We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Thread: Dwarf Explorer?

Dwarf Explorer?

So im starting my first ever toon that im going to play to end-game (I hope) It's a dwarf Minstrel and every where I look it's pointing towards explorer profession for my first ever or main if you want to call it although I don't plan on making on making alts at all if any 1 just for crafting purposes So I figured Id try and take on the advice but I cant wrap my head around a dwarf cutting logs........ the prospecting part and tailoring im fine with but If some body could prove to me that any dwarfs did this or so it would rest my mind.
    Squirrels Are Mighty. Enough Said.

Quote Originally Posted by Mighty_Squirrel View Post
    I cant wrap my head around a dwarf cutting logs........ the prospecting part and tailoring im fine with but If some body could prove to me that any dwarfs did this or so it would rest my mind.
    Dwarves in Middle Earth never cut logs, because Middle Earth never existed and neither did the Dwarves. Happy?

If you're concerned about whether playing a dwarf that collects wood is lore-breaking then you need to put the game down, go outside, and enjoy life. Seriously, because your skull is going to explode once you see Rune Keepers.

In the meantime, ask yourself this question: did dwarves ever craft anything from wood? Did they ever craft any planks, beams, or scaffolding that might have been used during construction of their underground halls?

Of course they did. But if it bothers you that much you can be an Armourer instead. They get Prospecting and Tailoring (the same as explorers), but instead of Forester they get Metalsmith. Of course then you won't be able to process hides for tailoring...

Dwarves are famed for smithying which presumably means they needed wood to fuel their forges. I guess they could use coal instead, though I can't remember it being mentioned in any of the books.

Also presumably wood is required in many of their tools, utensils and weapons, think arrows, hafts for axes, etc.

Construction scaffolding and mine supports would also require wood.

And there's also Thorin Oakenshield for reference

Well as an Explorer you don't really need to turn the logs of wood into planks. Apart from the craft levelling

You need the Forrester to turn your hides into Leathers for your Tailor

There is nothing stopping you from collecting the Logs of Wood and selling them on the AH or Trade Channel
    I'm pretty sure there are some Woodsmen about who are too lazy to go get their own logs

Same with the Prospecting side
    You have no use for the ingots, but they do make good for selling on AH or Trade
    HAF-X | ROG Crosshair V Formula Z | AMD FX 9370 4.4Ghz Black | 32Gb RAM | R9 290 4Gb (x2) | LG BD-RE | 500GB Samsung 850 EVO 550/540 SSD | Win10 Pro | WEI - 8.5

Should be no lore-breaking problems for you here, as Dwarves have a long history of cutting down trees. In fact, when the dwarves were first made by the Vala Aulë, Yavanna foresaw that “many a tree shall feel the bite of their iron without pity.” (The Silmarillion, Chapter 2: Of Aulë and Yavanna). So chop away my friend and feel good about it!
    "I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend," Faramir in TTT by JRRT.

And from the Two Towers:

Gimli at the Battle of Helm's Deep "Till now I have hewn naught but wood since I left Moria".
    "If simple folk are free from care and fear, simple they will be, and we must be kept secret to keep them so."

Again, no problem. Aule "never the less, they will have need of wood" (speaking to Yavanna after he finds out that she just got permission to send out spirits to protect the forests [read as "Ents"])

Even if there was a problem, this is more of a roleplaying issue, so unless you are a roleplayer(which you probably are) there would be no problem). I hesitate to mention is, but there is a roleplaying forum for issues specific to role playing, which would be a better place for an issue like this next time, but not really concerned about it, as both forums deal directly with the lore. The difference is that this one works with it as a whole while the other is applying it to characters, kind of like the difference between theoretical and applied mathematics, metaphysics and ethics, philology and linguistics, and electronics and electrical engineering.
    Lore-Monkey(not a Lore Guardian) and proud of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mellonbeleg View Post
    Again, no problem. Aule "never the less, they will have need of wood" (speaking to Yavanna after he finds out that she just got permission to send out spirits to protect the forests [read as "Ents"])

Even if there was a problem, this is more of a roleplaying issue, so unless you are a roleplayer(which you probably are) there would be no problem). I hesitate to mention is, but there is a roleplaying forum for issues specific to role playing, which would be a better place for an issue like this next time, but not really concerned about it, as both forums deal directly with the lore. The difference is that this one works with it as a whole while the other is applying it to characters, kind of like the difference between theoretical and applied mathematics, metaphysics and ethics, philology and linguistics, and electronics and electrical engineering.
    The mentioned piece of dialogue is in my signature!
    "'Nonetheless they will have need of wood', said Aulë and he went on with his smith-work."