We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Sapience is offline Former Community Manager & Harbinger of Soon

Important changes coming to the LOTRO Forums and MyLOTRO

Soon we will be making several significant changes and updates to the LOTRO community websites. Some features of the existing community site will be upgraded, while others will be discontinued.

Forums
    The forums are going to be upgraded to a slightly newer version of VBulletin.
    Changes will include:
    • The forum styling/appearance will be updated.
    • We will be adding a new forum home page that includes forum category navigation and feeds of recent turbine announcements/recent player discussions.
    • The reputation system will be discontinued.
    • Forum performance will be improved.
    • The forum layout and the number of forums will be streamlined to reduce the number of forums and sub-forums.
    • Our bug reporting system is being revamped. We will update the bug reporting links as soon as the new system is available.

Lorebook
    The LOTRO Lorebook will be discontinued. Official Guides will be relocated to LOTRO.Com website. If you have created a guide and wish to save it, please copy it from the lorebook in the next few days. We will be creating a new “Player Created Guides” forum for you to post your guides in.

MyLOTRO
    Several MyLOTRO components will be moving to LOTRO.com or retiring. Details are as follows:

• The current player blog functionality will be discontinued. We are investigating ways of bringing blogging to players in the community site, but in the meantime existing player blogs can be exported for use at a later time. Exporting your blog will create an XML file containing all your blog entries, comments, and images, which can be imported into a variety of blogging platforms.
    • Character and guild data will be discontinued. Please note that this will also impact any systems that rely on character data including PVMP leaderboards, Character Signatures, and API functionality (data.lotro.com).
    • The Character Copy tool is being revamped and migrated to LOTRO.com.
    • The LOTRO referral system is being revamped and migrated to LOTRO.com. Please note that if you currently have active referrals, you will continue to accrue bonus points from your existing referrals, but you will be unable to redeem bonus points from your referral wallet or add new referrals until the new front-end of the referral system is launched.

LOTRO Lotteries
    The LOTRO Lotteries will receive a slight refresh and a new widget that should make them easier to find and enter. Our current expectation is the new system will be available with the launch of the new community site.
    Last edited by Sapience; Apr 24 2013 at 04:36 PM.

Any chance we can get an export option for all of our reputation comments? I'd rather not go back through all of my posts hunting for each of them.
    Crell-L85-Champion - Riddermark ; Swego-L85-Burglar ; Kotvi-L95-Runekeeper
    Delego-L85 Hunter ; Stodden-L51-Captain ; Edhul-L61-Loremaster
    Deglorion - SoA XP Disabler

Is there an ETA? I believe you said on another thread that it was expected mid- May. Is that still true?

(going to add a link on my siggie back to this to try to help get the word out)
    Firefoot: Elendale (hunter) Galorlas (champ) Grimlaff (warden) Corny (warg)

Do you know if the number of characters allowed in a signature is changing in any sort of way?

Hope to see blogging return, but in the meanwhile, glad for the revamp.
    [CENTER][IMG]http://i40.tinypic.com/dgoqrr.jpg[/IMG]
    RIP ELENDILMIR • Jingle Jangle[B]
    Landroval[/B]: [SIZE=1]LAERLIN ([URL="http://tinyurl.com/laerlin"]Bio + Drawings[/URL]) • LAERWEN • OLORIEL • AETHELIND ([URL="http://tinyurl.com/aethelind"]Bio + Drawing[/URL]) • NETHAEL[/SIZE][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][URL="http://tinyurl.com/mnwbbbq"]Make LOTRO Housing Fun & Profitable![/URL] • [URL="http://tinyurl.com/m33b8be"]New Dye Color Suggestions![/URL][/CENTER]

PvMP Leaderboards are being discontinued? Leaderboards are an integral part of any PvP community and can add a competitive element server wide. Granted, rank isn't really what it used to be, but this is a pretty significant loss to PvMP.

There are several non-Turbine websites that are based almost entirely on the leaderboard data. Surely there must be some way to make that data available after the website changes.

Quote Originally Posted by sirwillow View Post
    Is there an ETA? I believe you said on another thread that it was expected mid- May. Is that still true?

(going to add a link on my siggie back to this to try to help get the word out)
    Currently the plan yes, though it may slip out to later in the month. May is definitely the target.

No API is disappointing. I assume that includes the item data. Not that the item data was 90% accurate or up to date at all. But this totally kills most third-party tools.

Doing whatever it takes to make the forums usable is worth doing. That said, character data, I feel, is going in the wrong direction. LOTRO was already significantly behind other MMO's with the out-of-game tools that players had. This really does minimalize things.

Happy for the changes, but sad about the removal of character/kin data. I was really hoping to see those beefed up to even more useful services.

Quote Originally Posted by Sapience View Post
    Soon we will be making several significant changes and updates to the LOTRO community websites. Some features of the existing community site will be upgraded, while others will be discontinued.

• Character and guild data will be discontinued. Please note that this will also impact any systems that rely on character data including PVMP leaderboards, Character Signatures, and API functionality (data.lotro.com).
    Will this also mean the end of websites like LOTRO AltFinder, or will there still be other avenues for them to harvest our information?
    [color=red]Work like no one is watching, dance like you don't need the money...[/color]

Just a quick question: considering that the Lottery system will go on (and that we can therefore suppose that the tech behind the characters data gathering will be still on), can we expect (possibly not at the relaese, but later) that we get the character data back (even if only as xml like in data.lotro.com)?

Regards,
    Skro

Will custom forum titles be preserved?

Quote Originally Posted by Nakiami View Post
    No API is disappointing. I assume that includes the item data. Not that the item data was 90% accurate or up to date at all. But this totally kills most third-party tools.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skro-Noleth View Post
    Just a quick question: considering that the Lottery system will go on (and that we can therefore suppose that the tech behind the characters data gathering will be still on), can we expect (possibly not at the relaese, but later) that we get the character data back (even if only as xml like in data.lotro.com)?

Regards,
    Skro
    These are sort of related. The data will still be there for some time, but it will not be supported or updated and will eventually be disabled. So anything, in terms of third party apps, that work now will continue to work as they do now until such time as it's finally disabled completely.

Quote Originally Posted by hucklebarry View Post
    Doing whatever it takes to make the forums usable is worth doing. That said, character data, I feel, is going in the wrong direction. LOTRO was already significantly behind other MMO's with the out-of-game tools that players had. This really does minimalize things.

Happy for the changes, but sad about the removal of character/kin data. I was really hoping to see those beefed up to even more useful services.
    So, it's a question of which do you want? I mentioned before that there was going to be a question of, "what are you willing to give up?" Simply put these options are tempermental, are built onto the enginre not part of the initial design, and require significant resources in and out of game to maintain and carry forward. In shot you can pick one of your two 'wants', but only one. We went with what most seemed to want. Improved forum/community experience.

Quote Originally Posted by boxmodeler View Post
    Will custom forum titles be preserved?
    I've heard nothing to suggest they won't. We might even get the functionality back to allow players to switch between their titles at will. *Fingers crossed*

[*]Character and guild data will be discontinued. Please note that this will also impact any systems that rely on character data including PVMP leaderboards, Character Signatures, and API functionality (data.lotro.com).
    Is there any chance that data.lotro.com will be back online later (it means - soon after the forum update)? Also with Lorebook? Otherwise it's a nice backstab to community/kinship sites with automatic roster updates and various other features.

So, it's a question of which do you want? I mentioned before that there was going to be a question of, "what are you willing to give up?" Simply put these options are tempermental, are built onto the enginre not part of the initial design, and require significant resources in and out of game to maintain and carry forward. In shot you can pick one of your two 'wants', but only one. We went with what most seemed to want. Improved forum/community experience.
    Yup, fully understood, and supported. Still sad though

Also, thanks for the heads up on the coming changes. Today was a big information day.

• The current player blog functionality will be discontinued. We are investigating ways of bringing blogging to players in the community site, but in the meantime existing player blogs can be exported for use at a later time. Exporting your blog will create an XML file containing all your blog entries, comments, and images, which can be imported into a variety of blogging platforms.
    XML that stores images, really? Not without converting them to Base64 it isn't, which translates to a potential monster file depending on the number of images. I don't have a blog here so I can't say for sure where blog images are being stored, locally or if they make you upload to a third party site, but my suggestion would be to backup all the images used in your blogs. Just saying.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/04208000000002533/01008/signature.png]Tawel[/charsig]

RIP Lotro website

RIP PVMP

RIP Dailystats, Lotroaltfinder

let the creep farmers farm unnoticed forever, and make rank even more meaningless

its ok if most people want a better community experience with the game site
    but as a game like lotro, with all its magnitude, money involved and players involved,
    you cant just ignore the pvp portion. after all the only thing a free player can't get any way
    in the store is going pvp with his toons. it looks like turbine just ignores this opportunity

Obviously, I don't know the details of how Turbine has their data stored for items, characters, and any other pieces of information. I would assume there's a database(s) for the information. But as someone who builds systems that provide data thru APIs, a proper infrastructure(read-only replicants) and built system should not stress where the data is stored.

