We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Captain vs guardian ?

I can't make my mind betwen these 2 class. I know the game now turned to be mostly a solo one but I hope to group as much as possible at level cap. I guess beeing a guardian would be easier to get a group going but I guess a good captain wouldn,t have it that bad either.

So what make a guardian or a captain fun to play to you ?

Major difference that I've seen is that captains are much more painful at lower levels. Now that my captain is level 56 and can use an archer, life is better. My guardian was always easy to play, if a trifle slow.

I should add that after 20, my Captain did about half of his leveling in skirmishes, simply because it was faster and easier. As a result, his virtues are embarassingly low. If you go this route, remember to go back and do virtue stuff once you are overleveled.
    Last edited by Kurmudgeon; Apr 29 2013 at 06:15 PM.
    Tiger got to hunt,/ Bird got to fly;
    Man got to sit and wonder, 'Why, why, why?'
    Tiger got to sleep, / Bird got to land,
    Man got to tell himself he understand.

I chose guardian because tanking just reflects my personality,but that's just me.In the earlier lvls I was never afraid of my charecter dieing but it goes a bit slow since its not a DpS class.

I have both ...

then I made another Captain, and, another Guardian.

I do have a couple others
    this post was brought to you by a Misguided Misfit ... no pixels were harmed in its making

Quote Originally Posted by varlak74 View Post
    I can't make my mind betwen these 2 class. I know the game now turned to be mostly a solo one but I hope to group as much as possible at level cap. I guess beeing a guardian would be easier to get a group going but I guess a good captain wouldn,t have it that bad either.
    Captains have no trouble getting groups. Most raids want 2 Capts, and are fairly happy to take (good) Wardens in place of a Guard, so often want 0-2 Guards. Captains are excellent in 3 mans and 6 mans as well, and in many cases a Guardian is "overkill" for the easier small-group content that is prevalent -- for easier content your often better off with a Champ these days. If you do the PvP thing, I'd say Capts are rather more useful as well.

Go with whatever you think is more fun though. Guards are very tough top-end tanks with a secondary DPS (OP) role. Captains are buffers, with good healing (not raid level healing generally, but able to heal most 3 and 6 mans if they are good at it) and OK tanking ability, but arguably worst in game DPS. Captains level rather slowly, and some find the 40s-50s sort of painful. Captains, particularly leveling, are a "pet" class, though you can use standards and many do so at end game.

Captains are more fun to my way of thinking, but I never got my Guard anywhere near end game (got bored in the 40s somehere). Captains are pretty versatile. Captains have lots of epic "disaster recovery" skills, and bring back a fellow/raid from failure and certain wipe is for me quite fun. But obviously this is a matter of taste, so trying out both and see which suits your personal style best is the way to go.
    Last edited by DelgonTheWise; Jul 15 2013 at 02:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by varlak74 View Post

So what make a guardian or a captain fun to play to you ?
    What I think you need to do is find a max level guard and a max level cappy and watch them fight it out so you can see who has what. Guard = Hit me harder. Cappy = If you be my friend I'll buff you. If you are still having trouble deciding, go on a server you've never been on (not firefoot) and test both of them out and decide for yourself. I have played both of them and decided that the 40s are gruesomely slow and dreadful but once you get into Moria it gets a bit faster.

Wink

I would say neither.
    If you want a heavy armour class, pick champ. amazing solo ability, great in any group situation. Champs can solo as good as a cappy, if not better, can tank even raids , i have seen a champ tank BFE T2C, the hardest tanking job in the game.
    If you want a die hard full of tricks char, pick warden instead. high morale, capped avoidances, massive self-heals, good dps in single and multi-targets. groups don´t value wardens, but wardens DPS as hunters, tank like guards, interrupt as champs. You will level faster and will help any group a whole lot more than a guard ever could, while having a better playing experience than a captain ever could. After 5y playing a cappy i can tell you, Captains work twice as hard as any other class for half the results. I can remember every single time that i had to squeeze every skill i had to avoid a wipe only to realize at the end of the run that no one in group realized how close we were to doom had i not saved the day.
    I few examples of why being a captain sucks:
    -It was only after i got a First age two handed weapon that i could one shot the dwarfs on Iobars peak last boss. All the other classes can do it using 3rd age weapons.
    -Slayer deeds take twice as long for a cappy to complete.
    -Your key skills will be not be noticed in the middle of the fight, but you will get the blame if the group wipes:

Use Shield of the Dunedain to reduced in 75% the damage upon your friend- he will think that he is avoiding it do to his own abilities...
    Use in Harms way to take upon yourself half the damage done upon the whole fellowship. Same thinking as above, but this time they will also think you are a squishy that is taking lots of damage.
    Use last stand to become immortal for a few seconds. they may not noticed it, thinking you lucky for not falling dead, or they may wipe even with you using last stand and AFTER the wipe, blame you for not using last stand.
    Pop time of need for slashing your own health to squeeze some last minute heal/buff to save the group, only to hear after the wipe that your heals suck and they should get a minstrel.

The situations above are reason why i spend so much time playing Sword halls of dol guldur T2C: its one of the few fights in the game that for all intents and purposes requires a captain unless you are prepared for a long fight after countless wipes.

Be smart, be OP, Pick a warden.

Quote Originally Posted by Nascephor View Post
    I would say neither.
    If you want a heavy armour class, pick champ. amazing solo ability, great in any group situation. Champs can solo as good as a cappy, if not better, can tank even raids , i have seen a champ tank BFE T2C, the hardest tanking job in the game.
    If you want a die hard full of tricks char, pick warden instead. high morale, capped avoidances, massive self-heals, good dps in single and multi-targets. groups don´t value wardens, but wardens DPS as hunters, tank like guards, interrupt as champs. You will level faster and will help any group a whole lot more than a guard ever could, while having a better playing experience than a captain ever could. After 5y playing a cappy i can tell you, Captains work twice as hard as any other class for half the results. I can remember every single time that i had to squeeze every skill i had to avoid a wipe only to realize at the end of the run that no one in group realized how close we were to doom had i not saved the day.
    I few examples of why being a captain sucks:
    -It was only after i got a First age two handed weapon that i could one shot the dwarfs on Iobars peak last boss. All the other classes can do it using 3rd age weapons.
    -Slayer deeds take twice as long for a cappy to complete.
    -Your key skills will be not be noticed in the middle of the fight, but you will get the blame if the group wipes:

Use Shield of the Dunedain to reduced in 75% the damage upon your friend- he will think that he is avoiding it do to his own abilities...
    Use in Harms way to take upon yourself half the damage done upon the whole fellowship. Same thinking as above, but this time they will also think you are a squishy that is taking lots of damage.
    Use last stand to become immortal for a few seconds. they may not noticed it, thinking you lucky for not falling dead, or they may wipe even with you using last stand and AFTER the wipe, blame you for not using last stand.
    Pop time of need for slashing your own health to squeeze some last minute heal/buff to save the group, only to hear after the wipe that your heals suck and they should get a minstrel.

The situations above are reason why i spend so much time playing Sword halls of dol guldur T2C: its one of the few fights in the game that for all intents and purposes requires a captain unless you are prepared for a long fight after countless wipes.

Be smart, be OP, Pick a warden.
    Warden = impossible to figure out.