We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

What are the Cappy Buffs

After pouring through this forum I am even more confused so I will start this here.

What are the Captain Group Buffs?
    What are the Captain Solo Buffs?
    What are the Captain Pet Buffs?

And more importantly what ones are necessary and what ones are just there.

Captains can buff ?

-___-

here is some info

[charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/232210000000367e7/01003/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Buffs that can be applied OOC:
    motivating speech: + 5% morale. 10% with legacy. Every captain should have the legacy.
    tactics: critical rating, parry rating, or ICPR. More with legacies. Every captain should have the legacies... Except for ICPR... which is widely accepted to be a terrible buff.
    IDOME (In defense of middle earth) +CLevel to all stats... So +85 to all stats, in other words. Requires a legendary trait.

Captain's have three "brother skills"... Song, shield, and Blade. The buffs change depending on what you are using. In order to use a 'brother' you designate someone ELSE in your group to be your song, blade, or shield bro. Your pet can also be designated. If nobody is set as your "brother", the buffs will not be active. Strength of Will is affected by a legacy.

In addition, the Legendary trait "Fellowship Brother" makes your "brother" skills affect the entire group, at a lesser magnitude.

Strength of Will:
    in shield: +15% incoming healing, group would get +4%.
    in blade: -15% attack duration, group would get -4%. This is an amazing damage buff.
    in song: -10% power costs and healing threat? Who cares what the group gets because this buff sucks.

To Arms: Duration should be 25s with legacy, which every captain can have. Can be 30s with a trait that most captains don't use and hate using. Cooldown is 1m.
    Shield: -15% incoming damage, group would get -4%.
    Blade: +25% outgoing damage, group gets +10%. Yet another great damage buff.
    Song: +25% outgoing healing, group gets +10%.

War-Cry: -15% ad and +5% damage, group-wide. Requires a defeat event. Most captains worth their salt will keep this up 100% of the time.

Banners:
    Hope: Group gets some chunk of morale, fairly significant, most commonly used banner, generally.
    Victory: Group gains power and ICPR.
    War: Group gets +CLevel (85) to might and agility.
    Moors Banner: Group gets huge chunks of physical and tactical mit. Arguably as good or better than the hope banner. Requires rank 8 in pvp.

Shield of the Dunedain: target player gets -75% incoming damage for 15s. 5 minute cd, can be lowered to 3.5min with legacy.
    In Harm's Way: 50% of the damage to the group is redirected to the captain. Can be coupled with last stand, which prevents captain from dying to damage... (Falling and Balrogs can still kill the captain, sadly)

While not technically a buff... Captains have two ways to restore gigantic amounts of power to the entire group. In any given fight a GOOD captain can restore way more power than a lore-master, but it is difficult to restore 1 player's power very quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by DuneBug View Post
    In any given fight a GOOD captain can restore way more power than a lore-master, but it is difficult to restore 1 player's power very quickly.
    ...Huh?

Perhaps you should ask a Loremaster to read you their tooltips and cooldowns on the single target and fellowship Share the Power skills.

Lol.

Circumstantially especially, Cappies can generate a lot of power for a group, but if the LM wants to win that fight you simply don't stand a chance, at all.

Quote Originally Posted by k3nn3th View Post
    ...Huh?

Perhaps you should ask a Loremaster to read you their tooltips and cooldowns on the single target and fellowship Share the Power skills.

Lol.

Circumstantially especially, Cappies can generate a lot of power for a group, but if the LM wants to win that fight you simply don't stand a chance, at all.
    Every single Rally Cry restores power, every single Blade Bro or Song Bro Inspire restores power.

Over the course of the fight, we will restore a lot of power to everyone.... however, it's very distributed. A LM on the other hand, will restore A LOT of power instantaneously to one person. Both work differently, both complement each other really well.
    Maley Oakensage, Captain of Landroval

Alas Elendilmir, may you *jingle jangle* forever in the Forgotten West

Steam: Almagnus1

Yeah... Circumstances. Rallying Cry is really good for when there are lots of defeat responses.

But LM's don't just give power to one person, they have Share the Power - Fellowship, an AOE version of Share the Power.

Neither have a cooldown.

I of course agree, they work really well together.

Yeah... Circumstances. Rallying Cry is really good for when there are lots of defeat responses.

But LM's don't just give power to one person, they have Share the Power - Fellowship, an AOE version of Share the Power.

Neither have a cooldown.

I of course agree, they work really well together.
    Don't underestimate how many defeat responses a good captain can generate over the course of a fight =P

As someone who has both, I'm fairly certain the LM wins, if they want to. However, an LM is only gonna be sharing it if the group needs it, whereas the captain just shares automagically (since it's attached to the AoE heal) so the captain will normally win. (But again, only because the LM isn't actively sharing, since the captain already is.)

...Huh?

Given that I played a lore-master until 85 hit... I don't really need to ask one. The assumption is that a lore-master can restore power very quickly, until they run out.. Then they are forced to drain more... Which puts them into a 25s channel with a 50s cooldown. So yes if the lore-master wants to gimp his effectiveness to the group and spend 50% of his time draining power, it's possible that he might restore more than a captain...

