We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Player Council

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremi View Post
    Well lucky me I had the pleasure of seeing this post while viewing these forums while not logged in. It amazes me how you constantly attempt to harass me Almagnus even after you are aware I have you on my ignore list. Not only did I not apply for this silly "player council" but if I had been chosen I would have turned it down.

Now kindly stop lying about me.
    You get replied to because:
    A) You give out some really bad advice, and it would be a diservice to the community for it to go unchallenged.
    B) You are out of line to be ripping on our representatives and the Player Council in general, especially when you're so apathetic towards it.
    Last edited by Almagnus1; Apr 29 2013 at 08:52 PM.
    Maley Oakensage, Captain of Elendilmir

Alas Elendilmir, may you *jingle jangle* forever in the Forgotten West

Quote Originally Posted by Almagnus1 View Post
    You get replied to because:
    A) You give out some really bad advice, and it would be a diservice to the community for it to go unchallenged.
    B) You are out of line to be ripping on our representatives and the Player Council in general, especially when you're so apathetic towards it.
    That post you responded to wasn't advice.... it was an opinion about this so-called "player council". I was ripping on the idea, not any representative in particular, so get your facts straight before you talk. We all have our own biases and preferences. The difference is I can admit it, which you apparently can't.

I reported your earlier post as harassment, because that's exactly what it is. I am going to give the moderators a couple of days to do something about it. If they don't, I'm taking you off my ignore list and we can again exchange verbal assaults, because I am through taking your guff. I tried the live and let live strategy with you. It worked with others on here, but it seems you are just spoiling so bad for a fight it's never going to stop with you.

In short - I've had all I'm going to put up with from you spreading lies and picking fights with me on this forum. I tried to play nice. I have tried to refrain from conversing with you. I have tried everything i know of and nothing has worked

So I suggest you just put me on ignore and stop picking fights with me now, else this isn't going to end in a pretty place
    Last edited by Jeremi; Apr 29 2013 at 10:57 PM.

Getting back on track...

We really do need some sort of coconut wielding herald....

Possibly one that has a persistent morale regeneration aura because.... well.... it's just that awesome.

I am looking at the whole of LotRO, in total. I hope to bring that perspective.

As a kinship leader of Strayhold, for more than 6 years, I can tell you that is my focus. Bringing the most fun to the most people together is my goal. That is what I wanted to bring to the council. Nothing smaller than "Best Game Ever" is my goal to help achieve.

As an anecdote to help illustrate my point: aside from listing Blackhawk as my Primary Character as required, my application did not use the word "Captain". It's just not important in the grand scheme. It did use the words "Chickenball" and "Freeze Tag", though.
    I am Blackhawk, Leader of
    S T R A Y H O L D
    Forum
    ~Roster ~ Events
    ~ Member of the 2013 Player Council ~
    ...We were not ready to find Aztaur the Balrog, the Frozen Death, the Ice Demon of Thangorodrim. But Find Him We Did...

Quote Originally Posted by TheStormKing View Post

As a kinship leader of Strayhold, for more than 6 years, I can tell you that is my focus. Bringing the most fun to the most people together is my goal. That is what I wanted to bring to the council. Nothing smaller than "Best Game Ever" is my goal to help achieve.

As an anecdote to help illustrate my point: aside from listing Blackhawk as my Primary Character as required, my application did not use the word "Captain". It's just not important in the grand scheme. It did use the words "Chickenball" and "Freeze Tag", though.
    Get Grifball added and you'll be my hero forever.
    [CENTER][IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v341/tindragon/Base.png[/IMG]
    Steam: Sneakeh Snake[/CENTER]

Storm, I have no reason not to believe you when you say you will try to bring a broad perspective to the council. Again, I fault the idea itself, not the individuals taking part in it. But others may (and probably without even realizing it) use their position to further their own individual goals and the expense of others. It's human nature to a degree, and we all approach things with our own unique form of individuality and biases. That's why I think it's such a bad idea to limit the amount of people participating in the process.

We already have a captain forum where hundreds of different and unique Captains voice their opinions and give valuable feedback to the developers. So in my opinion, this player council is a downgrade to that, and will encourage a smaller realm of ideas just by the simple fact that there are far fewer people involved.

