We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

building up my captain

Hi all,

I am fairly new, or actually, very new to the captain.
    Until now I quite like it, currently lv 45 and getting my LIs

now I keep changing my traits and virtues.
    I have read some posts but most are about raid builds.

I barely do any raids or not at all atm, I mostly solo PvE.

I do like DPS but I also want a bit of survival in it.

virtues:
    zeal, tolerance, innocence, fidelty, honour.

traits:
    Loyalty, renewed voice, expert attacks, turn of the tide, defiance, I am thinking of getting 'now for wrath' and 'relentless optimism'.

is this any good for solo PvE or is this more raid orientated?, I am kind confused as of what to use.

thanks in advance.

For your virtues, those are great for raiding but you can probably ditch a couple for solo play... most of those virtues are chosen for the tac mitigation, which isn't too much of a worry as you're leveling. Go for phys mit, might, and possibly fate or vit related virtues.

For class traits, I'm not a huge fan of Defiance. It makes a 15m cooldown skill last 25s instead of 15 and gives a minor heal. Very rarely did I have to worry about Last Stand when leveling, and even rarer still was the time 25s would have helped more than 15s.

Four reds is definitely what you wanna go with right now. That'll bump up to five when you get the capstone, which should be around 58. NfW and Relentless Optimism are probably the best two blue traits to have, though for soloing you may not need blues. I'd definitely recommend NfW at least, as I know I had big power problems when I was leveling until I got that.
    [CENTER][IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v341/tindragon/Base.png[/IMG]
    Steam: Sneakeh Snake[/CENTER]

For the class traits, I'd swap out Defiance for Now for Wrath (and do not unslot that trait until we get revamped). Relentless Optimism is a good second blue, and one of the best overall healing improving traits we have.

I would definitely work in Battle-master for your class traits - possibly slotting it instead of Turn of the Tide or Loyalty. While Turn of the Tide is a good trait, Battle-master, Adherent of Elendil, Renewed Voice, and Expert Attacks are better. Both of the herald traits, on the other hand, are ok for now, but will get progressively worse as you get closer to 2k might - the heralds don't scale as well as our physical mastery will, and will be left in the dust as you level. This is why many captains level with a banner - I still use a herald more out of habit than anything else.
    Maley Oakensage, Captain of Elendilmir

Alas Elendilmir, may you *jingle jangle* forever in the Forgotten West

Quote Originally Posted by leyna012 View Post
    Hi all,

I am fairly new, or actually, very new to the captain.
    Until now I quite like it, currently lv 45 and getting my LIs

now I keep changing my traits and virtues.
    I have read some posts but most are about raid builds.

I barely do any raids or not at all atm, I mostly solo PvE.

I do like DPS but I also want a bit of survival in it.

virtues:
    zeal, tolerance, innocence, fidelty, honour.

traits:
    Loyalty, renewed voice, expert attacks, turn of the tide, defiance, I am thinking of getting 'now for wrath' and 'relentless optimism'.

is this any good for solo PvE or is this more raid orientated?, I am kind confused as of what to use.

thanks in advance.
    Pretty much echo what Tin said in regards to defiance. When soloing, to be honest revealing mark and auto attack is about all the survival you will need for 90% of this game's solo content. It really is that simple.

If you are interested in creating an effective survival solo build though for group content, I recommend a heavier focus on avoidance stats, like Block, Parry and evade. You may also want to pick up the trait that gives you access to the Muster Courage self-heal along with the legacy for it. I think it's called Strength from Within or something like that. I also recommend getting the legacy that increases your max targets for Pressing Attack. This will help you land a critical when you are out-numbered and let you fire off more Rally Cries to help keep yourself alive. Mitigation and critical defense will help some too, but I think those were mentioned.

I've got 1 more question.

what should I put on my LIs?

For now, just toss on T1 relics. You'll be going through LIs pretty quickly, so T1 relics will allow to a nice boost without you losing anything important when you switch LIs.
    [CENTER][IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v341/tindragon/Base.png[/IMG]
    Steam: Sneakeh Snake[/CENTER]