We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Ive never Healed or rolled a Mini Before Advice please.

Hi So the tittle says alot but the fact of me never rolling a minstrel is kind of false The highest ive gotten is lvl 14 and I enjoyed Him ALOT but The idea of being responsible for ballads and healing at the same time in groups (at least thats the response I got from my other thread) seemed overwhelming I tried DPS champion & hunter, support Lm and cappy I ddint enjoy any especially having to manage a pet as well was quite frustrating when he pulled aggro I didn't want then died, so im going to give it a second try.

But any ways if you guys could give me tips like shaking off aggro what are the best heals, traits when grouped and soloing would be appreciated as well how to get used to the Healing groups feeling (like what skills to try and learn effectively first ect).

Also this is for any DWARF minis I really would like to roll an dwarf mini (whats cooler than a dwarf killing stuff with his bagpipes? nothing I know). but the idea of an dwarf without an legendary axe is quite off putting so what weapons do you use in replacement?

I understand that explore would be the best profession but a dwarf exploring things erm.... Just doesn't feel right so id roll a tinker is that an right decision?

Finally IM HORRIBLE at music in real life and dread having to go to that class every time would that effect my skills to be able to play this class? since it is instrument based.

Thanks for all your help and advice in advance.
    Last edited by Mighty_Squirrel; Apr 13 2013 at 02:52 AM.
    Squirrels Are Mighty. Enough Said.

Hello,

I have a dwarf minstrel since the start of the game, so I might be able to help you out a bit.

You do not have to have any musical knowledge or be able to play anything music-wise; that is just pure 'cosmetic'. It would be a nice idea for Turbine (or any other game) to make such a system in the future, though!

It's just the skills you use, that do damage to or heal your selected target.

For levelling, you will spend more then 90% of your game in Warspeech. This stance makes you do more damage, but makes you unable to heal others then yourself. The Harmony stance is fairly new, and is the 2nd stance a minstrel can take: you do a bit more damage then without a stance, and still can heal others; that might be nice to explore for you and get used to; although it is not much used by other minstrels.

You do not have to worry alot about the anthems or threat when levelling, but I can give a tip for when you are in a group and have to heal.

Of the 3 ballads you can perform in combat, 1 is a healing ballad (when not in Warspeech). It heals yourself a small bit and increases your overall healing during the fight, but more important: after 3 times using it, it opens the Anthems.

During those few seconds (5 or 6 seconds) in the fight, the others should have enough agro, and the monsters won't bother you much. So you can use an Anthem now. Anthem of War is used much, which gives your whole fellowship more damage dealing.

Anthem of war is only active for a time period AND stops when you do a Coda; so don't use the Coda after this, just start healing a bit with Inspire fellows, or Raise the Spirit (or Bolster Courage later too).

If you run out of power frequently (does not happen much anymore) you can use Anthem of Composure sometimes too. This gives the fellowship a better defence, but even better: After using a Coda, it gives you power back.

so, basicly; 3 times the Ballad, Anthem of war, wait a bit until someone needs heals, heal, Anthem again, maybe use a Coda to give an extra heal or power back.

To loose threat/agro: there is an Anthem for that too. There are lute strings (items) you can use to get less agro. You can also 'feign death' and later in the game use a skill that draws less attention. But basicly just go ahead and blame the dps or tank for being too slow

If you run into the problem a few times, maybe try to wait a few seconds before you start healing.

There is alot more to playing minstrel, but I hope this helps a bit on getting you started.

For the legendary part: On my mincy I have been carrying a sword almost always, just because it looks nicer. There is not much difference in the weapons anymore (there used to be some difference in speed and range in weapons before legendary items were introduced).

Enjoy you minny, and if you happen to play on Eldar: don't be afraid to contact me

First, an overview of Minstrels. their skills, theuir traits, what they all do, when you get them. http://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Minstrel

Ok, so minstrels heal, but is that all they do? Oh, they dps in warspeech stance too. Healing and dps, but not at the same time, that's what minstrels do.

Do minstrels do anything else?

Yes actually, they buff. More in-combat morale regen for the group? There's a buff for that. More dps for the group? There are two buffs for that. More armor rating for the group. There's a buff for that. And more.

Minstrel anthems. The buffs you never know you had.

Anthem of War - level 6. You and the whole group do more dps.
    Anthem of the Free Peoples - level 18. Everyone has higher vitality and higher in combat morale regen.
    Anthem of Prowess - level 20. Everyone has more armor (more damage mitigation), a higher evade chance, and attack skills execute faster (more dps). Attack skills with no inductions benefit the most, attack skills with long inductions benefit less.
    Anthem of Compassion - level 24. Healing generates less threat, not just for you but anyone in the group (eg a captain) who is using heals as well.
    Anthem of the Third Age - level 28. Heals are bigger.
    Anthem of Composure - level 36. Everyone is more resistant to wounds, poison, fear and disease.

So how do you use anthems? First you use three ballads, any three ballads. That will unlock your anthem skills. The you use an anthem. Now you'll have to use three ballads again before you can use another anthem, but there's a catch. ALL anthems share the same cooldown. If you use any anthem, ALL your anthems will go into cooldown before you can use another one. On the plus side, anthems stack, you can have more than one anthem going at the same time, but you cannot stack the same anthem twice, so you cannot have two anthems of war going at the same time, but you can have anthem of war and anthem of prowess going at the same time, and their buffs will stack with each other. All anthems stack with each other, you can have any combination of anthems running at the same time, just not the same anthem stacked with itself.

There are traits that make the anthem cooldown shorter, to make it easier to stack them, and there are traits that make the anthems last longer, which also makes it easier to stack them. There is also high level gear to help with that as well.

A high level minstrel who is not traited for DPS should be able to keep three anthems going at the same time. Four anthems at the same time is possible with the right traits and gear. Think of Anthem of War (more dps), Anthem of Prowess (more dps. more armor and more evade), Anthem of the Free Peoples (more morale and more morale regen) and Anthem of the Third Age (bigger heals) all running at the same time for the whole group. That's what a minstrel can do when they are set up the right way. Of course, getting all those anthems up and keeping them up isn't going to leave a lot of spare time for healing, so in a situation where the whole group is taking a lot of damage, you'd have fewer anthems up to spare more time for healing.

Anthems are not the only buffs a minstrels brings. There are also "Tales". Tales are similar to a Captain's IDOME. It's a buff you turn on and it keeps running all the time (unless you are silenced). Only one tale can be active at any time. A tale will use power while it is running, unlike an anthem which needs power to cast it but runs without power once it's up.

Tale of Heroism - level 22. Everyone has more Will and Fate.
    Tale of Battle - level 32. Everyone has more vitality and resistance to wounds, poison, fear and disease.
    Tale of Warding - level 44. Everyone has more armor and +1 hope.
    Tale of Frost and Flame - level 58. Everyone has more mitigation to cold and fire damage.

There are legendary versions of the tales, but they are high level and something a new minstrel doesn't need to worry about.

Minstrel buffing isn't something to ignore.

Traits. I won't describe the individual traits, look at the link at the top of my post.

Blue traits - Watcher of Resolve. These traits benefit your healing the most. If you want stronger heals and shorter healing inductions, blue traits will do that.
    Yellow traits - Protector of Song. These traits improve your anthems. Shorter anthem cooldown, longer anthem duration, lower anthem power cost, stronger anthem buff effect, those are in the yellow traits.
    Red traits - Warrior-Skald. These are your DPS traits. If you want to melt mob faces as a minstrel, the red traits are what you want.

Exactly which traits you should use depends on your level (which traits you have unlocked) and your play style, so I won't say "use traits A, B. C...". At a lower level you will probably get more benefit from the blue traits rather than the yellow traits, but some yellow traits can help. When you get to level 18 and get Anthem of the Free People, it's effectively a group heal over time that doesn't generate any threat on you. In a group situation, keeping that one anthem up will make your healing situtation easier, so a couple of yellow traits to reduce the anthem cooldown will make it easier to keep one anthem up non-stop. Apart from that, blue traits that reduce healing power costs and increase the size of heals will be what you want.
    Therina - Hobbit Guard Rongo - Hobbit Warden
    Frood - Man Minstrel Garmun - Man Captain
    Zorosi - Dwarf Champ Froodaroon - Elf Hunter
    Southern Defenders - Arkenstone (formerly Elendilmir)

Wow Thanks Guys for some much information its a lot to take in but I think I will manage but one question when going to use a coda or anthem it requires 3 ballads each yes? but do they have to be in the order shown here? or could it be basic major basic?
    or major major major for an example or does it work like the wardens gambits?

http://archive.lotro.com/news/997-minstrel-101

(Basic, major than perfect)

There's lots of good information here
    http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.p...81#post6742581
    and in the one you started-it kept going
    http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.p...15#post6739815

Any ballad combination tiers up to anthem. I tend to go major -minor or pefrcet- major for both buffs and out of habit but others do 3 majors. The tool-tips show the different buffs. But I ould contrate on majors and knowing your anthems for now.

Best advice I can give is just keep practising. It gets less stressful. If you want to feel good about yourself, there are old posts here somewhere, from me after I hit Moria-noobiest noob on a laggy little lappy and terrified of grouping! I still get the fear, but I enjoy the performance these days. You will too, given your keenness to learn.
    Some tips:
    Ask for groups in GLFF, if you are brave enough. Ask to join any LFFs as new healer-they can only say no. Mostly people like to encourage new healers-we are needed and loved!

Grow a thick skin-some people blame healer and tank for everything and sometimes your mistakes will cause the group to wipe. We all have to learn. If you find a good tank-always try to friend them. It's easier to heal tanks you are familiar with.

Do some duoing: healing different classes 'feels' different.

Do solo skirms as a healer-I'd suggest use a sage as your soldier while skirming and levelling - they are well behaved. Your role is to heal NPCs and the sage-tempting as it may be to go warspeech-try harmony and melody (null) stances. This helps you practice rotations and learn.

Have fun!
    and get lots of fancy hats http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.p...t-you-to-cry..
    Last edited by Calta; Apr 13 2013 at 08:50 AM.
    [COLOR="#DDA0DD"][CENTER][B]Peralda[/B] - Minstrel - 100 - The Numenorean Guard - Landroval~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[B]Yvandriel[/B] - Minstrel - 100 - Extraordinary Adventurers' League - Laurelin[/CENTER][/COLOR][COLOR="#EE82EE"][CENTER]And the minstrel sang to them……”and they passed in thought out to regions where pain and delight flow together and tears are the very wine of blessedness.”[/CENTER][/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by Calta View Post

Have fun!
    and get lots of fancy hats http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.p...t-you-to-cry..
    Hahah I shall get wear my fancy hats with pride :P but in all seriousness thanks I will be using those training methods and I didn't know my old thread kept going but it kind of drifted into debate of what I had no Idea about.

And Agian If anybody can answer me this it'd be appreciated

"Wow Thanks Guys for some much information its a lot to take in but I think I will manage but one question when going to use a coda or anthem it requires 3 ballads each yes? but do they have to be in the order shown here? or could it be basic major basic?

(Basic, major than perfect)"

Oh don't worry, by the time it comes to being needed for healing you will have learnt perfectly, I did!

Bolster Courage is best used for individual heals for people who badly need it, as it's your strongest heal. Inspire Fellows is your group heal and is the most used in a group I would say. It will be important for you to ensure you complete all your class deeds as you will need the Blue traits (Healing traits) for healing and groups.

Yellow traits are for Ballads, Red is for DPS. Will and Vitality are your most important stats, always ensure a balance of each and a tad of Fate! As you've been told, it can be quite stressful but try joining a kinship and ask to heal on low level runs

Quote Originally Posted by Mighty_Squirrel View Post
    Wow Thanks Guys for some much information its a lot to take in but I think I will manage but one question when going to use a coda or anthem it requires 3 ballads each yes? but do they have to be in the order shown here? or could it be basic major basic?

(Basic, major than perfect)
    Any three ballads, in any order, will unlock the anthems (and Coda) for you. The ballads themselves also give you small buffs, so some people prefer to use their ballads in a particular order, to get the ballad buffs up in a particular order, but for unlocking anthems or coda, any three ballads, in any order, will unlock them for you.
    Therina - Hobbit Guard Rongo - Hobbit Warden
    Frood - Man Minstrel Garmun - Man Captain
    Zorosi - Dwarf Champ Froodaroon - Elf Hunter
    Southern Defenders - Arkenstone (formerly Elendilmir)

Thanks GarethB for clearing that up cheers

Wow!

Wow I was level 8 and I tanked at least 9 lvl 6 spiders solo from spamming my two damaging ballads and when I needed a heal the healing ballad followed by the coda ability with the hand picture while keeping anthem of war up and it was soo easy 9 spiders my god.. I doubt any other class could do that at my lvl.

Quote Originally Posted by GarethB View Post
    Any three ballads, in any order, will unlock the anthems (and Coda) for you. The ballads themselves also give you small buffs, so some people prefer to use their ballads in a particular order, to get the ballad buffs up in a particular order, but for unlocking anthems or coda, any three ballads, in any order, will unlock them for you.
    Not to necro the thread, but is there any time difference between using one ballad three times or interleaving them? It seems to eyeball about the same time, but there's a 1 sec cooldown on individual ballads.

Quote Originally Posted by RamiroSandoval View Post
    Not to necro the thread, but is there any time difference between using one ballad three times or interleaving them? It seems to eyeball about the same time, but there's a 1 sec cooldown on individual ballads.
    Major minor major is quicker for instance than 3 major but in a situation where the tank is taking heavy burst at the start of a fight, cotc is better.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/22219000000125cd8/01006/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Yes being a mini is kind of hard to be. I mean I have a lvl 25 mini and its hard doing groups. Like for example if you are about to die or your teammate you have to make a choice. So, therefore I do Damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Narvollas View Post
    Yes being a mini is kind of hard to be. I mean I have a lvl 25 mini and its hard doing groups. Like for example if you are about to die or your teammate you have to make a choice. So, therefore I do Damage.
    The decision is really simple. First, you save yourself. Second you save the tank and that's it. If the others are taking aggro from the tank then you let them die and they learn not to do that again.

Quote Originally Posted by Narvollas View Post
    Problem is, later you'll be in most groups to heal. So,as stated-heal yourself, tank, other healer/support, spot heal the others if you can. Also you can use skill target forwarding to heal through the boss/mob. The group heal will heal whomever is attacking that mob.

When healing, positioning is important-line of sight is something the group has to learn-you stay in LOS of tank and the others come to you if they need heals. In GB my only words in chat were often 'i can't heal around corners!'

Two rules for a learning minstrel who feels healers remorse when a group member dies:

1. 'You can't heal stupid'*. If someone stands in fire or in front of troll aoe, over and over, there's not much to be done.

2. 'You spank it, you tank it.' If the hunter or RK, for example, pulls too many adds or aggros the boss from the tank, despite being asked not to use their heat-seeking missiles until the tank has aggro, let them deal with the pull. If they die, rez them after the fight. Keep your in combat rez-that you'll get later- for the necessary team players. Most people learn pretty quickly to manage their aggro, after that.

This applies to minstrels, too. Learn to manage your threat from healing. if you pull, run to the tank and use a threat gen skill on them-CtG or CoTC can open up some skills so they can pull the beasties off you, and/or use anthem of compassion on yourself. You can try song of soothing on the mob attacking you, but imo it hardly ever is worth the animation. Maybe it's bugged but it seems to be resisted a lot. You can also fear it away if it isn't going to bring it's buddies. As a last resort, flop. Let the tank regather the mobs, and then stand up.

*(Note this is NOT the same as the one you hear from glff/fellowship trolls after a wipe-"You can't heal, stupid!'. If you get this kind of stuff-put the troll on your ignore list. When, at 85 they are desperate for heals and they've upset all the healers on the way to cap, karma will eat them.)
    [COLOR="#DDA0DD"][CENTER][B]Peralda[/B] - Minstrel - 100 - The Numenorean Guard - Landroval~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[B]Yvandriel[/B] - Minstrel - 100 - Extraordinary Adventurers' League - Laurelin[/CENTER][/COLOR][COLOR="#EE82EE"][CENTER]And the minstrel sang to them……”and they passed in thought out to regions where pain and delight flow together and tears are the very wine of blessedness.”[/CENTER][/COLOR]