We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Never raided before.

I have been playing LORTO for 3+ years and have never raided or been in a fellowship. Now, I am looking to get started, but I do not know where to begin. Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0a20b000000132174/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around, you could miss it!

Quote Originally Posted by hollyday1 View Post
    I have been playing LORTO for 3+ years and have never raided or been in a fellowship. Now, I am looking to get started, but I do not know where to begin. Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    As a hunter your goal will be to kill only the right targets, killing your own targets come from experience so I would recommend making sure you have a raid assist window. You can do this by opening up options > combat options and checking ON the assist window.

It is helpful to cure poisons that go on your raid members depending on the amount and how potent.

Be careful not to pull agro off of the tank. This can result in unfortunate wipes. Make use of beneath notice.

Positioning is important. Stand in places away from mobs, particularly ones that use area of effect attacks. You have range there is no need to stand beside something that kills you unless the leader has told you to stand in a specific spot.

Your main role is damage. Equip yourself to do so. This way you will be useful and wanted.

Look for a group of people that you relate to.

Goodluck!
    Yelk, Hunter| Rank 15 | Gladden | Leader of Shock and Awe
    Original Challenger of Saruman
    Original Challenger of Gothmog

The user created chat channel /glff (global looking for fellowship) was my doorway into raiding/serious fellowing. My kin was awesome but we were small and came together to roleplay. Glff has some curmudgeons on it but for the most part I found a tremendous amount of answers and helping hands there.

Start by joining 3 mans and easy 6 mans that people are advertising for your class on GLFF and be honest with your group leader about your limited experience. The ramp in is soft and you'll be joining raids in no time.

Got folks on your friends list? Talk to them about running an instance.

Be sure to enable your Assist Window. Most the other options in the combat options are good too (can see your selections target).

I'd recommend a six-person instance first, like what you have probably seen advertised in GLFF, Great Barrows Sambrog runs, Thadur, Glinghant, stuff like that. The reason being is there'll be less pressure on you. In a three-person, your role will be more critical. Be sure to let the leader of the group know you are new to grouping and are not familiar with the instance. That way they'll know to tell you anything specific (like how to properly complete the challenge, IE, which targets to hit when).

If you've never participated in a Fellowship Maneuver (the four color wheel that may appear), if there's no discussion about it, and everyone hits a certain color, match the same color. If you hit something else, it'll be dropped and not help. If you match, you'll get a bigger effect. If they plan a pattern, just hit your color in the right place, if it's in the wrong place, simply jump/move to cancel and redo properly.

Finally, be prepared with pots. These are the various cure potions available from NPC healers. They are critical in some instances, as effects may happen to the entire group.

There are a lot of great resources you can search for, g'luck! :-)
    Link to our community LOTRO store google spreadsheet pricelist and conversion rates, please contribute too!: https://goo.gl/wxPqCm

Buy stacks of disease, fear , wound and poison potions, otherwise just do what you do solo, shoot arrows at bad guys, they just have a little bit more morale than on landscape. If you were a healer or tank, then grouping experience would differ a whole lot from landscape questing.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/222190000000c1ccd/01003/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

This turbine..

It shouldnt be possible to play this game for 3 years and never done any instance\raid..
    There is a reason it is a MMORPG.. Grouping and instance play should be forced. If not u can make a Lord of the rings offline game that suits the solo players.

Please please reconsider

To the OP, tell a person that is advertising for a run that u are a hunter.. join and kill stuff
    Commander Emaldiom [EN] Eldar - Challenger of Saruman

Don't get discouraged. At first you'll make mistakes and sometimes find yourself in groups where people are less than polite to new raiders. Shrug it off, learn from it and keep trying, eventually you'll find friendly folks to run with. Also, do some reading about grouping. Here's an older link but much of it is still useful. http://lorebook.lotro.com/wiki/A_Beg...de_to_Grouping

Good luck and have fun.
    Galedlen/Rud/Aerval/Erenric et al of Landroval

Get a headset/mic, kin raiding is usually done with voice coms for communication [teamspeak/vent/mumble]. Usually it will be the leader that talks and everyone else listens unless they need to tell the raid something, if not listen and follow directions.

