We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Suggestions that would make us have a better gaming :D

I think the expansion, Helm's Deep a few good suggestions by your fellow players.
    this is what I think should be added to Helm's Deep to exceed my own exceptions.

Auto Combine ALL by Me
    http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.p...to-Combine-ALL

Kinship Revamp Proposal: Started by Galuhad
    http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.p...evamp-Proposal

Housing Resign:Started by Adder
    http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.p...using-Redesign

Marriages: Started by mmantsevich1
    http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.p...g-while-moving

New Class: Beorning Started by
    http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.p...Class-Beorning

65 FA add to Skirmish camp Started by Me
    http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.p...sh-camp-reward

Auto harvest when farming: Started by Daecon
    http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.p...t-when-farming

Moving Charaters to another accounts:
    http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.p...t-subscription

Players choose the looting system:Started by Taldeen
    http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.p...ey-want-to-use

Turbine Account Authenticators:
    http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.p...Please-support!

Stop I.E
    http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.p...ernet-Explorer

New outfits, decorations, and housing add ons.
    http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.p...s-(DSL-warning!)

Skip session play repeats
    http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.p...n-Play-Repeats

Forecloses
    http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.p...hlight=housing
    “A single dream is more powerful than a thousand realities.” -???

At least one of those things is on the way and you won't have to wait HD to launch. With U11, Foreclosures and permanent escrow are going into effect for houses.
    Crickhollow Server:
    Evenhald: L85 Minstrel Armaius: L76 Loremaster. Gaheriad: L81 Hunter Malhion: L74 Captain

On the other hand, in-game marriage we will never get (this isn't 1998), and Beornings are as unlikely as Alpha Centauri going supernova.*

*It's a binary, neither of whose components are large enough.
    Eruanne - Shards of Narsil-1 - Elendilmir -> Arkenstone

I thought Marriages would be fun and interesting to Lotro.

Quote Originally Posted by Ceremony View Post
    I thought Marriages would be fun and interesting to Lotro.
    But then you run up against the question of same-sex marriages. If you permit them, you outrage one part of the population, and if you don't, you outrage another part. Turbine doesn't want to get into that kind of mess. In 1998, when Asheron's Call launched, you could arrange for a Sentinel (volunteer GM) to come officiate at your wedding. The ceremony was impressive, and at the end the Sentinel would shoot of fireworks. But in 1998 the question wasn't in the public consciousness. It is now.
    Last edited by djheydt; Apr 29 2013 at 12:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by djheydt View Post
    But then you run up against the question of same-sex marriages. If you permit them, you outrage one part of the population, and if you don't, you outrage another part. Turbine doesn't want to get into that kind of mess. In 1998, when Asheron's Call launched, you could arrange for a Sentinel (volunteer GM) to come officiate at your wedding. The ceremony was impressive, and at the end the Sentinel would shoot of fireworks. But in 1998 the question wasn't in the public consciousness. It is now.
    True but if Runes of Magic can manage it then I am sure that Turbine can handle something like that.

True but if Runes of Magic can manage it then I am sure that Turbine can handle something like that.
    LotRO has the added complication of being limited by LotR. In LotR, there are a *few* (less than 5, IIRC) human-elf marriages. There are no marriages crossing any other "race" (read: species) boundaries. Try selling *that* limitation to a bunch of gamers without having the Forums explode in fireworks.

Really...marriage in game is a can of worms that Turbine doesn't want to open. They tried it in alpha and the results were a mess. You really *don't* want to go there.

Housing Resign:Started by Adder
    Apparently in the works and planned for this year.

New Class: Beorning Started by
    It's a not very large family, it's been endlessly debated. Where would it fit into the existing class structure, anyway?

Auto harvest when farming: Started by Daecon
    Fire and forget leveling. Trivializes the "gimme" craft even further than it already is. NOT a good idea.

How much would you pay to have a character moved?

Stop I.E
    Have you tested the new launcher on BR? It not longer uses .NET 1.1.

Skip session play repeats
    Do I get to skip repeating types of content I don't like, too?

Forecloses
    Coming with Update 11. Longer house payment durations (by accounts, up to 27 weeks). Foreclosure after 5 months, with an initial additional 2 month grace period. Foreclosed housing gets indefinite escrow.

Basically, the list contains some things that are *never* going to happen, and some that are already in process.

Quote Originally Posted by whheydt View Post
    LotRO has the added complication of being limited by LotR. In LotR, there are a *few* (less than 5, IIRC) human-elf marriages.
    Let's see: Luthien and Beren, Tuor and Idril, Aragorn and Arwen. And some undocumented gene-crossing in Dol Amroth. Three and a half.

There are no marriages crossing any other "race" (read: species) boundaries.
    Although the Tooks were rumoured (by other families) to have married into an Elvish family (the less friendly said, a goblin family). "This was, of course, absurd."

Try selling *that* limitation to a bunch of gamers without having the Forums explode in fireworks
    Right.

Really...marriage in game is a can of worms that Turbine doesn't want to open. They tried it in alpha and the results were a mess. You really *don't* want to go there.
    Right again. You'll recall it worked in Asheron's Call 1, but that was (as I said) back in 1998, and all the player characters were humans.

In AC2 there were no marriage ceremonies, but if two player characters told you they were married, you believed them. Whh's and my Allegiance-mates knew that we were married, but we didn't make a big thing of it, since our mains were of different species. His was a Human and mine was a Tonk, who looked like a little furry green bipedal dinosaur. How's that for cross-species mixing?

Quote Originally Posted by djheydt View Post
    But then you run up against the question of same-sex marriages. If you permit them, you outrage one part of the population, and if you don't, you outrage another part.
    but there is no such problem really, its only a problem for homophobics, you know, people who are afraid of others
    because of personal deficits

its normal to see homosexuals as the same people as non-homosexuals ... I think the real problem here is the fact that Turbine is a Boston.Area Company ... you know, some people rather die as to admit to the reality of this world ...

and I was present at some marriages wich where held inside middle earth ...

regards

Quote Originally Posted by Flagge69 View Post
    but there is no such problem really, its only a problem for homophobics, you know, people who are afraid of others
    because of personal deficits

its normal to see homosexuals as the same people as non-homosexuals ... I think the real problem here is the fact that Turbine is a Boston.Area Company ... you know, some people rather die as to admit to the reality of this world ...

and I was present at some marriages wich where held inside middle earth ...

regards
    Whether the portion of the population is correct or not is irrelevant. Turbine can't do something like that because either way, they lose a portion of their population. If they allow gay marriage, the homophobes leave. If they prevent them, the LGBTQ-friendly population leaves. It's a lose-lose situation that has nothing to do with what may actually be right or not right.
    [CENTER][IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v341/tindragon/Base.png[/IMG]
    Steam: Sneakeh Snake[/CENTER]

Another suggestion is unbound scroll, this scroll makes any item unbound and bind to equip. I think Turbine can make this scroll and sell it in the Lotro store.

As others have said, some of the ideas you want are already being implemented with Update 11. And, some of those ideas just don't work.

Now, as for the idea of marriage...

I hate to break it to some of you, but there wasn't nor would there ever be homosexuality of any form in any of Tolkien's designs. So, whether or not you want to accept it, if Turbine was to allow for "marriage" in-game with our characters, there is no lore to support homosexuality. Right or wrong... it didn't exist in LOTR. So, it should not exist in the game. Period.
    Dagranhad - Burglar | Aldgarea - Loremaster | Barathrothir - Hunter | Golladhar - Captain

Marriages: Started by mmantsevich1
    http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.p...g-while-moving
    There are already marriages in LotRO. I have personally officiated over three. You gather your friends, say some words, set your last lames to the same thing, and bam!

http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.p...t-subscription
    Yeah, because we want people power-levelling characters to sell to others for RL cash.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCrossbow View Post
    Now, as for the idea of marriage...

I hate to break it to some of you, but there wasn't nor would there ever be homosexuality of any form in any of Tolkien's designs. So, whether or not you want to accept it, if Turbine was to allow for "marriage" in-game with our characters, there is no lore to support homosexuality. Right or wrong... it didn't exist in LOTR. So, it should not exist in the game. Period.
    Do you have even the slightest idea how dull and boring this game is going to be after they give in to you and remove everything that "didn't exist in LOTR. So, it should not exist in the game. Period."

Quote Originally Posted by whheydt View Post
    LotRO has the added complication of being limited by LotR. In LotR, there are a *few* (less than 5, IIRC) human-elf marriages. There are no marriages crossing any other "race" (read: species) boundaries. Try selling *that* limitation to a bunch of gamers without having the Forums explode in fireworks.
    And there are no, repeat no, same-sex marriages in LotR. Nobody even contemplates such a thing. And those who snicker about Frodo and Sam should be reminded that the first thing Sam did after getting back to the Shire and helping in cleaning up, was to marry Rosie Cotton.

