We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Regardless of Tolkien's views or anyone else's:

The game is set in Tolkien's world which is based heavily upon Mediaeval Europe, where same-sex marriage was not a documented occurrence. It never goes on in his works, either.

Allowing any type of marriage (lore appropriate or otherwise) opens the floodgates to a dam Turbine don't need or want to get involved in. IF you want an in game marriage of any kind why not plump for an era/lore appropriate one and have a friend of some status (Kin leader?) do it?

For what it's worth I support IRL equality, but that is not relevant to the game world we play in.
    [CENTER][I][FONT=georgia]"Never laugh at live dragons"[/FONT][/I]
    [/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by Erlessa View Post
    Considering Tolkien was a devout roman catholic this game should honour his values despite what I or whichever player of this game would feel about that.
    He also disclaimed his own religion of having any part in the design of LotR, so I wouldn't make the game cater to the....idiosyncrasies...of the RCC.

Quote Originally Posted by whheydt View Post
    He also disclaimed his own religion of having any part in the design of LotR, so I wouldn't make the game cater to the....idiosyncrasies...of the RCC.
    Not exactly. Tolkien made it very clear he had no desire for parallels to be drawn between his created mythology and any real life mythology. He detested the suggestion that his created universe was in any way allegorical.

That's not to say that his own faith and experience didn't influence him greatly in it's design and implementation though, he made it clear that this was the case on a few occasions.

That being said you're right to say the Catholic doctrine has no weight within Arda, even if it bore some sway over its design.
    [CENTER][I][FONT=georgia]"Never laugh at live dragons"[/FONT][/I]
    [/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by Ceremony View Post

New outfits, decorations, and housing add ons.
    http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.p...s-(DSL-warning!)
    this one. must-have-it.

Untrue as written, it may not be reflected directly in LOTR but the book reflects Catholic thinking (Tolkien said as much in a letter), at least in general terms. What it's true to say however is that one shouldn't read too much into that, particularly as regards a topic like this which would never even have entered Tolkien's head.

At some considerable risk of getting this thread closed... Name one reason that is NOT rooted in religion.
    Down here in South Florida and North Carolina, you see pressure against same sex marriages over:

1) The unwilliness of government and corporations to take the economic hit for extending marriage. Things like health insurance, government benefits, tax breaks for inheritance...

2) Legsl and society rules are designed for splitting up a Male and Female marriage contract. The government and businesses do not want to expend the money to figure out how to deal with a divorce especially when there are children involved. Who is the mommy? Who is the daddy? in a Female Female or Male Male marriage.

3) The legal base does not support children in this situation. You have a Female and Female marriage. You want kids. You could go natural insemination. The male is the daddy. The non genetic Female is not part of the Family. In some states they go after the Male for child support. You might be able to adopt or do a surrogate. Again you get into "Who are parents? Who is the Mommy? Who is the Daddy?"

4) A lot of family members do not like it because of the distribution of wealth on death. The genetic relatives want the loot. They do not want to give anything to the spouse or any non genetic offspring.

My family "Sigh" tends to be rather greedy. There have very unpleasant situations when an Aunt dies without a spouse or any childre. Or someone dies and has a second or third spouse. If it is blended family situation with his, hers and theirs for children. Nasty. Same sex marriages are going to magnify the unpleasantness.

My personal opinion as always, using my own personal experience with cranky relatives. It is splitting the loot that cases all the problems. Fighting over money while married is a popular activity between spouses. Our family fights over things like which holiday will a husband and wife will spend with his or her parents. There must be some kind of scoring list for holidays. It is clear some holidays are worth more points. If you always do Thankgiving at her parents house and Christmas at his house. The numerical count is equal. Christmas and Thanksgiving have different worths.
    Last edited by Yula_the_Mighty; May 26 2013 at 01:52 PM.
    Unless stated otherwise, all content in this post is My Personal Opinion.

Few More ~_~

Renaming legendary items after final reforge by Reyph
    http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.p...-final-reforge
    “A single dream is more powerful than a thousand realities.” -???

I know there is a suggestion for LI appearances/cosmetic but can't seem to find it now.

Couple of others to add to this list :
    Female Dwarves by Shazza_dee
    https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...Female-Dwarves

Move characters to another account that has a sub by Charzilion
    https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...t-subscription

Lifers should get more TPs by Kerr_Avon
    https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...ints-per-month

Allowing f2p to buy into the moors by demonsbane3434
    https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...ccess-to-moors

Forgot to add
    10 emotes I wish were in Lotro by Harnath
    https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...-were-in-lotro
    I agreed with some of the comments as well.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3