But you're simply under-estimating the effect of group-wide power restores captain's have. And it's part of our normal rotation. If the fight has much trash in it... We will blow you away.

Quote Originally Posted by VanCowboy View Post
    After pouring through this forum I am even more confused so I will start this here.

Captains have several types of buffs: cast, aura, combat, banner, and herald.

Cast buffs are typically cast out of combat (though they can be cast within combat). Motivating Speech is a morale buff that affects the whole fellowship. Tactics buffs (eventually you get 3) are cast on each individual, and can be cast on players outside of the fellowship. These last 30 minutes.

Aura buffs mean that you have them if you are less than a certain distance from the Captain in your fellowship. The legendary trait In Defense of Middle Earth gives the Captain an aura that buffs everyone's primary stats, which is very very nice. (The Captain gets the benefits of the aura too.)

Combat buffs are complex. The Captain can choose ONE player (or pet) in the fellowship for one of (ultimately) 3 Brother skills, which then open up that player (and with traits, possibly the whole fellowship) to other buffs and heals. To Arms and Strength of Will provide different benefits based on the Brother skill in use. Inspire heals the Brother.

In combat, the Captain has a choice of 3 (eventually) reactive skills that are available only after a foe is defeated or off of a crit with some of their other skills. War Cry increases damage and reduces attack duration for the whole fellowship. Ralling Cry heals the whole fellowship (and not a small amount) over time and restores some power. (Routing Cry isn't a buff, but with a trait it can STUN a number of nearby foes.)

In combat, the Captain has a choice of 3 Marks (eventually), one of which can be cast on a foe. Noble Mark increases threat generated by the Captain and can be used for pulling, or when the Captain wants to tank. Telling Mark increases all the damage that the fellowship does to that individual foe. Revealing mark heals each fellowship member for a percentage of the damage that they do, so it's great for healing your DPS folks.

Captains can choose whether to use a Banner or a Herald. A Herald is a human- (or dwarf-) shaped pet that carries one of 3 banners, or an Archer. (Or an eerie ghost, if you slot the right traits and armament.) The Captain can control the pet in combat, have the pet execute special skills. All but the Archer also give morale, power, Might, or other buffs to the entire Fellowship.

If the Captain chooses to use a Banner, they must "drop" it for the fellowship to feel any of its buffs. When the fellowship leaves the area around the banner, the buffs end. Banners are equipped in the Captain's ranged slot and provide the Captain (only) with some buffs even when they're not dropped.

At the beginning some of these may seem like they don't do much. As you gain in levels, they are more significant. I can't think of ANY that I don't use regularly, though when soloing with my Herald I tend to use Blade-Brother pretty exclusively. (Song-brother is for healer types, and Shield-Brother is for tanks.) I also use Tactics: Relentless Attack (increases crits) almost all the time, since crits are so very nice. But everything has its place if you keep your mind and eyes open.
    <<Insert clever sig here>>

With traits and certain equipment, Rally Cry's cooldown can be as low as 6 seconds. Get into a big fight with lots of small things that die (or if you have a lot of crit gear on) and you CAN pop that every 6 to 10 seconds for an amazingly long time. This is the way a Captain main-heals a full fellowship. The best thing is that it's DEAD EASY. All you have to do is pay attention to when the button lights up, then hit it. (Well, and carry power potions.)
    <<Insert clever sig here>>

Quote Originally Posted by Shukar View Post
    With traits and certain equipment, Rally Cry's cooldown can be as low as 6 seconds. Get into a big fight with lots of small things that die (or if you have a lot of crit gear on) and you CAN pop that every 6 to 10 seconds for an amazingly long time. This is the way a Captain main-heals a full fellowship. The best thing is that it's DEAD EASY. All you have to do is pay attention to when the button lights up, then hit it. (Well, and carry power potions.)
    Better yet, you can get Rallying Cry to 0 seconds, yes 0 (2 helegrod, 2 perseverence). I don't do it much myself other than as a lark, though some captains swear by it. I find 6 seconds is more than adequate for most content, and the helegrod armor (lvl 65) has awful stats. In Lonely Mountain you often will have more than 1 defeat per 6 seconds though, between mobs actually dying and your own PA crits.

And yes, LM may have higher potential to distribute power, but at a greater cost to other activities (debuffing, DPS, anti-stun) that they might want to do. Captains keeping rallying cry and BB inspire up is pretty painless. And I've given out upwards of 200 power per second while healing about 2500 HPS in the Flight to Lonely Mountain raid.

Quote Originally Posted by VanCowboy View Post

I guess in the end that depends how you define "buffs".

Usually they refer to our tactical:Buffs though, like Relentless Attack, On Guard, and Focus and our moral bonus. These are rarely "necessary", but do provide nifty little bonuses

Far as I know Captains do not have any Pet-related buffs, though would be cool if we did.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremi View Post
    I guess in the end that depends how you define "buffs".

Usually they refer to our tactical:Buffs though, like Relentless Attack, On Guard, and Focus and our moral bonus. These are rarely "necessary", but do provide nifty little bonuses

Far as I know Captains do not have any Pet-related buffs, though would be cool if we did.
    Um.... Dunebug answered all of that like 3 posts in......