Quote Originally Posted by Fortinobrand View Post
    Do you have even the slightest idea how dull and boring this game is going to be after they give in to you and remove everything that "didn't exist in LOTR. So, it should not exist in the game. Period."
    Dull and boring is a highly subjective point of view. How do you know "how dull and boring this game" would be if they had stuck more closely with what "did or didn't exist in LOTR"?

My point is simply that, in LOTR, homosexuality just plain did not exist. It wasn't even given the slightest thought or wasn't important enough to mention (probably because it was assumed that 99% of all "marriage" happened between a man/woman of the same race, so no need to mention it other than for a few rare exceptions).

Turbine probably won't implement any kind of "marriage" system, but, if they did, they would be on perfectly solid ground to say "Sorry, but in Middle-Earth it didn't exist. Get over it."
    Dagranhad - Burglar | Aldgarea - Loremaster | Barathrothir - Hunter | Golladhar - Captain

Turbine probably won't implement any kind of "marriage" system, but, if they did, they would be on perfectly solid ground to say "Sorry, but in Middle-Earth it didn't exist. Get over it."
    So, let's pretend they disregard the huge amount of things in game already that didn't exist in Middle Earth and take this stance. Let's even take out the interracial marriage issue. Let's look at just the sex issue.

• Male player/male character can marry female player/female character. Easy enough.
    • Male player/male character marry male player/female character?
    • Male player/male character marry female player/male character?

Would Turbine be setting rules for characters, or players? How will they handle those players who will get upset when they discover such goings on?

Once we sort who can get married, we can move on to the topic of divorce

I think staying out of the marriage business was one of the more intelligent decisions Turbine has made over the years.

So, let's pretend they disregard the huge amount of things in game already that didn't exist in Middle Earth and take this stance. Let's even take out the interracial marriage issue. Let's look at just the sex issue.

• Male player/male character can marry female player/female character. Easy enough.
    • Male player/male character marry male player/female character?
    • Male player/male character marry female player/male character?

Would Turbine be setting rules for characters, or players? How will they handle those players who will get upset when they discover such goings on?

Once we sort who can get married, we can move on to the topic of divorce

I think staying out of the marriage business was one of the more intelligent decisions Turbine has made over the years.
    I think you are missing the point completely. I am not talking about real life marriages and/or in-game marriages that are related to the real world. At this point, there is no "marriage mechanic" in game. So, it doesn't really matter.

However, if (at some point) Turbine was to introduce a marriage mechanic (which would be entirely for roleplay purposes I would think), the proper, lore-based mechanic would be male/female characters only (inter-racial marriage already existed in limited form). Whether or not the actual players are male/female really wouldn't matter because the in-game mechanic is the only thing that would need to be satisfied.

Of course, we are all talking "IF" because there is no in-game marriage mechanic.

I think you are missing the point completely. I am not talking about real life marriages and/or in-game marriages that are related to the real world. At this point, there is no "marriage mechanic" in game. So, it doesn't really matter.

However, if (at some point) Turbine was to introduce a marriage mechanic (which would be entirely for roleplay purposes I would think), the proper, lore-based mechanic would be male/female characters only (inter-racial marriage already existed in limited form). Whether or not the actual players are male/female really wouldn't matter because the in-game mechanic is the only thing that would need to be satisfied.

Of course, we are all talking "IF" because there is no in-game marriage mechanic.
    Of course we're playing at "if." Since the issue was raised in a suggestion forum, "if" is a given.

It's not as simple as saying the in-game mechanic is the only one that needs to be satisfied. WB/Turbine have to make money, and characters don't pay for gaming -- players do.

As I said above, we already have a RP marriage system. Have a ceremony, chnage your last names to the same thing. Role play it out. Done. When I hear people talk about a marriage system, they are asking for more.

Anyway, you say it would have to be limited to male/female only, and that we use character to determine whether they are male/female, so I'll play along. I see a couple of problems this brings up --

1 -- you are providing a method for RL husband/wife gamers (such as my wife and I) to be married in-game and get whatever benefits that brings (shared vaults? titles? healing bonus when healing a spouse? /slapflirtybarwench emote?). You are also telling same-sex RL couples that they can be part of the virtual community and enjoy whatever gaming benefits marriage brings IF one of them will pretend to be the opposite sex. That's not going to sit well with people.