I totally agree that there are priorities and just getting the forums working should be the top priority. But I hope at some point, Turbine looks at providing this sort of information.

Lorebook
    The LOTRO Lorebook will be discontinued. Official Guides will be relocated to LOTRO.Com website. If you have created a guide and wish to save it, please copy it from the lorebook in the next few days. We will be creating a new “Player Created Guides” forum for you to post your guides in.
    Lorebook is really handy for checking items from outside of the game, without it (and data.lotro.com) I wouldn't have been able to build the database used for Tulkas. Please please tell me we can have some sort of offline items database in the future
    Thanks
    [CENTER][SIZE=3][B]Galuhad | Narvelan[/B]
    Lore Breakers of Eldar[/SIZE]

[URL="http://www.lotrointerface.com/list.php?skinnerid=3762"]Plugins[/URL] | [URL="https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?538975-Accounts-for-New-Players"]New Player Guide[/URL] | [URL="http://www.twitch.tv/galuhad"]Twitch[/URL]
    [/CENTER]

""Character and guild data will be discontinued. Please note that this will also impact any systems that rely on character data including PVMP leaderboards, Character Signatures, and API functionality (data.lotro.com).""

^ dislike.

I think this information is valuable for players and guild leaders/officers. As an Officer myself, accessing this data is useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Galuhad View Post
    Lorebook is really handy for checking items from outside of the game, without it (and data.lotro.com) I wouldn't have been able to build the database used for Tulkas.
    That was my first thought when I read the news.There's also TONS of information (including severely outdated) collected over the years. I do think leaving a hibernating copy for a few months at least would help saving the important pieces.
    [B]Landroval[/B] [COLOR=#ff0000]off[/COLOR] [B]Feoktist [/B](brg)
    RU.Lotro U13 [B]Fornost [/B][COLOR=#ff0000]off[/COLOR] [B]Gustavo[/B] (brg) / [B]Narciss [/B] (wdn)

Very disappointing forum changes. Lorebook content that has to be individually saved by original posters or else lost, blogs going away, no 3rd party access to any character data. So now instead of useful 3rd party tools that give me more access to my game experience, I will now have better loading times to posts about how a class should be nerfed because they did more dps once during a run. Awesome.

This puts Turbine squarely at the back of the pack for user experience. Other games are ADDING leaderboards to increase PvP experience, here we take it away.

So... no my.lotro.com? No Black Apendange and PvMP daily stats?

Suddenly the forums being unstable seems alot more wonderful than this new community site you are building.

Please say it isn't so?

LOTRO is already so far behind other games when it comes to meta-game and offline interaction with the game.

Lorebook is gone too?...

Oh dear
    [CENTER][URL="http://my.lotro.com/Galahadur"]Razor[/URL] // Lusitanius // Crickhollow ~ Portuguese Kinship // [COLOR=#dda0dd]Former Player Council Member[/COLOR]
    [SIZE=1][COLOR=#afeeee]Galahriel | Razorock[/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]
    [/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=Orange][B][URL="http://staffstrike.wordpress.com"]Staff Strike![/URL] - A [COLOR=Yellow]Lore-Master[/COLOR] class guide and blog (on permanent hiatus)[/B][/COLOR].[/SIZE]
    [/CENTER]

As much as I hate to see the data.lotro system going away, I would rather have a fully functioning community site and no officially supported data as opposed to having either no community site or having half-working systems on each (which is what we currently have). LotRO players are very inventive, I have no doubt we'll find alternate methods to do nearly everything we do now. And there's always Lotro-Wiki to replace the Lorebook, which is honestly more up-to-date than the Lorebook is anyway.

Side note. I got logged out while posting this. The forum revamp can't come soon enough.

LOTRO Lotteries
    The LOTRO Lotteries will receive a slight refresh and a new widget that should make them easier to find and enter. Our current expectation is the new system will be available with the launch of the new community site.
    So does that mean we'll actually have lotteries once more?

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast