We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Thread: Nud-Melek music

Nud-Melek music

While doing the Nud-Melek revamped quest chain recently, I wondered if anyone knew the answers to the following questions. There is a piece of music in that area that has some associated lyrics; one of the words sung sounds like "Sauron". Which race is singing and in what language? What is the English translation?

The only Nud-melek music with lyrics I can think of is the one that uses the lines written on the One Ring in the Black Speech - "Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul" - sung/chanted in a very slow, dark, gothic-sounding chorus. The English translation is, of course, "One ring to rule them all, one ring to find them, one ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them." At a guess it's Dwarves singing, but that's based on nothing more than the fact that it's in Moria and that it sounds similar to the music with Dwarven lyrics ("Baruk Khazâd ai-mênu") which you hear in Dourhand camps.

If that's not the piece of music you mean, then I'm afraid I'm stumped!

Considering it's Black Speech, would Dwarves use it, even if they knew it?
    It was, after all, the language the Dark Lords devised for their 'own people'...orcs, goblins, trolls, et al.
    If the voices singing in Nud-Melek (one of my favourite locations in all the game, btw) were only those low bass/baritone, I'd be willing to believe it's meant to represent the orc population of Moria. But cutting in are these high, 'elvish' voices... who nevertheless use the same Black Speech phrases.

It's lovely, and awesome, even though it doesn't make sense unless you take it to represent the area...

Yes it's the ring inscription in Black Speech. I agree it's a bit incongruous with Nud Melek, but it is IMHO the best peice of music in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Daeross View Post
    Considering it's Black Speech, would Dwarves use it, even if they knew it?
    It was, after all, the language the Dark Lords devised for their 'own people'...orcs, goblins, trolls, et al.
    If the voices singing in Nud-Melek (one of my favourite locations in all the game, btw) were only those low bass/baritone, I'd be willing to believe it's meant to represent the orc population of Moria. But cutting in are these high, 'elvish' voices... who nevertheless use the same Black Speech phrases.
    Aye, I realised the incongruity of Dwarves singing in the Black Speech right after I made my post! You may be right that it's meant to be the Orcs - perhaps the smaller goblins are responsible for the higher voices? Although it's hard to imagine Orcs singing at all; the only reference to an Orc song I can think of - the "snap, trap" bit when Bilbo and the Dwarves are captured in the Misty Mountains - describes it as a "croak". It must be representational rather than literal. Or perhaps we're over-thinking it and it's just that someone in the music department decided it'd make a great piece of music without considering the lore :P

Quote Originally Posted by StrideColossus View Post
    Yes it's the ring inscription in Black Speech. I agree it's a bit incongruous with Nud Melek, but it is IMHO the best peice of music in the game.
    I love that piece. It's awesome.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
    [I][FONT=comic sans ms][COLOR=#ffff00]Continuing the never ending battle to keep Lobelia Sackville-Baggins in check[/COLOR][/FONT][/I]

EVERYTHING sings in Middle-earth eventually, even orcs. It's how the world is made... and its notable absence is one of the few places where the game really falls down, lore-wise.

-The Gneech
    [I]Premium content since 2010.[/I]
    [url=http://www.valarguild.org]Valar Guild: Lore Monkeys and Proud of It[/url]
    [url=http://my.lotro.com/thegneech/][charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a0000001149ed/01005/signature.png]Honorary Shirriff Maedhroc Thornhollow[/charsig][/url]
    [url=http://www.gneech.com]Gneech.com[/url] - My writing, comics, and art.