Plus I'm not a big fan of information being filtered through "representatives" either. I would prefer that the developers hear the ideas from the people themselves. And again, this isn't a swipe at you - or anyone else for that matter. My ire is directed at the process itself. I just don't like it at all. It's almost political in nature, and I'm against giving certain players special status when compared to others. I just don't like hierarchies of any kind, and I don't much care for the lobbying that is associated with political processes like this. And yes, I know it's just a video game forum. But it is a forum I occasionally participate in, and a game I spend a lot of time on.

Storm, I have no reason not to believe you when you say you will try to bring a broad perspective to the council. Again, I fault the idea itself, not the individuals taking part in it. But others may (and probably without even realizing it) use their position to further their own individual goals and the expense of others. It's human nature to a degree, and we all approach things with our own unique form of individuality and biases. That's why I think it's such a bad idea to limit the amount of people participating in the process.

We already have a captain forum where hundreds of different and unique Captains voice their opinions and give valuable feedback to the developers. So in my opinion, this player council is a downgrade to that, and will encourage a smaller realm of ideas just by the simple fact that there are far fewer people involved.

Plus I'm not a big fan of information being filtered through "representatives" either. I would prefer that the developers hear the ideas from the people themselves. And again, this isn't a swipe at you - or anyone else for that matter. My ire is directed at the process itself. I just don't like it at all. It's almost political in nature, and I'm against giving certain players special status when compared to others. I just don't like hierarchies of any kind, and I don't much care for the lobbying that is associated with political processes like this. And yes, I know it's just a video game forum. But it is a forum I occasionally participate in, and a game I spend a lot of time on.
    I don't think you are fully comprehending what being on the council will entail. This means a lot of work for these guys...guys who genuinely love the game, like lots of us! To come on the Captain forum and complain is just plain low class. If you want to complain about stuff like that, take it to the official forum thread. Otherwise, these guys want our feedback and support. They are in a tough position! If things go badly they will feel accountable, whether they could do something or not. I'm sure your opinion would be different had you been selected...

Cas
    Viva Lotro!

Quote Originally Posted by Coyote503 View Post
    I don't think you are fully comprehending what being on the council will entail. This means a lot of work for these guys...guys who genuinely love the game, like lots of us! To come on the Captain forum and complain is just plain low class. If you want to complain about stuff like that, take it to the official forum thread. Otherwise, these guys want our feedback and support. They are in a tough position! If things go badly they will feel accountable, whether they could do something or not. I'm sure your opinion would be different had you been selected...

Cas
    This is a forum Coyote, where I come to express my opinions. If reading them bothers you or you think I am of "low class", simply put me on ignore and you won't have to see them. And I'm not trying to be rude here by saying that, just helpful ^^

And no, my opinion would not be any different had I been selected. This "sour grapes" response is nonsense. I neither applied to be on this Player Council nor would I have accepted an invitation to be so. I don't want any special considerations or status other players do not have. All I want is the right to have my ideas considered on an equal basis with everyone else's.

And if you re-read my posts you would see I never attacked anyone personally. It's the process I do not like. I never said anything about them not loving the game, being unaccountable or not having a lot of work to do. You are taking things away from my post that was never said.
    Last edited by Jeremi; Apr 30 2013 at 01:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Coyote503 View Post

Cas
    Let alone that each and every single council member now has a giant target painted on their backs.

I have been very careful only to criticize the process, and not the individuals themselves. No one has a target on their backs as far as I'm concerned.

I have been very careful only to criticize the process, and not the individuals themselves. No one has a target on their backs as far as I'm concerned.
    Will you still see them as friends if Turbine decides to ignore them and give us objectionable content anyway? Or (knowing these forums) will you join the inevitable group that will berate them because they are getting blamed for not preventing something bad from coming down the pipes, when in reality their hands were tied? I truly hope that that situation never arises, but only time will tell on that one.

Also, if you're so adamant about criticizing this process, where is your post history reflecting arguments against the program BEFORE the announcement of the council members? And yes, I skimmed through your post history for for March and April.

Now can we please get back to brainstorming how to get Patsy into the game?
    Last edited by Almagnus1; Apr 30 2013 at 05:24 AM.

