We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
Results 151 to 175 of 223
  1. #151
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Hertfordshire, UK
    Posts
    2,095
    Quote Originally Posted by Sapience View Post
    If they are using our data APIs from Mylotro, yes.

    As an aside. I just saw an early, newly skinned update of the forums. They look really good so far. They are also... fluid. So they scale with your browser.
    Is there any chance we can have an option to switch between fluid and fixed? I can see the merit of fluid forums, they're good for tablets etc, but personally i hate fluid forums, you spend ages formatting a post to look all nice and then bang the forum adjusts to someones screen size and it looks messy.
    [I][URL="http://www.swgrp.co.uk/main/socks/"]Wet Socks & Two Smoking Hobits: the mad ramblings of Handee Pokits[/URL][/I]

  2. #152
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    2,039
    Quote Originally Posted by Edrogar View Post
    you spend ages formatting a post to look all nice and then bang the forum adjusts to someones screen size and it looks messy.
    Oh, you are that one?

    I hate sites (or posts) looking like this:
    Bla bla bla this is a long
    line.
    Bla bla bla This line is
    longer.


    How does this happen? The "designer" formatted for a fixed screen size. I usually increase font size in browser by one step. So the text becomes larger and don't fit in that fixed design any more. That's what I call, it looks messy.
    Wer Hilfe will, muss Informationen liefern.
    >> Lotro World transfer status <<

  3. #153
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Germany, NRW
    Posts
    65
    Quote Originally Posted by Edrogar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sapience
    If they are using our data APIs from Mylotro, yes.

    As an aside. I just saw an early, newly skinned update of the forums. They look really good so far. They are also... fluid. So they scale with your browser.
    Is there any chance we can have an option to switch between fluid and fixed? I can see the merit of fluid forums, they're good for tablets etc, but personally i hate fluid forums, you spend ages formatting a post to look all nice and then bang the forum adjusts to someones screen size and it looks messy.
    What exactly means "fluid"?

    I remember some forums where the full title area of each topic was stretched to my browser window. That was really confusing. Title on the left, other informations on the right, eye switching left, right, left, right ... you know what I mean. I believe it's state of the art that websites are centered in the browser with a maximum width. (27" screen)

    Hopefully the new forum width isn't much taller than the current.

  4. #154
    I just have to say this :

    Everything we do, only has a meaning if we can share it.

    Our whole modern world is build around that principle.

    This:

    Quote Originally Posted by Sapience View Post
    [*]The reputation system will be discontinued.
    [*]Character and guild data will be discontinued. Please note that this will also impact any systems that rely on character data including PVMP leaderboards, Character Signatures, and API functionality (data.lotro.com).

    The LOTRO Lorebook will be discontinued.
    [*]The current player blog functionality will be discontinued.
    Makes half of what is left of Lotro meaningless ..... why? whats the reason for this?

    ~Edhun of Gilrain
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/23221000000122526/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

  5. #155
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    532
    Quote Originally Posted by edjepredje View Post
    Makes half of what is left of Lotro meaningless ..... why? whats the reason for this?

    ~Edhun of Gilrain
    What I have are guesses so takeit as you will but at a guess I see a few factors at play:


    1) Cost versus usage. The blogs in particular probably fall into this category. If .1% of your userbase is utilizing a feature then either you haven't sold it or they won't use it so your options are either to push usage at a cost or cut your feature at a savings.

    2) Database incompatability. This is a guess at the issue with why they are shutting down data.lotro.com. It gets mentioned every Bullroarer build but the former codemasters/eu servers have a different database system for character info (which would include guild housing items, guild accounts, inventory bags and banks, etc) meaning that over time trying to accurately display information from the two databases would require increasingly strenuous effort and probably diminishing returns.

    3) Staff /QA time. This kinda goes hand in hand with the first one but any web based feature requires staff support as well as coding and engineering time dedicated to bug fixes and incremental improvements. There comes a point that you have to look and see if resources are being spent wisely or excessively on certain features so this may be he fate of some of them here.

