We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Warg Skill Rotations

Greetings all,

I've finally done it and crossed over to the creep side having now rolled a warg that I've tricked up at the Lotro store (because life is just too short to grind when you don't have to).

So I've read the Art of Warg and seen some older posts re skill rotations, but there are differences I'm just not sure about, i.e., the Art of Warg says to start with pounce (unless LM/Burg/Guard) then crippling bite, throat rip, maul and claws and spam the last two.

Other posts have said pounce then rend flesh, maul/claws (or vice versa) and spam claws.

I've tried the Art of Warg method with some success but feel like I'm missing a vital few seconds of stun time using crippling bite/throat rip where I could otherwise being doing max damage ala rend flesh and/or maul/claws.

Any advice out there on the latest skill rotations especially in the post U10.1 world, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Heya,

I learned this rotation from a veteran warg, and it has worked really well for me. So I use shadow pack (if possible), pounce, claws, rend flesh, eye rake (to speed rend), claws, maul, cripple. After this, I land the silence if needed, then start spamming claws, rend, and maul. I like to save pounce to interrupt inductions, and eye rake to speed long animation skills (e.g, flea bitten, savage fangs).

On a side note, I actually try to stun burgs at the beginning of a fight whenever possible in order to get them to burn FF. If they use it at the beginning, the heal goes to waste and the evade boost counts for nada if you are in Shadow. Later in the fight you can stun them with impunity, and such stuns have actually allowed me to win a few 1v1s. However, it'd be best not to stun them if you are in a group composed of non-wargs, as the evade boost greatly complicates things for your fellows. 'Tis all about prudence.

Anyway, I hope this info is of some use to you, and gratz on your warg!
    "The strength of the pack is the wolf; the strength of the wolf is the pack"
    -Motto, U.S 3rd Light Armored Recon Battalion
    Leftenant Arkantor: Oblivion Awaits

Excellent!

Great tips and sincere thanks!

Very good advice above,

I would just add that there are certain classes where I would be very careful about not applying the cripple early, particulaly the the Runekeeper.

While you do lose some DPS in those first seconds, if a slow is not applied in 2.5 seconds there is the chance they will stun you and apply a slow before kiting and that is very bad news for a warg (even more so if you dont have sprint which isn't much easier either if they have good movement!)

Good luck out there
    The Last Alliance - Officer
    [B]
    Dapple[/B] Rank 10 Warg

Quote Originally Posted by Hendos View Post
    Very good advice above,

I would just add that there are certain classes where I would be very careful about not applying the cripple early, particulaly the the Runekeeper.

While you do lose some DPS in those first seconds, if a slow is not applied in 2.5 seconds there is the chance they will stun you and apply a slow before kiting and that is very bad news for a warg (even more so if you dont have sprint which isn't much easier either if they have good movement!)

Good luck out there
    Excellent point! I avoid this problem by popping a stun pot for the 5 second SI a little while before the RK recovers from the pounce. This usually buys me enough time to deal max DPS and land the cripple.
    "The strength of the pack is the wolf; the strength of the wolf is the pack"
    -Motto, U.S 3rd Light Armored Recon Battalion
    Leftenant Arkantor: Oblivion Awaits

I haven't messed around on my warg in awhile so I'm not familar with the benifits from using eye rake after rend flesh, I've noticed double tapping rend works wonders though. Also keep moving slightly in between attack skills.

I'll start by saying this rotation works well for me, but your mileage may vary considerably. After all, as Wargs we are sensitive creatures and reflect a range of personalities even wider than the variation of our luxurious fur coats. Also, please note that there is more to being a Warg than eating hobbits, thus some of the skills in this rotation.

1st: Start with a good morning stretch and a shake. Make sure to snarl, as your packmates will take it as a "good morning" and it will scare the hell out of the Goblins - which is always amusing.

2nd: Scare up some grub. And by "scare up" I do mean that literally, though by "grub" I mean food, and not actual grubs. Though I will say that fresh killed Norbog does taste better than even thoroughly tenderized and well cooked Dwarf. It's that beard fur, you know?

3rd: Since I'm not as young and sprightly as some of my packmates, I tend to spend a bit of morning time training the Cubs. They are -so- cute when they're puppies! Your rotation may not include training duties, but it's often quite rewarding.

4th: Get some exercise. I've trained one of the Uruk to play fetch with a large Aurox bone. Since he's used to pulling that bow thing they use, he's got a good throwing arm and snatching the bone out of the air has been great for keeping me agile.

5th: Spend the afternoon hunting Freeple. I personally like the Hobbits best. They are just SO tasty.

6th: Take a bath in one of the rivers. While the Uruk, Goblins, and Orcs rarely bathe, it really is the only way to keep our luxurious fur coats, well, luxurious. Besides, Dwarf blood reeks and those Freeple can smell the stink from 80 meters off. Hard to be stealthy when you smell like a brawl in a brewery.

7th: Scare up some more food.

