We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Captain vs Warden

Hey there. I'm coming back from a long time break. I only have time to play one class now and I want to create a new character. I'm debating between Warden and Captain. From what I've read in the forums the Captain seems to be less wanted end game than the warden. Rather than asking the pointless "What should I make" question I have a few questions that I'd like someone educated in both to answer to help me reach a decision.

Which of the two can put out more damage when traited for damage?

How much is the damage difference between the two, ie are they close matched or one is far superior?

Which can solo better?

Which can tank better?

What roles to the two usually play in raids and group content?

Which is more effective in PvMP?

What makes the Captain stand out above the Warden?

What makes the Warden stand out above the Captain?

Any final notes on either?

I've only taken both of them to 20 at one time or another. Basically I like the pet for the captain because my high level is a loremaster and I'm use to having a pet. I like the 'lore' of the captain and the feel of it. I'm not too happy with what I've read about the poor dps window from 30-50. I do like support, but I like support that can also do damage. My biggest gripe with Captain is they can only be humans. I 'hate' playing humans in a fantasy world where you can be anything else.

Let's try this:

The Warden

How much is the damage difference between the two, ie are they close matched or one is far superior?
    The Warden is superior

Which can solo better?
    The Warden but Captain is OK too

Which can tank better?
    The Warden

The Captain is a supporter
    The Warden is a tank

I have no idea, but I would guess the warden

He is a group player .. He gets strong when he isn't alone
    He is easy to play

He is (or can be) a loner. His "skillset" doesn't affect your fellowship much.
    He is less easy to play (You really need some time to get him right)

If you like supporter, go with the Captain
    Last edited by Lialix; Apr 18 2013 at 06:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kizunas View Post
    Hey there. I'm coming back from a long time break. I only have time to play one class now and I want to create a new character. I'm debating between Warden and Captain. From what I've read in the forums the Captain seems to be less wanted end game than the warden. Rather than asking the pointless "What should I make" question I have a few questions that I'd like someone educated in both to answer to help me reach a decision.
    I'm not sure where you've been reading that stuff. Captains don't really have an alternative when it comes to end game whereas Wardens can be replaced by either a Guardian for tanking or a Hunter/Champion/Burglar for DPS. Most raids doing content that is not completely trivial will have 2 Captains and 0-2 Wardens.

First and foremost their roles are not easy to compare. Wardens can be tank or DPS while Captains can supply a group with tanking, DPS and/or healing while buffing the group. Wardens especially excel at tanking while Captains are more of a multirole class, it's not impossible to see a Captain tanking a few mobs while healing the group and buffing their DPS at the same time.

Wardens can output higher damage, I'm not sure how big the difference is though. However, Captains is a buffing class, so if you have a group of 5 and wondering which class can add the most DPS to that group as the 6th member, the Captain wins by miles.

Which can solo better?

Which can tank better?
    The Warden is pretty much immortal when soloing. Captain is alright when soloing but it's so much more fun playing a Captain in groups, that's really what they're made for.
    Wardens are way better tanks than Captains, especially because Captains tank-traitline is rather poor at the moment.

The Captain was made for support and Warden will mostly be tank but can also be DPS.

Warden is almost immortal solo and a good Captain can make a group a lot stronger in both damage and survivability.

Buffs and the versatility. Captains can be DPS, healer or tank while buffing the group. Of course the can't do as much DPS/heal/tanking as classes that have one of those roles as primary role, but Captains can still do it pretty well and even maintank or mainheal 6 man instances or t1 raids.

Wardens are very strong in 3-6 mans because of their selfheals, so good Wardens won't even need a healer for most group content. Their aggro skills are the best in the game (though almost no force taunts) and their avoidance buffs are very strong.

I've only taken both of them to 20 at one time or another. Basically I like the pet for the captain because my high level is a loremaster and I'm use to having a pet. I like the 'lore' of the captain and the feel of it. I'm not too happy with what I've read about the poor dps window from 30-50. I do like support, but I like support that can also do damage. My biggest gripe with Captain is they can only be humans. I 'hate' playing humans in a fantasy world where you can be anything else.
    I have Captain as my main with Warden as a close second. I'd have a hard time if I was to pick only one of them, but the group play and versatility of the Captain wins it for me.

Which can solo better?

Which can tank better?

Based on my experience, the warden is more powerful than the Captain in all aspects except support for a group Kuzunas.

And I agree, it's stupid that only men can become Captains. I wanted to be a hobbit Captain so bad ; ;
    Last edited by Jeremi; Apr 18 2013 at 12:29 PM.

From what I've heard, the Warden can put out DPS equivalent of a hunter FYI.
    Maley Oakensage, Captain of Elendilmir

Alas Elendilmir, may you *jingle jangle* forever in the Forgotten West

Quote Originally Posted by Almagnus1 View Post
    From what I've heard, the Warden can put out DPS equivalent of a hunter FYI.
    http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.p...in-DPS-classes

looking at the last couple SS.

hunter vs warden shows hunter is still leagues ahead, even if you considered the time intervals being the same (hunter stops at 1 min, warden stops at 3.5). Note that warden dps is still very respectable, but it's not quite top tier.

Quote Originally Posted by mrfigglesworth View Post
    http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.p...in-DPS-classes

looking at the last couple SS.

hunter vs warden shows hunter is still leagues ahead, even if you considered the time intervals being the same (hunter stops at 1 min, warden stops at 3.5). Note that warden dps is still very respectable, but it's not quite top tier.
    Eh.... at least the warden doesn't die when it gets somethings attention...

Hunters, on the other hand, run around screaming like little girls..... At least the non-elf ones do..... until they explode....

I've heard the sound is like a cat strapped to a cruise missile.....
    Maley Oakensage, Captain of Elendilmir

Alas Elendilmir, may you *jingle jangle* forever in the Forgotten West

Quote Originally Posted by Almagnus1 View Post
    Eh.... at least the warden doesn't die when it gets somethings attention...
    Hunters, on the other hand, run around screaming like little girls..... At least the non-elf ones do..... until they explode....I've heard the sound is like a cat strapped to a cruise missile.....
    As a captain I tend to like when a warden is tanking instead of a guardian. On the other hand for a captain hunters are almost guaranteed cry of vengeance buffs for the group. When I particularly "like" a hunter I tend to "help" by blade-brothering him/her so agro goes for the hunter despite the tank efforts to avoid it- free cry of vengeance buff for the group. most dpsing wardens are noobs or just arriving at level cap alts on their first hytbolt set grind. any group would be better served by taking a dps captain than a dps warden for non-ranged content at least. Now that I heal with a 1h my 2h dps LI has gained much more dpsing legacies for improved a kicking.