2 -- There are players -- I know at least 5 and I know relatively few players in-game so there are bound to be more -- who despise fellowing with a male player running a female character. They find it to be an offence against their religion. Yes, I know, that is utterly ludicrous but it's there. If they will drop someone from a fellowship because they are a male playing a female (I've witness them doing that) how angry are they going to be when they find out that their Hobbit character married friends Jack and Jill are actually RL couple Jack and Phil?

WB doesn't need this can of worms. We don't need Turbine distracted with managing social issues -- they need to crank out more (and better quality) game goodness! This is why RL social and religious issues should be left out of the game.

EDIT -- By the way -- I'm not arguing just to argue. I'm genuinely interested in your opinion, and appreciate what you have shared, even though we disagree. You've given me some stuff to think about.
    Last edited by Fortinobrand; May 06 2013 at 04:04 PM.

Turbine has to satisfy the "politically correct" monster or they will make people really mad.
    There. I summarized your whole post to say what you really mean.

I will just respond with...

There would be no need for it. For all the times we want Turbine to obey the Lore, yet we would want Turbine to bend the lore so they don't offend people by not being politically correct?

Give me a break...

There. I summarized your whole post to say what you really mean.

I will just respond with...

There would be no need for it. For all the times we want Turbine to obey the Lore, yet we would want Turbine to bend the lore so they don't offend people by not being politically correct?

Give me a break...
    Supporting the dignity and basic rights of another human is a good thing, and a core morality issue. Dismissing such as "political correctness" is diminishing those basic rights for people who don't live as you want them to, and says more about you than it does anything else. I suppose it's a good thing Turbine is choosing to stay away from this one, even though it has some solid in-game potential.

No worries, I'm done here.

Supporting the dignity and basic rights of another human is a good thing, and a core morality issue. Dismissing such as "political correctness" is diminishing those basic rights for people who don't live as you want them to, and says more about you than it does anything else. I suppose it's a good thing Turbine is choosing to stay away from this one, even though it has some solid in-game potential.
    Turbine are ever likely to stay clear of it because people take it way too seriously, as you are doing here, so that what should be just a bit of RP fluff gets lumped in with 'supporting ... dignity and basic rights' or something equally pompous and there's this insistence it must be fully inclusive even when that'd be wildly out of context.

Kinship Revamp Proposal: I truly hope this idea is implemented at least in part someday. Some really fantastic ideas in there.

As far as marriage goes, I prefer leaving that to the players to construct themselves through their RP. I've seen some incredibly beautiful and creative wedding ceremonies during my years here that were much more meaningful than checking some box on the character panel. I'm not really sure what would be gained by Turbine's involvement, other than perhaps a character title.

And Beornings: just no.
    Last edited by Whart; May 06 2013 at 07:59 PM.

No worries, I'm done here.
    And to totally ignore the fact that there is no basis in the lore and the world in which our characters exist for what you think there should be.

But, apparently, even the lore upon which this game is built (and without it there would not be LOTRO) is to be sacrificed on the altar of political correctness".

If they added marriage--with explicit support for same sex marriage (ie, allowing husband/husband or wife/wife labels)--and did it in a bold, no apologies kind of way--they could ride a wave of publicity and internet-karma that could in the long run increase the user base and give the game a very positive reputation amongst the lion's share of their potential customers.

Yeah, there will be some significant portion that won't like it, but I'd surmise only a very small portion of those would quit or even actively complain. Just like in real life, for most straight people, it's not like allowing gay marriage will turn your neighborhood into never-ending gay pride week. We already have tons of gay couples running around ME, sanctioning it isn't going to make much difference in the day to day game.

But for those that do approve of it, and for those non-players who read about it (if Turbine is actually smart enough to do some PR) it could be a big boost for LotRO to be painted as the first game to show that kind of tolerance and acceptance. With the current climate of quickly growing support for gay marriage, SOME big game is going to take advantage of the positive wave of publicity that being the first to embrace it will generate sooner or later. Why not this big game? It's easy, positive publicity and a feel-good move. And IMO the right thing to do.

Seriously, it's time companies realize this issue is no longer a "can of worms" to be avoided. It's an inevitability that should be embraced. The timing is perfect. They should do it!
    Last edited by daneyul; May 07 2013 at 07:26 AM.
    I7-6700k, Gigabyte Gaming 5 motherboard, MSI GamingX GTX 1070, Samsung 850 EVO SSD (500 GB), 3200 DD4 16 GB Ram, 1920x1200 28 inch monitor, Win 10

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast