We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Helm's Deep armour sets and new class?

Hey fellow LoTRO community members!

I'd just like to bring two things to your attention.

Firstly, I'd just like to say I hope we will get some pretty decent COSMETICTLY looking armour sets and not just decent stats. If you compare how the armour sets of RoR look like compared to the sets in RoI, it looks terrrible! The raiding gear from RoI looked pretty epic!

Secondly, I think it would be a good idea Turbine if you guys introduced a couple of new classes (Next years expansion main idea right there!) Perhaps adding a new tanking/semi-dps class and a healing/dps class? Don't get me wrong I enjoy all the nine classes that are already available but I think a couple more would make the game more fun and interesting.

With that said, thumbs up on the new expanison pack.

Cheers!

I think we should wait for classes revamp. After revamp we may look and expect other classes as we could see what areas are free for new class.

?

> tanking/semi-dps

This is ground already covered by the guardian, warden, captain, and champ

> healing/dps

Already covered by RK, minstrel, captain

No doubt we will see some new looking gear when Helm's Deep comes out
    Probably see it on Bullroarer in the run up to Live

But as for new classes .....

there are many threads on this.
    majority with same answer

There is no need for a new class

New armour? Very likely. New classes? No way in Utumno.

(There are those who assert to this day that adding the last two classes was a mistake. )

Returning to armour, my thoughts are as follows:

1. The best armour in the game comes from high-difficulty raids.

2. If you don't raid, you don't need raid armour.

3. That said, the ability to get very good armour from grinding something like Hytbold is a great boon, particularly for us weak and squishy types.

So I'd like to see a Hytbold-type gear-yielding grind in the Westemnet. Maybe Helm's Deep will be it ... or maybe not. Remember that all we've seen so far is one dinky press release. We'll find out more as we go along.
    Eruanne - Shards of Narsil-1 - Elendilmir -> Arkenstone

Quote Originally Posted by Malindruel View Post
    No doubt we will see some new looking gear when Helm's Deep comes out
    Probably see it on Bullroarer in the run up to Live

But as for new classes .....

there are many threads on this.
    majority with same answer

There is no need for a new class
    I agree there's no "need" for a new class, but I'm always in favor of variety. If they could make a new class that is mechanically different enough from the existing classes, even if it serves the same role, then I'd be all for it. The Warden and Guardian, for example, are both tanks but offer a completely different play experience.

The question, of course, comes down to whether or not Turbine would make enough money on the sales of a new class to cover the cost of creating one. I have no idea if they could or not, but I expect that if the answer was yes we would have seen a new class already.

I think another huge hurdle to introducing a new class now is....

95 levels.

You wanna level up a new character to 95? Ugh... that's work. And then there are virtues to work up. If the cap on those gets raised (and I am not trying to start a rumor. I have not seen or heard anything to that effect.) then the slayer deeds and other grinding will be a nightmare.

Quote Originally Posted by kidnova78 View Post
    I agree there's no "need" for a new class, but I'm always in favor of variety. If they could make a new class that is mechanically different enough from the existing classes, even if it serves the same role, then I'd be all for it. The Warden and Guardian, for example, are both tanks but offer a completely different play experience.
    That's how I saw it pretty much. While I see there isn't any room for any new archetype really, It would be awesome to see a new support similar to a captain or burg, with the focus being buffs/debuffs, but with the gambit system or some other type of unique difference in ability useage.

Quote Originally Posted by Coruven View Post
    You wanna level up a new character to 95? Ugh... that's work. And then there are virtues to work up. If the cap on those gets raised (and I am not trying to start a rumor. I have not seen or heard anything to that effect.) then the slayer deeds and other grinding will be a nightmare.
    They REALLY need to add someway to just skip to like 60 with all your virtues at like 5 or 6 once you have a 95 or w/e the cap will be. Sure they could just reduce the exp needed for each level every expansion but already that feels awkward. You'll end up doing like 20% of the quests in a zone before moving onto the next one. It'll be too much running around, and because a lot of the the upgrades you get are at the end of quest chains, you'll end up with a lot of armor like 10+ levels lower than you unless you craft pieces for yourself. I really hope they don't make this a paid feature though, I hope it would just be something you can do after you get to the cap on one character.

As for the armor, I really like the more "normal" looking pieces. I don't like the spiky or overly ornate armor, so I'm really hoping to see more conventional armor, I think it's much more aesthetically pleasing and fits the universe much better. I like pieces that look like they were ripped straight from world of warcraft and have all these crazy intricate designs or "energy" running along the surface. If you look at the NPC's they often have more realistic and conventional stuff, it isn't too ornate, their cloaks might be tattered and ripped from the journeys stuff like that. Then you look at yourself and sometimes it's like your from a completely different game. Same with the faces. NPC faces look higher res and more serious to fit the tone, while our own faces are plain and always look cheerful and happy. I really hope they address this.

Quote Originally Posted by djheydt View Post
    New armour? Very likely. New classes? No way in Utumno.

(There are those who assert to this day that adding the last two classes was a mistake. )

Returning to armour, my thoughts are as follows:

1. The best armour in the game comes from high-difficulty raids.

2. If you don't raid, you don't need raid armour.

3. That said, the ability to get very good armour from grinding something like Hytbold is a great boon, particularly for us weak and squishy types.

So I'd like to see a Hytbold-type gear-yielding grind in the Westemnet. Maybe Helm's Deep will be it ... or maybe not. Remember that all we've seen so far is one dinky press release. We'll find out more as we go along.
    I agree that new classes are about as likely as JRR himself returning from the great beyond.

My only issue with the armor thoughts is #2. You don't need raid armor for raids, either. But people, raiders and non-raiders, alike want gear progression and to have the best gear for their playstyle. The only way I would go along with #2 is if raid armor was only useful in raids, being extremely nerfed outside of a raid instance. That way the best armor for anything not PVP (already have their own PVP sets) or Raid would be from questing/crafting. If raiders (and I am one) want their armor to be the best armor there is, and they want it limited to those who raid, then they should expect that it will be gimped when participating in other playstyles.

I've never understood players obsessing over the gear other players have. Raiders are particularly guilty of this, and it has in part created the poisonous forum atmosphere surrounding anything raid related.

Quote Originally Posted by Sthrax View Post
    My only issue with the armor thoughts is #2. You don't need raid armor for raids, either. But people, raiders and non-raiders, alike want gear progression and to have the best gear for their playstyle. The only way I would go along with #2 is if raid armor was only useful in raids, being extremely nerfed outside of a raid instance. That way the best armor for anything not PVP (already have their own PVP sets) or Raid would be from questing/crafting. If raiders (and I am one) want their armor to be the best armor there is, and they want it limited to those who raid, then they should expect that it will be gimped when participating in other playstyles.

I've never understood players obsessing over the gear other players have. Raiders are particularly guilty of this, and it has in part created the poisonous forum atmosphere surrounding anything raid related.
    The idea is some one should actually have to actually raid and be good at it if they want the best gear possible for their role. Just giving out the best gear possible for anyone of near any skill level who just grinds enough isn't fun, it makes for an EXTREMELY boring end game. Getting the best gear should be an actual accomplishment that took some skill, dedication and co-operation with raid members. But like his #3, there should just be a good set of a gear you can grind for, that certainly is enough for dungeons and questing, and for an intro to raiding and pvp. I biggest staying power for an MMO is to have an actual end game with challenge and rewards for those challenge. Grinding to the cap, then grinding instances over and over for all of your gear isn't fun or a challenge.

I LOVE the idea of better looking armour especially for my hunter so I look so cool shooting my arrows in the mist. As for classes were good on it all and its all covered by many classes. But, better looking armour would be great

Well, considering that all nine classes are getting overhauled for the expansion, I don't really think its necessary. (see: the Helm's Deep press release, dev chats discussing class revamps etc.).

Quote Originally Posted by Death-Ranger610 View Post
    The idea is some one should actually have to actually raid and be good at it if they want the best gear possible for their role. Just giving out the best gear possible for anyone of near any skill level who just grinds enough isn't fun, it makes for an EXTREMELY boring end game. Getting the best gear should be an actual accomplishment that took some skill, dedication and co-operation with raid members. But like his #3, there should just be a good set of a gear you can grind for, that certainly is enough for dungeons and questing, and for an intro to raiding and pvp. I biggest staying power for an MMO is to have an actual end game with challenge and rewards for those challenge. Grinding to the cap, then grinding instances over and over for all of your gear isn't fun or a challenge.
    I don't disagree with any of that. All I'm saying is the best armor for x activity should be gained from x activity AND should be significantly less useful for Y and Z activities. Raid armor should be the best armor- for raids and raids alone- and be earned through raids. But take that raid armor to landscape or to PVP, and it should be significantly worse than the best armors for those activities.

I think the fact we are having class trees (Trait trees?) being added to the game, might not be good for adding a new class in as well. We may never get any new classes (Hope we do!). The idea for cosmetics though? I totally agree, there can end up being some really nice armour sets for Helms Deep.

Guess we'll have to wait and see!

Quote Originally Posted by legolasluver View Post
    I LOVE the idea of better looking armour especially for my hunter so I look so cool shooting my arrows in the mist. As for classes were good on it all and its all covered by many classes. But, better looking armour would be great

I'm reading all posts refering to armour stats instead of what I orginally said which was having good looking armour cosmetically. Thank you for reading properly on that part. (PS my Hunter is a Hobbit so you can understand why I want her to look good shooting those arrows too. :P)

Quote Originally Posted by Nakiami View Post
    ?

> tanking/semi-dps

This is ground already covered by the guardian, warden, captain, and champ

> healing/dps

Already covered by RK, minstrel, captain

But one more more buffer will be fine.

Regarding the two points:

1) Armour sets in RoR overall weren't that bad - admittedly Hytbold was nothing special, but the Erebor set, certainly for guardians, looks amazing.
    2) I'd love a new class, but only because I've now got all my characters to above 70 and want something else to level if they revamp other zones If they were to add another, it would have to be some sort of buff/debuff class to make it special - I'm not saying that the game needs it, but quite selfishly, I'm saying I want it

I dont need new classes. But what i'd like to see is the fall of Class / Race restrictions.
    I would love to see a Hobbit Rk or a Burglar Dwarf.

For that i would start a new Char from 0.

Greetings Skor

I don't disagree with any of that. All I'm saying is the best armor for x activity should be gained from x activity AND should be significantly less useful for Y and Z activities. Raid armor should be the best armor- for raids and raids alone- and be earned through raids. But take that raid armor to landscape or to PVP, and it should be significantly worse than the best armors for those activities.
    I agree with this and it would go a long way towards resolving the never ending debate over end-game gear. The only reason to envy another playstyle's equipment at that point would be due to cosmetics, which could be addressed by continuing to add older cosmetic sets to the skirm vendors as they become obsolete.

Quote Originally Posted by lukasz11 View Post
    I'm reading all posts refering to armour stats instead of what I orginally said which was having good looking armour cosmetically. Thank you for reading properly on that part. (PS my Hunter is a Hobbit so you can understand why I want her to look good shooting those arrows too. :P)
    Hehehe don't mention it. I blur out the other parts when it comes to cosmetics being said. :P And I've always wanted to try a hobbit hunter and see their point of view from shooting arrows at orcs xD.

95 levels.

You wanna level up a new character to 95? Ugh... that's work. And then there are virtues to work up.
    I'm reminded of Mark Twain's dictum, "Work consists of what a body is obliged to do, and Play consists of what a body is not obliged to do."

I have already leveled two characters to 85 and done Hytbold with them. I'm now working on another character who was a low-level cooking mule; she just made level 56 and is running around doing quests in Echad Dunann and Echad Mirobel. Yes, she's over level for those regions, but she's a squishy Minstrel.

I'm enjoying it.

Quote Originally Posted by legolasluver View Post
    Hehehe don't mention it. I blur out the other parts when it comes to cosmetics being said. :P And I've always wanted to try a hobbit hunter and see their point of view from shooting arrows at orcs xD.
    Not only orcs, as you'll recall, but Wormtongue.

95 levels.

Its not work to me - its the sole reason why I'd want another class - I love levelling! (Though I know some people don't) I've currently got 5 capped characters and 4 more in between 73 and 79 - a new class would give me the opportunity to experience revamped zones if Turbine continue the trend they began with Evendim

Quote Originally Posted by Tirian-Hammerfist View Post
    Its not work to me - its the sole reason why I'd want another class - I love levelling! (Though I know some people don't) I've currently got 5 capped characters and 4 more in between 73 and 79 - a new class would give me the opportunity to experience revamped zones if Turbine continue the trend they began with Evendim
    Well said!

I'd really love leveling through Bree Land, Lone Lands, North Downs/Evendim, Misty, Angmar, Forochel, Eregion and Moria again! --- Got to love the scenary in Forochel.

Then again, everyone has their own opinions about leveling a whole new toon. I just personally think it would be a good idea to be able to revisit some of those regions again as I mentioned above with a new class.

Needing 3 different armor sets is ridiculous.

It is true that the best pvp armor should be gotten through pvp, but the best raid set should be the best set you can get for any PvE. General grinding for rep or w/e out in the landscape does not need its own set of armor that's best for that, it's just unnecessary. If you got yourself to the top of PvE content, then you should have the best gear for it, and if you've gotten yourself to the top of pvp content then you should have the best gear for that, there's no need for a third "best" set specifically random stuff you do in the landscape. The easy to access set I was talking about should just be a good starting off point for raiding or pvp, and if you don't want to do either, then you're not in a great need for a whole bunch of stats.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast