We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

New player - Confused about crafting

HI all, Im a new player to Lotro and so far Im having a blast. Ive always been into crafting and I prefer an mmo that lets me craft my own gear. While playing some mmos this is totally impossible, most have some reason to craft. I havent gone far yet but I have heard many times that you can get better items from skirmishes and instances than you can make crafting. Basicly Im asking then: if crafting items for yourself to use isnt worth the time, just go out and run instances for gear. Is there any other reason to craft?

Most of us that craft do so because we enjoy it. It adds depth to the game when you have built various characters around their ability to craft.

It is not everyone's cuppa tea. Just do what you love. Folks can get XP crafting and even symbols.

Do what you love. The joy will follow.
    [CENTER][charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/04208000000127880/01006/signature.png]undefined[/charsig][/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by HRHoftheWraithRiders View Post
    Folks can get XP crafting and even symbols.
    I beg your pardon? symbols? lolwut?
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/2322100000017383f/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Thonn View Post
    I havent gone far yet but I have heard many times that you can get better items from skirmishes and instances than you can make crafting. Basicly Im asking then: if crafting items for yourself to use isnt worth the time, just go out and run instances for gear. Is there any other reason to craft?
    Of course, because that "waste of time" statement is nonsense. First, you obviously need some gear to do those instances, and crafted gear is usually better than the quest rewards you get from normal landscape content. Second, those statements generally refer to farming group instances at level cap, during levelling you'll likely not find that many groups to run instances for gear (and you need a group). And last there are certain things that can only be achieved by crafting, like the high-end legendary items. Also some of the best items at end game need to be crafted from recipes dropping in instances, so it's not simply one or the other.

Mind it also depends a lot on your crafting profession. Good Jewellers, Scholars and Cooks are in high demand as they make consumables people want for instance runs as well as other nice items, Weaponsmiths and Woodworkers are wanted to make legendary weapons, Metalsmiths for crafting tools and shields, just Tailors are coming a bit short, though they're still useful.
    Used to play: 85 Champ / Captain / Runekeeper / Guardian, Guild Master of everything but cooking.
    Playing now: Hellcat / King Tiger / GW Panther / IS / KV-5 / M4 Sherman and more

Thanks Grimdi, that helps out a lot.

There is one thing that crafting gives to everyone that you cannot get in any other manner. The best crafted relics for your legendary items are bound to character. http://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Item...blem_of_Battle

What really is confusing in crafting, is the distribution of skills...
    In case of Historian, there's useless "Farmer" and "Weaponsmith", if with "Farmer" you can gather resources and sell on AH, then "Weaponsmith" is totally not usable because you cannot gather any resources, and you cannot buy them anywhere, no-one is selling.
    Well few times there were people who were selling 10 Copper ingots for 2g, yeah, good luck finding 2g on lvl10-20.

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    What really is confusing in crafting, is the distribution of skills...
    In case of Historian, there's useless "Farmer" and "Weaponsmith", if with "Farmer" you can gather resources and sell on AH, then "Weaponsmith" is totally not usable because you cannot gather any resources, and you cannot buy them anywhere, no-one is selling.
    Well few times there were people who were selling 10 Copper ingots for 2g, yeah, good luck finding 2g on lvl10-20.
    The Farmer isn't entirely useless to a scholar
    Where do you think the ingredients for Dyes, Paints and Wall Colours come from

And I have to agree with you on the AH.
    But its not really the stupidity of those selling at 2g.
    But those that actually BUY it for that price

Also

How come this is your FIRST post in 43 years
    HAF-X | ROG Crosshair V Formula Z | AMD FX 9370 4.4Ghz Black | 32Gb RAM | R9 390 8Gb (x2) | LG BD-RE | 500GB Samsung 850 EVO 550/540 SSD | Win10 Pro | WEI - 8.5

This is why it's good to have multiple characters, then you can get the materials yourself. It's not real hard.

Well ...depends on the level.

Top crafted equipment is excelent in the early levels, and when you reach a level gap.

Example: You reach level 75, and you are still using your level 58 teal jewelry (because the 60-65 crafted jewlry stinks), you will need to do a lot of quests and gain reputation to obtain the end game (level 75) equipment, so ...crafted equipment is an excelent option in that moment.

Level 85 is another diferent thing. Since most equipment drops are extremely easy to find ...you can just buy the items in the AH, or do a couple of instances runs and thats it ..you have all the good equipment in a few hours of work(or minutes, if you have the gold ..or the medallons to barter/buy them )
    ----------------
    Crafting buffs.

There are other crafted items that are very important in the game, besides equipment.

Scrolls of battle, food(you have 3 different food buffs that can be used at the same time), tokens of hope, class crafted buffs (Fire oil, potions of fervour, Bow chants, etc )
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/062050000002782cb/signature.png]Norhog[/charsig]

Crafting with four characters

Personally I don't crafting is a waste of time. I love to do it and like others said, you can good gear from it.

In addition if you have four characters (2 F2P accounts), you can craft everything for yourself. Casual Stroll to Mordor has an excellent guide about Self-Reliant crafting. That way none of your crafting professions is "useless" and you don't need to spend loads of money for certain crafts.

Have fun!
    Country: Netherlands, Current Server: Nimrodel. Future server: Landroval
    Sheherezi's an Eastemnet Cook & Farmer