We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Captain and grouping ?

Hi I'm a noob and I can't make my mind between making a guardian or a champion. The champion role described on the character creation page seem nice, but is it accurate ?

Poeple do want a captain in their group for the support it bring and they would rather have another DPS class ?

Also I'm a casual player and I've heard the game is mostly solo till level cap. Is the class solo friendly compared to a guard ?

Quote Originally Posted by varlak74 View Post
    Hi I'm a noob and I can't make my mind between making a guardian or a champion. The champion role described on the character creation page seem nice, but is it accurate ?

Poeple do want a captain in their group for the support it bring and they would rather have another DPS class ?

Also I'm a casual player and I've heard the game is mostly solo till level cap. Is the class solo friendly compared to a guard ?
    It's very solo friendly Varl. I can pretty much auto attack my way through 90% of this game's solo content right now. Captain's have solid damage, decent self-healing and good defense. It's a very well rounded class with no real weaknesses.

Far as grouping, unless you are raiding very few instances these days require support. Captains can function in a main-role capacity and do just fine. So you can pretty much take your pick at what you want to do, tank, dps, or heal.

I don't quite remember what the character creation screen says. The guardian's main role is to direct incoming damage onto himself and absorb as much of it as possible. The champion's main role is to deal as much damage to the enemy as possible. The captain's role is support, which involves a bunch of buffs, damage, and healing, shifing those priorities as the needs of the battle dictate.

Most groups want 1 captain per 6 players. For 3-man groups, captains are usually the main healer. In 6-man groups, the captian is usually the support healer/buffer/dps. For 12-man groups, there are usually 2 captains.

But if the content is really easy, they might opt for another dps class. But the captain's buffs increase everyone else's dps, so a group isn't missing out on much total dps if they pick a captain over a dps class.

The captain is not as tough as a guard, so you need to be a little more careful. But most of the time you won't find a lot of challenge on the landscape (although this is not always the case). The captain's main weakness while solo is low kill rate. Doing quest after quest of "kill 10 this, kill 10 that", can get kinda boring. However, everyone likes having a captain with them (more or less), so if you can run into another player doing the same quests, things can go way more quickly. Captains are way more fun in a group, even a group of 2.
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend. ~ Faramir

Undo the U12 class changes. The trait trees were, are, and will always be a bad idea.
    Maedhric 100 Captain, Nunion 93 Champion, Taraviel 85 Minstrel, etc...

And don't forget the captanks..... if you are well geared enough, and can figure out how to generate enough threat, you can tank 3 mans easily, 6 mans are a bit tougher, and only the best of the best can tank raids atm.

As far as main role goes, even though I'm traited red.... I still do a lot of healing, and there are times when my combat rotation goes from more DPS focused to healing focused.
    Maley Oakensage, Captain of Elendilmir

Alas Elendilmir, may you *jingle jangle* forever in the Forgotten West

I have both guard and captain. A good friend of mine who I've grouped with exclusively has a champ.

Leveling them is remarkably similar, as they both have heavy armour, and only one or two AoE skills. The captain is a pet class while leveling typically, so you want to take that into consideration. The guardian has more morale, which is what the captain's pet is for. ;-)

Captains have multiple roles, while guardians are expected to tank. Champions are expected to DPS, and may tank as well (or off tank, as captains also do).

Of the three, champs tend to be a bit squishier leveling, but none of them are overly challenging at all.

Guardians are in demand for grouping all the time as they are considered main tanks. Captains tend to be requested for groups ahead of champions.
    Link to our community LOTRO store google spreadsheet pricelist and conversion rates, please contribute too!: https://goo.gl/wxPqCm

Both in demand. Trying 'em both out and grouping with them will give you a better idea, and will help you find the feel you're seeking. Champion will hold its weight better solo because of all the AoE damage. Champion is also an insanely fast leveler. Guardian on the other hand does have 2-handed weapon use after level 10, so it helps a little; He's definitely lacking in the DPS department. Like I always say though: Even though we all have to solo, and we love to enjoy soloing, none of that is going to matter once you hit end-game. You're going to want to pick the class you have the most fun with "in groups". Group role is most important. It's what you should be turning your focus to. Champion is DPS / Off-tanks for 3mans. Guardian is main tank.

At end game usually groups only want/nee one captain. We are a very supportive class that brings alot to the table with in-combat rezzes, buffs, healin assistance, etc. If you are geared well enough, comfortable with the class and have enough playing experience captains can solo heal 6-man instances at max level. Again like everything else they take practice to do something like that and most groups will still want an actual healing class to go along anyways. You will find captains are pretty much regulated to one per group in raids as our dps is not comparable to other classes and they will take a champ/hunter/ any other dps class over a cappie any day, especially if the group already has a cappy.