We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Exp Disabler change please.

This may have been discussed before if so I apologize. I am a returning player and find the Stone of the tortoise seems a complete attempt to gouge tp from players who like to explore, craft or do all the quests we come across. The first char I made back at level 18 was still doing level 10 and 12 quests with quest, kill, and crafting exp, couple that with VIP rest exp just makes it worse. Please make this item account bound not per character, or give VIPs the /exp off function to counter the rest exp we get. 495 tp per char just so I can adventure in level appropriate content is asking a lot on top of the 15 a month I am already paying if you have several alts.

1. Turbine is trying to recoup development cost for an feature desired by a minority of players.

2. The stone is bind to account when you buy it, and bind on equip thereafter.

3. It was on sale last week for (IIRC) half off. You should have stocked up while you could.

Quote Originally Posted by whheydt View Post
    3. It was on sale last week for (IIRC) half off. You should have stocked up while you could.
    Actually it's on sale THIS week for half off (Friday, April 5th to Thursday, April 11th). See http://archive.lotro.com/lotrostoresale/ for the current sales.
    Join the LotRO Volunteer QA Team!
    Use the bug reporting tool or type /bug in-game!*
    *no rants please

Quote Originally Posted by whheydt View Post
    1. Turbine is trying to recoup development cost for an feature desired by a minority of players.
    Yep, and they said it would not have been done at all if they couldn't get reasonable revenues for it... People spend at least "months" on a given character, sometimes years. If disabling XP is something that would improve a player's enjoyment of the game, $4-5 for "months" or years is trivial. The only reason it might seem non-trivial is if they're buying 10 of them all at once, but there's really no reason to do that. Buy it when they need it, not just because they have 10 characters and it's possible to buy it for each one.

Oh, and of course... buying 10 of them for ~$2 a pop (on sale this week) really isn't all that much either.

Khafar

I hope that Turbine sells lots and lots of the XP disabler while it is on sale. Hopefully, the sales numbers will indicate to them that so many more people buy the XP disabler at 250 TP rather than at 500 TP that they'll make more money in the end and they'll decide to permanently lower the price.
    For me, the XP disabler is an item that should be available at a price that does not put people off buying it "because it is much to expensive for a single character". At that price I think Turbine would sell a lot more of them.

That the item needs to be paid for is not a problem in my eyes and neither is that it takes up the pocket slot (since the better gear you earn by doing more quests makes up for the loss of pocket-item stats), but I don't think Turbine is offering the item for the optimal (read: most profitable) price at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Anyelir View Post
    Hopefully, the sales numbers will indicate to them that so many more people buy the XP disabler at 250 TP rather than at 500 TP...
    They knew that much before the sale. And if they sold it for 125 TP, they'd sell more still. That doesn't mean those prices would maximize their revenues. Lots of people will buy when they want something, not just when it's on sale. That's basically a tax on impatience, and it makes them lots of $$ (which is why stuff is full-priced like 95% of the time, both inside the game and at retailers in the real world).

Perhaps 495 is not at the optimal point on the supply/demand curve - hard to say. But people have been saying the same thing about mounts for 2 years now, and their non-sale prices haven't fallen. To me, that indicates they must be selling decently well for $15 or $20 a pop, and I do see a fair number of those running about the game world... Those are per-character purchases too.

Khafar

Tp cost aside, with the rest xp given on top of all of the other ways to get exp, if you take advantage of all the aspects of the game offered to us, the stone is almost mandatory if I want to fully enjoy all the areas to explore and quest in. It kind of takes the enjoyment out of exploring a new area in the storyline when all of the mobs are green or grey.. takes the challenge out the game. As a vip it would be nice to not to need to buy an item for every char I make so I don't out level areas before I get to them. Let us have the option to at least disable the rest or total xp for the 15 a month.

Quote Originally Posted by Khafar View Post
    <snip>
    None of which will stop me from hoping Turbine will set a new, lower price point for the XP disabler. If they do it or not is not my decision, but I can wish for it and I can voice that wish on the forums...

My problem with the XP disabler is that it exists at all.
    Paying to level more slowly, as an antidote to the stupidly-fast levelling "experience" the ever-more-impatient new players want? Not me, no sirree! No other MMO I have played requires you to pay extra money to spend longer in-game, its a brilliantly cynical marketing ploy.
    I suppose such gimmicks as these may be inevitable, but they still siphon off some of the fun for me. Eventually the cons are going to outweigh the pros, I think. Until then, I shall continue to enjoy the game as much as possible. After all, look on the bright side - I played for 2-3 hours last night with no crashes! Yay!
    The best suggestion here is perhaps to disable the rested xp boost with a toggle. After all, one was provided for the forced-emote haters. Not just for the subbers though, for everyone. You're asking to get price-gouged if you suggest every provision should come with a price tag, some things should exist simply because they make the game more playable and more likely to retain players.