We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

The Fires of Smaug T2 Walkthrough

Hello All,

I am sharing my walkthrough of this raid with you. Please keep in mind that there is always more than one way to skin a cat and by no means am I suggesting that this is "THE WAY."

The Fires of Smaug

This is a raid that takes coordination and the ability to follow instructions. It is a race against time, yet patience is key.

Group Makeup (suggested)

VALVE GROUP

• 2 People of any class

RANGED DPS GROUP

• 5 People (Combo of Htrs, RKs, LM, or Minis). Max DPS is a must !!!

MELEE DPS / VALVES WHEN NEEDED

• 3 People (1 Captain and 2 Champs/Wardens)

The healers and tank will comprise the rest of the raid.

MECHANICS:

- There is a timer (yellow bar) and a smoke meter (red bar). If either run out before the boss is dead you fail the quest.

- Every 5% of the boss's health the valves (one top and one bottom) open 2 notches each and release smoke.

- Every 10% of the boss's health ads spawn (90%, 80%, 70%, etc ...)

- Every 25% of the boss's health a Fire Tender spawns and heals the boss (at 75%, 50%, 25%). The Fire Tender also reflects damage. The Fire Tender opens all valves.
    - Only focussing on the valves on the left side of the instance (top and bottom). Leave the ones on the right side alone.

START OF BATTLE:

A Hunter starts the battle (a bubble on them or do not fall is very helpful).

The Tank grabs the adds. 1 MINI and 1 OFF HEAL stay on the Tank.

At the start the VALVE GROUP and the MELEE DPS GROUP along with a few from the RANGED DPS GROUP will start at the levers and pull them all until closed.

The RANGED DPS GROUP will will burn the boss to 96% health and STOP - switch to ads.

Once the levers are closed the MELEE GROUP burns the adds and the RANGED GROUP takes the boss to 91% and STOPS.
    The "Start of the Battle" has been completed.

REST OF BATTLE

PHASE GROUP ACTIONS BOSS'S HEALTH VALVES OPEN
    PHASE 1 SEE START OF BATTLE (ABOVE) 100% - 91% 10
    PHASE 2 RANGED GROUP burns the boss to 86% and STOPS; switch to ads.

MELEE GROUP burns the new ads that come at 90% health.

VALVE GROUP closes the valves.
    91% - 86% 4
    PHASE 3 RANGED GROUP - Boss to 76% health and STOPS; switch to ads.

MELEE GROUP on ads that spawn at 80%.
    86% - 76% 4
    FIRE TENDER
    (All Valves Open)
    RANGED GROUP - Boss to 75% and STOP. FIRE TENDER SPAWNS.

RANGED AND MELEE on FIRE TENDER until dead.
    RANGED GROUP on ads after Fire Tender is dead.

VALVE GROUP closes the valves (MELEE GROUP assist).
    75% 10
    PHASE 4 RANGED GROUP - Boss to 70% health and STOPS; switch to ads.

MELEE GROUP on ads that spawn at 70%.
    ? - 70% 4
    PHASE 5 RANGED GROUP - Boss to 65% health and STOPS; switch to ads.

MELEE GROUP on ads that spawn at 70%.
    70% - 65% 4
    PHASE 6 RANGED GROUP - Boss to 60% health and STOPS; switch to ads.

MELEE GROUP on ads that spawn at 60%.
    65% - 60% 4
    PHASE 7 RANGED GROUP - Boss to 51% health and STOPS; switch to ads.

MELEE GROUP on ads that spawn at 60%.
    60% - 51% 4
    FIRE TENDER
    (All Valves Open)
    ADS
    RANGED GROUP - Boss to 50% and STOP. FIRE TENDER SPAWNS.

50% 10
    PHASE 9 RANGED GROUP - Boss to 45% health and STOPS; switch to ads.

MELEE GROUP on ads that spawn at 50%.
    ? - 45% 4
    PHASE 10 RANGED GROUP - Boss to 40% health and STOPS; switch to ads.

MELEE GROUP on ads that spawn at 40%.
    45% - 40% 4
    PHASE 11 RANGED GROUP - Boss to 35% health and STOPS; switch to ads.

MELEE GROUP on ads that spawn at 40%.
    40% - 35% 4
    PHASE 12 RANGED GROUP - Boss to 30% health and STOPS; switch to ads.

MELEE GROUP on ads that spawn at 30%.
    35% - 30% 4
    PHASE 13 RANGED GROUP - Boss to 26% health and STOPS; switch to ads.

MELEE GROUP on ads that spawn at 30%.
    30% - 26% 4
    FIRE TENDER
    (All Valves Open)
    RANGED GROUP - Boss to 25% and STOP. FIRE TENDER SPAWNS.

25% 10
    PHASE 14 RANGED GROUP - Boss to 20% health and STOPS; switch to ads.

MELEE GROUP on ads that spawn at 20%.
    ? - 20% 4
    PHASE 15 RANGED GROUP - Boss to 15% health and STOPS; switch to ads.

