Deep release.
    https://www.lotro.com/en/game/articl...E2%80%99s-deep
    https://www.lotro.com/en/game/articl...ees-helms-deep
    Is this Alternate Character Disorder? :

Check my Kinship at Gladden server: The Fate of Middle Earth

Well A: in order to play your class "the right way" you will use most of, if not all of your skills. But keep in mind next month the classes are getting revamped and you'll have considerably less skills...so wish granted to you.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0920d0000002c9618/signature.png]Farimur[/charsig]

Great replies, much appreciated. I read those Developer Diary notes and all I can say is giggity! Looking forward to those changes!

Great replies, much appreciated. I read those Developer Diary notes and all I can say is giggity! Looking forward to those changes!
    You may be the only one.

Quote Originally Posted by Darlgon View Post
    You may be the only one.
    Don't judge the book for its cover.

Quote Originally Posted by YamydeAragon View Post
    Don't judge the book for its cover.
    Trait trees- been there done that in other games... despise 'em.

I am quite happy with my LM as she is, using all she skills she has...LM are supposed to be challenging.
    I guess it is good that the OP is going to get their skills trimmed now-
    before they ever get to truly experience what the LM could have been like-
    They aren't going to know what they are missing.

I agree with Darlgon.
    [B][COLOR=#6495ed]"You cannot pass," he said. "I am a[/COLOR] [COLOR=#00bfff]Servant of the Secret Fire[/COLOR][COLOR=#6495ed], wielder of the flame of Anor. The dark fire will not avail you, flame of Udûn. You cannot pass."[U][I]The Fellowship of the Ring II 5: "The Bridge of Khazad-dûm"[/I][/U][/COLOR][/B] [COLOR=#0000ff][/COLOR][COLOR=#5f1fff][B]Athene~Vilya~85 LM[/B][/COLOR] [URL="http://www.sotsfire.com/"][B][COLOR=#7b68ee]SOTSFire.com [/COLOR][/B][/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by Crimsonrayne View Post
    ...been there done that in other games...
    So you haven't tried how will be the trait trees on this game. Don't answer! If you say yes is a NDA violation. If you say no you make my assertion truth.

So you haven't tried how will be the trait trees on this game. Don't answer! If you say yes is a NDA violation. If you say no you make my assertion truth.
    They don't have to answer as any fool can tell what happens when you use up to 40 skills over a variety of circumstances and someone deletes half of them and tells you to make do with their choice of what you must use! There ARE going to be a lot of very upset players who find that their much beloved skills that they like using are gone and they HAVE to use stuff they never wanted. And finding that class traits they worked hard for are now gated in a skill tree behind stuff they don't want to waste skill points on but are forced to do to get back the traits they have been using for years. The only real question is how many players Turbine might end up losing over this.

I am concerned about the extent of skill pruning/consolidation. It is important to remember that trait trees can be switched ooc. So that may offer more flexibility. That may entail switching from healer crowd control and debuffing to dps as the situation demands. I think the real issue is how much utility we will have across all three trait trees, granted not with the same trait setup at once.

Quote Originally Posted by podgie_bear View Post
    They don't have to answer as any fool can tell what happens when you use up to 40 skills over a variety of circumstances and someone deletes half of them and tells you to make do with their choice of what you must use! ...
    I can answer you in a none fool manner. It only takes around 5 skills or hits to kill a on level monster. If you need to hit a regular, non elite monster 40 times, your dps need a urgent check & the trait trees system is meant to do that.

I can answer you in a none fool manner. It only takes around 5 skills or hits to kill a on level monster. If you need to hit a regular, non elite monster 40 times, your dps need a urgent check & the trait trees system is meant to do that.
    Pet skills, CC skills, Healing skills, DPS skills, etc. Lore Masters are not a bog standard 'hit the monster' class. They are versatile and need skills for all sorts of occassions. Any Lore Master who thinks they only need 5 skills to be able to hit a monster obviously doesn't know how to play their class, or even what the class is for! But then you were obviously did not read my post before replying since I never mentioned 'hits' in it, I said 'skills'.

Pet skills, CC skills, Healing skills, DPS skills, etc. Lore Masters are not a bog standard 'hit the monster' class. They are versatile and need skills for all sorts of occassions. Any Lore Master who thinks they only need 5 skills to be able to hit a monster obviously doesn't know how to play their class, or even what the class is for! But then you were obviously did not read my post before replying since I never mentioned 'hits' in it, I said 'skills'.
    So you think that i don't know how to play a Lore Master because after used 5 skills the monster i fight is dead, but you know better because after 35 skill your monster is still alive. Yah you are truth i don't know anything .

You guys are talking around each-other; there's no debate happening here.

For DPS and soloing, LMs currently can get away with using 3-5 skills per fight, not including sending your pet in. For soloing, you can actually get away with just using Burning Embers, Staff Strike, and one other fire skill (Cracked Earth at lower levels, Sticky Gourd at higher levels and ISG if you're traiting red) and truck along nicely.

For support, which many LM players consider the orthodox playstyle, you will use ~30 of your 40 skills, with the other 10 being DPS skills that you might use if you have time but might not for power management reasons. While playing support, you may (depending on the situation) need to mez two mobs, root 3+ mobs, debuff the boss, debuff the adds, maintain stun immunity on yourself and the healer and tank, cure wounds and diseases, ensure that the healer and tank have power, ensure that you have power, perodically stun the boss or adds, snare monsters, and spot-heal the healer or DPS. Each of those tasks represents at least 1 skill on your bar, as there are not (at the moment, we'll see what changes with HD) any skills that pull double-duty when it comes to support tasks. There are also 2+ skills in several categories including mezzing (Blind and Bane), stunning (LotRD, Storm, and ToW), rooting (CE and Herb), healing (BoH and Water) and let us not forget that we have 5+ debuffs (SoP:C, SoP:SAE, Fire, Frost, & Wind).

LM DPS rotations may not be heavily impacted, but LM support is practically bound to be subject to sweeping changes. Hopefully, this will mean more versatile skills covering multiple tasks and forcing us to make snap decisions about which support functions are most crucial in the moment, but it could just as easily mean that we have 1 debuff button, 1 cure button, 1 power heal button, and 1 CC button and LM gameplay becomes paint-by-numbers drudgery.

-----

EDIT: For the OP, I tend to cast SoP:C on the first mob of every pull; it can't hurt. You'll also want to keep Blinding Flash handy for pulling groups of 2 or more. Mez one mob and burn the other down. Also keep Bane Flare handy for emergencies and Fire Lore for tough/multi-mob fights. Otherwise, open with Burning Embers, follow with Cracked Earth or Light of the Rising Dawn, then Burning Embers again, and then just bash them with your staff using Staff Strike and Staff Sweep as desired for DPS boosts. You can also throw more Burning Embers if you want. Keep Wizard's Fire handy and fire it off every time your pet flanks. There are other options when flanking, but the Wizard's Fire heal is the most consistently appreciable. Don't ever hesitate to use Wisdom of the Council if you suddenly need some morale back.

For your pet, use a Lynx, right click all of its abilities to put them on auto-fire, and either set it to defensive and forget about it or set it to passive and hotkey the attack command.

This is the simplest setup for a LM that I can conceive. Get used to it and begin (when you're ready) mixing in additional abilities to get a feel for everything. Most of our skills are fairly situational, so it's a matter of learning to associate seeing a ranged mob with looking for your Wind Lore button and so forth.
    Last edited by Bregwine; Oct 30 2013 at 03:25 PM.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a000000194797/01008/signature.png]Bartle[/charsig]

So you think that i don't know how to play a Lore Master because after used 5 skills the monster i fight is dead, but you know better because after 35 skill your monster is still alive. Yah you are truth i don't know anything .
    Actually.. No, but Yes, kinda, for 2/3s of what a good LM can do. If all you are concerned about is how many hits to kill a monster, it means you have the "Arson-master" concept of a loremaster, that it is only for DPS. As the poster in between us explained quite well, if you ever played an Ancient Master support LM, NONE of the current skills are expendable, EXCEPT the 5 skills it takes to kill a mob. Sadly, the bulk of content over the past two years has not encouraged itself to traiting yellow. And, if a level 10 can do the level 95 Helm's Deep stuff, without knowing how to play their class, I hold little hope that anything has changed with the new content. The Arsonmaster is great for landscape and DPS race raids only, not the finesse that the class used to have.

Wow.. lost sight of the OP in all this other stuff.

Personally, if I were in the process of leveling.. ANY CLASS right now.. I would walk away and come back after Helm's Deep came out. From what all it looks like, NO ONE will know how to play their class for a while after it comes out. Since you are 38, no idea where you decided to direct your talk to the "arson-master"s MONF traited guys, but, yeah.. after the skill consolidation in 19 days, who knows what skills will even be available to a level 38.. Your question will be invalidated then.

Actually.. No, but Yes, kinda, for 2/3s of what a good LM can do. If all you are concerned about is how many hits to kill a monster, it means you have the "Arson-master" concept of a loremaster, that it is only for DPS ... not the finesse that the class used to have.
    I never said that, that is your interpretation. All i said is all you need to solo, is dps, & all other skills are for instances. My Lore Master is a raiding Lore Master. The job is debuff & power battery & i do my job well done. Also there are no D3 arson wizards on this game. Lore Master don't used to have finese. Thats a brand new stat on LOTRO & you don't have to stack it to have plenty with any on level gear.