I agree to some degree, but I think it can really go both ways. While I think the optimal route would be that the Developers could read all our ideas on their own and implement as they find it best, but there's the probability they miss some posts or ideas from in-game channels. By adding council members to the mix, there's a chance those ideas are picked up and acted upon. I fully expect the developers will still be reading the forums despite this Player Council but I could be wrong of course.

Will you still see them as friends if Turbine decides to ignore them and give us objectionable content anyway? Or (knowing these forums) will you join the inevitable group that will berate them because they are getting blamed for not preventing something bad from coming down the pipes, when in reality their hands were tied? I truly hope that that situation never arises, but only time will tell on that one.
    As for who to blame if this goes badly, it will always be Turbine who's at the end of the line. Even if the Player Council only provides Turbine with purely bad ideas, it is still Turbines responsibility to sort out bad ideas before they are implemented. If Turbine ever points at the Player Council when it comes to blame for bad decisions, I'll know Turbine has reached a new low.

Personally I think the player's council is a PR Stunt. But Cainwen's a cool guy, so good luck to you.
    105 (Captain, Champion)

As regards the Council being an excuse to ignore the various forums... Sapience has been pretty clear about stating, in public, that the Council is meant to function as a supplement to the existing forms of player feedback -- which includes the Suggestions forum and various class-specific forums --, not a replacement for them.
    Cainwen Ciaphas, Captain of Crickhollow, HERO OF MIDDLE EARTH!!!
    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! My opinions are my own!

Quote Originally Posted by Elrantiri View Post
    I agree to some degree, but I think it can really go both ways. While I think the optimal route would be that the Developers could read all our ideas on their own and implement as they find it best, but there's the probability they miss some posts or ideas from in-game channels. By adding council members to the mix, there's a chance those ideas are picked up and acted upon. I fully expect the developers will still be reading the forums despite this Player Council but I could be wrong of course.
    I understand what you are saying, but I just don't see the need for it. Rock came onto the forums, asked for feedback - and got plenty of it. Everyone who wanted to participate was able to communicate directly with the developer. He was treated respectfully in the process too, and at most it's maybe an hour's worth of reading. So I just prefer this approach, and see no need for a change or some new addition to how developers gather information, especially if it leaves a lot of people out of the process.

And I hope you're right that they will still be active in reading and participating in the forums. But I suspect this Player Council thing will receive a lot of their attention. And that's attention I feel could be better spent participating in forums like this one, where all players have access and the ability the communicate directly and unfiltered with the developers themselves. Time will tell, but I hope you're right.
    Last edited by Jeremi; Apr 30 2013 at 09:55 PM.

Also, if you're so adamant about criticizing this process, where is your post history reflecting arguments against the program BEFORE the announcement of the council members? And yes, I skimmed through your post history for for March and April.

Now can we please get back to brainstorming how to get Patsy into the game?
    Almagnus, I don't know who patsy is.

And I didn't criticize it before-hand because I didn't know much about it. Just a vague reference I heard about from time to time. Now that I've become more familiar with the details and consequences of it, I have subsequently become more critical of it.

And no, I won't scapegoat anyone on this council if Turbine gives us &&&&&& content. I will criticize Turbine and the developers who crafted it, because that's where the blame would be.

Lest anyone think this forum is unanimous, I am opposed to coconut wielding heralds.

And I agree with Jeremi. This looks like a PR stunt by Turbine to exploit some of Lotro's most enthusiastic players to deflect attention away from management's questionable game design decisions. But the council is completely powerless, and cannot be held responsible for anything.

The only conceivable benefit I can see from this would be an outside perspective capable of cutting through Turbine group think before changes become irreversible. It seems that when bad ideas hit Bullroarer, it is already too late. So having a group of ostensibly disinterested players in an NDA to screen ideas could possibly help. But Turbine might just spam them with bad ideas and keep the least offensive. For example, I could imagine the hobbit present slot machine being rejected by the player council, (which can reach a compromise to allow a hobbit present blackjack table).

Congratulations to our representatives. Good luck.
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend. ~ Faramir

Undo the U12 class changes. The trait trees were, are, and will always be a bad idea.
    Maedhric 100 Captain, Nunion 93 Champion, Taraviel 85 Minstrel, etc...