Your pc graphic settings, unless you have a powerful pc expect to have to lower the settings. Raiding with Ultra everything isn't possible unless you have a very good pc

UI get it clean enough to see all you need, chat window can go unless pugging, same for quest tracker/legendary tracker. Can help to make a raiding setup and save it

To save a ui layout use:
    /ui layout save <filename>

To load a ui layout use:
    /ui layout load <filename>
    Enable the show only dispellable effects option which will show debuffs only, related to that get to know the bad debuffs. Some are worse than others
    Save all destiny points you have, for harder content you will be using them

Welcome to your next adventure in Middle Earth! Lots of great advice has already been given. I'll try to flesh out a few other items.

Look at your gear and be certain to replace any that is obsolete on the basis of its level relative to yours.

Look at your virtues check with others for ideas of which ones to equip and if these aren't 16s please consider deeding to raise these.

Think about your skills that help your group. Are you a hunter? Does the tank have a nasty poison dot? If yes then consider clearing it especially in an instance where your group faces other dots (wound, fear, disease) so as to preserve the cooldowns when short a class that can clear these (lm or capt for example).

Go for agility+damage type for your bow and agility+phys mastery for your melee weap (iirc you'll boost your bow dps in this manner).

Look for advice on settings for your LIs and legacies.

Be ready for someone that hasn't put in any real effort to try to work with others, has an unprepared character and won't listen/adjust his/her play style to the capability of the group. Just dust yourself off and declare your readiness for the next adventure!
    A vote for Sapience is a vote for progress? A 4th fix to get Draigoch to "dragon up" that still doesn't fix the persistent bug in the raid is not how I define progress.

School and Library are good starter instances. Many people run them repeatedly, so most know how they work, and they are fairly easy. You could post in glff ("new to grouping, looking for someone to take me through school or lib"), or wait until someone advertises for school/lib. Be up front that you're new to grouping and the instance, and many folks are happy to explain. One thing you also could do is at least partially solo school or lib, setting the level to 50. You don't have to finish (and may not be able to), but it will at least let you go in and poke your way around so the lay of the land is familiar to you.

As a hunter, your main job is to do damage as fast as possible without getting the aggro of the mobs. Start really slowly with your DPS if you have a tank or heavy. Let them pull (they do first attacks), and ramp up your DPS slowly. e.g.. don't use heartseeker early. If doing school/lib, doesn't matter all that much for the smaller mobs, as if you get one you can kill it and survive anyway. The "bosses", the guys with big damage, you don't want hitting you too much...

If you do run across people who are impatient etc, well, it happens. I find most people in PUGs (groups of strangers, "pick up groups") to actually be quite pleasant. But don't be put off if you find the occasional person who is not friendly, use your ignore as needed.

Finding a kin is also a good option if you want that. And feel free to try out and leave kins until you find one is a good fit for you. Your signature shows you are a recruit in a kin, why not start by asking kinfolk to take you through something if there are any in the kin who do instances?
    Last edited by DelgonTheWise; Apr 30 2013 at 01:05 PM.

And increase your Agility first : 2307 is not enough at 85 (I have ~2950 on my hunter without being top geared),
    to increase your Physical Mastery (DPS)
    In particular with jewels; you have standard jewels, not bad, but instances jewels are a lot better and you can now buy basic ones at AH for nearly nothing.
    You will lose morale from Eomer jewels, but morale is not too important for hunters (though try to keep a not too low Vita and around 8000 morale to avoid some one-shoots, but some bosses in instances can do ~ -17K on hunters...)

Boost your morale to at least 8k unbuffed, get up your tact mits and don't die. : )