We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Thorin's Gate Needs Help

The area called Thorin's Gate in Ered Luin used to be beautiful. Now it is hideous. The reason it is ugly is the trees, snow, and other nice aspects being taken out to add mining platforms. Why not after the intro, make the structures go away (Except for the one leading up to the Mirkstone Tunnels and the Arming Cave) like many people expected. This would feel like a way of removing Dourhand Influence on Thorin's Hall and pretty the place up so it looked very similar to how it did during Shadows Of Angmar.

/signed...
    And rebuild Archet

Quote Originally Posted by Rainshade View Post
    /signed...
    And rebuild Archet
    Agreed with both of these Archet should have repairs going on and stuff like that so when my guy comes from Angmar it is not as destroyed as it was.

The Prancing Pony, usually I'm drunk in a corner
    /signed...
    And rebuild Archet
    At one point I made a massive, fleshed out thread on this. To no avail, however.
    Glorgnorbor, A Rock And A Hard Place, Stop by our Friday music shows! 4PM EST at the Bree West Gate on Dwarrowdelf!
    If a Malledhrim Soldier dies alone in the forest because of canceled quest, will it make a sound? ~Leixy
    Took me a few years, but I renewed my signature :)

Quote Originally Posted by robbie1435 View Post
    At one point I made a massive, fleshed out thread on this. To no avail, however.
    Could you link it? I may want to read that.

The Prancing Pony, usually I'm drunk in a corner
    Could you link it? I may want to read that.
    Sure: https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...uilding-Archet
    Glorgnorbor, A Rock And A Hard Place, Stop by our Friday music shows! 4PM EST at the Bree West Gate on Dwarrowdelf!
    If a Malledhrim Soldier dies alone in the forest because of canceled quest, will it make a sound? ~Leixy
    Took me a few years, but I renewed my signature :)

Signed.

With 3 of my 100s being dorfs, I'd love them to live somewhere nice. Given that Bree has had an excellent revamp, surely it's time for both Thorin's Gate and Moonbase Alpha Space Station^W^W^W^W Celondim to do so?

Just a few better textures and some flowers or something...

I have to agree with this. Thorins Hall is just so ugly right outside the front doors nowadays. Dwarves are smelly enough as it is without driving tourists away with that huge mess on the mountainside.

Completely agree. It's a shame that the starting areas for elves and dwarves (Thorin's Gate and Celondim) are so lacklustre compared to places in the Shire or in Bree...
    Also I would definitely love for Archet to be somewhat reconstructed after I've been in Angmar. So I've had the time to run around between the Blue Mountains and the Misty Mountains hindering the advances of Angmar and finally overthrowing some evil overlord... but you haven't had the time to fix that roof? Ok...

Quote Originally Posted by heri_sinye View Post
    but you haven't had the time to fix that roof? Ok...
    Reminded me of the never-ending repairs at the Floating Log

I agree on sprucing up the Thorin's Gate area. Back to what it looked like before the intro was changed.

And I sort of laugh and sort of shake my head every time I go into Defense of the Prancing Pony and see again that it never got the updates that regular game Bree did.
    Linden Starfall, Leader of Mithril Crowns of Elendilmir and Arkenstone

Quote Originally Posted by Urwendil View Post
    Reminded me of the never-ending repairs at the Floating Log
    My favorite is Adso who must hire the most incompetent workmen. They haven't even gotten past the trusses! When I was still roleplaying, my character told stories of having worked for him, but how he refused to listen to advice that would have prevented the interminable state of the work.

At least that woodcutter in Bree finally finished cutting that wood.

Quote Originally Posted by HunterGreen View Post

And he's wore out too!
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
    Continuing the never ending battle to keep Lobelia Sackville-Baggins in check

Smile

My favorite is Adso who must hire the most incompetent workmen. They haven't even gotten past the trusses! When I was still roleplaying, my character told stories of having worked for him, but how he refused to listen to advice that would have prevented the interminable state of the work.
    Indeed, and Thornley too! We saved you from the Orcs how many hundreds of times now, get back to work already!

Quote Originally Posted by Dovahkiin894 View Post
    The area called Thorin's Gate in Ered Luin used to be beautiful. Now it is hideous. The reason it is ugly is the trees, snow, and other nice aspects being taken out to add mining platforms. Why not after the intro, make the structures go away (Except for the one leading up to the Mirkstone Tunnels and the Arming Cave) like many people expected. This would feel like a way of removing Dourhand Influence on Thorin's Hall and pretty the place up so it looked very similar to how it did during Shadows Of Angmar.
    As nice as it would be to see all of the destroyed/defiled/under construction areas returned to their former/future glory, I don't really see a way that they could do it, given the continuity that they're trying to establish. The game has been going on for over 8 years, playing out a story that only took a year to complete. Turbine's way of getting around this is by having each location not only fixed geographically in space, but also in time. No matter how many day/night cycles happen in the game, or in real life, it will always be late September in the Shire, and late December in Rivendell, and early February in Lothlorien, etc. Time passes as one moves south and east, but if you return to a previous area, you also rewind the clock. Any passage of time that happens within a region tends to fall inside of an instance, session play, or epic battle (i.e. the departure of the Fellowship from Rivendell, the Battle of Helm's Deep, Trouble in Tuckborough, etc.), but as soon as the instance ends, time is right back where it was before. The only exception I can think of is Isengard, where they actually gave us THREE versions of the map, so we can see it pristine during session play, defiled during Saruman's treachery, and drowned after the ent attack. But still, the passage of time rule is in place, and if you enter Isengard from the west, if will always be defiled, and entering it from the east it will always be drowned.

The implication from both the dwarf/elf introduction and the man/hobbit introduction is that the game begins immediately after the intro ends, so there hasn't been enough passage of time for Thorin's Gate or Archet to have been reconstructed. One can hope that while we're in Minas Tirith, everything is back to normal in Ered Luin and Bree-land...but as soon as we go to check on them, the flux capacitor kicks in, and we're back in good 'ol 3018.

Quote Originally Posted by Davco View Post
    As nice as it would be to see all of the destroyed/defiled/under construction areas returned to their former/future glory, I don't really see a way that they could do it, given the continuity that they're trying to establish. The game has been going on for over 8 years, playing out a story that only took a year to complete. Turbine's way of getting around this is by having each location not only fixed geographically in space, but also in time. No matter how many day/night cycles happen in the game, or in real life, it will always be late September in the Shire, and late December in Rivendell, and early February in Lothlorien, etc. Time passes as one moves south and east, but if you return to a previous area, you also rewind the clock. Any passage of time that happens within a region tends to fall inside of an instance, session play, or epic battle (i.e. the departure of the Fellowship from Rivendell, the Battle of Helm's Deep, Trouble in Tuckborough, etc.), but as soon as the instance ends, time is right back where it was before. The only exception I can think of is Isengard, where they actually gave us THREE versions of the map, so we can see it pristine during session play, defiled during Saruman's treachery, and drowned after the ent attack. But still, the passage of time rule is in place, and if you enter Isengard from the west, if will always be defiled, and entering it from the east it will always be drowned.

The implication from both the dwarf/elf introduction and the man/hobbit introduction is that the game begins immediately after the intro ends, so there hasn't been enough passage of time for Thorin's Gate or Archet to have been reconstructed. One can hope that while we're in Minas Tirith, everything is back to normal in Ered Luin and Bree-land...but as soon as we go to check on them, the flux capacitor kicks in, and we're back in good 'ol 3018.
    True, all the zones are time-locked, but I think it would be cool if at least some of the zones would start using fazing to fix up some of the places once a character finishes all the quests for that little area (eg. do all Adso quests, his place gets built). That way, if you ever come back, time has moved on a bit.
    I also think it would be cool if, once the meta deed for an area is completed, that zone starts changing seasonally, so it could be winter in Bree-land, for example. But you'd still be able to do all the quests by moving to the original layer of Bree-land somehow.
    That might be a lot of work, though.

True, all the zones are time-locked, but I think it would be cool if at least some of the zones would start using fazing to fix up some of the places once a character finishes all the quests for that little area (eg. do all Adso quests, his place gets built). That way, if you ever come back, time has moved on a bit.
    I also think it would be cool if, once the meta deed for an area is completed, that zone starts changing seasonally, so it could be winter in Bree-land, for example. But you'd still be able to do all the quests by moving to the original layer of Bree-land somehow.
    That might be a lot of work, though.
    I could get behind that. It would be similiar to Hytbold, where we aid the reconstruction of an entire town in the span of a couple of game-days (Real-life days? That's another story...and I'm sorry for poking at that old wound!) But you're right, it would probably take some significant work...

If there was ever going to be a region I'd like to see in a second state, it's all the areas under the Dawnless Day, especially Imloth Melui. I want to see the sun over those places. I suppose even if we ever get to the fall of Sauron, though, it'd be way too much work to make a second copy of most of Gondor just so we could see them well-lit.

/signed

And re-use the Hytbold system ( https://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Hytbold ) for Archet.

If there was ever going to be a region I'd like to see in a second state, it's all the areas under the Dawnless Day, especially Imloth Melui. I want to see the sun over those places. I suppose even if we ever get to the fall of Sauron, though, it'd be way too much work to make a second copy of most of Gondor just so we could see them well-lit.
    Yeah, I've wanted a 'peaceful' layer of Gondor ever since Minas Tirith come out. Maybe we'll get one after Sauron goes down, with all its own quests.

Yeah, I've wanted a 'peaceful' layer of Gondor ever since Minas Tirith come out. Maybe we'll get one after Sauron goes down, with all its own quests.
    That seems way too much to hope for. I would be satisfied if Turbine just finds a way to make the Dawnless Day something that we can 'turn off' after the Fall, just so we can go back through those areas and see them in sunlight, even if nothing else changes. Yeah, that could mean you'd see people talking in quest dialogs about the gloom when it's sunny on your screen, but really, there are so many bigger paradoxes about the passage of time while we're porting around that this shouldn't even register. I'd hope the people who built Imloth Melui are as eager to have us see it in sunshine as we are to see it that way.

Remember guys, time doesn't pass in any given region.
    In Buckland it's always September 23rd, T.A. 3018, and the
    Black Riders went through last night and the Bucklanders are
    still trembling and fearing the end of the world. In Rivendell
    it's always December 24th, except in the instance when it's
    the morning of December 25th. And so on.
    Eruanne - Shards of Narsil-1 - Elendilmir -> Arkenstone

That seems way too much to hope for. I would be satisfied if Turbine just finds a way to make the Dawnless Day something that we can 'turn off' after the Fall, just so we can go back through those areas and see them in sunlight, even if nothing else changes. Yeah, that could mean you'd see people talking in quest dialogs about the gloom when it's sunny on your screen, but really, there are so many bigger paradoxes about the passage of time while we're porting around that this shouldn't even register. I'd hope the people who built Imloth Melui are as eager to have us see it in sunshine as we are to see it that way.
    I don't see another layer of Gondor as being likely. But it would be awesome. And yeah, I'd be happy with a toggle for the sky and lighting, too. It would also be cool if we just got separate layers of all the major cities, but I doubt that'll happen, either.