We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Dumb dwarf in elven hunter body -- seeks advice... URGENTLY!!

I've got an elven hunter, but on the inside I'm all dwarf tank LOL! Somehow I've managed to get my hunter to level 85 but to be honest I have no real idea what I'm doing (what can you expect from a dwarf that loves to run off cliffs and see how long it takes to die!!)

I need help with the basics. I have lots of gear, I have jewelry, and I'll have almost all my class/race traits. I can read what they say. I see words like "inductions", "physical this", "tactical that", agility, fate, will, etc. I'm also bright enough to know that something changed in the last month because I'm getting more damage and maybe doing less damage than I was before. Can someone please point me to something that explains: (BTW surprising the dumb dwarf is OK with mathematics?)

1) What do the things like Agility, will, fate, might etc. do?
    2) What do the words that turn up as stat bonuses really mean (inductions, tactical mastery, whatever, with all those wonderful percentages and numbers.

Up to now I've been picking things because it sounds good and hunches. But... it might help to understand the stats world now.

My current base stats at the moment are about 7700 morale, 5400 power, and the thing that everyone says is important to damage for a hunter is about 17,000 (can't remember name). My agility is about 1,680.
    PLEASE HELP!!!
    BTW I ended up focusing on just 5 virtues -- good news is they are all at 16 (yeah!!), bad news is they are probably not a great choice for a hunter and nothing else is over 8 so I need to start raising the other ones .. But which ones.

Also, if it’s not been done yet, I promise to get all the info organized and post a single nice thread back that explains everything.

Savin the Dwarf,

Short of stature,
    Short on brains,
    Long on loyalty

PS. Anyone that doesn't help me I promise to trackdown and trick you into including me on a raid and then I will make you suffer with my ignorance!!

Oh my Oh my !!

So i was on the way take all my english knowing and give you some advice... but glad i was reading first till the end of the story!!
    i can imagine you hunting me down ( Impossible im playing on a German server ) and second thing is i am affraid of Dwarves they smell are loud and drink to much beer
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/2a22300000028f53c/01006/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by SavinDwarf View Post
    dwarf in elven hunter body
    I quit reading right after this impossibility.... A dwarf wouldn't fit.

Notwithstanding the threat, I will try to answer to your questions in the simplest way.
    However, I suggest reading some guides to playing a hunter that you can find in the forum and in the net.

1) What do the things like Agility, will, fate, might etc. do?
    Agility, will, fate, might and vitality are your toon's main statistics.
    Vitality has a direct relationship to morale (your life points) and to resistances and mitigations (resistance and reduction of damages)
    Agility has a direct relationship to physical mastery, which is your hunter ability to generate damages
    Fate has a relationship to critical rating (the ability to generate critical and devastating damages) and in-combar power (your ability points) regeneration
    Will influences tactical mastery (ability to generate "magical" damages) and your power pool
    Might has a relationship to physical resistance

For a hunter, the priority is: Agility, vitality, fate - the others are marginal

2) The hunter is a class that focuses on ranged damage. As it is built, it has limited mobility (because it generates focus by standing still) and has skills with long inductions (the time required to "fire" the skill).
    The damage your hunter will do is affected by:
    - physical mastery: base damage
    - critical rating: ability to score critical and devastating hits
    - finesse: ability to reduce opponent's mitigations
    - your rotation: the sequence of skill you will use. Some skill have long inductions (Swift bow), some requires focus (penetrating shot), all require power
    - your stance: strenght, precision, endurance
    The damage is measured by the term DPS (damage per second of fight).

As for the virtues, these are some additional bonuses to your statistics.
    In general, you should favour virtues that affect agility (in reality there aren't any interesting ones), vitality and tactical mitigation (reduction of "magical" damages).

In terms of stats: 7700 morale is good if unbuffed, but your 1680 agility is way too low.
    It should be above 2000 and physical mastery above 30,000.

I hope to have given you a very quick and simple guide to the hunter.
    I renew the suggestion to study the several guides available on the forums, such as Pariah's one.

Faenordal,

Thanks for the suggestions and comments. When I started playing LOTRO I decided to play from a RP point of view and not read any details and try and do things by instinct. But at level 85 and whatever the last respec did I now feel I need to get more facts. I'm looking for something that says:
    1) How all the stats interrelate
    2) What each stat does in combat
    3) Exactly explains all the terms used
    4) has a little mathematics behind the explanations, For example: Physical Mastery is calculated as (agility * XX) +(fate * ) etc
    5) Discusses stats caps

I can't find anything or at least not without going to 40 different posts and doubting if even 30% are accurate all up to date.

Any idea where I can find something like that?

Savin

OP, I was in a similar situation as you until a couple of months ago. I've been playing this game since early 2009 and my Hunter was one of the earliest characters I created, but most of my time and attention went into other toons like my guard and minstrel. On my hunter I was stumbling along without giving the class much thought. In January my hunter was in the low 70's and really struggling, basic landscape quests were getting difficult, and I'd done those same quests before multiple times on other toons without having as much trouble as my Hunter was having.

