We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Thread: Advice ?

Advice ?

I have a 85 Champion but i am really bored stiff because of the nonsense penalties to it so i have decided to lvl another character, warden seemed me pretty funny and i've been wanting to lvl a tank also wardens have great dps,ambush, extreme surviveablity even immortality if a professional shield is playing.

I just want your advices i am bored of being only a dps which begs for slots in raids, i want to be the guy whom everyone is wanting for and survive a bit longer and the biggest thing, not to get 15k devastated in dodg.

My first toon was a Champ and my second was a Warden and yeah, Wardens are awesome. They're not the easiest to play, however, because you have to get used to Gambits, which are basically a series of moves that build you up to one uber-move...it can be for self-heals, attacks, etc. Gambits start off at 2 (i.e. you need to do a series of 2 specific moves to unlock the gambit) and go all the way up to 5. With the Champ you can just wade in and start shing-shinging but a warden needs more...planning, for lack of a better word.

If you don't like the idea of having to memorize a lot of stuff, then skip the warden, lol. If you don't mind the idea of having to memorize something like fist-spear-shield-fist-shield = Exultation of Battle gambit then go for it. They are a really tough class, even with the recent change to Agility as their primary stat - and I love my Warden very much.

PS - here's the link to the Gambit I mentioned above, in case you were curious. http://lorebook.lotro.com/wiki/Skill...tion_of_Battle
    Eolynde - lvl 85 Champion
    Tinduiel - lvl 85 Warden
    Melusene - lvl 85 Hunter
    Iovala - lvl 85 Rune-Keeper

Wardens

I've been playing with a warden and they DO seem very powerful currently (not sure if this is because they gain mastery from both might and agility stats right now, if so they will be changing to just agility with u11). As far as being a valued member of a party: warden's probably rank below captains, minstrels and guardians. I rarely see a post looking specifically for a warden, but there is the advantage of being able to fulfill that tanking role...

Only agility will contribute to Physical/Tactical Mastery with U11, don't get fooled by Warden DPS.
    If you want to soak tons of damage, IMO a Guardian would be better - assuming everyone has the same amount of Critical Defence, they still have more mitigations than Wardens.

Don't get me wrong, the Warden is awesome and can solo many instances. After playing 2 squishy classes, I feel awesome soloing Annúminas.
    Also really annoying in the Ettenmoors.

You could play both for a couple levels (20? 30?) first, and then compare.
    [COLOR="#669966"][center][size=1]Mildford - R9 Hunter • Support - R7 LM
    The Storm Crusaders • Gladden[/size][/center][/COLOR]

Of course, in 2-3 months, all classes will probably be changed dramatically. No one knows what the various classes will look like after the trait system and class skills are substantially reworked.

Play a warden if you think you'll enjoy it. If the warden post-U11 is anything like now (I assume the class changes will come with U11, but it might be U12 later in the year), you'll be able to tank anything in the game, but honestly you'll face some discrimination in tanking the toughest raid content where many folks still prefer guards.

I love my warden, my first character, although I almost gave up on him during the six months it was a mostly broken class when Isengard first came out. I also have a cap guard, champ, cappy and RK, and enjoy them all in their own right.
    The generation of random numbers is too important to be left to chance.

The best way to describe a Warden is 'A fellowship in a can'.

When played properly they are a very enjoyable class to play and capable of doing amazing things.
    My Warden was my 1st character and I have never managed to lvl an Alt past lvl 65 as I play him too much

Go for it, roll a warden you won't regret it!

A well played warden can pretty much tank any content, and have been able to do so for years, only, the amount of skill required has declined considerably, the line between wadens and wardens is being blurred.

That being said, I love tanking on my warden, and wardens are just as easily used in t2 content as guardians are, given the skill of the warden is up to par with the challenge. Wardens do have lower mits than guards, but, what they lack in mits, they make up for in avoidance, you don't have to mitigate what doesn't hit you, right? Well, that's the approach of playing a warden. Make it hit you as little as possible, and for when it DOES hit you, ensure you have crit defense and mits to an acceptable level.

One clear cut advantage of warden over guard is that the warden has more of an ability to tank more than 10 targets (Due to threat transfers) at a time, where guard can only effectively tank 10. This is one advantage that doesn't have to be used, but can be used very effectively
    [url=http://www.siglaunch.com/sigs/index.php][img]http://www.siglaunch.com/sigs/wsiga.php/5885254mErZw.png[/img][/url]

Where has your Wadening taken you?

Quote Originally Posted by Mildford View Post
    Only agility will contribute to Physical/Tactical Mastery with U11, don't get fooled by Warden DPS.
    If you want to soak tons of damage, IMO a Guardian would be better - assuming everyone has the same amount of Critical Defence, they still have more mitigations than Wardens.

Don't get me wrong, the Warden is awesome and can solo many instances. After playing 2 squishy classes, I feel awesome soloing Annúminas.
    Also really annoying in the Ettenmoors.

You could play both for a couple levels (20? 30?) first, and then compare.
    To be honest warden can not mitigate the damage... but u playing the class very poorly if u want to mitigate the damage, wardens are not guards they have other tools. This means from heal point of view it is same good to have warden tank, also warden need to work for its defense, it isnt a metal chunk what u throw for boss to chew...

U must use your far superior avoidances, and self heals... if not then do us a favour and stick with solo play, dont make bad reputation for the class...
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/2921e00000021509b/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

I'm not saying Wardens are supposed to mitigate the damage. I'm just comparing how the two tank classes are different.
    [COLOR="#669966"][center][size=1]Mildford - R9 Hunter • Support - R7 LM
    The Storm Crusaders • Gladden[/size][/center][/COLOR]

As people have said, Wardens are great fun, but you will have to work hard to be "accepted" over a guard for most Groups..not because the class sucks but people have no idea how to work with a warden in a fellowship/raid.

Common examples : Hunters burns too hot quickly, Minis panic and over heal you rather than trusting you know what are doing, or RK put down their stone right on top of where all the squishies are. Repeat after me ... Wardens build threat up over time, we have very few quick grab agro skills. And lastly yes it takes us 20 secs to get through our battle prep routine...deal with it.

Also when squishies get the agro they run around like headless chooks ..rather than running towards the Warden (or tank). so we can scoop up the mob with some EOBs or call to battles with out having to play tag.

Once your group gets used to having a warden as main tank, there is nothing you can not do.
    "When I want your opinion, I'll read your entrails"
    - Worf has Spoken!

Worfie - Warden

Guardians = reactive tanks
    this means he need to block to activate threat and buffs

Wardens = proactive tanks
    this means you must combine 3 basic skills to build your buffs, threat and heals

There is no better tank, in some cases guardians r better than wardens like damage spikes. Guardians have 70% mitigation cap.
    damage spikes on wardens are a pain with 50% mitigation, like Battle for erebor t2, sometimes laughshat hit me 2 consecutives devastading and i should die if i did not used defiant challenge (put 90% mitigation for 30s) on first hit.

btw, wardens can aggro better we have threat, threat overtime and threat leech, wardens can heal themselves. I can do 3 man erebor with my warden and 2 dps without need heals on t2. My kinmates guardians can only make iobars peek. My warden and kinmates tank using FA class and weapon and greater set of erebor with yellow class cloak.

another good thing on wardens are avoidances and dps trait line.

Its a versatile and the most funny class on lotro (i have other 5 classes on level cap well geared), but its not easy.
    You will learn very good things about lotro mechanics if u play as warden.
    "Do or Do Not, There is No Try."
    Yoda.