Wow.. lost sight of the OP in all this other stuff...
    He haven't lost sight of the OP. He is the OP.
    Last edited by YamydeAragon; Oct 30 2013 at 05:25 PM.

I never said that, that is your interpretation. All i said is all you need to solo, is dps, & all other skills are for instances. My Lore Master is a raiding Lore Master. The job is debuff & power battery & i do my job well done. Also there are no D3 arson wizards on this game. Lore Master don't used to have finese. Thats a brand new stat on LOTRO & you don't have to stack it to have plenty with any on level gear.

FINESSE
    noun 1. extreme delicacy or subtlety in action, performance, skill, discrimination, taste, etc. 2. skill in handling a difficult or highly sensitive situation;
    Nothing to do with Turbine hijacking the word to name a game mechanic.

Arson Wizard ,
    Not a class as used in another game, but a style of play that basically spams Burning Embers. Brute forcing dps rather than using subtlety or finess (see definition)

All other skills other than dps are not just for instances, using dps only skills for soloing PvE is particularly boring for players who want a deeper gameplay experience. Some of us want to enjoy an RPG experience with our characters, not dumb the game down by limiting them to a Hack'n'Slash style gameplay using the minimum skills possible. If we wanted that, we would go play WoW or something similar for players unable to cope with more than half a dozen skills!
    Last edited by podgie_bear; Oct 30 2013 at 06:42 PM.

Frankly, I dont know how to tell you that finesse was a word centuries before Lotro put it into the game, without being blunt. And O(riginal) P(ost) for your clarification.

Sigh..apparently you intended to write solo somewhere in your posts?

On second thought, never mind. I am even more saddened that the forum title "Poster of Note" appears to be handed out indescrimately, what with the baiting to violate the NDA up above.

... not dumb the game down by limiting them to a Hack'n'Slash style gameplay using the minimum skills possible ...
    You all made me laught today , you have never play with me & you think you know how i play my Lore Master ... Hack'n'Slash style .

You all made me laught today , you have never play with me & you think you know how i play my Lore Master ... Hack'n'Slash style .
    I'm sorry to have to point this out to you, but this isn't about you. I never heard of you before now and aren't really interested in you to be honest. This is about Turbine's upcoming changes to the skill and trait system. You are the one who seems obsessed with yourself and your gameplay. We are talking about how it is going to affect everyone else. Please don't try to hold yourself up as an example of how to play the Lore Master class, as by your comments you are definitely not typical of most Lore Master players who are happy with most of their skills and don't wish to have the class dumbed down to make it easier for people who are too lazy to learn how to play it properly.

If you are happy with fewer skills and abilities then take the ones you don't want off your task bar, but why should everyone else lose their skills that they are happy to have and use because Turbine wish to cater to the type of player who it feels are unable to manage a game more complicated than Hello Kitty?
    Last edited by podgie_bear; Oct 31 2013 at 05:45 AM.

Talking

...This is about Turbine's upcoming changes to the skill and trait system. You are the one who seems obsessed with yourself and your gameplay. ...
    ROFL now you also think you know how i think. Well i have bad news, you missed again. & This thread is not about how you feel. Is about the OP want to know what what is best for SOLO DPS.

ROFL now you also think you know how i think. Well i have bad news, you missed again. & This thread is not about how you feel. Is about the OP want to know what what is best for SOLO DPS.
    And we gave opinions which differed from yours, but perfectly valid opinions about different skills for different circumstances. You were the one who decided you knew better
    and that "5 skills or hits to kill a on level monster. If you need to hit a regular, non elite monster 40 times, your dps need a urgent check & the trait trees system is meant to do that." When I pointed out I was talking about skills not hits, you decided to go off on some sort of crusade.

Well since you are more interested in having the last word than anything else. I will leave it to you.......

I have never EVER seen a LM to ONLY do DPS in a grp, even if they go MoNF. And even IF, he would need much more than those 5 skills someone mentioned. Unless u meant takin on landscape mobs one by one. Well u can do that with just ur auto attacks. So be my guest and remove all skills from your quickslots coz u can kill mobs without any.

Also the devs said that class deeds completed will contribute to the trait tree system too, so it would be really unwise to just use DPS skills.

If OP meant i plan on leveling with just MoNF traits, then ok do that. But do ur class deeds that will require a use of tons of other skills. If on the other hand was a I plan on just doin dmg then u rolled the wrong class.

So even if it is repeating myself.... A LM needs all of his in cmbt skills slotted in the quickslots. Even if u just want to DPS, u need to keep SI up to keep the flow, u need to debuff mobs to get more dmg, u need to remove corruptions that buff the mobs and u need to remove your wounds that give you induction or skill duration debuffs, you also need to interrupt healing mobs with BF that are immune to combat states. And so many more things that are connected to DPS.