We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. #1

    Focus - How it Works?

    Below is my understanding of how focus works (from a Hunters Perspective and level 85). Please let me know what I get wrong:

    Maximum Focus: 9.

    There are two MAIN ways to quickly add focus:
    1) Out of combat - Improved focus. This will get you to Max Focus in about 3 seconds if you are at zero.
    2) In combat - Intent Concentration. Adds 9 to Focus (MAX) but has a 3 minute cool down)
    3) In combat - Stance Precision. Adds one focus every 5 seconds.

    Out of Combat Focus Loss.
    Focus slowly drops out of combat as a function of time, BUT running will make it drop at about the rate of 1 Focus point every 2 seconds.

    In combat.
    In combat the major drivers of focus are skills used during combat. Some add focus, some use focus.

    Ranged Skills
    Adds Focus:
    +1 Improved Quick shot. (but only a 30% chance to apply??)
    +1 Barbed Arrow
    +1 Bards Arrow
    +1 Improved Split Shot
    +1 Improved Distracting Shot
    +2 Improved Swift Bow

    Removes Focus
    -6 Improved Merciful Shot
    -6 Rain of Thorns
    -1 Hunters Art
    -3 Rain of Arrows
    -3 Blood Arrow
    -3 Improved Penetrating Shot
    -6 Fleetness ... but focus loss for movement for 30 seconds.

    Melee Skills
    Adds Focus
    +3 Blindside
    Special: Improved Scourging Blow makes the next Barbed Arrow use no Focus but times out if not used within 9 seconds.


    Why Focus is Important
    Because if you run out of focus then you can't use any skill that removes focus.

    Based on the above there seems to be two main tactics for focus.

    1) Stay at range and use a sequence that means you are adding as much as you are using for Focus.
    2) Get into melee range so that you can use Blindside and perhaps improved scourging blow to help focus use.

    OK!!
    Let me know what is wrong with the above. Please note I deliberately did not talk about induction times and power cost in the above. I want to make sure I understand Focus first LOL.

    Feel free to tell me want needs to be fixed.

    Savin

  2. #2
    Sav,
    a few things about focus:
    Focus represents the "concentration" aspects about firing a bow, which means that by getting focused you can use skills that do significant damage.
    To get focus, you do two things: stand still and be successful in your hits.
    For the first aspect, you must stand still: you cannot run around and fire arrows. You can only be "mobile" by using improved fleetness, which is a legendary capstone trait (you need to slot 5 blues to slot fleetness trait). Normal fleetness is plainly useless.
    If you trait 5 blues + improved fleetness + precision stance you should be able to have almost infinite focus, and be able to spam penetrating shots and other instant cast skills without pause.
    For the second aspect, you need to build focus through induction skills (swift bow, quick shot, barbed arrow).
    So, this leads to another important part in playing a hunter, which is skill rotation.
    Rotation is important to build focus, keep a steady dps and maintain a reserve of power.
    I won't be suggesting a rotation, since it is inherent to your style of playing.
    However I suggest you try different builds and rotations and see what maximise your dps.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    4,084
    Quick shot always adds 1 focus. The improved version has a 30% chance to add 1 additional focus.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Hamilton, NY
    Posts
    3,699
    Quote Originally Posted by SavinDwarf View Post
    Out of Combat Focus Loss.
    Focus slowly drops out of combat as a function of time, BUT running will make it drop at about the rate of 1 Focus point every 2 seconds.
    Just wanna note that you'll lose Focus when running whether in or out of combat, and that if not traited a specific way you'll lose it faster. (I believe Blue line gives you ~2 seconds of movement before you lose any.)

    +1 Improved Quick shot. (but only a 30% chance to apply??)
    Quick Shot will always award at least one focus. There's a 30-50% chance for it to apply an additional point of Focus. (Should be +30% for the Improved Version and +20% if you're 4-deep into blue line.)

    +1 Improved Split Shot
    +1 Focus per target hit actually. I believe the initial (non-improved) skill is +1 per skill use instead of target hit.

    -6 Improved Merciful Shot
    Can be lowered using the Swift Mercy trait. Most people don't bother with Merciful Shot though.

    -3 Blood Arrow
    -3 Improved Penetrating Shot
    Can be lowered to -2 each with a couple of armour sets. Those armour sets tend to be the most popular ones.

    -6 Fleetness ... but focus loss for movement for 30 seconds.
    Regular Fleetness will only last for 15 seconds. Improved Fleetness lasts for 30 seconds, and also regenerates the focus cost over the duration of the skill. (+1 Focus every 5 seconds for 30 seconds.)

    Special: Improved Scourging Blow makes the next Barbed Arrow use no Focus but times out if not used within 9 seconds.
    Improved Scourging Blow removes the induction cost of the next Barbed Arrow. It's an induction skill so it doesn't cost any focus to use.


    Why Focus is Important
    Because if you run out of focus then you can't use any skill that removes focus.
    Essentially, you want focus because your focus skills can be fired off much faster than your induction skills and tend to hit harder on average than induction skills will.

    Based on the above there seems to be two main tactics for focus.

    1) Stay at range and use a sequence that means you are adding as much as you are using for Focus.
    2) Get into melee range so that you can use Blindside and perhaps improved scourging blow to help focus use.
    Staying in melee range is fine for soloing (it's gonna happen anyway) but you'll usually want to stay at range for group content. Also keep in mind that ranged autoattacks will do more damage than melee ones will (and that autoattacks contribute a lot more to your DPS than you probably think they do).

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    13

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by TinDragon View Post
    Just wanna note that you'll lose Focus when running whether in or out of combat, and that if not traited a specific way you'll lose it faster. (I believe Blue line gives you ~2 seconds of movement before you lose any.)


    Quick Shot will always award at least one focus. There's a 30-50% chance for it to apply an additional point of Focus. (Should be +30% for the Improved Version and +20% if you're 4-deep into blue line.)


    +1 Focus per target hit actually. I believe the initial (non-improved) skill is +1 per skill use instead of target hit.


    Can be lowered using the Swift Mercy trait. Most people don't bother with Merciful Shot though.


    Can be lowered to -2 each with a couple of armour sets. Those armour sets tend to be the most popular ones.


    Regular Fleetness will only last for 15 seconds. Improved Fleetness lasts for 30 seconds, and also regenerates the focus cost over the duration of the skill. (+1 Focus every 5 seconds for 30 seconds.)


    Improved Scourging Blow removes the induction cost of the next Barbed Arrow. It's an induction skill so it doesn't cost any focus to use.



    Essentially, you want focus because your focus skills can be fired off much faster than your induction skills and tend to hit harder on average than induction skills will.


    Staying in melee range is fine for soloing (it's gonna happen anyway) but you'll usually want to stay at range for group content. Also keep in mind that ranged autoattacks will do more damage than melee ones will (and that autoattacks contribute a lot more to your DPS than you probably think they do).


    He covered it all pretty much. +rep good sir.
    1 pretty important thing i would like to add is that one of our blue class traits: Deadly Precision makes ALL bow skills add +1 focus if they crit. (even skills which cost focus like pen shot). And thats about it.
    [IMG]http://i59.tinypic.com/2j5ider.jpg[/IMG]

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload