We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

War Goats in Helm's Deep

Our giant goat mounts should be usable as a war "steeds" in the Helm's Deep expansion. We can ride giant goats everywhere in this game, so it makes perfect sense to have giant war goats as well. Especially for dwarves who should be more comfortable with giant war goats than the ludicrous war ponies, given the abundance of fearless giant domesticated goats in Moria and the high esteem they have for the giant goat mounts that are available for purchase in Thorin's Hall. But they should also be available to all other races since there are no race restrictions when it comes to the use of giant goat mounts.

While Dwarf champ would love a war goat, this has been brought up before. I don't expect to see them anytime soon. Or at all. Makes Glaam sad, but.............

Having war-goats in LOTRO would be like putting goat mounts on the Bayeux Tapestry.

Quote Originally Posted by oldbadgerbrock View Post
    Having war-goats in LOTRO would be like putting goat mounts on the Bayeux Tapestry.
    And mounted combat for Dwarves and Hobbits isn't?

LOL True, it's not exactly Lore............ but Glaam has wanted to ride one of those Druggavar into combat ever since he saw one. That would be awesome!

No, JUST NO!

We had this discussion before RoR and thankfully Turbine never integrated this atrocity. I hope they never do.

What? Somewhere else to look for the Goat Lords of Rohan?

I thought we killed that idea once and for all about this time last year.

+1, I'd love to have a war-goat option... and if you don't like the idea: don't get one.

Quote Originally Posted by AKAGooF View Post
    +1, I'd love to have a war-goat option... and if you don't like the idea: don't get one.
    I won't and I don't even want to *see* one, and that would be outside of my control.

Goats were a mistake from their very first appearance. Turbine should have used mules in Moria.

Quote Originally Posted by Palentian View Post
    LOL True, it's not exactly Lore............ but Glaam has wanted to ride one of those Druggavar into combat ever since he saw one. That would be awesome!
    That's like the suggestion somebody posted a while back about Lore-masters having wolf pets that they could ride.

Wolves -- even those that are just animals, not Wargs -- are among the bad guys. The Wargs play for Team Sauron; the wolves, simple beasts, just want to kill and eat you. Neither one is a suitable mount for the Free People, not even little Hobbits whom a big wolf *might* be able to carry, but not into battle. Druggavar are likewise among the bad guys. I don't know if they have as much intelligence as Wargs, but they don't act like it. There's a place in Enedwaith where you can just stand and pot them as fast as they respawn, and they keep respawning. Not smart enough.

What Turbine should have done in Moria, but it's too late now, was to provide mules, not goats. Goats can be domesticated to the extent of living in a paddock and being milked, but not ridden on.

/sigh
    Eruanne - Shards of Narsil-1 - Elendilmir -> Arkenstone

Quote Originally Posted by oldbadgerbrock View Post

That statement is akin to telling Disney that having Gummy Bears drink gummiberry juice would be like putting a bear drinking kool-aid on the cover of National Geographic.

Quote Originally Posted by whheydt View Post
    I thought we killed that idea once and for all about this time last year.

Ideas, and especially superb ideas such as this, can not be killed by "we"!

I think all the players opposed to the logical addition of giant war goats just need to face the reality that giant goat mounts exist in Turbine's version of Middle Earth along with the usual ponies & horses, and that some players find these giant goats preferable to ponies & horses.

Once they accomplish this, then it won't be a stretch for them to see that having giant war goats should be a option. I will rest my case here and respectfully request that whhyedt and other players opposed to the logical addition of giant war goats either delete their posts or edit them to say "OP, I agree 100% -- it would make perfect sense to have giant war goats in the game!" in order to keep this thread focused on making sure we get our giant war goats and free from illogical outbursts.

Edit: and if anyone really must shout down an idea, put your focus on the hobbit present slot machine thing. Don't shout down logical ideas such a this one.

Edit 2: removed use of "nay-sayers"
    Last edited by Rasdun; Apr 29 2013 at 04:08 PM.

War goats should only be allowed if they are flying war goats. If they aren't going to fly, they'll just look ridiculous.
    Originally Posted by Damian6988
    That is not unlike drinking a pot of coffee and taking a Valium.
    "I want to stay up and get more work done, but I don't want to remember any of it."

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Rainith View Post
    War goats should only be allowed if they are flying war goats. If they aren't going to fly, they'll just look ridiculous.
    If the giant goat mounts that currently exist in game could fly then I'd be on board with this idea 100%. But since they don't fly, I'd prefer that when they implement the giant war goats with the Helm's Deep expansion, that they don't fly. Either that or they'd have to go back and make the war ponies and war horses flying as well, and that'd probably take too many developer resources away from projects such as the hobbit present slot machine...

Quote Originally Posted by Rasdun View Post
    I think all the nay-sayers just need to face the reality that giant goat mounts exist in Turbine's version of Middle Earth along with the usual ponies & horses, and that some players find these giant goats preferable to ponies & horses.

Once they accomplish this, then it won't be a stretch for them to see that having giant war goats should be a option. I will rest my case here and respectfully request that whhyedt and other nay-sayers either delete their posts or edit them to say "OP, I agree 100% -- it would make perfect sense to have giant war goats in the game!" in order to keep this thread focused on making sure we get our giant war goats and free from illogical outbursts.

Edit: and if anyone really must shout down an idea, put your focus on the hobbit present slot machine thing. Don't shout down logical ideas such a this one.
    I will defend your right to express your opinion, but I preserve my right to express my own. Riding goats were a stupid mistake on Turbine's part. Having made one stupid mistake doesn't justify extending it to an even more stupid mistake.

You want infinitely plastic and variable "lore"? WoW is that way--->

That statement is akin to telling Disney that having Gummy Bears drink gummiberry juice would be like putting a bear drinking kool-aid on the cover of National Geographic.

Ideas, and especially superb ideas such as this, can not be killed by "we"!

I think all the nay-sayers just need to face the reality that giant goat mounts exist in Turbine's version of Middle Earth along with the usual ponies & horses, and that some players find these giant goats preferable to ponies & horses.

Once they accomplish this, then it won't be a stretch for them to see that having giant war goats should be a option. I will rest my case here and respectfully request that whhyedt and other nay-sayers either delete their posts or edit them to say "OP, I agree 100% -- it would make perfect sense to have giant war goats in the game!" in order to keep this thread focused on making sure we get our giant war goats and free from illogical outbursts.

It's NOT a superb idea though, I'm not trying to stifle your opinion but goats were introduced for ONE reason; As a replacement for horses during Mines of Moria. Ok, so they're usable outside also.

They're a joke! It's not creative, or clever. It's terrible. Turbine made the decision not to include them in RoR why would they add them in now? It's one of the most sensible ideas they've ever made.

You want illogical? How about your post about editing our posts, talking about shouting down ideas.

You need to face facts that regardless of how many people like them, they won't be added into Mounted Combat.

Yes, they exist in Middle-Earth for use in the mines. Lore is an important issue for a lot of people, there's no need to add insult to injury by allowing them to be used in MC.

Don't shout down logical ideas such a this one.
    It's not logical. To my knowledge (I'm not a lore-junkie), the warsteeds are based off the Mearas, an extraordinary race/breed of horse:

The Mearas were a breed of wild horses in the north of Middle-earth. The Mearas were one of the fastest breed of horses of Middle-earth. Their mortality is equal to Men and their intelligence and strength are extraordinary.
    So making goats warsteeds would be a direct violation of the lore.
    [center][font=andalus][size=2]akara / [/size][size=1]warg[/size][IMG]http://i59.tinypic.com/16iyt5f.jpg[/IMG][size=2]blays /[/size][size=1] hunter[/size]
    meneldor[/center][/font]

Quote Originally Posted by Tailborn View Post
    but goats were introduced for ONE reason; As a replacement for horses during Mines of Moria. Ok, so they're usable outside also.

I think you guys are slowly coming around to seeing the logic of giant war goats and will eventually get on board with this. Everyone now is admitting that giant goat mounts are available and usable everywhere in the game. That is a key fact here. Whether you like it or not, you are playing in a world where giant goat mounts exist and are usable by any character everywhere just like ponies and horse (well, they are better than ponies and horses because giant goats are not frightened so easily and can navigate through Moria with ease). It only makes sense that they could also be used as giant war goats.

Just because they were created with Moria, doesn't mean that is their sole purpose. Otherwise, you wouldn't be able to use them elsewhere or get one before you even step inside Moria.

Rune-keepers were created with Moria as well, and I am sure the players opposed to the logical addition of giant war goats would rather that they be confined to Moria. But thankfully for those who like this class, rune-keeper development did not end with Moria. Same should be true of giant goats.

Now folks, just because it makes sense to have giant war goats doesn't mean you'd have to get one. This is just to rightly give those of us who like the giant goat mounts an OPTION to use them as giant war goats. Hope you all can eventually understand this and let this idea shine so that Turbine will take notice and get the giant war goats ready in time for Helm's Deep.

Edit: removed use of "nay-sayer"
    Last edited by Rasdun; Apr 29 2013 at 04:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by astalyn View Post
    It's not logical. To my knowledge (I'm not a lore-junkie), the warsteeds are based off the Mearas, an extraordinary race/breed of horse:

Funny how people keep ignoring posts that stated that there are ponies , war ponies for the dwarfs and hobbits, I find it hard to believe that they are in the same league as Mearas. Also, for those of you who keep using the lore as an excuse, then when helm's deep releases, please restrain yourself from going there, here is a cold hard truth, You, yes, You, were not there. ( unless you are man who is from Rohan)
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/032020000004c9523/01007/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Especially for dwarves who should be more comfortable with giant war goats than the ludicrous war ponies,
    I do suspect the OP is pulling several peoples' legs on this thread but it gave me a smile - especially the assertion that giant war GOATS are perfectly fine, whereas ponies are just completely ludicrous.

This thread is like the old one that started up on the Codemaster's LOTRO forum in the early days where one player suggested having a flying citadel inhabited by a general who could use some sort of power crystal to randomly kill other players, while the rest of the player base would strive to invade the flying citadel to depose the general and thereby take his place. Understandably, the reaction of other players was less than enthusiastic, but the OP couldn't seem to understand why his suggestion was being met with such derision and a very heated (and highly amusing) discussion ensued.

And which part of the Lore are Hobbyhorses in?

Quote Originally Posted by whheydt View Post
    I will defend your right to express your opinion, but I preserve my right to express my own. Riding goats were a stupid mistake on Turbine's part. Having made one stupid mistake doesn't justify extending it to an even more stupid mistake.

You want infinitely plastic and variable "lore"? WoW is that way--->
    I don't think that is a fair statement -- I do not want "infinitely plastic and variable lore". I am expecting some degree consistency in the game world and that includes giant war goats. While it is clear that you don't like the goats, I think you'd agree that since they are in the game with equal (or greater) status as that of ponies and horses, it is a deviation from the Turbine-embellished "lore" to disallow giant war goats, but allow the use of war ponies and horsies.

While I personally don't like a lot of things, I recognize that other people like them and I support having them as an option for that reason. I hope you & other players can do the same here with regard to the logical addition of giant war goats.

It's not logical. To my knowledge (I'm not a lore-junkie), the warsteeds are based off the Mearas, an extraordinary race/breed of horse [...]
    I am not sure how Turbine reconciles the giant goat mounts with Tolkien lore. I don't think that they are based on anything except for Turbines imagination. Nonetheless, I and other players find them to be wonderfully unique mounts and are glad to have another option besides the boring ponies and horses. Again, to see the logic of giant war goatss, you just need to recognize the existence of giant goat mounts in the game as a first step. We all, I think, can recognize that Turbine has embellished the lore quite a bit throughout the game. The addition of giant war goats with Helm's Deep will be a consistent and logical extension of an existing Turbine embellishment.

For my part, I do see clearly now that some people just flat out hate the goats, so all I can ask is that those players at least allow for this option in order to preserve game world consistency and provide an enjoyable option for players who currently enjoy the existing giant goat mounts. No one is compelled to use the existing giant goat mounts, nor should they be compelled to use the giant war goats. So set aside your fears.

Quote Originally Posted by Abersoch_EU View Post
    it gave me a smile - especially the assertion that giant war GOATS are perfectly fine, whereas ponies are just completely ludicrous.
    I was definitely letting my pro-goat, anti-pony bias show there, but that does not detract from the fact that the giant war goats are a logical and consistent addition to existing lore, nor the fact that it'll be an option enjoyed by myself and other players.

I think you guys are slowly coming around to seeing the logic of giant war goats and will eventually get on board with this.
    You're either pulling everyones legs or..."denial" is not just a river in Egypt.

Quote Originally Posted by wulu View Post
    Also, for those of you who keep using the lore as an excuse, then when helm's deep releases, please restrain yourself from going there, here is a cold hard truth, You, yes, You, were not there. ( unless you are man who is from Rohan)
    I agree with you, and--if my reading of the HD press release is correct--Turbine has found a way around the problem using the mechanic by which players create creep characters. Go read the release again and think of the parallel with "at level 10...create a creep...to fight in the Ettenmoors."

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast