We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Returning Captain - Need Some Advice

Hey everyone, I've recently come back to lotro after about a 2-3 year hiatus (since mirkwood) and I'm looking for some advice. I'm currently level 69 and making my way through Dunland. What I'd like t know is what are effect captain builds now and if there's anything I should really focus more towards.

Back in the day I focused mostly on healing and support, so most of my gear and stats kind of focus on lots of power and high icpr. So there's a few things I'd like to know:

1. What are some good leveling builds? I'm currently using 5 in red and also the oathbreaker archer.

2. What kind of stats should I look into investing in my captain for a good healing / support build. Are there any core attributes, virtues and bonuses I should aim at? I'd like to know what kind of numbers I should strive for. I ultimately want to get back to doing dungeons and raids. Ie. xxxx mitigation, +healing.

3. Which particular legacies should I look into on legendary weapons.

I know it's a lot of questions, but I'm slowly re-learning how to play this class again. At the moment, it seems my power is draining really fast, that's with around 1100ish icpr.

Thanks and much appreciate for any input and advice!
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0320200000003c4a6/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Akurak View Post
    1. What are some good leveling builds? I'm currently using 5 in red and also the oathbreaker archer.
    Keep it, it gets even better at 74 when you get Blade Brother.

2. What kind of stats should I look into investing in my captain for a good healing / support build. Are there any core attributes, virtues and bonuses I should aim at? I'd like to know what kind of numbers I should strive for. I ultimately want to get back to doing dungeons and raids. Ie. xxxx mitigation, +healing.
    Go with tactical mitigation on virtues and on your emblem title, focus on might and crit otherwise. Might will give you both tactical and physical mastery (and a good chunk of physical mitigitation). You will need enough vitality to not fold in half with the bad breath of a warg, and enough fate to not run out of power.

I've found it's more of a thing to figure out by feel since every captain plays it differently - so no hard numbers other than having might over 2k if you're in a non-tank role.

To Arms, Telling Mark, PA Targets are the big ones. I like Kick Cooldown, others don't.

Cutting Attack Bleed and Blade of Elendil Damage are the other two minors that I like running. The power costs work well for tanking.

If all else fails, you could roll a weapon, and pad it with Might, Vitality, and Fate.

I know it's a lot of questions, but I'm slowly re-learning how to play this class again. At the moment, it seems my power is draining really fast, that's with around 1100ish icpr.
    It's rough until you get Blade Brother at 74, which has a PoT on Inpsire, useful if you Blade Bro the herald while leveling.
    Maley Oakensage, Captain of Elendilmir

Alas Elendilmir, may you *jingle jangle* forever in the Forgotten West

Hey everyone, I've recently come back to lotro after about a 2-3 year hiatus (since mirkwood) and I'm looking for some advice. I'm currently level 69 and making my way through Dunland. What I'd like t know is what are effect captain builds now and if there's anything I should really focus more towards.

Back in the day I focused mostly on healing and support, so most of my gear and stats kind of focus on lots of power and high icpr. So there's a few things I'd like to know:

Thanks and much appreciate for any input and advice!

There are a lot of different ways to create a good healing/support build on Captain. That's one of the cool things about this class generally - is there are so many different ways to play it effectively. You just have to set priorities. So there are really no "core" attributes, virtues, or bonuses you need. But I think broadly speaking they can be split up into two choices for a Hands of Healing Captain:

If you want to "main heal" as they call it - meaning you are the dominant healer, you will probably want to neglect some of your support utility to increase your healing capacity So in that circumstance, I would suggest using Shield brother on the the tank and focusing on Might and Fate - since those two stats combined will give you the mastery, ICPR, and Critical Rating you will need to keep even weak tanks alive. Gear wise, the Hytbold Healing set helps A LOT so I would definitely aim for that soon as you can. It will help you keep the HoT from Valiant Strike active.

