We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Nifroth View Post
    Removal of leader-boards...Don't really know what the reasoning behind this is, not much purpose of having a lotro site without leader-boards imho, lol... the forum part is mainly empty talk, someone complaining or just raging if it's the pvmp forums.
    Having the option of seeing what is going on in the moors, if anything at all via dailystats page by gains had yesterday and before is a great thing, having someone to compete against is also a good thing, imo. Now that is going away as well, sigh.

I just find the lack of response to PVMP-ers questions/comments so very, very ugly. Not even a
    No, we do not plan to put up new l-boards. or We don't know yet, I will look into it. or Yes, we will do something about it.
    Just an ignore option, I really feel like I am part of the unwelcome section of the game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aelonaith View Post
    its a slap in the face of PvP comunity, without dailystats and without ways to know who is farming rank. Bad move Turbine, bad move.
    Quote Originally Posted by Laggus View Post
    The whole point of PvMP is to compete. Whether that is with your pals, against your pals or anyone else. Its integral to this that you can see the results of your play in this way and this is why, imo, leaderboards are essential. It provides incentive to play. If you can no longer see who you want to beat, or who is beating you, I would honestly probably not play as often as I do.
    I agree to all comments above. What is there left for pvp'ers if there is no leaderboard?? I have seen Turbine make some seriously bad decisions over the two years I have been playing as a VIP, but this one is the worst by far.

We pvp'ers complain about farmers, so you take down the leaderboard? Really?? Not only this is infuriating, but also is a very bad business decision. You do realize all freep pvp'ers are VIP, and as far as I know, most creep players buy at least some skills with TP. You will be taking away the motivation to play for all these players who pay you. I, for one, pve only to improve my pvp. I'm not proud to admit, but I spent about $700 in tp last year (on top of a year of sub) because I just didn't want to spend mind-numbing time deeding to get my virtues up, or farm the same instances over and over to get crystals of remembrance, scrolls of empowements, etc. Pve content isn't very interesting in lotro anymore. I'd rather save my time, have actual fun in the game, so I pay for those. IF you take away leaderboards, I know for sure I will either stop playing or play much less. Probably go f2p, and play creep. Why pay vip? why get tp? No leaderboard? No competition? Not much motivation for pvp on freep.

And, I agree with Nifroth. Where's your response to us pvp'ers? Unacceptable customer service really. Maybe we should all rate Turbine on Better Business Bureau. At this point, I'm giving you F.
    [IMG]http://oi41.tinypic.com/14v1utt.jpg[/IMG]
    Farrielle R13 Captain (BW), Archaniel R8 Hunter (CH), Farrial R8 Minstrel (CH)
    Farrball R9 Stalker (CH), Kumosan R8 Weaver (CH), Vapour R6 Reaver (CH)

I only rarely use the Leaderboards, but I know that many players use them, and some use them a lot. It never feels right taking back a feature, especially one that's been around for some time. The 'Beta' tag on these forums long ago lost it's value. C'mon Turbine, show the bean-counters the anger this has already caused, and it's not live yet. Hit WB up for some spare change and get 'er done.
    << Co-founder of The Firebrands of Caruja on Landroval >>
    Ceolford of Dale, Dorolin, Tordag, Garberend Bellheather, Colfinn Belegorn, Garmo Butterbuckles, Calensarn Nimlos, Langtiriel, Bergteir

Will interactive google map be in new site?

Will these shut down services be back in some time in the future? May be part of them? Or in the form of APIs that other sites could use?

PvMP leaderboards didn't even exist for the first 18 months of LOTRO. Was PvMP not fun back then? Was it just less fun?

Codemasters never even had leaderboards, did they? I seem to remember the German PvMP community was still quite fierce, and had no problems tracking who got which rank first.

Personally, I enjoyed pre-Moria (and pre-leaderboard) PvMP more than any time since then. Maybe that's just because it was still new to me at the time, though.

Well DDO had their forum "uprade" rolled out yesterday and all i can say is if that's anything to go by we have problems.
    • It's gone from a fairly responsive forum to laggy like ours is - i don't hold out any hope for us.
    • They've added HTTPS to login, but it's only partially encrypted so still not a secure login.
    • They are now experiencing similar login timeout issues to what we are now when they didn't before.
    • Instead of creating a proper theme for the forum they've embedded a built in theme into the community site heard, footer and background which is one of the most resource hungry ways of doing it, lazy coding there.
    • Everyone's had to recreate their forum accounts and a lot of people have lost the forum stats and history from their old ones because they've had to create a new screen name and it's failed to link to the old account.
    • Links and bookmarks are broken because they changed the base url from forums.ddo.com to ddo.com/forums
    • i'm not sure on this one, but it looks like they're moving myaccount to be accessed via the new community site, which is a little worrying considering it's still not secure.
    I built better community websites and forums while i was still learning php. What a shambles, i'm actually pretty scared at what we're going to get if this is any example.

http://swgrp.co.uk/main/socks/turbin...ould-we-worry/
    Last edited by Edrogar; May 01 2013 at 05:56 AM.
    [I][URL="http://www.swgrp.co.uk/main/socks/"]Wet Socks & Two Smoking Hobits: the mad ramblings of Handee Pokits[/URL][/I]

Keep leaderboards

Sapience,
    I agree with my fellow moor's friends from Crickhollow. Please keep the leaderboards. I believe they are a important part of the moor's community as well as the games. I believe that pvp is just as important as pve.
    Thank you.

Gold items for everyone, rank more and more meaningless, raids more and more senseless due to a strange loottable system. It seems to be that the developers didn't even know the direction this game should go either. I really can't call singleboss-raids endcontent...really dissappointing development. One more update with only running instances 200 times again and again to gather items I cannot stand anymore.
    Last edited by Aphyris; May 01 2013 at 06:31 AM.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/1f21b00000024f292/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

[url]http://lis-hdro.de[/url]

Just a small suggestion: create the forum for the player guides now, not after the change, so there is a transition time to copy directly player guides into the web site. Sub forum creation should not be a big deal to do, and would ease the transition period.

Overall, sad changes in my opinion.
    Kalluin - Elf Guardian - Arandur of [URL="http://vanimar.shivtr.com"]Vanimar[/URL] (Laurelin/Landroval)
    Miste - Elf Minstrel - Lady of the Harp at [URL="http://vanimar.shivtr.com"]Vanimar[/URL] (Laurelin) and [URL="http://s13.zetaboards.com/Andunie/index/"]Andúnië[/URL] (Laurelin/Landroval)
    Vestri - Dwarf Champion - Tyalie, the [URL="http://sociedadtolkien.org"]Spanish Tolkien Society[/URL]'s kinship (Laurelin)
    Tarquillan - Human Loremaster - [URL="http://foros.comunidadhispania.com/forumdisplay.php/102"]Hispanea[/URL] (Laurelin)

Quote Originally Posted by Sapience View Post
    [*]Character and guild data will be discontinued. Please note that this will also impact any systems that rely on character data including PVMP leaderboards, Character Signatures, and API functionality (data.lotro.com).
    Does this mean that it'll no longer be possible to search for any character that is created after the changes take place? Will it also mean that sites like altfinder will no longer be able to gather data on characters (as some posters have already asked)?

What is going to happen to the existing threads in the forum? Will existing bookmarks still work? Or should I save all the pages onto my computer in order not to lose the information they contain?

Quote Originally Posted by PoisonRedApple View Post
    Does this mean that it'll no longer be possible to search for any character that is created after the changes take place? Will it also mean that sites like altfinder will no longer be able to gather data on characters (as some posters have already asked)?
    I don't think this is a question, it's a certainty. Sapience said in his original post:

"Character and guild data will be discontinued. Please note that this will also impact any systems that rely on character data including PVMP leaderboards, Character Signatures, and API functionality (data.lotro.com)."

Altfinder and the like use the API to grab their character info. No API = no apps.

Quote Originally Posted by Anavalar View Post
    I don't think this is a question, it's a certainty. Sapience said in his original post:

"Character and guild data will be discontinued. Please note that this will also impact any systems that rely on character data including PVMP leaderboards, Character Signatures, and API functionality (data.lotro.com)."

Altfinder and the like use the API to grab their character info. No API = no apps.
    Thanks very much for making this clear!

Inboxes

Anyone know if our Inboxes will stay intact?

Any new informations about the forum changes??

May is nearly over and the changes were scheduled for april/may and nothing happened til today (maybe background changes?). Lottery is still down, signatures are still working, leaderboards too.

Here it is:
    Quote Originally Posted by Sapience View Post
    However the actual software and systems changes have been delayed slightly and will likely not happen until mid-June based on current estimates.
    Wer Hilfe will, muss Informationen liefern.
    >> Lotro World transfer status <<

Quote Originally Posted by Untg99 View Post
    Would there be any plans to reintroduce character/PvMP data in the future?

Apart from lulzing through the forums, that was basically the only thing related to this community website I came here for.
    Quote Originally Posted by Donikkl View Post
    Will we have any chance to get leaderboards in a different way?
    It would make me quite sad if they won't be accessible anymore
    bump, i'm quite curious myself. Sapience do you foresee any new leaderboard type thing at some point in the future for the new updated forums?

