We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Question Two Quick Questions Re: Mitigations & Avoidances

My warden is level 36, but I'm trying to think about end game virtue traits now so I have less slayer grinding to do at the cap. I would like to go for a tank build as opposed to DPS.
    -------------------------------------------------
    My understanding is that the mitigation cap for medium armor classes is 50%.

1) At what point/level does the armor value from your gear combine with any vitality on your gear to get you to the 50% and then has diminishing returns? Meaning adding more vit only is good for more morale and resistance (which I also understand the importance of, but for mitigation's sake).

Given I have terrible gear at 36 and physical mitigation is already at 33% (tactical 20%), I feel like you hit the 50% mitigation cap at a relatively low level, no?

--------------------------------------------------
    My understanding is that the cap for % chance to b/p/e is 25.

2) Assuming, once gear gets good at a higher level, I start to account for agility in my build--say maybe equal to or less than vitality for instance. Do you get close to the b/p/e 25% cap while out of combat on any of b/p/e? I'm assuming it's easy to hit the 25% on all three with gambits and LIs at level 85, but I'm just curious in case that is wishful thinking
    ---------------------------------------------------

Thanks wardens!
    Landroval:
    Elbineezerscrooge - 100 Hunter
    Fishbert - 100 Lore Master

It's a very good idea to grab the virtues you'll want for tanking (there's MANY threads about which virtues to get in the Warden forum so take a look there ), but I don't see much reason to focus on mitigations and vitality before you reach Moria, especially because you grow out of your gear quite quickly.
    By focusing too much on vitality and mitigations you'll find it to get rather boring on a Warden IMO. The survivability on a warden is extremely high already and if you don't have much agility/physical mastery you'll have very long fights where you don't take much/any damage. Trust me, that is only fun for a while.

When you enter Moria doing instances becomes a much bigger part of the game (the quests are much better integrated in the instances than they are for Garth Agarwen, Fornost, Carn Dum, Barad Gularan and Urugarth), so it makes sense to start building a tanking setup there. However, even then you should consider having a DPS setup for soloing.
    Last edited by Elrantiri; Apr 11 2013 at 07:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 7h3C47 View Post
    Given I have terrible gear at 36 and physical mitigation is already at 33% (tactical 20%), I feel like you hit the 50% mitigation cap at a relatively low level, no?
    As you go up in level, your rating becomes less effective. 100 rating at level 30 that gives 5% mitigations may only give 4% at 35. (All of those are made up numbers, by the way, just to give you an idea of what I'm talking about.) You do tend to cap mits pretty easily though.

My understanding is that the cap for % chance to b/p/e is 25.

2) Assuming, once gear gets good at a higher level, I start to account for agility in my build--say maybe equal to or less than vitality for instance. Do you get close to the b/p/e 25% cap while out of combat on any of b/p/e? I'm assuming it's easy to hit the 25% on all three with gambits and LIs at level 85, but I'm just curious in case that is wishful thinking
    Good wardens can get pretty close to cap on all three out of combat, but I dunno anyone who can cap all three without using any in-combat buffs. (Parry, at least, is usually capped outside of combat since there's only a single buff in-combat that gives parry, and it's the only in-combat buff I can think of that doesn't greatly contribute to threat or self-heals, so it's usually a last priority gambit.)
    [CENTER][IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v341/tindragon/Base.png[/IMG]
    Steam: Sneakeh Snake[/CENTER]

Two very helpful posts, thanks guys/gals.

To the first I would say that, as this is my millionth character, I'm not concerned with leveling speed and things to not worry about until later. I don't mind getting in the practice. That being said, I'm not planning on making any huge changes to my gear until the cap, but what I do with my gear at 85 affects the virtues I pick early on (now).

The second helps put my mind at ease. I spoke with a warden in my kin that said almost exactly the same thing.
    Landroval:
    Elbineezerscrooge - 100 Hunter
    Fishbert - 100 Lore Master

Quote Originally Posted by 7h3C47 View Post

--------------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------
    You still have not made Moria, so be glad you still have the benefits of Might plus Agi. During that time in development of the zones, with wardens released with Moria, med gear was solely for burgs and hunters. I think they musta thrown in some semi warden tankish stuff at Aughaire, but most gear wont be designed for a warden tank. Anyways, at the time I was leveling thru the area, some wardens, myself included, tried to balance Might and Agi while getting as much Vit as med armor allowed. Then came the numerous revisions in gear stats, that you will see reflected in trash gear post-Moria as you level up. As stated earler, dont sweat the physical mit, as that comes and goes with the gear and LOTRO timeline you are in.

I would personally tell you to work on traits for Zeal (#1), Honor, Charity, Innocence and Loyalty, but that is mainly because that is what I have slotted.

http://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Virtues

Click on the virtue you want, then you can see the zones you want to work on them by level below the virtue.

[b][color=orange]Nuviell - MINI 85[/color][/b] //momentan in Rift unterwegs, Shard: Brutmutter
    [b][color=orange]Faenyl - LM 85 || Cay - WRD 85 || Laori - RKP 85 || Soyra - Burg 75[/color][/b]