We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

I don't want to heal! ...advice?

The title may be a bit misleading but here is my situation. I love the minstrel, have played almost everything to just past 20 now to get a feel for it and I found that a minstrel in War Speech is my most favorite. Granted, when I am NOT in that stance, I hate this class. Can't stand it. It seems to be 2 totally separate entities entirely!

With that said, I plan on playing mostly with my buddy who is a warden and we will probably go to 85 together and may never be in a max raid. Perhaps some grouping here and there, but that is probably it. I just want to find out if I am alone here?? Also, anyone that is playing mainly this way, will you provide some tips as to what stats to truly focus on? I know being "young" probably doesn't matter much, but I very much want to be the very best or at least get the most information I can to be viable at what I am doing as well as be good enough to solo content.

Any help would be appreciated!

**note: after fights, I don't mind dropping the stance to heal everyone up, it's just too frustrating to me to be the "sole healer"...I'm lazy and old, I don't need that stress

Minstrel in war speech traited red line is a kick to play and a great class solo or duo, even if you don't want to do group content.

Will is still critical for you because it gives you tactical mastery/dps. Other stats you need are vit for morale and fate for crit rating and icpr. In the lower levels the armour and jewelry isn't exactly geared toward your main stats so you have to do the best you can to balance, but once you get above 65 it gets easier.

At 85 you can go WS through most 3-man content, with minimal healing perhaps on the boss or just rely on your crits to open the random heal you can throw on a fellow member if you trait for it. There's also the moors, which is also great fun on the minstrel.

Oh, and youth is definitely wasted on the young. Even in gaming.
    I'd explain it to you, but I'm all out of Puppets and Crayons.
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    GLADDEN SERVER
    Moochy, 105 Minstrel R10

Quote Originally Posted by Zuludawn View Post
    ...I'm lazy and old, I don't need that stress
    LOL, aren't we all? I really don't think you would like raids, on any stance or any class then. But as for healing, I've got a 85 warden who while tanking heals the group mostly for agro but it helps. My mini is only 48 but has been healing most of that time with my sweetheart who has a burg as the tank for us. And my rune keeper just hit 82 and has solo'ed from mid 30's to there as dps. Plus I have a capped hunter...basically what I'm saying is I love dps too!

But yesterday while lvling my rk, I find a landscape raid(7-10 pp) going for xp, a Lore Master was tanking it. When I saw the LM he/she needed a little boost with heals, then a lot of boost with heals, short story is I was invited and was the sole healer in the group. That was a little challenging as I was traited for lightning dps, but it was fun keeping the group healed because it WAS challenging.

As a mini you will find most raids will want you as the healer not dps, hunters do better with dps so they would win the spot over you.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/012030000001eec3f/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

...Heal anyways

I know that when I started my minstrel I wanted nothing to do with healing... WS was amazing and I loved it. As I leveled, though, I came to like healing more and more until now... I literally refuse to play the dps role.

While WS minstrel is a heck of a lot of fun, and they do a huge amount of damage at lower levels compared to other classes, their advantage diminishes. If you wanted to just play it for fun, I'd say sure, go ahead and WS. (When on the red line dont focus on buffs like the +20% armour... if youre going for dps you go all-out.) But since you DID say that you plan to hit 85, this is unrealistic.

You will only be getting in raids if the leader simply can't find another hunter or champ.. it is how it is. And if they admit a minstrel, it is expected of them to heal. There's no way around it. A mini dpsing is like a warden healing the fellowship... kind of pointless.

Sorry to say, but my advice would be to either heal anyway.... or delete and roll a RK.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/06205000000286872/01002/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

You are not alone!

I was a little wary of my minnie until I realised what awesome dps he has. I levelled solo all the way to 85, as I didn't want the responsibility of healing - in fact the minnie was the one I chose to lead the way through Rohan.

I totally agree with Beaniemooch, though I can't comment on the moors (no interest in PvP). However, I don't agree (with Ariskabar) that you wouldn't like raiding. I'm 'lazy and old' too, but discovered raiding at lvl 75 on my captain. Now I have 3 alts at 85, and healing raids is definitely on my fun list! It's great to be able to stand back and support all the 'young things'. A word of warning though, try not to have to look after multiple champs - they can be a little wild and irresponsible!

