We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Thread: RP Kinship??

RP Kinship??

Hello fellow members of Dwarrowdelf!
    I wanted to ask a question, and i'd like some feedback whether you are interested or not. Now, I know that Laurelin and Landroval are the real role-playing servers... but is there anyone else out there who would beinterested in a RP kinship?? Ive been looking to start a kinship, but up until now i didnt really have any ideas... so along with your thoughts could you give me some suggestions. If enough people are interested i will start working on it. Safe travels until next time friends!
    ~~ Wyrac of Dwarrowdelf ~~

Although I have been avoiding kinships (probably due to ignorance), I would be throw my support towards your idea of a role-playing kin. Good luck, and let us know how it is coming along.

A really long and dull Zubzubziggywiggy post that's most likely tl;dr

G'day,,,or maybe it's 'Good day to you Sir',,or maybe 'MaiGovarnon'???

How's it going? This isn't a troll of you Wyrac at all, and in all honesty, whatever floats your boat I guess. This is a really really great game and everyone should play it how they want to play it.

Hi Wyrac, I've been playing this game for a coupla years now and been in a number of kins, played with probably hundreds of people and had a crack at basically everything in Middle Earth at least once, well probaby more than once, but that's besides the point and i'm just rambling and I haven't even got near the purpose of my post yet.

So yeah, coupla years on Dwarrowdelf and played with all kinds of people, but in all that time and with all those people I've very rarely heard people talk about Role Playing. Maybe a dozen times in two years I've heard it come up in conversation and usually someone laughs, someone growls like a warg, someone says "CHARGE!!!" and more people laugh.

I've heard of the Role Playing servers you speak of but never got more than level 10 on a toon on another server to get to know any of the communities there, I like this one too much,,, but once again I digress.

So what I'm asking, and without trying to hijack your thread Wyrac,,, what exactly is Role Playing?? and what would a Role Playing Kin entail? or what would you be looking for Wyrac (or anybody else) in a Role Playing Kin???

Like I said, a few times I've been involved in very short discussions about Role Playing but I've never actually played with or been involved with Role Playing in the game, other than the obvious Role Playing which is what the RPG in MMORPG kinda means, i.e. when I log on this toon I'm a smokin hot Elf chick with a magic stick and a book of spells. I get on my RK and I'm a smokin hot Elf chick with a big magic rock and a bag of little magic rocks. I get on my Burg and i'm an invisible dude with a couple of razors,,,you get the point.

So with that said obviously everyone is role playing in this game to a certain extent. I love my toons and hate to see them die unnecessarilly,,,but the Role Playing your talking about,,are you; actually the toon!? or act like you're actually the toon!? or dress up like the toon while you're sat behind your screen!?

I know i'm sounding condescending but it's not intentional, although I did just say that i'm sounding condescending so I obviously know i'm doing it, but still, I leave that last paragraph in exclamation marks and question marks included. But seriously Myrac, and all other Role Players, i'm not trolling honestly, and I don't want this to turn into a troll thread where everyone starts hating on Role Players or hating on me for taking the piss out of Role Players, because i'm not taking the piss at all,,,I really want to see a discussion started on Role Playing and fill me in,,,and those growling wargs, on what Role Playing actually is.

I have someone in game that quite frequently sends me a tell saying "How are you today Sir?" and I say "G'day, how's it goin'" and she says "Great, just logged in, saw you on, yadda yadda yadda" we chat for a few, she says "Good Hunting Sir" and she's off on her way to wherever it is in Middle Earth she's killin' stuff. I guess if that's Role Playing then that's the closest I got to it so far.

I'm imagining a Role Playing Kin as maybe where when you log in you say some medieval greeting like "Hark! Who goes there?" and then you maybe ride your toons to the Prancing Pony and by an ale from the bar and have a chat to a few of the patrons saying things like "Sweylard Meylon" or "The cun annun hunt at night"??? or maybe you have a ranking system of a King and Queen and Lords and Ladies and stuff like that, and you will say things like "Hail Your Majesty" when the kin leader logs in,, or something to the Queen like "Your bum looks big in that dress" and then the King will order you be flogged or sent into the Great Barrow without your armour or shield or something and all your kinnies will push you in with the tips of their swords and spears,,,, and once you die you re-roll??? I dunno,,,it's all so confusing???

Actually I remember years ago whenever I saw our kin leader in the 21st Hall I used to /kneel before him,,,I think I even called it my little piece of Role Playing, but anyways.

Would a Role Playing Kin organise for large groups of members to run stuff? ,, and at other times small groups of members to get together and go on expeditions throughout Middle Earth and defeat monsters and mayhem. Would one or two be a Dwarves, and a few be Elves, Some Hobbits along for the ride and of course that inferior species called Man? and at times you'll win and other times you'll lose??? Kinda feels familiar even without being in a Role Playing Kin,,,So all I can put it down to is that what makes a Role Playing Kin is the way that you must speek in kin chat or vent or in game voice etc. If I was playing a Dwarf i'd drive everyone mad in vent "BARUK KHAZAD!!!! BARUK KHAZAD!!!! BARUUUUUKKKK KHAZAAAAAD!!!!!" I'd be banned from Dwarf in a heart beat.

But yeah, I think I made the point clear about the purpose of my post :/ ??? I dunno anything about Role Playing but would kind of like to hear everyone that has any knowledge, interest, or curiosity about Role Playing and what it is,,,please let me know and give me your take on what it is, or what you think it is, or what you want it to be???

Like I said earlier Myrac I'm not here trolling you and not here to try to hijack your thread, i've no idea who you are but sitting here and actually reading the forums for the first time in months, you got my cat killed. I'm sure if there are any Role Playing Kins, or Role Players that venture to the forums they'll respond to this and give me some info on Role Playing and you can have a look to see if any of those players/kinships suit your needs So??? what is it?

Think i'll just leave it at that,

Zub
    Last edited by ZiggyWiggy; Apr 19 2013 at 10:40 AM.

lol, zub. Can picture you already behind your computer dressed up as a hot elf chick :P

@Wyric, if you really want to experience RP, you need to go play on Landroval (U.S Based, semi-RP server) or Laurelin (EU Based, Hardcore non-stop RP). While there is nothing stopping you from RP on any server, you will find much more like-minded people on the official RP servers. They still raid and progress characters etc, but they do a lot of their talking in /say. Laurelin even has server restrictions where you can be reported for going out of your way to disrupt RP, and you will never find character names that aren't lore friendly.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0d21600000006cd23/signature.png]Gazwulf[/charsig]

So, what's yer name wi' dat long post, how'd ja know all that 'bout role-playin' wi' out niver doin' it, bud? [/sleezy brigand roleplay]

Anyway, different roleplay kins do things differently. There are some straight dwarf kins out there that try to recreate what the dwarven halls might have been like. For that matter, there are elf kins out there reliving the First and Second Ages in their minds and considering all other races inferior to them. Then there are the hobbits busily eating, drinking, and dancing the night away, and Men doing everything from trading, to stealing, and fighting. So yeah, it is in large part up to the kin (although some groups get the 'cold shoulder' from the better-known rp kins because of the quality/type of their roleplay.) That, of course, is on Laurelin.

And for those interested in roleplay on Dwarrowdelf, feel free to look me up on my hunter, Corendil, when you are on. I have been thinking about getting him into what roleplay I can find on that server, but it will not involve a kin change. My personal roleplay experience spans probably 5 kinships and over 10 characters, running all the way from an Elf who absolutely hates Dourhands in particular and dislikes dwarves in general to a dwarven scribe who spends an inordinate amount of time searching for new quills because some idiot orc or troll broke his last one. Then, of course, I have a few Angmarim characters, a Dourhand, and even a goblin... but I always keep coming back to Elven roleplay because it is, well, Elven.

Anyway, Mae Govanen! Greetings! and, uhm... whatever the dwarven greeting was again! xD

Elym Frebrand/Corendil Frebrand (on Dwarrowdelf)

P.S. Yes, I realize I am answering this something like 7 weeks after the last post, but hopefully this may be of (some) use to somebody all the same (and not something to feed my Elven ego! xD)
    Gimli's First Law of "Let's go!"

"Certainty of death? Small chance of success? What are we waiting for?"

Zub, there are also different levels of roleplaying... Some hardcore RP kinships would ask that you never break character, even in kin chat. For those players, even referring to real life is looked down upon. Others are lighter in nature: Organizing events in which a group or rp'ers get together to share tales of adventure and play songs. If you really want to get a sense of the 'RP scene' in LOTRO, go to Ales and Tales on Landy... The Lonely Mountain Band hosts it at various locations throughout the world. Bands and characters perform songs and poetry they've written, and some regale people with their tales of adventure. There are player 'vendors' who pass around alcohol and tobacco for the audience. Sometimes there are group dances (these are seriously cool to watch). Generally it's text based, but if you ever wanted to roll a dwarf, get in vent, and shout ' BARUK KHAZAD!!' in an Aussie accent... Notify me of it in kin chat, so that I can get into Vent? Pretty please? I haven't RPed in a while, but I'd be totally game: I loved RP events when I was on Landy. I could totally come up with some kind of back story for Lythiea... Some reason for her obsession with dwarves. Let me think upon it.
    [b]Lythiea of Dwarrowdelf[/b], Member of [url=http://dd-asylum.info][b]Asylum[/b][/url] - R8 85 RK
    [b]Alts:[/b] Selenicereus, 85 guard, Castria, 85 cap, Fiordiligi, 82 LM, Minilyth, 75 mini, and Lythfiler, r6 filer.

Quote Originally Posted by ZiggyWiggy View Post
    G'day,,,or maybe it's 'Good day to you Sir',,or maybe 'MaiGovarnon'???

How's it going? This isn't a troll of you Wyrac at all, and in all honesty, whatever floats your boat I guess. This is a really really great game and everyone should play it how they want to play it.

Hi Wyrac, I've been playing this game for a coupla years now and been in a number of kins, played with probably hundreds of people and had a crack at basically everything in Middle Earth at least once, well probaby more than once, but that's besides the point and i'm just rambling and I haven't even got near the purpose of my post yet.

So yeah, coupla years on Dwarrowdelf and played with all kinds of people, but in all that time and with all those people I've very rarely heard people talk about Role Playing. Maybe a dozen times in two years I've heard it come up in conversation and usually someone laughs, someone growls like a warg, someone says "CHARGE!!!" and more people laugh.

I've heard of the Role Playing servers you speak of but never got more than level 10 on a toon on another server to get to know any of the communities there, I like this one too much,,, but once again I digress.

So what I'm asking, and without trying to hijack your thread Wyrac,,, what exactly is Role Playing?? and what would a Role Playing Kin entail? or what would you be looking for Wyrac (or anybody else) in a Role Playing Kin???

Like I said, a few times I've been involved in very short discussions about Role Playing but I've never actually played with or been involved with Role Playing in the game, other than the obvious Role Playing which is what the RPG in MMORPG kinda means, i.e. when I log on this toon I'm a smokin hot Elf chick with a magic stick and a book of spells. I get on my RK and I'm a smokin hot Elf chick with a big magic rock and a bag of little magic rocks. I get on my Burg and i'm an invisible dude with a couple of razors,,,you get the point.

So with that said obviously everyone is role playing in this game to a certain extent. I love my toons and hate to see them die unnecessarilly,,,but the Role Playing your talking about,,are you; actually the toon!? or act like you're actually the toon!? or dress up like the toon while you're sat behind your screen!?

I know i'm sounding condescending but it's not intentional, although I did just say that i'm sounding condescending so I obviously know i'm doing it, but still, I leave that last paragraph in exclamation marks and question marks included. But seriously Myrac, and all other Role Players, i'm not trolling honestly, and I don't want this to turn into a troll thread where everyone starts hating on Role Players or hating on me for taking the piss out of Role Players, because i'm not taking the piss at all,,,I really want to see a discussion started on Role Playing and fill me in,,,and those growling wargs, on what Role Playing actually is.

I have someone in game that quite frequently sends me a tell saying "How are you today Sir?" and I say "G'day, how's it goin'" and she says "Great, just logged in, saw you on, yadda yadda yadda" we chat for a few, she says "Good Hunting Sir" and she's off on her way to wherever it is in Middle Earth she's killin' stuff. I guess if that's Role Playing then that's the closest I got to it so far.

I'm imagining a Role Playing Kin as maybe where when you log in you say some medieval greeting like "Hark! Who goes there?" and then you maybe ride your toons to the Prancing Pony and by an ale from the bar and have a chat to a few of the patrons saying things like "Sweylard Meylon" or "The cun annun hunt at night"??? or maybe you have a ranking system of a King and Queen and Lords and Ladies and stuff like that, and you will say things like "Hail Your Majesty" when the kin leader logs in,, or something to the Queen like "Your bum looks big in that dress" and then the King will order you be flogged or sent into the Great Barrow without your armour or shield or something and all your kinnies will push you in with the tips of their swords and spears,,,, and once you die you re-roll??? I dunno,,,it's all so confusing???

Actually I remember years ago whenever I saw our kin leader in the 21st Hall I used to /kneel before him,,,I think I even called it my little piece of Role Playing, but anyways.

Would a Role Playing Kin organise for large groups of members to run stuff? ,, and at other times small groups of members to get together and go on expeditions throughout Middle Earth and defeat monsters and mayhem. Would one or two be a Dwarves, and a few be Elves, Some Hobbits along for the ride and of course that inferior species called Man? and at times you'll win and other times you'll lose??? Kinda feels familiar even without being in a Role Playing Kin,,,So all I can put it down to is that what makes a Role Playing Kin is the way that you must speek in kin chat or vent or in game voice etc. If I was playing a Dwarf i'd drive everyone mad in vent "BARUK KHAZAD!!!! BARUK KHAZAD!!!! BARUUUUUKKKK KHAZAAAAAD!!!!!" I'd be banned from Dwarf in a heart beat.

But yeah, I think I made the point clear about the purpose of my post :/ ??? I dunno anything about Role Playing but would kind of like to hear everyone that has any knowledge, interest, or curiosity about Role Playing and what it is,,,please let me know and give me your take on what it is, or what you think it is, or what you want it to be???

Like I said earlier Myrac I'm not here trolling you and not here to try to hijack your thread, i've no idea who you are but sitting here and actually reading the forums for the first time in months, you got my cat killed. I'm sure if there are any Role Playing Kins, or Role Players that venture to the forums they'll respond to this and give me some info on Role Playing and you can have a look to see if any of those players/kinships suit your needs So??? what is it?

Think i'll just leave it at that,

Zub

Zub, you're speaking in Ancient Entish....

Hey - thats roll play too ;-)
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0d2160000000ba666/01007/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]