8th: Hang out with your pack, get in some good lunar howling, and otherwise show the rest of Great Eye's forces why we Wargs are easily the most civilized and sophisticated of them all. In spite of the lack of thumbs. Do feel free to let some of your Arachnid friends hang out with you, and even the occasional Orc or Uruk. After all, some of them can be trained.

9th: Check in with the Groomer. I've managed to enlist a cute little Elf girl who knows exactly how to get the tangles out of my fur. I've even managed to train her to not try and lace ribbons or anything froofy into my fur. Remember. It's all about the luxurious fur coat. It's why the Freeps hate us so. Jealousy.

10th: Sleep. I recommend at least 9 or 10 hours. But don't get lazy like one of those Dunlanding battle cats that sleep all flaming day. The lazy sots.

Wash. Rinse. Repeat.

You may need to adapt to your own circumstances, but this is what works for me.
    Hobbits . . .
    Now them's good eatin'!

Red face

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to l4j again." ^_^

My basic warg strategy... Assuming you have most or all skills... I play almost 100% in Flayer, FYI. If you don't have Flayer, I recommend spending some Turbine Points to acquire it.

Start with my basic initial rotation from stealth and no stance:

Pounce, Flayer Stance, Eye Gash, Cripple, Fleas, Throat Rip, Claws, Rend, Claws, Maul, Claws, Snap, Scratch and Snip followed by a quick Eye Gash, try to throw in Savage Fangs for +10% attack duration, reapply cripple then rinse and repeat DPS attacks starting with claws.

Never use Savage Fangs unless Cripple is off CD, which should immediately follow SF. If a target is Crippled, Savage Fangs applies a bleed and removes the Cripple slow, which is why you want to be able to reapply Crippling Bite right away.

Get Frenzy in asap after Rend and Snap are applied.

Throw in a pounce whenever it's up, but only if they don't have stun immunity.

If for some reason I don't get a crit response up early, I replace Rend or Snap with Swipe.

This rotation and variations of it has worked ok for me, but often times I just toss it out the window and go back to my usual method of smashing my face into my keyboard and hope for the best.

Happy hunting.
    [img]http://i1266.photobucket.com/albums/jj534/ladiesandgentlemen69/Sugarbits_zpsf333e556.jpg[/img]

2 Things Which i either noticed overlooked or needed clarifying:

1) I always use Maul as like the 2nd or 3rd attack after pounce when in shadow, why....Because you get a -25% attack duration buff (Sudden Maul) which ends up adding up to a decent amount additional DPS, and when better to have it then the start of the fight, not necessarily the end like alot of people have suggested waiting to use maul at.

2) I believe unless it has changed that using Savage Fangs after crippling bite only removes the Crippling bite State (called Bitten per the lotro wiki crippling bite entry) and not the actual slow (called cripple per lotro wiki crippling bite entry). The crippling bite state (represented by bitten on the targets buff/debuff bar) is needed for the chance to have a stun/Warband proc. when using pounce, or to apply the savage fangs bleed, without it your just doing damage/interrupt skill (in case of pounce), or a attack duration/induction/parry/evade debuff (depending on what stance you are in). Besides that the suggestion to use savage fangs when crippling bite is off CD is a good one, especially if you want to be able to proc a stun shortly after applying the bleed.

Another suggestion thanks to a good friend on Dwarrowdelf named Ssuperburz (one of all time best on server) is to always either use flea bitten or rapid bite before the other because they both are potted by a disease pot and so if you want one to stick, use the other one first.

Lastly, even though it may seem like a great thing to do because it is always off CD, Id try to limit spamming Rend Flesh to when the target is stunned (no B/P/E) or you know beyond a shadow of a doubt you have at the targets back, thus only having to deal with evade.
    Last edited by Vezz; May 06 2013 at 05:11 PM.
    [CENTER][COLOR=#daa520][SIZE=3][FONT=palatino linotype]Razzgash R12 Warg -- Razzgrish R12 Blackarrow -- Razztankz R12 Warleader
    Razztoxin R11 Weaver -- Razzhealzu R10 Defiler -- Razzbladez R9 Reaver[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
    [/CENTER]

The slow is not removed by savage fangs.

My rotation (still very imperfect, but working well so far) is this:

pounce - maul - rend flesh (I always have a crit by then, if not, I just put it in as soon as I do) - crippling bite - claws - savage fangs - claws.

If it's a mini or something that needs silencing I'll throw that in early, too. Frenzy goes in when I notice I've got another crit response. And then it's spamming claws until the bleeds expire. After that first savage fangs bleed, I use crippling bite + pounce when it's off cd for the stun chance.

Whether or not I use pack hunters depends on if I think of it, what class the freep is and where we are. If I do, I use it right before pounce. Works quite well.

I tend to use disappear offensively as often as not - I'll wait until they're down to about 2-3k morale before I pop it and circle around for another pounce. That second pounce, I just use pounce-maul-claws, with the goal of burning it down before the stun expires. Ditto with using the tendon shred stun.
    lvl 105 Guardian | 93 Mini | 63 Hunter | 46 Warden | Lukiluk - r10 Warg | r6 Defiler | r6 WL

Twitch.tv/Arathaert | Youtube.com/ArathaertTV