MELEE GROUP on ads that spawn at 20%.
    20% - 15% 4
    PHASE 16 RANGED GROUP - Boss to 10% health and STOPS; switch to ads.

MELEE GROUP on ads that spawn at 10%.
    15% - 10% 4
    PHASE 17 RANGED GROUP - Boss to 5% health and STOPS; switch to ads.

10% - 5% 4
    FINAL PHASE RANGED GROUP - Burn the boss to zero.

5% - 0% 0

BUGGED VALVES
    There are reports of the valves being bugged.

(SEE HERE)

This particular strategy to avoid the bug seems sound:

I think it might be due to the fire tender bumping up the morale of the grim which then gets DPSed down again past the 5% threshold again.

For example, Grim gets to 75% valves open +2, you close them then kill the adds and fire tender. In the mean time the fire tender has healed the grim to 81%. As you then DPS it down past 80% the graphics incorrectly show the valve is open +2 when actually is is still closed, same again at 75%. By the time the DPS get it to 70% when it actually opens the graphics might incorrectly show its fully open.

We avoid this by closing 2 valves at 80%, then not closing at 75%, instead we kill the fire tender and adds, then all 5 close bottom and top (as you do at the start of the instance) which sorts out the graphics glitch.

~ Dadi (Meneldor) Rare Breed Kinship
    Last edited by Proudcdn; Apr 14 2013 at 09:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Proudcdn View Post
    - Every 25% of the boss's health a Fire Tender spawns and heals the boss (at 75%, 50%, 25%). The Fire Tender also reflects damage. The Fire Tender opens all valves.
    I would like to point out that I have run the instance many times on T1 and T2 and from my experience the Tender does NOT force open the valves the whole way (5 steps). What usually happens is people aren't closing the valves at the tenders morale thresholds (since everyone runs back to the boss after valves are closed), which means when you hit those 5% sections they pop open by 2, then pop open another step every 30 seconds after that (regardless of the last time they were actually closed). So in just one minute they would be opened to 4, and in 1.5 mins opened the full way. Considering that certain groups might take as much as a minute to kill him (we were doing it in 45 seconds pretty regularly when I timed it), most groups will see the valves fully opened after you kill them and make it back to the valves (which takes 15-25 seconds after he's dead, so that's usually when the last valve step will happen).

If you leave behind the valve closers for the Tender stage, have them close it immediately when the Tender spawns, you'll have an additional 90s before they reopen.

Funny to read your strat and realize just how many possibilities there are for strats for this instance. It's not too tough but the fact that it's so open to interpretation makes it pretty cool.

An alternate strat that I really like:

Only do half the instance. If you are on the ball with valves, you can completely ignore one entire side of the room and only do valves on one side. You have I think ~10 units of smoke leeway, but this allows you to bring only one tank and only worry about adds on one side of the room. With a really good group this makes for quick T2 runs, and with a PUG it means less coordination to worry about. You have to be more careful about valves on the side you do cover, but with all 12 raid members on one side that shouldn't be too much trouble. This also allows you to stack some extra ranged DPS in PUGs that are somewhat lacking in this department and have trouble bringing down the tender/knocking the grim back down after the tender has healed it up some.

EDIT: In case it wasn't clear, the above strategy I just outlined will not work at all for Challenge, just a vanilla T2 clear.
    Last edited by Gylve; Apr 15 2013 at 01:12 PM.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0620500000019dccb/01001/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Ulver - 85 Runekeeper | Grevling - 85 Burglar

Quote Originally Posted by Gylve View Post
    Funny to read your strat and realize just how many possibilities there are for strats for this instance. It's not too tough but the fact that it's so open to interpretation makes it pretty cool.

An alternate strat that I really like:

Only do half the instance. If you are on the ball with valves, you can completely ignore one entire side of the room and only do valves on one side. You have I think ~10 units of smoke leeway, but this allows you to bring only one tank and only worry about adds on one side of the room. With a really good group this makes for quick T2 runs, and with a PUG it means less coordination to worry about. You have to be more careful about valves on the side you do cover, but with all 12 raid members on one side that shouldn't be too much trouble. This also allows you to stack some extra ranged DPS in PUGs that are somewhat lacking in this department and have trouble bringing down the tender/knocking the grim back down after the tender has healed it up some.

EDIT: In case it wasn't clear, the above strategy I just outlined will not work at all for Challenge, just a vanilla T2 clear.
    You must not have read the strategy in the first post. He describes exactly what you said...

Quote Originally Posted by Proudcdn
    - Only focussing on the valves on the left side of the instance (top and bottom). Leave the ones on the right side alone.
    Chromite/Grumbletocks/Grumbletunes/Schrade on Landroval, Chromite on Arkenstone, Appendage on Brandywine

Ah, silly me, I didn't see that line and was confused about the exact group makeup since he lists 10 people explicitly then goes on to say "healers and tank" for the rest...I thought the "ranged DPS group" was just general for raid-wide ranged DPS and the strat was the "normal" one where you open valves on both sides.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0620500000019dccb/01001/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Ulver - 85 Runekeeper | Grevling - 85 Burglar