So I stopped and thought about what I was doing with my Hunter, especially what I was doing wrong that was causing me to have that much trouble.

The virtues I was using were rubbish, so that was the first thing to be fixed. My priorities became damage mitigation (physical and tactical), resistance, armor (more mitigation) and morale. Straight away things started getting easier for me. I still have work to do to catch up with my virtues, but the difference after I made those changes was clearly noticable.

The next point was that I wasn't using my skills well, I didn't understand "focus", or how to build and use it properly. Then I read CWood's "Focus Burn 101" post and the clouds parted for me. http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.p...Focus-Burn-101

This is not "hunter basics for newbies" stuff, it's more intermediate-advanced level, and I make no claim that I've became some kind of "god of the bow", but after reading that post I am far less of a bumbling pew-pew fool than I used to be. I still have a fair amount to learn about playing my Hunter well, but I have improved noticably. At the moment I'm holding my Hunter at level 75 (I'm using the xp disabling pocket item from the LOTRO store) while I catch up on my virtues and the few remaining class deeds, experiement with class trait combinations and develop a better understanding of my Hunter.
    Therina - Hobbit Guard Rongo - Hobbit Warden
    Frood - Man Minstrel Garmun - Man Captain
    Zorosi - Dwarf Champ Froodaroon - Elf Hunter
    Southern Defenders - Arkenstone (formerly Elendilmir)

Faenordal,

Thanks for the suggestions and comments. When I started playing LOTRO I decided to play from a RP point of view and not read any details and try and do things by instinct. But at level 85 and whatever the last respec did I now feel I need to get more facts. I'm looking for something that says:
    1) How all the stats interrelate
    2) What each stat does in combat
    3) Exactly explains all the terms used
    4) has a little mathematics behind the explanations, For example: Physical Mastery is calculated as (agility * XX) +(fate * ) etc
    5) Discusses stats caps

I can't find anything or at least not without going to 40 different posts and doubting if even 30% are accurate all up to date.

Any idea where I can find something like that?

Savin
    1. Not sure what you're after here

2. Vitality increases morale and mitigations, agility damage, critical rating (more damage) , fate - in combat power regen,
    crit rating. Will and might some other stuff thats less useful for hunters.

3. Any terms your struggling with ? Some simple ones from above - mitigations = make incoming damage less, phys mastery= make your dps higher (without needing a better weapon) , crit ratings a bit more difficult but 13 k is the cap that gives the max % against on level mobs for a crit hit ( more damage for no more effort) you can go higher than the "cap" but it stops increasing crit chance but continues with magnitude. The actual % has evaded my.memory at this point.

4. See lotro wiki entry for stats, I could copy n paste but it wouldnt change them. http://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Character_Stats

5. See above mentioned crit cap. Were are a medium.class for armour therefore our mits are capped at 50%. Apart from that the main 5 stats are no longer capped and you can go as high as gear and what not can take you.
    Elendilmir - 95 Hunter Berenthalion - 80ish Burg Berendybuck - baby warden Berenion.

Worst Reaver on the server BerendyBash - R4

Eldarin,

Thx for info,

I was looking (hoping) that there was some very detailed information on how everything works. I found stuff all over the palce and in most bases could immediately7 find issues with the stats as presented. Update 10 definitely changed something big time for me and my previous approach of doing it by feel was fine when I had 85 levels to learn, adjust and tweak.

Anyway,

I think my best bet is to ask a bunch of much more simple questions since there is only a fe3w areas I don't really understand. Thx again.

Sav

Eldarin,

Thx for info,

I was looking (hoping) that there was some very detailed information on how everything works. I found stuff all over the palce and in most bases could immediately7 find issues with the stats as presented. Update 10 definitely changed something big time for me and my previous approach of doing it by feel was fine when I had 85 levels to learn, adjust and tweak.

Anyway,

I think my best bet is to ask a bunch of much more simple questions since there is only a fe3w areas I don't really understand. Thx again.

Sav
    Sorry I didn't help.

From memory in u10 agility stopped adding 1.75 to crit rating down to just 1. Where as fate used to give just one now 2.5. Also there was a crit defense changed too for mobs, you could search the dev diaries for the details on that. So it may be that your criting less and for less. If your using the hytbold set you will have lost the stat bonuses too, combined this could be why you're less successful than you used to be.

Lastly have you been levelling too around the time of the change? I know myself at lvl60 great gear was easy to get barter for first agers etc, but by 75 I had rather terrible quest gear and although my stats had improved, I think the orcs had outpaced my improvement.

Hopefully that helps.
    Last edited by Eldarian_Grace; Apr 21 2013 at 06:21 PM.
    Elendilmir - 95 Hunter Berenthalion - 80ish Burg Berendybuck - baby warden Berenion.

Worst Reaver on the server BerendyBash - R4

Nice troll..........No way this post is for real...If it is, you just bought an account and have no idea what you are doing.... You absolutewly cannot stumble to 85 and know nothing...I am living proof of that lol.

Edit: Read your sceond post, ok that actually makes more sense...
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/062050000001ee3e9/01003/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]