We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Which classes for Explorer and Yeoman?

You were all so helpful when I asked about choosing guilds on my current characters that I'm back again with another question. I have five characters, and each belongs to a different crafting guild. At this point the only guilds I'm missing are Tailor and Cook, so I plan to make two more characters, an Explorer and a Yeoman for that purpose.

I'm pretty new to LotRO, just started in December, and I haven't played all the classes either--I haven't yet played a Minstrel, Warden, Lore-Keeper or Captain. Since I do want to try all the classes eventually, what are your recommendations on matching a class to a vocation? I know that there's nothing preventing me from creating any class/vocation combination, but I'd be interested in hearing about combinations that experienced players think go together particularly well, either conceptually or practically.

TIA!

Well, from that list, my suggestion would be that a Warden would make a good Explorer. You can craft your own armour and as you level up, the Warden travel ports would be very useful for porting all over the place, collecting different mats in different parts of Middle Earth to feed to your other crafters.

As far as a Yeoman - really anything would work for that; all classes need cooked food, and there is nothing, IMHO, which would make any one of those classes better or worse for farming and cooking. I'd say with that one, go with what you like.
    Galadhloth, Hunter 100, Glirithil, Mini 100, Calanor, LM 100, plus lots and lots of alts
    Watchers of Elendil ~ Landroval ~ Crickhollow ~ Tarciryan Knights
    ~~~~ Imladris in the Forgotten West ~~~~

I would agree with Warden for Explorer, for now at least. The biggest reason I say that is Forced March. You have the fastest consistent unmounted speed of any class which will allow you to gather from node to node faster. (Hunter is slower, especially pre-LIs, and all other classes' speed boosts are temporary in nature, like Make Haste or Sprint) Once they allow you to gather nodes from your steed in all areas of Middle Earth, that'll be less important.

As crafting facilities stand right now, I think the easiest place to level up Cooking is in the Shire, so if you plan to make any of your toons a hobbit, that might make a good cook. This may also hold true for race of Man and Elves once all crafting facilities in the world are turned to Superior ones, though you'll still have to travel to the Shire at least twice, once for cooking and once for farming. Thorin's Hall's setup for food crafting appears to suck, but I may be missing something (but if I'm not, dwarf is probably a bad choice).
    [CENTER][IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v341/tindragon/Base.png[/IMG]
    Steam: Sneakeh Snake[/CENTER]

honestly any class goes fine with any craft. I chose mine based on complimenting my other crafters and what felt right for the character, not so much by class. that said, there is very little interdependence among crafting professions compared to what there used to be. hunters and wardens used to be great gatherer classes (and so would have been ideal explorers) because of their out-of-combat run speed buffs, especially in out-leveled zones, but that's no longer really a consideration since you can gather while mounted now (ETA: a previous poster noted that the warden ports would still give you quicker access to whatever zone you want to gather in, something I hadn't thought of, so that is certainly still a nice perk)

as far as what each class can use from the crafts in the explorer/yeoman sets, obviously any toon can use food. so anything for yeoman. for explorer, if you don't plan on using crafted armor, then captain is a good choice as he could make his own banner and armaments. if you do plan on using crafted armor, then any of the other 3 would benefit from being able to make their own. (I assume by lore-keeper you mean lore-master and not rune-keeper, but if I'm incorrect, a tailor also makes legendary rune-keeper satchels. that is the only legendary item either profession makes for any of the listed classes)

one other thing to consider is if it is not a character/class you plan on leveling, or leveling early compared to your other toons, the gathering aspects of the explorer would be restricted to lower-level areas. conversely, if the class you make a yeoman is one you end up leveling relatively early, you won't be able to gather mats with it (my warden main is a yeoman, and it is a minor disadvantage not being able to gather any mats on my first toon through a new level band, but not enough of one that I have regrets sufficient to change vocations, or to consider leveling another class first)

if it is of interest, my toons and their crafting vocations, in the order I started playing the toons:

Minstrel - Historian (Weaponsmith Guild)
    Burglar - Tinker (Jeweller Guild)
    Captain - Explorer (Tailor Guild)
    Warden - Yeoman (Cook Guild)
    Champion - Armourer (Metalsmith Guild)
    Rune-keeper - Historian (Scholar Guild)
    Lore-master - Woodsman (Woodworker Guild)

the first 5 are level-capped, the other 2 in the 50s. the first 3 were leveled before Moria and the introduction of crafting guilds.
    Last edited by tomiathon; Apr 25 2013 at 07:12 PM.

Thanks for all the great information, everyone! A couple of preliminaries: yes, I meant Lore-master. I have an RK already, (an Historian like yours, tomiathon) and LM is one of the classes I'm most interested in trying out.

Also, you can gather from horseback?!? Say what? When did that happen? I was hitting ore nodes yesterday with my Tinker, and I thought for sure I was still getting the "Not usable mounted" message.

A question about Wardens: I know they use a javelin for ranged fighting, do they get it fairly early? One conclusion I've come to from my current alts is that a ranged fighter like a Hunter is a lot faster for gathering hides than a melee fighter--not having to run down every critter is a huge help. And as it turns out, the Warden class also really appeals to me, so that's a welcome suggestion.

I'm not too worried about these new characters being lower level, as it is I have every profession covered already by a character that's at least to Expert level. And these two should be pretty easy to level, craft-wise, since I'll be focusing on the craft that they can gather for themselves. Thanks again to you all!

Quote Originally Posted by Finduilas88 View Post
    Also, you can gather from horseback?!? Say what? When did that happen? I was hitting ore nodes yesterday with my Tinker, and I thought for sure I was still getting the "Not usable mounted" message.
    It's a Rohan only thing, and it may be warsteed only. Presumably they'll spread it to the rest of Middle Earth, but who knows, maybe they won't.

A question about Wardens: I know they use a javelin for ranged fighting, do they get it fairly early? One conclusion I've come to from my current alts is that a ranged fighter like a Hunter is a lot faster for gathering hides than a melee fighter--not having to run down every critter is a huge help. And as it turns out, the Warden class also really appeals to me, so that's a welcome suggestion.
    I think around level 30 you get Assailment stance, which turns your gambits into ranged ones. Before that you do have a couple of javelin skills. The DPS is a little slower ranged than melee (and compared to hunter they're both gonna be lower) but the nice thing is that unlike hunter you can very easily switch from ranged to melee DPS, all you gotta do is flip stances.

Quote Originally Posted by TinDragon View Post
    It's a Rohan only thing, and it may be warsteed only. Presumably they'll spread it to the rest of Middle Earth, but who knows, maybe they won't.
    Ah, that explains why I haven't seen it, my highest level alt isn't quite to Rohan yet. That also means that this feature won't help with craft leveling at all unless they decide to extend it to the rest of ME.

I think around level 30 you get Assailment stance, which turns your gambits into ranged ones. Before that you do have a couple of javelin skills. The DPS is a little slower ranged than melee (and compared to hunter they're both gonna be lower) but the nice thing is that unlike hunter you can very easily switch from ranged to melee DPS, all you gotta do is flip stances.
    Well, my hunter is currently only thirty-something, and switching from ranged to melee is simply a matter of hitting them with a spear instead of an arrow, but I do try to avoid melee as much as possible on that character. I was thinking more of the situation with my Guardian...Guards don't have *any* ranged attacks until level 30, which would be extremely slow for gathering hides in the early levels.

Well, my hunter is currently only thirty-something, and switching from ranged to melee is simply a matter of hitting them with a spear instead of an arrow, but I do try to avoid melee as much as possible on that character. I was thinking more of the situation with my Guardian...Guards don't have *any* ranged attacks until level 30, which would be extremely slow for gathering hides in the early levels.
    Yeah - this is not the case with Wardens. My warden is only at a very low level, but I am fairly certain that you get at least a basic javelin attack right off the bat. (I remember her wandering around Celondim tossing javelins at level 7 goblins for quests.) You get more powerful javelin attacks as you level.
    Galadhloth, Hunter 100, Glirithil, Mini 100, Calanor, LM 100, plus lots and lots of alts
    Watchers of Elendil ~ Landroval ~ Crickhollow ~ Tarciryan Knights
    ~~~~ Imladris in the Forgotten West ~~~~

True, but there's a difference. On hunter it's as simple as using different attacks. However, those attacks do significantly less damage than your ranged ones.

On warden, you switch stances and use the exact same skills, but switching to Assailment allows you to use them at range and then switching to Recklessness when they move in close allows those same skills to do more damage (or you could switch to Determination for more survivability once the mobs get close enough to hit you).