Almagnus, I don't know who patsy is.
    Go watch "Monty Python and the Holy Grail"

Considering how rarely (bordering on never) some devs posted in their assigned class halls, including this one, trying something new for pointed, intelligent feedback isn't a ploy, it's an excellent way to get great feedback from their most dedicated players.

It wasn't long ago that the Captain forums were a barren wasteland of zero Dev comments. Did you all really forget that time?! Other class forums are the same, or much, much worse in that regard... Many other sections of this board, from Housing, to PvMP, to Questing, to Community site suggestions, have gone months (even years!) without ANY comment.

So, this is a good thing. They are trying something new, and Turbine is full of exceptionally intelligent, bright, dedicated people who only want the game to grow. You still have all of your avenues for getting your voice heard. There is just another avenue available now. I'm quite positive about the endeavor.

Though as I said, Captains... Not really my first concern, personally. We're fine.
    I am Blackhawk, Leader of
    S T R A Y H O L D
    Forum
    ~Roster ~ Events
    ~ Member of the 2013 Player Council ~
    ...We were not ready to find Aztaur the Balrog, the Frozen Death, the Ice Demon of Thangorodrim. But Find Him We Did...

Considering how rarely (bordering on never) some devs posted in their assigned class halls, including this one, trying something new for pointed, intelligent feedback isn't a ploy, it's an excellent way to get great feedback from their most dedicated players.

It wasn't long ago that the Captain forums were a barren wasteland of zero Dev comments. Did you all really forget that time?! Other class forums are the same, or much, much worse in that regard... Many other sections of this board, from Housing, to PvMP, to Questing, to Community site suggestions, have gone months (even years!) without ANY comment.

So, this is a good thing. They are trying something new, and Turbine is full of exceptionally intelligent, bright, dedicated people who only want the game to grow. You still have all of your avenues for getting your voice heard. There is just another avenue available now. I'm quite positive about the endeavor.

Though as I said, Captains... Not really my first concern, personally. We're fine.
    I was under the impression that Turbine representatives read the forums already, even though they don't respond very often (mainly to avoid giving players erroneous impressions).

Indeed, dev feedback to the players can hardly get any worse than it is now. But now they can give feedback to a group of players under an NDA. I'm sure they will be more able to speak their minds without fear of being taken out of context and starting some stupid internet firestorm. Will the rest of us get to hear what's on the developers' minds?

My fear is that the players on the council will become a focus of player ire. Secrets don't engender trust.

Remember when Sapience said that Apparel Dummies were a player suggestion? Next time Turbine implements something equally offensive, it will be with the imprimatur of the Player Council, and you won't be allowed to rebut it.
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend. ~ Faramir

Undo the U12 class changes. The trait trees were, are, and will always be a bad idea.
    Maedhric 100 Captain, Nunion 93 Champion, Taraviel 85 Minstrel, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by dietlbomb View Post
    Lest anyone think this forum is unanimous, I am opposed to coconut wielding heralds.

And I agree with Jeremi. This looks like a PR stunt by Turbine to exploit some of Lotro's most enthusiastic players to deflect attention away from management's questionable game design decisions. But the council is completely powerless, and cannot be held responsible for anything.

The only conceivable benefit I can see from this would be an outside perspective capable of cutting through Turbine group think before changes become irreversible. It seems that when bad ideas hit Bullroarer, it is already too late. So having a group of ostensibly disinterested players in an NDA to screen ideas could possibly help. But Turbine might just spam them with bad ideas and keep the least offensive. For example, I could imagine the hobbit present slot machine being rejected by the player council, (which can reach a compromise to allow a hobbit present blackjack table).

Congratulations to our representatives. Good luck.
    This is my general feeling about the council as well. A token and honestly suspicious gesture of good will (at this point in the game), not something that will really get anywhere--let's face it, Turbine doesn't listen to Bullroarer feedback as much as they should, and that's with many more testers giving actual numbers and bug reports.

I highly doubt there will be design input of any importance. I'm sure, as some others are, that the talent tree mechanics are already developed and past alpha testing stages with only tweaks in certain gated class skills and other numerical minutiae waiting for that Bullroarer run, which won't be all that useful either. (If you can't tell, my faith in WB-Turbine is definitely at an all-time low; I couldn't even be bothered to log in for the anniversary festival, and I normally enjoy festivals. The last misstep with Fate was just plain stupid.)

The only way I will stay with LotRO for even the epic story at this point is if my captain main--I don't play alts much at all--remains flexible for hybrid play, the way the captain class was originally envisioned by the original Turbine devs, who are no longer around. If I can't viably snap-heal and snap-tank for small group content at the same time or within seconds, the coming class revamps and trees are completely useless to me. Sadpanda.
    [url="https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?506048-Talent-trees-class-roles-and-player-choice"]Talent trees, class roles, and player choice[/url]
    Crafting crit chance analysis: [URL="https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?410893-Sample-size-THREE-THOUSAND"]3000 sample size[/URL], [URL="https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?420198-Sample-size-ONE-THOUSAND"]1000 sample size[/URL]

The other thing to keep in mind, how much of the playerbase actually uses the forums?

Is what they see in the forums really representative of the thoughts of the playerbase at large?

That is one thing the Council helps with - because it gives them better feedback from players that may not visit the forums.

And honestly, I would much rather them take the risk and go with this program than not do anything at all. I grow tired of seeing the same issues persist (like the legacy situation), that continue to pigeon hole the class as buffer and healers when our traits indicate that we are capable of so much more.

It really feels like there's been too many cooks in the kitchen, and now the devs need help sorting out what works and what doesn't so LotRO can continue on for another six years. I know I'm not the only one that misses the activity that was the captain forums of many years past, especially when it was at it's zenith back at SoM and F2P launch - we've lost so many over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by Trilwych View Post
    This is my general feeling about the council as well. A token and honestly suspicious gesture of good will (at this point in the game), not something that will really get anywhere--let's face it, Turbine doesn't listen to Bullroarer feedback as much as they should, and that's with many more testers giving actual numbers and bug reports.
    I hope the council can at least steer the ship (i.e. a certain feature) into the right direction as they will get involved at a so much earlier stage than Bullroarer testers.

I agree that Bullroarer bug reports should be taken more seriously but we can safely assume that once a build hits Bullroarer not that much can be changed anymore.

Bugs reported will be taken care of and adjusted later on (Hello! fate changes).

The fate problems should have been caught in Palantir, the council would not be able to catch these. This is also why I think that hardcore raiders/ pvmpers should hit Palantir as often as possible to be able to actually test things. This is where they can see how the mechanics work if anything is amiss.

The council should be a much more high level feedback group and if it is made up with a nice mix of players that are able to listen and discuss and have an open mind for these things then there can be something positive out of it.

As for captains: Still working on mine to get to cap but i think they are in a pretty good shape now.
    But with the revamps coming for HD I fear for every class.

I understand what you are saying, but I just don't see the need for it. Rock came onto the forums, asked for feedback - and got plenty of it. Everyone who wanted to participate was able to communicate directly with the developer. He was treated respectfully in the process too, and at most it's maybe an hour's worth of reading. So I just prefer this approach, and see no need for a change or some new addition to how developers gather information, especially if it leaves a lot of people out of the process.
    Rock does that, but as far as I can tell he's quite a lot more openly towards the community than other devs seem to be. Also, only so many are actually using the forums, the Player Council has potential to reach those that do not use the forums and only bring ideas in kinships, glff and/or other in-game channels.

And I hope you're right that they will still be active in reading and participating in the forums. But I suspect this Player Council thing will receive a lot of their attention. And that's attention I feel could be better spent participating in forums like this one, where all players have access and the ability the communicate directly and unfiltered with the developers themselves. Time will tell, but I hope you're right.
    Furtims post was somewhat reassuring, but we can only wait and see.

Gratz Furtim. You were one of the many great people I nominated. Congratz.

Sidenote: I wish they would have also posted the members via their forum names as available. Thats how most of us know each other.
    Last edited by Armitas; May 01 2013 at 11:37 AM.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/022040000000c7eb3/01003/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    [CENTER]
    [/CENTER]

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast