We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Thread: Gearing advice

Gearing advice

Only have 9 levels to go before I'm back to level cap and looking towards my first set of gear. I'm ultimately going to build for spear in the moors, but to start I'll be building a tank set to carry me through the instance farming I'll need to do for a while.

So with that in mind, I'd like some opinions on a few things:

1) Lvl 75 SA vs lvl 85 SA for tanking weapons - Keeping in mind I won't have a ton of money to spend, am I going to notice a huge difference in performance with a 85 weapon vs the cost-savings of a 75? I can get a level 75 SA free from book 6

2) Should I be spending a lot of time in my 76-85 leveling doing skirmishes for the lvl 75 isengard tank set, save gold for AH teals, or are there good quest items along the way?
    Last edited by kutsuu; Apr 07 2013 at 06:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kutsuu View Post
    1) Lvl 75 SA vs lvl 85 SA for tanking weapons - Keeping in mind I won't have a ton of money to spend, am I going to notice a huge difference in performance with a 85 weapon vs the cost-savings of a 75?

2) Should I be spending a lot of time in my 76-85 leveling doing skirmishes for the lvl 75 isengard tank set, save gold for AH teals, or are there good quest items along the way?
    1. I'd get the 85 SA. I haven't checked recently, but I'm pretty sure you can buy the materials from the Crafting (or maybe Legendary) vendor at the Skirmish Camp. You buy them with medallions and skirmish marks, so no need to spend gold.

Also, personally, I wouldn't bother with getting a 75 SA unless you already have all the mats or level slowly. If you're fast at leveling, there's no point in spending resources on a weapon you'll throw away in a week or two. But, if you think it'll take you several months, then a 75 SA might make more sense.

2. Skirmish marks come quickly enough if you get into raids and other group content. Personally, I wouldn't run skirms for the sole purpose of acquiring marks, although the XP is pretty good.

Regarding teals, I generally would not buy from the AH. At least on Crickhollow, you can sometimes see people giving away some teals for free on glff. Join a kin if you're not already in one - oftentimes, kinmates give stuff to each other for free.

The crafted jewelry and Grand River items are actually pretty good. The latter involves some grinding, but is worth the effort.

Finally, when you get to 84, start rebuilding Hytbold. That's great XP and also gets you a very good suit of armor.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0c214000000051de2/signature.png]Naethromraw[/charsig]

Going from 75 to 85 weapons will improve ratings here and there, since you can A.) put the best relics on 85 weapons and B.) get higher ratings legacies such as Shield Mastery Block and Fist Gambit Evade. All in all you're looking a difference of a few hundred inc heal, BPE, etc. depending on relic choices. 85 LI's have more access to crit D relics too.

The best wardens I've seen on Brandywine and talked to are favoring set-ups with at least 2 pieces of Hytbold Shield armor and various off pieces gotten as drops. Here's a thread discussing the same: http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.p...-mix-and-match

Some good non-Hytbold pieces include
    Head: Erebor Shield (crit D), Cap of Service to Gondor (inc heal), Watchful Horse-lords (agi, vit, inc heal)
    Shoulders: Watchful Horse-lords (inc heal, 162 vit, crit D), Ancient Leather SHoulder-pads (vit, inc heal, crit d. OD Wound)
    Chest: Ravaged Leather Breastplate (vit, parry, crit D. Library drop, run it yourself)
    Gloves: Rugged Norbury Gloves (vit, inc heal, crit D, Fornost Shadow drop and thus rare)
    Pants: Fornost gold item if you're lucky. The teal version from Water, Trousers of the Steadfast Soldier (vit, crit D, evade)
    Boots: Arnorian Keeper's boots (vit, crit D, block)

My tanking build for raiding. Basically what Rech said except that I don't think the 2 set of Hytbold shield is worth it. I chose to go with stat power from random pieces.

Found little gem among the craftables as a substitute for the impossible to get norbury gloves. Still missing vit pocket item and a 2nd 85 defiant. Might change some stuff around because I want to get 21k morale keeping all the other stats more or less the same, I love 65% Crit d.

Omen has what you can dream about for a tweak set once you are a raid god at 85. As you are not even 84 yet, when you get to 84, go to Hytbold as soon as you get the letter and start burning the 100 days of doing dailys to rebuild the town, plus use those to build your faction to kindred with the four factions.

Then, follow the ideas in this thread.

http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.p...hield-or-Spear

Thanks for all the advice so far guys. The lists of best in slot items are great too.

I may have phrased my main question incorrectly. For my first set, I'm not looking for the best tank gear but the easiest and quickest to acquire so that I have what it takes to do some instances where the good stuff drops in the shortest time possible. I'll definitely be working on hytbold dailies and grinding factions, but I was hoping that there would be some "good enough" tank gear out there that will get me into groups early on. Will PVP rank help with that? Pretty close to R5 atm.

Basic problem is, you are going thru RoR. They changed us from Might based to Agility based AFTER that expansion came out, so they did not make any changes in gear on purple quest mobs, not that I found anything better than what I had from the RoI faction gear until I got the Hytbold stuff. (umm,, not Lanuch, but what was the main city?)

Quote Originally Posted by Darlgon View Post
    Basic problem is, you are going thru RoR. They changed us from Might based to Agility based AFTER that expansion came out, so they did not make any changes in gear on purple quest mobs, not that I found anything better than what I had from the RoI faction gear until I got the Hytbold stuff. (umm,, not Lanuch, but what was the main city?)
    Might still gives mastery, mitigations, etc until U11 doesn't it? I was under the impression that it's still a good stat until U11 and by that time I'll have replaced the might based gear. Having fun with all the high stat Might/Agi quest stuff while leveling up red/dps.

Quote Originally Posted by kutsuu View Post
    Might still gives mastery, mitigations, etc until U11 doesn't it? I was under the impression that it's still a good stat until U11 and by that time I'll have replaced the might based gear. Having fun with all the high stat Might/Agi quest stuff while leveling up red/dps.
    This is correct. Also, it will continue to give the common mitigations unless they decide to revamp stat effects.

If you want a super-cheap and fast setup to make, I'd take a look at getting the easiest hytbold shield pieces (take a look at the guide for the fastest way to get items) and just buy/get free purples in GLFF. 3/6-man content is super-easy for a warden tank, and purple instance items should cost you a max of 1g per piece, and will be 90% of the teal equivalent. It will set you up well enough for tanking anything but Erebor T2 raids.

If you already have 75 2nd age tanking LIs, I'd say stick with them. since you don't, might as well get 85s. Symbols are in skirm camps, and a GB farm group should take you in as a warm body, getting you enough marks/meds to get symbols/delving/empowerment scrolls. 3-4 days of hytbold should be enough for a few shield pieces and between cheap purple items in the AH, and joining the easily/more farmed instances you should be to get an acceptable tanking setup and start running 3/6-mans till your eyes bleed. Take a look at the link Omen-Kaizer put up, the purple versions of those items are more than sufficient.

if you can get into BfE t1 farming instances (more difficult now that 1st agers don't drop) the gems and recipes have some extremely potent options for moors builds.

Quote Originally Posted by spelunker View Post
    This is correct. Also, it will continue to give the common mitigations unless they decide to revamp stat effects.

If you want a super-cheap and fast setup to make, I'd take a look at getting the easiest hytbold shield pieces (take a look at the guide for the fastest way to get items) and just buy/get free purples in GLFF. 3/6-man content is super-easy for a warden tank, and purple instance items should cost you a max of 1g per piece, and will be 90% of the teal equivalent. It will set you up well enough for tanking anything but Erebor T2 raids.

If you already have 75 2nd age tanking LIs, I'd say stick with them. since you don't, might as well get 85s. Symbols are in skirm camps, and a GB farm group should take you in as a warm body, getting you enough marks/meds to get symbols/delving/empowerment scrolls. 3-4 days of hytbold should be enough for a few shield pieces and between cheap purple items in the AH, and joining the easily/more farmed instances you should be to get an acceptable tanking setup and start running 3/6-mans till your eyes bleed. Take a look at the link Omen-Kaizer put up, the purple versions of those items are more than sufficient.

if you can get into BfE t1 farming instances (more difficult now that 1st agers don't drop) the gems and recipes have some extremely potent options for moors builds.
    Thanks for spending the time to post this, exactly the answers I was looking for.

Oh, this is key but I forgot to mention it: Stuff like Ravaged Leather Breastplate and Arnorian Keeper's Boots you're liable to find on the AH for relatively cheap. Bind-on-equip drops. On that note, lucky for you you're on BW. OE grinding is the flavor of the week currently, so you oughta be able to snag some Arnorian Keeper's Boots for cheap. Ravaged Leather Breastplate was pretty scarce for part of last week/this weekend while I was looking for one, but keep an eye out. Library is warden solo-able anyway if the AH won't give you one for 15 gold or so. You might be able to buy the water-wing pants too if you're lucky. Rholagard up above pointed out some great crafted gloves that I wasn't aware existed.

So gloves, boots, and probably breastplate are quick buys. You ain't even gonna spend 50 G for the lot. If you can't find the gloves, holler at me. That leaves just three gear slots left for armor, which should cut down on your Hytbold grind. To plan your quickest route, go check out Fredelas's guide to Hytbold if you haven't seen it. Quests sub-forum, sticky.

As for getting some initial 85 pieces of jewelry:
    - The 75 vit 113 agi 384 parry 384 evade pocket from Flight oughta be super cheap on the AH right now since Flight is newly back online and being grinded.
    - Guthfinn's Polished Earrings will run you about 20-30 G each on the AH. Comes from IP, which some-how stands out as a light-weight of an instance amidst a sea of faceroll content. Send me a mail actually, I've got an extra. Lvl 80 crafted earrings can tide you over before you get those.
    - Crafted Eomer necklace works well enough
    - The R4 moors ring Rholagard linked is pretty good, and you're R5. I use it myself while I slowly gather up some more riddermark tokens. Though honestly I see something wrong with every tank ring available and I'm in no hurry to change out.
    - Get kindred with Entwash for your Glimmering Defender's Ring of Rohan
    - There's the Bracelet of Strength Remembered from Theodred's Riders rep. I guess.
    - and you need one more bracelet. I'm blanking. Search the AH for 85 bracelets with vit, sort by Unit Buyout. Check the Rohan jewelry barterer. A purple will tide you over. Too bad you weren't gearing your warden when Eternal Knight's Bracelets were less than 1 gold.

Quote Originally Posted by Omen_Kaizer View Post
    As for getting some initial 85 pieces of jewelry:
    - The 75 vit 113 agi 384 parry 384 evade pocket from Flight oughta be super cheap on the AH right now since Flight is newly back online and being grinded.
    - Guthfinn's Polished Earrings will run you about 20-30 G each on the AH. Comes from IP, which some-how stands out as a light-weight of an instance amidst a sea of faceroll content. Send me a mail actually, I've got an extra. Lvl 80 crafted earrings can tide you over before you get those.
    - Crafted Eomer necklace works well enough
    - The R4 moors ring Rholagard linked is pretty good, and you're R5. I use it myself while I slowly gather up some more riddermark tokens. Though honestly I see something wrong with every tank ring available and I'm in no hurry to change out.
    - Get kindred with Entwash for your Glimmering Defender's Ring of Rohan
    - There's the Bracelet of Strength Remembered from Theodred's Riders rep. I guess.
    - and you need one more bracelet. I'm blanking. Search the AH for 85 bracelets with vit, sort by Unit Buyout. Check the Rohan jewelry barterer. A purple will tide you over. Too bad you weren't gearing your warden when Eternal Knight's Bracelets were less than 1 gold.
    Most of his advice is pretty solid. For a 2nd bracelet that's super easy to get, I'm sure there's tons of Spiked Bracelet's on the AH people are just giving away from farm runs of Warg Pens trying to get the teal version (Cruelly Spiked Bracelet). I'd assume it's popular on most server's, I know I regularly see at between half and a dozen of them on AH on Riddermark for quite cheap.

This is what I've been running with lately

I've been thinking about experimenting with a spear traited tank build to get 35%chance on the +5% inc heal proc. from the quick thrust builder, in which case the 4 piece Orthanc bonus would be irrelevant and I would swap in the Helm of Encroaching Dread I have, and pick up 2 pieces of the hytbold shield set to partially make up for the heal pulses I'd be losing from shield traits.

(Yes I realise if I wanted to min/max I would've swapped out that set for other 85 stuff with higher stats but this has worked fine for me in clearing t2 BFE and t2c smaug so there's been no need to replace it yet)

A lot of good advice here and some good gear to make note of. I will look into the gloves Shintagh posted i also did not know about them. A lot of the gear is fairly easy to get. I am still looking for my gold shield and pants but other than that and the ultra rare horse stuff im fairly happy with my gear. The spiked bracelets from warg pens are the best iv seen. I personaly like it better than the horse bracelet Shintagh has. And i use different boots as well but i build for bpe. I must admit im a tad jelous of 65% crit def but my bpe is over 55% un-gambeted and not counting another 13% or so chance for partials...and 47%crit def. Should be over 50 when i get my shield. With the shield proc and my ring proc ill be over 60% easy probably closer to 68%. Im just saying there is a lot of stuff to get that is not that hard to come by and as long as you plan what your going for youll get there. Its not like before when you just got as much vit as possable. Now you can easily cap mitigations with no effort. And with the right trait set up can get tac resistance close to 25% and bpe 65%+ with cappy buff and shield mastery alone. I target 18k moral and from there go for mitigations in one form or another. hopefully you can inspect me and see what gear im using...more hybold than id like but its decent gear.