Just enjoy your minstrel as a really powerful fighter and see what the future brings.

If you want to learn to heal without stress or drama, join a good kin. PUG healing is a mess. You have all sorts of bad play from various people and they always seem to blame the healer for not keeping them on their feet despite themselves.

Folks who group in a kin know that they will see the same people again tomorrow and the next day. They learn how to work together, or they get told that it might be best for them to move on. You may get criticism after a kin raid, but it will be (or should be) constructive.

When you are in a good kin, healing is neither stressful nor particularly difficult. The tank will have the aggro and 75% of the time that will be the only guy you need to watch. Sure there are AOE's but you also get (at higher levels) several group heals. It should not be like in a PUG, where folks are careless about grabbing aggro from the tank.

If however, you know for certain you never, ever want to heal under any circumstance... then when you do join a group just be sure to declare yourself a DPS mini.

The traits you want will be the same as a healing mini. You want Will for power, Fate for power regen and criticals, you want anything that adds to your tactical mastery. Since you will be drawing some threat, vitality (for morale) may be an important third trait for you. And virtues that add to your mitigations will be helpful too. Charity & Innocence are good for that. Fidelity adds to tactical mitigation.

Good luck!

It depends what you want to do. Running with kin mates who know what you want to do, its perfectly viable, if sub-optimal to play as a DPS class (I'd say the best DPS minstrels are slightly better than a random hunter/champion/RK, but that's a matter of opinion as there's not really anyway to test that). I do it a fair amount, typically when we are blitzing through 6 mans and the cappy is taking the brunt of the healing. Even focusing on DPS you provide a legitimate amount of unintentional healing.

But if you want to PUG a lot you may find you are getting turned down for groups. I also have a sneaking suspicion that you'll get a lot of complaints from members of the group who are dying that you are not off healing (I expect these to be the same people who are not moving out of pools, or potting the nasty effects.)

Anyway, you never know what the class updates will bring, you may find all the secondary class roles brought up to primary class standards.
    “All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.”

You don't want to heal? I bet you also rolled a Guardian because you didn't want to tank. Go roll a different class.

Champion is an excellent DPS class. Hunter and Rune-Keeper are also options.

For soloing and duoing, that's great - you don't have to learn anything about healing, besides what you need to heal yourself & what things give a bonus heal to a fellowship member even when you're in warspeech (chord of salvation, for instance, gives a HoT after you get the upgraded version). If you decide to do 3-person stuff, learn how harmony works - it's kind of the combo healing/dpsing stance. If you want to join a six-person or raid, though, either learn to heal, find a group that's sympathetic to having a dps mini - and this will be hard, but not impossible - or skip any group stuff. And if you do decide to join groups, let them know *right away* that you want to dps, not heal.

Enjoy! I love playing solo in warspeech. It's tons of fun. Eventually, you might want to give tougher stuff a try - a well-geared mini can solo some small fellowship quests/instances, though it takes a loooong time.

My mini heals...herself. She's not my main though. Play whatever you like, and don't feel compelled to play some twinks cookie cutter standards of what a character should be. I would rather be a warrior bard myself, than a warm fuzzy feelings poetry reciting bard. I did get my mini up to 30 in a day, armed with nothing but a cowbell and some Vogon poetry. That's faster leveling than my burg or champ, so I like it for a crafting alt.

I guess that's one reason I prefer burglars, because people don't try to push me into a certain role as much.

Either re-roll or dont do group content

A third way: You should be getting Harmony stance soon if you haven't already. Harmony combines some of the Warspeech DPS ability with limited ability to heal others. You won't get quite the huge hits of Warspeech, but it does a respectable bit of damage while providing a bit more healing flexibility

Some people love Harmony, some people hate it. I personally like it and find it useful in groups - I always run Warspeech when I am soloing, but in groups I will switch between Harmony and Melody (default stance) depending on the needs of the group. In Harmony, you can throw out some decent DPS, hit a coda and heal up the whole group (or just your warden friend) while orcs fall like dominoes all around.

That being said - if warspeech makes you happy, go for it. Be a DPS minstrel and own it - Mini definitely has the ability to pull it off. I have to say my mini (now level 51) is throwing out damage which my Hunter would have envied at the same level.
    Galadhloth, Hunter 100, Glirithil, Mini 100, Calanor, LM 100, plus lots and lots of alts
    Watchers of Elendil ~ Landroval ~ Crickhollow ~ Tarciryan Knights
    ~~~~ Imladris in the Forgotten West ~~~~

You are paying for this game so play as you like

There are many elitists out there that think that their ways are the only ways to play and at times i'll fall into that category when for example I get a minstrel into the group that two minutes later after being in my group tells me that he will not be healing.

My advice would be - if you going to join instances with other people tell them that you will not heal and well. Just have fun Got my minstrel up to 75 in the past week and I'm loving it. Soon i'm going to hit the moors and for once have an OP classed toon! Though I'm planning on heal - leeching.

Good luck
    [CENTER][charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/222190000001d00fd/01005/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    [/CENTER]

There's also a great threat and PDF on how to heal in Warspeech.

At lower levels it focuses primarily on defensive buffs, boosting ICMR generously, and taking out the MOBs as quickly as possible.

It functions a lot like captain healing, hitting things with Herald's Strike to produce group heals (a Coda bonus to Anthem of Prowess).

At higher levels, you can trait so heals are available for others.

The reason I mention this is I agree, I don't hate healing, but it's so boring just hitting one green skill over and over again. Healing whilst in warspeech is a fun challenge. It won't accommodate raids or hard fellowship instances however.
    Link to our community LOTRO store google spreadsheet pricelist and conversion rates, please contribute too!: https://goo.gl/wxPqCm

Comparing Champions to Minstrels is like comparing Apples to Elephants. RKs are in general, much squishier than Minstrels in my experience, and Hunters are more like immobile weapon platforms. A minstrel is able to kite indefinitely and presents a unique playstyle that, IMO, no other class in the game can really emulate. The warden comes closest in Assailment, but then you run into the same group of people telling you to tank instead, so... *shrug*

My advice is this: tell people upfront that you're not comfortable healing, and if they insist you heal anyway, get a set of crit crafted healer stat bagpipes.

Quote Originally Posted by Galadhloth View Post
    A third way: You should be getting Harmony stance soon if you haven't already. Harmony combines some of the Warspeech DPS ability with limited ability to heal others. You won't get quite the huge hits of Warspeech, but it does a respectable bit of damage while providing a bit more healing flexibility

Some people love Harmony, some people hate it. I personally like it and find it useful in groups - I always run Warspeech when I am soloing, but in groups I will switch between Harmony and Melody (default stance) depending on the needs of the group. In Harmony, you can throw out some decent DPS, hit a coda and heal up the whole group (or just your warden friend) while orcs fall like dominoes all around.

That being said - if warspeech makes you happy, go for it. Be a DPS minstrel and own it - Mini definitely has the ability to pull it off. I have to say my mini (now level 51) is throwing out damage which my Hunter would have envied at the same level.
    I am just re-joining my mini, and loving it! It was on the shelf for 3 years, but the changes were awesome. I love Warspeech, but I must agree, Harmony is amazing. I use Harmony with a protector in skirmishes. I still do decent DPS, but the AOE Coda is "da bomb'! If your in a zone farming, and over level, try Harmony, the AOE is so fun!

Back in the day, (Oh boy I sound soooo old) before War Speech was even in game, I only had 1 real good power to use Piercing Cry (http://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Piercing_Cry). The rest were heals.

I grouped with my old Kin from time to time. But mostly I solo played a lot of areas, especially when it came to looting legendary pages (you actually got a page for any class, not just your own).

Then War Speech was added and now, I just use that when I play. Unless I am in the Epic storyline and have to kill a boss. At the boss fight I drop out of War Speech Mode and kill it slowly, all the while seeing my green bar stay nice and full.

I don't group with anyone anymore. So I rarely go out of War Speech.

As someone said before, this is a video game for fun. Play your toon how you want. If you want to DPS then own it! Don't let them put mini in the heal corner. Stand proud and enjoy the fun of Middle Earth.

Quote Originally Posted by Graycient View Post
    You don't want to heal? I bet you also rolled a Guardian because you didn't want to tank. Go roll a different class.

Champion is an excellent DPS class. Hunter and Rune-Keeper are also options.
    Tsk Tsk...Aren't we cranky. - 1 for you, soup nazi...

My mini is almost level 70 atm, totally solo'd in War speach and red line mode. I started him with the idea of trying to sort of recreate something like my Cleric in DAOC..He wound up being closer to my AC1 War Mage, if you play with the volume down like me.
    Although I mostly dop not group or heal, except to do the odd run wiht Kinnies, I rolled this alt to have the OPTION to that if I choose.
    Oh, an dI will take a War Speech Mini over a glass-cannon RK any day, my personal preference.

Bottom line, play what you find fun...You'll find a way to have a great time anywhere....
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/062050000001ee3e9/01003/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

If you don't want to heal, then don't ever play a class that is capable of healing. Period. If you play a class that is capable of healing, people will expect you to heal, especially the minstrel class. For the following reasons:

The minstrel in WS is super fun and great AoE DPS, but at the end of the day, it's not a sustained dps like a champion or hunter, and it's not as much of a burst as an RK. So while it's great for solo/duo/3-man/easy 6-man, it's really not good for anything else. People won't want mini DPS in harder group content or any raids because the single target dps just isn't there, and the AoEs are an issue in any situation where you have crowd control or are not able to AoE due to the mechanics of the fight. That severely lowers the overall DPS of our class. Because of this minstrels are usually expected to heal in any end game raid or harder 6 man content.
    Freia - Level 85 Elf Minstrel, Crickhollow
    Loge - Level 85 Elf Loremaster, Crickhollow
    Brunhilde - Level 85 Hobbit Burglar, Crickhollow
    Nimrodiel - Weaver, Crickhollow

Have to agree with some of the people here, if you do get invited along to raids, you will be expected to heal. If you say you want to do just DPS, they will find a class that does frankly, do better DPS and isn't quite as squishy. I agree with you, WS is fun, I love running around kiting everything and just blowing them up with some awesome flute playing. But then again, I also love healing. It gives you more responsibility in a group, people count on ya, and that's great! It's up to you at the end of the day to choose how you wanna play, don't let other people give ya too much grief over it. Main thing is, have lots of fun .

To OP:

Just don't accept any group or raid invites that want you to be a healer and no one will be disappointed. You owe it to the group to disclose ahead of time your intentions of not wanting to heal.
    [SIZE="4"][/SIZE]FDR: Hold on, boys! I, for one, would like to hear what the blood-spattered young lady has to say.
    Reefer Madness: The Movie Musical (2005)

DPS all you want! I have a skald warrior minstrel and I never heal on it.. hate healing. Although I haven't had time for the new content, when I do play, I do raids, groups.. just anything I feel like. The minstrel can definately dps with the best of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Norwrei View Post
    The minstrel can definately dps with the best of them.
    I think you're being very misleading. I barely manage 1/3 of the DPS the Champions and Hunters in my Kin can pump out. Now I class them as being at the top of their game while my DPS skills and setup still need a little work (I do have FA DPS LIs however), I find it hard to believe it would be possible to push our DPS to the level where they are competitive.

Of course you can do it, and I'd take a well skilled DPS minstrel over an undergeared Hunter. But suggesting a DPS minstrel is on par with equivalently geared and skilled traditional DPS classes, is going to disappoint anyone who puts time into a minstrel with hopes of being part of the top tier DPS crowd.

That is unless of course you have some evidence to support your claims, the numbers I tend to use for a well played DPS class is around 2000 on lv85 dummies, or 4000 on lv75 dummies.
    “All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.”

I only play my minstrel dps so I know what I'm talking about and no I'm not being misleading.. but everyone is entitled to their opinion. It's just a game you know. People play the way they want and at the end of the day it's all codes and pixels with a whole lot of rp.

I'm curious about what kind of dps you do because I've actually put a lot of work into my dps build (pve) and still can't touch the top dps classes in my kin. For that matter, I actually can't even outdps the top cappy in my kin so I don't even think we're a better option than any class at all as far as skill and gear goes.

With that being said, I agree with 00CloughRN that a well-played, geared out mini will dps better than the average glff hunter/champ/whatever. I've posted my 2nd best parse on a 75 dummy here to show you that I either have a good point or I'm doing something wrong and can improve my parse (I'm hoping for the latter). But to put it into perspective, the cappy I was referring to was hitting 2500 on the 75 dummy and one of our dev burgs hits around 4k.

"Heroes get remembered but Legends never die."

SnH Landroval

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast