We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Hunters, Stats and Defense

I've been looking at how things work for hunter's from a defensive point of view. My conclusion is that we should ignore Might and will and totally stick to Agility, Vitality and Fate with the main emphasis on Agility. Does everyone agree with this?

Armor seems to be pretty important for defense so its worth focusing on armor and, it appears, that LOTRO have not given us many tough choices such as some armor with less armor value but higher agility/vitality. So basically we get the best armor we can that has agility as a main stat. Is this about correct? Or are there some tough tradeoff cases?

Lets talk defense...

Block doesn't apply to hunters and it seems like critical defense and incoming healing also are not for us (mine are all zero)

Then the three stats for Damage source are also zero and maybe not even used anymore??

That leaves us with:

- Resistance
    - Parry
    - Evade
    - Physical Mitigation
    - Tactical Mitigation

Is that correct?

First question:

What is Resistance and how does it relate to Physical and Tactical Mitigation?

For example, my Resistance stat is 6,389 and it says 15% chance to avoid all effects.

Physical Mitigation is 9,614 and says 37.8% reduction in incoming damage
    Tactical Mitigation is 5,831and says 28.2% reduction in incoming damage

One way to read this is I avoid 15% of all attacks and then if its physical I reduce the damage by 37.8% or if its tactical then reduce it by 28.2%.

Is this correct?

Now we come to Parry and Evade.

I assume these are independent stats. Mine stats are:
    Parry 5,644 (it says 16.3% to avoid attack and 4.8% to partially avoid. The partial avoid reduces damage by 34.3%)

Evade 7,218 (it says 16.8% to avoid attack and 6.0% to partially avoid. The partial avoid reduces damage by 35.0%)

How do these stack? is my chance to avoid 15% + 16.3% + 16.8% or is it (1 - (0.85 * 0.837 * 0.832)) * 100?

Also, is there some caps working here? For example, is reduction of damage on a partial evade/parry capped at 35%.

As you can see, I'm a little confused in the defense area.

Savin

Quote Originally Posted by SavinDwarf View Post
    I've been looking at how things work for hunter's from a defensive point of view. My conclusion is that we should ignore Might and will and totally stick to Agility, Vitality and Fate with the main emphasis on Agility. Does everyone agree with this?
    Yes.

Armor seems to be pretty important for defense so its worth focusing on armor and, it appears, that LOTRO have not given us many tough choices such as some armor with less armor value but higher agility/vitality. So basically we get the best armor we can that has agility as a main stat. Is this about correct? Or are there some tough tradeoff cases?
    Don't worry too much about armour value. As long as you're wearing an armour set from the current level cap, you're probably fine on the armour value.

Block doesn't apply to hunters and it seems like critical defense and incoming healing also are not for us (mine are all zero)
    Correct on block, not so much on the other two. It's not as common to have crit defense or incoming healing on a non-tank class but it's definitely still helpful. There is a really nice relic of some sort for LIs with crit and incoming healing and one of the best hunter necklaces has a good amount of crit defense. Definitely don't stack these numbers high, but if you have a chance to grab some without dropping something else, go for it.

Then the three stats for Damage source are also zero and maybe not even used anymore??
    They're still used, but in more abstract methods. A captain has a couple of skills (Shield Brother To Arms and Shield of the Dunedain) that when used will lower incoming damage, and that increases the % (but not the rating) of those. Audacity (a Moors stat) also raises those numbers (but again, just the %s, not the actual rating).

What is Resistance and how does it relate to Physical and Tactical Mitigation?
    A better comparison would be between Resistance and Block/Parry/Evade. Block/Parry/Evade gives you a chance to avoid a physical source attack (a sword or a bow) whereas resistance will offer the chance to avoid a tactical source attack (spells of some manner, like a dragon's fire breath). It's a little confusing, because a physical source attack can still be a tactical type attack, if the sword does fire damage.

Resist also offers the chance to prevent DoTs (such as a wound damage over time) from ticking, or from being placed on you at all. That also extends to resisting silences that happen in various places (such as the water in Fornost or being close to the center Saruman in Orthanc).

How do these stack? is my chance to avoid 15% + 16.3% + 16.8% or is it (1 - (0.85 * 0.837 * 0.832)) * 100?
    Not clear on how exactly the partials work, you'll want to talk to a better tank than I about that, but raw avoidances are additive. If your parry is 15% and your evade is 25%, that's a 40% chance to fully avoid an attack in some manner, providing the source is physical (and for parry, there are other restrictions, like that you have to be facing your enemy, and I believe the attack has to be a melee attack).

Also, is there some caps working here? For example, is reduction of damage on a partial evade/parry capped at 35%.
    Raw avoidances (parry and evade) will cap at 25%. You could in theory get your parry to 27% since you can dual wield swords, and each sword offers a 1% parry boost that will exceed the cap. For the record, any raw percent given to you for anything will always be able to exceed whatever cap is in place. Ratings will not.

My partial parry reduction on my captain is at like 65%, so there may be a cap on partial chance or mitigation, but it's higher than 35% for sure.