Now if you want to give up some of your healing potential for support utility - you can roll in Song Brother rather Shield Brother - and that will change things for you pretty dramatically. Power will no longer be an issue, so you can pretty much ignore ICPR all together - which frees up a lot of stats you couldn't otherwise concentrate on. So it will leave you a lot more wiggle room to build on other attributes, such as your offensive or defensive potential. This can be highly effective too - though your ability to keep your tank alive will suffer some. So in the end you just have to decide which is more important to you in those respects.

Far as legacies, here are a list of the ones I think are most useful to a healing/support build:

Weapon: Devastate/Pressing Attack Critical Rating, Max Targets Pressing Attack,
    Emblem: Rally Cry Cool Down, Vocal Skill Healing, Melee Skills Healing, Valiant Strike Healing,

The Strength of Will legacy is also good in my opinion, but only for choice 1. If you choose to roll Song Brother instead, it looses a lot of it's usefulness in my opinion. Rally Cry Healing is good too, but less precise than the others.
    Last edited by Jeremi; Apr 17 2013 at 02:13 PM.

This is going to be easier to cover what's wrong and why, rather than going over everything.....

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremi View Post
    If you want to "main heal" as they call it - meaning you are the dominant healer, you will probably want to neglect some of your support utility to increase your healing capacity So in that circumstance, I would suggest using Shield brother on the the tank and focusing on Might and Fate - since those two stats combined will give you the mastery, ICPR, and Critical Rating you will need to keep even weak tanks alive.
    Oy vey..... This is why he gets a lot of flack on this forum....

Going heavy into fate, while it will give you a ton of ICPR and crit, is going to hurt your survivability and healing/damage capabilities. This is one of the reasons why you don't see GOOD captains running around with a fate heavy build. And the only reason why the Fate stacking occurs it to support Shield Brother, which does not have a PoT on it - which means that you are not restoring power to your fellowship unlike Song and Blade Brother. The key to this puzzle is with Inspire - it does a strong HoT in Shield Brother, a strong PoT in Song Brother, and a weak PoT and HoT in Blade Brother.

As far as healing goes, at one point, Shield Brother was the superior healing skill, I'd argue that Song Brother is better now. It is outright better "out of the box" without any legacy investment (Shield Brother needs the SoW Effects legacy to be a comparable healing Brother Skill). This is from the To Arms on Song Brother (+25% outgoing healing) vs the Strength of Will on Shield Brother (+15(?)% incoming healing). To put this into perspective, I use Song Brother as my primary solo healing XBro, that is, if I feel the extra healing is needed, Blade Brother sits as the default XBro (which you will get at 74).

Now if you want to give up some of your healing potential for support utility - you can roll in Song Brother rather Shield Brother - and that will change things for you pretty dramatically. Power will no longer be an issue, so you can pretty much ignore ICPR all together - which frees up a lot of stats you couldn't otherwise concentrate on. So it will leave you a lot more wiggle room to build on other attributes, such as your offensive or defensive potential. This can be highly effective too - though your ability to keep your tank alive will suffer some. So in the end you just have to decide which is more important to you in those respects.
    As mentioned before, a lot of what Jeremi is ferring to as "keeping the tank alive" deals with dropping his might score to compensate for the ton of fate he tends to roll with because he's hard set on running with Shield Brother all the time, which causes his tactical mastery (and thus, outgoing healing) to drop. A GOOD captain will have no problem keeping the tank alive with Song Brother.

The Strength of Will legacy is also good in my opinion, but only for choice 1. If you choose to roll Song Brother instead, it looses a lot of it's usefulness in my opinion. Rally Cry Healing is good too, but less precise than the others.
    SoW legacy is a must because of Blade Brother - the default Brother skill you will be using most of the time, since it so greatly improves the raid's DPS.
    Maley Oakensage, Captain of Elendilmir

Alas Elendilmir, may you *jingle jangle* forever in the Forgotten West