    Anyway those are my guesses as to why. Doesn't make me happy but I can see why they might be eliminating the features they are.
    "We can deny our heritage and our history, but we cannot escape responsibility for the result... we cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home. " - E R Murrow

  6. #156
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Hertfordshire, UK
    Posts
    2,095
    Quote Originally Posted by GER-Sylvano View Post
    What exactly means "fluid"?

    I remember some forums where the full title area of each topic was stretched to my browser window. That was really confusing. Title on the left, other informations on the right, eye switching left, right, left, right ... you know what I mean. I believe it's state of the art that websites are centered in the browser with a maximum width. (27" screen)

    Hopefully the new forum width isn't much taller than the current.
    That's not exactly state of the art, state of the art means brand new and in fashion, the latest thing etc. We've been able to center web pages and restrict their size since day one of CSS, ie many many years. It's more common to see a fixed width and centered page simply because it is far more aesthetically pleasing and easier to format content than having a full width or a left/right or even a justified page, most web sites are trying to attract visitors so they try to aim for pages that are easy on the eye.

    What fluid means is that instead of putting something like ...

    Code:
    #wrapper {
    width: 900px;
    }
    ... in the CSS file, they put this (there's actually a lot more to it but this is basic sizing of the wrapper itself) ...

    Code:
    #wrapper {
    width: 80%;
    min-width: 600px;
    max-width: 900px;
    }
    ... which then instead of making it a fixed size and when you reduce the browser size it cuts off at the edges, it will instead shrink the width of the page so that it is always 80% of the width of the browser, but never bigger than 900 pixels wide and never smaller than 600 pixels wide.

    (yes i know vBulletin themes use XML with calls to CSS functions and not actual CSS so it will be different to this, but it's easier to explain it in CSS terms)

    It's good for small screens because you don't have to mess with scrolling, but when do this it means that you end up "squashing" pre-formatted content and putting it all out of alignment when you make the browser smaller.

    It's just one of them things where you flip a coin whether you want content looking neat or the actual page easier to navigate on smaller screens.
    Last edited by Edrogar; Jun 17 2013 at 05:25 AM.
    [I][URL="http://www.swgrp.co.uk/main/socks/"]Wet Socks & Two Smoking Hobits: the mad ramblings of Handee Pokits[/URL][/I]

  7. #157
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    12,677
    Quote Originally Posted by GER-Sylvano View Post
    What exactly means "fluid"?
    Not sure in vBulletin's case, but responsive web pages will use style sheets that know how to adapt the layout of the page to the current size of the view port (often using media queries to pick somewhat different layouts at certain breakpoints in the size). In the extreme, this can allow the same web page to serve a huge desktop monitor and a smartphone.

    Example: www.bostonglobe.com. Go to that site, and start making your browser window narrower and narrower. It reduces the size of the pictures, drops from 3 columns to 2, then to 1, gets rid of some "fluff" at smaller sizes, etc.

    Of course, I doubt vBulletin will do that automagically - if it did, Sapience would have surely said something about being able to view the forum reasonably on your iPhone. Instead, my guess is that they're doing something easier: allowing the forum to take up the full width of a regular monitor (instead of being constrained within a fixed width, like these forums are).

    In any case, if we can just get forums which are fast, reliable, and stop logging me out randomly ... I'm willing to give up a lot to get it. Good thing - sounds like we're giving up quite a bit. Which means it had best deliver very well on the gains, or we're going to be absolutely furious.

    Khafar
    Last edited by Khafar; Jun 18 2013 at 01:26 AM.

  8. #158
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    3,192
    The term is actually called "responsive" where the website adjusts itself based on what you are viewing it on...anything from a computer to a smart phone.

    However, I doubt the new layout will be responsive.

  9. #159
    Quote Originally Posted by Khafar View Post
    In any case, if we can just get forums which are fast, reliable, and stop logging me out randomly ... I'm willing to give up a lot to get it. Good thing - sounds like we're giving up quite a bit. Which means it had best deliver very well on the gains, or we're going to be absolutely furious.

    Khafar
    Actually the log outs are not random for the most part. They happen most often when the mods make changes in the forums. It may not be in the thread you are in but the re-index causes you to be on an invalid "something" at which the forum just logs you out. Forum changes by mods like deleting posts, moving threads, deleting threads all can cause the log out.