Quote Originally Posted by Nifroth View Post
    I just find the lack of response to PVMP-ers questions/comments so very, very ugly. Not even a
    No, we do not plan to put up new l-boards. or We don't know yet, I will look into it. or Yes, we will do something about it.
    Just an ignore option, I really feel like I am part of the unwelcome section of the game.
    Yea, i have to agree with this, my experience of turbine dev/PvMPer relations seems to be a cold one, well when it comes to forums at least, but then PvMPers i would say make up most of the trolling and QQ also!

as a PvMPer myself i do somewhat feel like we are the black sheep of the flock in terms of the Lotro community, seen as a nuisance more than anything, which is a shame, but.. enough of that! we can only truly critique something with hindsight and objectivity; so let's see how it goes!!
    [img]http://bildr.no/image/Rk82Ty9F.jpeg[/img]
    -- First rank 12 warden on server --

No leaderboards, no alt-finder, now im sure i will not spend a cent on this game anymore.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/2022401000020bf17/signature.png]Zlochko[/charsig]

How about doing something similar to what Trion does for Rift?

That is, forums work just as forums.

Leather-boards are an ingame functionality, not a forum one.

They have a public ftp server on which they put images and XML files for all class abilities, recipes, items, quests, achievements and so on (ingame data are public this way, and usable by everyone).

If you think asking them to keep the features they're taking away is going to make them think, "oh, wow, people use these features!" you're just wasting your time. I'm sure they have access to API request stats and can see how many requests per day they get for each of the request types. That should be a very simple check. The fact that they're taking these things away and not planning on adding them back, for whatever reason they provided (the reason really doesn't matter), should tell you something.

Keep it in mind before you give them yet more of your money.

Quote Originally Posted by Creepkilla View Post
    Yea, i have to agree with this, my experience of turbine dev/PvMPer relations seems to be a cold one, well when it comes to forums at least

There was a pvmp dev (Jalessa, I think?) who was very responsive back when defiler changes were being made a few years ago. I don't know if she still works at Turbine, but once in a while there is an employee who responds and shows interest in what pvmp players want to see.
    Last edited by elderlygamer; Jun 05 2013 at 05:39 PM.
    Ijustpassedgas Excuseme
    Yeasty Infection

Quote Originally Posted by Fionnuala View Post
    Here's the thing, I don't think that most of the people wanting better forum performance thought for a moment that we would be required to give up so much to get it. I mean, come ON, Turbine. Forums are basic stuff. Everyone has a forum and I don't think it's too much to expect a successful game company to be able to maintain a forum that works well and also provide out of game information and features for the use of your players. I think that most people wanted you to put MORE resources into the website and forums instead of just getting rid of everything else to make the forums work. That's ridiculous, to be honest. It's not the sort of thing a game player expects from the game company they are supporting. I'm really astounded.
    I am with you. Turbine decided to cut off the hand altogether in order to treat a paper cut.

I know it's not the most prudent thing to criticize developers on their site, but I can only see two explanations: Either the decision-makers are completely incompetent or solely concerned with cutting costs.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/2521c0000001feb60/01003/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Fredelas View Post
    PvMP leaderboards didn't even exist for the first 18 months of LOTRO. Was PvMP not fun back then? Was it just less fun?

Codemasters never even had leaderboards, did they? I seem to remember the German PvMP community was still quite fierce, and had no problems tracking who got which rank first.

Personally, I enjoyed pre-Moria (and pre-leaderboard) PvMP more than any time since then. Maybe that's just because it was still new to me at the time, though.
    Your point is irrelevant. There is a fundamental difference between a) never having something to begin with and b) having something you've relied on for a long time and having it suddenly taken away for the most absurd reason.

I didn't grow up with personal computers and video games (yes, I am old), and their lack did not impair my happiness back then; but I cannot imagine living without them now.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/2521c0000001feb60/01003/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

I have an additional question about these upcoming changes:

My kin has a Guildlaunch website, and my (vague) understanding of how Guildlaunch works is that it can grab your character information from the LOTRO site, which you can then 'claim' and add as a member of the guild. With these upcoming changes to things like mylotro.com, will there be changes in this functionality for 3rd party sites like Guildlaunch using this information?

Sapience is offline Former Community Manager & Harbinger of Soon
    Quote Originally Posted by DanteIL View Post
    I have an additional question about these upcoming changes:

My kin has a Guildlaunch website, and my (vague) understanding of how Guildlaunch works is that it can grab your character information from the LOTRO site, which you can then 'claim' and add as a member of the guild. With these upcoming changes to things like mylotro.com, will there be changes in this functionality for 3rd party sites like Guildlaunch using this information?
    If they are using our data APIs from Mylotro, yes.

As an aside. I just saw an early, newly skinned update of the forums. They look really good so far. They are also... fluid. So they scale with your browser.

Question:

If the relaunch of the forums turns out to be largely successful and mostly bug free, can we expect development on other services (blogs, character search, etc) sometime in the future?

Also... any idea if the character limit on signatures will be relaxed?

RIP ELENDILMIR • Jingle Jangle
    Landroval
    : LAERLIN (Bio + Drawings) • LAERWEN • OLORIEL • AETHELIND (Bio + Drawing) • NETHAEL

Such heavy price for such basic needs fullfilled.

http://www.lotro-inn.com/content/end...cking#comments

Good game Turbine.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast