We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Middle-earth map sleeve tattoo

So I recently got a tattoo of Smaug from one of the many maps of Middle-earth and the quote "Not all those who wander are lost" written in Khuzdul (Dwarvish) below it. I'm really happy with how it came out and recently I came up with the idea of turning it into a sleeve ending above my elbow.

I want to keep the theme of making it look like a map from the books Tolkien wrote.

Anyway, I need some help coming up with ideas.

THIS IS WHERE YOU COME IN

What are some of the places in Middle-earth that I absolutely MUST include in the sleeve? Or just some of the key objects that were on some of his maps that I should add (example: Smaug). Also, maybe some quotes?

If anyone has any other genius ideas, please let me know!

*OTHER KEY NOTES*

- I don't want any words stating what each area is. For instance, instead of just having the words "Minas Tirith" by some mountains, I would get a simple picture of Gondor drawn up.

- I will probably add the Lonely Mountain above Smaug

- I want to fill in some of the empty places with some mountains, trees, or other scenery that would be on the maps
    Last edited by Doodle352; Apr 11 2013 at 04:31 PM. Reason: Organization and spelling
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/03202000000306255/01000/signature.png]Grundimo[/charsig]

I'm pretty sure I'll still be a noob at level 65 :eek:

I am not sure if I would go with a map with what you have started there. Smaug is huge, I think perhaps a focus on Tolkien's drawings might be another route one could take. I would consider maybe going with some of Tolkien's other drawings such as the Doors of Durin, Old Man Willow, and I love his drawing of Helm's Deep.

Quote Originally Posted by Pheriain View Post
    I am not sure if I would go with a map with what you have started there. Smaug is huge, I think perhaps a focus on Tolkien's drawings might be another route one could take. I would consider maybe going with some of Tolkien's other drawings such as the Doors of Durin, Old Man Willow, and I love his drawing of Helm's Deep.
    That was sort of my idea. When I say map, I mean I just want to fill in some of the empty spots with things that would be in his maps, such as mountains or trees. I'm not looking for an accurate placement of the drawings, as they would be in middle-earth because that would almost be impossible
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/03202000000306255/01000/signature.png]Grundimo[/charsig]

I'm pretty sure I'll still be a noob at level 65 :eek:

Really digging this... I'd love a Smaug tattoo- I need a LOTR related tattoo
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/2322100000010800c/01006/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Pheriain View Post
    I was going to suggest making smaug smaller and adding more details from the maps around him and the letters. I am not sure what you (OP) were thinking for this idea, but when I saw it, i immediately thought of the caption "not all those who wander are lost" as the most important feature of the tattoo, even though most people will have to ask if it means anything. maybe even move the lettering to where smaug is and put the other imagery around the lettering...

[edit] i guess my suggestions are moot, since the tattoo is already on your arm. i guess i just didnt realize at first that was an actual photo of the tattoo on your arm.
    Last edited by husaragi; Apr 22 2013 at 03:13 PM.