    It can also happen if you sit on a compose screen in a thread for a longish time and someone else posts a message in the same thread ahead of you. The thread ticket (my name for it) is now invalid and you get booted.

    If you are opening 2 threads at the same time, there is a problem when it reads the cookie on your system. Not sure what to call this, but it's like the cookie is locked on the 2nd read and the forum thinks you have no cookies, so like cookie monster it asks you for one.

    There are undoubtedly other reasons the forums log you out too.

    Copy All/Save to Notepad/Post/Re-log/Copy from Notepad/Re-paste to Forum Post are your friends. I'm so used to doing Ctrl+A/Ctrl+C/Ctrl+V now I'm surprised when I go to a forum that actually works and I don't have to do that. I'm sure after the update I'll still be doing this just because it's an ingrained habit now. ROFLMAO
    Whoever says “I” creates the “you.” Such is the trap of every conscience. The “I” signifies both solitude and rejection of solitude. Words name things and then replace them. Whoever says tomorrow, denies it. Tomorrow exists only for him who does not seek it. And yesterday? Yesterday is Kolvillàg: a name to forget, a word already forgotten.

    The Oath: A Novel by Elie Wiesel

  10. #160
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    12,677
    Quote Originally Posted by SabrielofLorien View Post
    They happen most often when the mods make changes in the forums.
    Interesting... how did you come to this conclusion? That seems like a hideous "feature" for forum software, and if vBulletin caused it, I'm quite sure I'd have run across it elsewhere - not just here.

    It can also happen if you sit on a compose screen in a thread for a longish time and someone else posts a message in the same thread ahead of you. The thread ticket (my name for it) is now invalid and you get booted.
    This seems plausible given what I've observed, but again... it seems completely brain-dead for forum software. Why haven't I seen this nonsense elsewhere?

    There are undoubtedly other reasons the forums log you out too.
    I can't prove it, but I get the impression it gets confused sometimes by the fact that I connect to work via a VPN (which changes my IP address back and forth as I connect and disconnect). I seem to get fewer spontaneous logouts if I go for a long stretch without connecting to work.

    Copy All/Save to Notepad/Post/Re-log/Copy from Notepad/Re-paste to Forum Post are your friends.
    I just do Ctrl-A/Ctrl-C just before pressing Save, then Ctrl-V to get it back if/when I get logged out. And yes, I now do this at all forums I use (even at work!) just out of habit. Grr.

    Khafar

  11. #161
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Hertfordshire, UK
    Posts
    2,095
    Quote Originally Posted by SabrielofLorien View Post
    Actually the log outs are not random for the most part. They happen most often when the mods make changes in the forums. It may not be in the thread you are in but the re-index causes you to be on an invalid "something" at which the forum just logs you out. Forum changes by mods like deleting posts, moving threads, deleting threads all can cause the log out.

    It can also happen if you sit on a compose screen in a thread for a longish time and someone else posts a message in the same thread ahead of you. The thread ticket (my name for it) is now invalid and you get booted.

    If you are opening 2 threads at the same time, there is a problem when it reads the cookie on your system. Not sure what to call this, but it's like the cookie is locked on the 2nd read and the forum thinks you have no cookies, so like cookie monster it asks you for one.

    There are undoubtedly other reasons the forums log you out too.

    Copy All/Save to Notepad/Post/Re-log/Copy from Notepad/Re-paste to Forum Post are your friends. I'm so used to doing Ctrl+A/Ctrl+C/Ctrl+V now I'm surprised when I go to a forum that actually works and I don't have to do that. I'm sure after the update I'll still be doing this just because it's an ingrained habit now. ROFLMAO
    A part of the reason could be because vBulletin has some not so well known long running login issues. Specifically issues related to integrated logins between multiple different software applications installed onto the same database, certain database entries vBulletin makes can conflict with other database entries from the login on other software, two of the most common software applications that have these conflicts are .. wait for it .. wordpress and mediawiki ... guess what is used here .. yup. It doesn't seem to have these issues if you put each application into its own database then "bridge" their logins, but if you install them onto the same database it can sometimes cause all sorts of conflicts and issues. Which is also probably why we're losing my.lotro and lorebook, because they use wordpress and mediawiki.
    Last edited by Edrogar; Jun 19 2013 at 05:18 AM.
    [I][URL="http://www.swgrp.co.uk/main/socks/"]Wet Socks & Two Smoking Hobits: the mad ramblings of Handee Pokits[/URL][/I]

  12. #162
    Quote Originally Posted by Anavalar View Post
    Altfinder and the like use the API to grab their character info. No API = no apps.
    You just have to link characters with user ID to find Alts...

  13. #163
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredelas View Post
    PvMP leaderboards didn't even exist for the first 18 months of LOTRO. Was PvMP not fun back then? Was it just less fun?

    Codemasters never even had leaderboards, did they? I seem to remember the German PvMP community was still quite fierce, and had no problems tracking who got which rank first.

    Personally, I enjoyed pre-Moria (and pre-leaderboard) PvMP more than any time since then. Maybe that's just because it was still new to me at the time, though.
    Computers didn't even exist for the first 200 millenia of human history. Was gaming not fun back then?

    Screw progress, let's all go back to the Stone Age and bang sticks together.

  14. #164
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    15
    I understand how the game data got to its current corrupted state. Splitting configuration control, then trying to bring it back together... My head hurts just thinking about it.

    As I am sure you are aware, the in-game kinship system is one of the weakest of all current MMOs, and many of us were using external systems as a crutch to cover the lack of industry standard kin/guild function in-game because we really like the game and the community.

    So now to the question: Is there any intent to make the in-game kin support system more robust? (Kin vaults, editable kin ranks, a kin-leveling system based on something other than time in game, game-play usable kin rewards, etc.)

    I hope so, because your words pull our crutch and provide no hope for replacement. These measures are going to make it even more difficult to make kinships meaningful.

    Oh, and the "choice" between forums and all the stuff that is being removed seems a bit of a false choice. Export the data so it is available to other providers to develop the tools for you. If the two server sets (US and EU) have different fields and meta-data, so be it. The community will figure out how to use it to the benefit of all of us, including WB/Turbine.

    Oh, and any chance we can get access to the redacted Player Council discussion on this topic? I am curious to see what their input was, and how it was used in the decision process.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0c20a0000002f970d/01001/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

  15. #165
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    3,192
    Quote Originally Posted by Fornor View Post
    So now to the question: Is there any intent to make the in-game kin support system more robust? (Kin vaults, editable kin ranks, a kin-leveling system based on something other than time in game, game-play usable kin rewards, etc.)
    Personally, I think a lot of what they have now could be best handled by 3rd party sites that are set up for guild hosting like Shivtr, Enjin, Guild Launch, etc.

    But I would be all for a better in-game kin management system.

    Hopefully freeing up the resources of managing a LOTRO social site will allow them more manpower to do such a thing.

  16. #166
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    625
    Quote Originally Posted by little-wolf View Post
    Computers didn't even exist for the first 200 millenia of human history. Was gaming not fun back then?

    Screw progress, let's all go back to the Stone Age and bang sticks together.
    Yeah, my point exactly!
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/2521c0000001feb60/01003/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

  17. #167
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    London, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    1,742
    How about making it so that I don't have to wait an eternity to get my character in game?


    It's like the people who make this game forget that we PAY TO PLAY. It's not something that you're giving away.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/13213000000000b61/signature.png]Thorrod[/charsig]

  18. #168
    Quote Originally Posted by Sapience View Post
    Lorebook
    The LOTRO Lorebook will be discontinued. Official Guides will be relocated to LOTRO.Com website.
    Does this mean anything labeled as an "Official Game Entry" will be moved and preserved? Or will the only ones saved be the "101" Guides?
    Last edited by IAmWillowing; Jun 29 2013 at 09:24 AM.
    Willowing, Officer of Second Breakfast
    2 Twinfall Path, Tund Faroth, Falathlorn Homesteads
    Do drop in! The door is always open!

    Breakfast: the best meals of the day!

  19. #169
    Quote Originally Posted by IAmWillowing View Post
    Does this mean anything labeled as an "Official Game Entry" will be moved and preserved? Or will the only ones saved be the "101" Guides?
    My understanding is that all content of the Lore Book will be taken off line.

    A few things like the Developer Diaries, Patch Notes and the 101 Guides will copied to the new web site. I believe Developer Diaries are already in their new home.

    You have written a player guide for the Lore Book. I would recommend downloading a copy of it. Uploading it to the fan operated:
    http://lotro-wiki.com/
    lotro wiki.
    Unless stated otherwise, all content in this post is My Personal Opinion.

  20. #170
    Player created 411s can already be placed in this forum area: Player Created Guides and FAQs

    Forum » Community & Social » Player Created Guides and FAQs

    http://forums.lotro.com/forumdisplay...uides-and-FAQs

    It seems more detailed information is going to be found over in LOTRO-wiki as already noted.
    Whoever says “I” creates the “you.” Such is the trap of every conscience. The “I” signifies both solitude and rejection of solitude. Words name things and then replace them. Whoever says tomorrow, denies it. Tomorrow exists only for him who does not seek it. And yesterday? Yesterday is Kolvillàg: a name to forget, a word already forgotten.

    The Oath: A Novel by Elie Wiesel

  21. #171

    What about ZAM?

    How does http://lotro.allakhazam.com/ ties into these changes? Are they one of these 3rd party websites that get their info from LOTRO and forums, and this will loose their functionality as well? Yes I know they are 3rd party, but do they depend on feeds or whatnot as these other sites that you guys favor which will be discontinued?

  22. #172
    Quote Originally Posted by HeirOfNumenor View Post
    How does http://lotro.allakhazam.com/ ties into these changes? Are they one of these 3rd party websites that get their info from LOTRO and forums, and this will loose their functionality as well? Yes I know they are 3rd party, but do they depend on feeds or whatnot as these other sites that you guys favor which will be discontinued?
    All 3d party sites that rely on the lotro data api will be affected.

    This includes 3d party guild hosting sites like http://www.guildlaunch.com/ and http://www.guildportal.com/ etc that pulled character info for their roster features.

    Sites like ZAM will be in this category too.

    Already some plugin authors are beginning to see the difficulty in keeping their plugins working.

    The only way they will be able to continue providing updated data is to find a way to get the data themselves.

    In the mean time, these will all break on the forum update date.
    Whoever says “I” creates the “you.” Such is the trap of every conscience. The “I” signifies both solitude and rejection of solitude. Words name things and then replace them. Whoever says tomorrow, denies it. Tomorrow exists only for him who does not seek it. And yesterday? Yesterday is Kolvillàg: a name to forget, a word already forgotten.

    The Oath: A Novel by Elie Wiesel

  23. #173
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Gallifrey. I need a Jelly Baby.
    Posts
    19,132
    I just want my post history back. I hate having to make a spam post in someone's thread just so I can check my post history. It's a hassle for me, violating the EULA by making spam posts, and it's disrespectful to the OP's thread.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
    Continuing the never ending battle to keep Lobelia Sackville-Baggins in check

  24. #174
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    7,583
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymphonic View Post
    I just want my post history back. I hate having to make a spam post in someone's thread just so I can check my post history. It's a hassle for me, violating the EULA by making spam posts, and it's disrespectful to the OP's thread.
    You dont need to make spam posts. Book mark your individual userID search link

    Nym- yours is
    http://forums.lotro.com/search.php?d...&userid=407493
    Crell-L85-Champion - Riddermark ; Swego-L85-Burglar ; Kotvi-L95-Runekeeper
    Delego-L85 Hunter ; Stodden-L51-Captain ; Edhul-L61-Loremaster
    Deglorion - SoA XP Disabler

  25. #175
    Quote Originally Posted by Yula_the_Mighty View Post
    My understanding is that all content of the Lore Book will be taken off line.

    A few things like the Developer Diaries, Patch Notes and the 101 Guides will copied to the new web site. I believe Developer Diaries are already in their new home.

    You have written a player guide for the Lore Book. I would recommend downloading a copy of it. Uploading it to the fan operated:
    http://lotro-wiki.com/
    lotro wiki.
    Thank you for the info, Tantalus.
    Willowing, Officer of Second Breakfast
    2 Twinfall Path, Tund Faroth, Falathlorn Homesteads
    Do drop in! The door is always open!

    Breakfast: the best meals of the day!

 

 
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload