We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Thread: Emblem Scroll

Emblem Scroll

Which scroll do you put on an emblem? Physical mitigation + might or something else?

Thanks
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/03202000000007697/01008/signature.png]Agarno[/charsig]

Tactical Mitigations + Might (or Tactical Mitigations + Evade if I'm tanking).

You will get a lot of physical mitigation from your armor and might score.
    Maley Oakensage, Captain of Elendilmir

Alas Elendilmir, may you *jingle jangle* forever in the Forgotten West

Quote Originally Posted by RTAragon View Post
    Which scroll do you put on an emblem? Physical mitigation + might or something else?

Thanks
    I think it depends mostly how you play. If you are the style of Captain who stays in the background healing or dpsing and doesn't take many hits, I would go with tactical mitigation over physical. If you are a tankish-style Captain who dives into the fray, then I think physical mitigation is better.

Far as which stat to get, might is always a safe bet - though Fate or Vitality are also worth considering depending on your build and priorities.
    Last edited by Jeremi; Apr 18 2013 at 09:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Almagnus1 View Post

Exactly this for me.
    [CENTER][IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v341/tindragon/Base.png[/IMG]
    Steam: Sneakeh Snake[/CENTER]

Yep. I go Tac + Might. Moors is all tactical damage (basically). Much of the harder content in the game has tactical damage too. And you can get physical mit very easily...

Thanks everyone for your input. Tac Mit +mit/vit seems to be consenus.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/03202000000007697/01008/signature.png]Agarno[/charsig]

While it may be true physical mitigation is easier to get than tactical for Captains, it's also more important - in my opinion - to get really high IF you plan on being a front-line captain since you will frequently and often take physical damage from many sources at once.

So I don't think it's always so cut and dry as to always use the Tactical Mitigation scrolls. It's a nice stat, but I do think generally physical mitigation is of more importance to a front-line Captain, and I would make that a higher priority than tactical mitigation in that circumstance. Otherwise, I would agree with the couple of posters above that tactical mitigation is better. But for front-line Captains, I would try and make physical mitigation a higher priority. At least that has been what my own recent experiences have taught me, and taught me that hard I may add.
    Last edited by Jeremi; Apr 19 2013 at 11:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremi View Post
    Just to again echo the voice in the wilderness - while it may be true physical mitigation is easier to get than tactical for Captains, it's also more important in my opinion to get really high IF you plan on being a front-line captain since you will frequently and often take physical damage from many sources at once.

So I don't think it's always so cut and dry as to always use Tactical Mitigation. It's a nice stat, but I think physical mitigation is of more importance to a front-line Captain overall, and I would make that a higher priority than tactical mitigation in that cirumstance.
    This is (yet another) point where Jeremi is going off of feeling, and not actually looking at the hard data.

Most of the damage that you will care about is going to be tactical - with very few raid bosses actually using physical damage over tactical damage (Draigoch is the only physical damage boss that comes to mind, there are maybe 2-3 others in the game, the overwhelming majority is tactical damage).

It's easy to get our physical mitigation up to around 50% just by slotting a Hytbold/Erebor/PvMP armor set combination, and jacking your might up to around 2k or so. When you are building for tanking, the extreme amount of vitality you will want to get is going to take care of the missing physical mitigation from the might drop.

TL-DR: Tactical mitigation is what you are going to fall short on because of how our stats work. Anyone telling you to stack physical mitigation when you're not trying to down a physical damage based raid boss didn't do the research.

This is what I do as well, for the same reason. We generally don't need to stack Physical Mit, since we get it from armour, Might, and virtues. Tactical Mit is a bit harder to cap, and, if your tank is doing his job, tactical damage is the only kind you're likely to receive in most instances.
    Cainwen Ciaphas, Captain of Crickhollow, HERO OF MIDDLE EARTH!!!
    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! My opinions are my own!

While it may be true physical mitigation is easier to get than tactical for Captains, it's also more important - in my opinion - to get really high IF you plan on being a front-line captain since you will frequently and often take physical damage from many sources at once.

So I don't think it's always so cut and dry as to always use the Tactical Mitigation scrolls. It's a nice stat, but I do think generally physical mitigation is of more importance to a front-line Captain, and I would make that a higher priority than tactical mitigation in that circumstance. Otherwise, I would agree with the couple of posters above that tactical mitigation is better. But for front-line Captains, I would try and make physical mitigation a higher priority. At least that has been what my own recent experiences have taught me, and taught me that hard I may add.
    Jeremi, you seem to be slightly confused on how mitigations work. Where you are in the fight (up close or far away) doesn't matter as far as mitigations go, because that only affects source damage. The tactical damage that most bosses do is both melee and ranged. Additionally, your physical mitigation is already higher naturally, and any tactical type (not source) attacks tend to be the harder hitting attacks as well. There's no reason for any heavy armour class to worry about physical mitigation pretty much ever.
    [CENTER][IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v341/tindragon/Base.png[/IMG]
    Steam: Sneakeh Snake[/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by furtim View Post
    This is what I do as well, for the same reason. We generally don't need to stack Physical Mit, since we get it from armour, Might, and virtues. Tactical Mit is a bit harder to cap, and, if your tank is doing his job, tactical damage is the only kind you're likely to receive in most instances.
    I'm not sure about how things are on your server, but actual tanks are getting rarer and rarer in pug groups these days - at least on my server. So I'd say it's rarer for me not to be taking piles of physical damage in most instances rather the opposite.

I'll agree though if you have a good tank or take active steps to avoid aggro you don't need the extra physical mitigation.
    Last edited by Jeremi; Apr 19 2013 at 01:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TinDragon View Post
    Jeremi, you seem to be slightly confused on how mitigations work. Where you are in the fight (up close or far away) doesn't matter as far as mitigations go, because that only affects source damage. The tactical damage that most bosses do is both melee and ranged. Additionally, your physical mitigation is already higher naturally, and any tactical type (not source) attacks tend to be the harder hitting attacks as well. There's no reason for any heavy armour class to worry about physical mitigation pretty much ever.
    I'm not confused about that Tin, you just don't seem to understand what I was trying to say. I know tactical and physical mitigation only affect source damage - but if you are on the front lines taking the brunt of a zillion adds beating on you constantly I find that physical mitigation is more important in situations like that than tactical mitigation is. So if you are trying to counter situations like that, I do believe physical mitigation should be a higher priority. I'm not saying tactical mitigation isn't good. It is, but for me at least, I find physical mitigation more important for my Captain since I am so often swarmed with adds.
    Last edited by Jeremi; Apr 19 2013 at 12:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TinDragon View Post
    Yep. And it is pretty easy to get physical mits in the 60+% range, harder to get tac mits up far above 50%.

Fact is, if you are really getting actively beat upon by lots of mobs and taking serious damage, a better solution is to switch to sword and board. The block % from the high might and the crit defense/etc will really toughen you up...

Quote Originally Posted by DelgonTheWise View Post

Fact is, if you are really getting actively beat upon by lots of mobs and taking serious damage, a better solution is to switch to sword and board. The block % from the high might and the crit defense/etc will really toughen you up...
    And the even better solution would be use a sword and board, get your crit defense up AND your physical mitigation

I'm not confused about that Tin, you just don't seem to understand what I was trying to say. I know tactical and physical mitigation only affect source damage - but if you are on the front lines taking the brunt of a zillion adds beating on you constantly I find that physical mitigation is more important in situations like that than tactical mitigation is. So if you are trying to counter situations like that, I do believe physical mitigation should be a higher priority. I'm not saying tactical mitigation isn't good. It is, but for me at least, I find physical mitigation more important for my Captain since I am so often swarmed with adds.
    If you have "a zillion adds" you are either:
    A) Spamming RC, so you are kiting
    B) Have agro, as the tank and healer just died
    C) Tanking

In A & B, going S&B will save you because all that might just got converted into block (at a rate of 4* might), which is enough to put you close to block cap in a glass cannon build.

In C, vitality + might + armor is enough to get you close to your physical mitigation cap.

In all cases, it makes more sense to grab the tactical mitigation because that's what we're weaker on.

Well for my play style which is mainly healing...

I use Enduring Wisdom II for Tact Mit & Tac Mastery for the out going healing. Might works too...but I like my set-up.

Just my opinion.

Trey
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/022040000002c26ce/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]