We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

I think the Lone Lands was mention in the Hobbit movie

I've only seen the Hobbit once, and that was back last December when it first came out in theaters. I remember the company camping out on Weather Top (At least I think they were?) and one of dwarves was teasing Bilbo about goblins and orcs prowling about in the wild. I think he says something like, "There are dangerous things lurking here in the Lone Lands."

Been a while since I've seen the movie, but I could've sworn they mention the Lone Lands. I guess Peter Jackson probably plays Lotro if he put that in the script.

In revisions to the Hobbit made subsequent to the publication of the LotR, the term Lone-lands is used twice. It is likely synonymous or derived from the name Eriador.

Since this game is built on LOTR license and not Hobbit's one, and since is based on the BOOKS, not the movies, is obvious you dont know the majority of places and history of middle earth.

Idk exactly about "lone lands" name, in my language is translated as "wild lands", but still is the same place, east of Bree, that Hobbits crosses with Strider.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/022040000002930e0/01006/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

[QUOTE=Daxid;6739041]Since this game is built on LOTR license and not Hobbit's one, and since is based on the BOOKS, not the movies, is obvious you dont know the majority of places and history of middle earth.
    QUOTE]

Uh.."obvious that I don't know the majority of places and history of Middle Earth?" Listen pal, I don't know what made you form that assumption, but I know plenty about Middle Earth and its history. I study Middle Earth's map almost on a daily basis. And know where every thing is located. I read through the books and watch the movies almost every year. Don't go spewing out BS about a person you don't even know.

And FYI, I already knew Lotro was based on the BOOKS and not the movies. And I enjoy the books more than the movies if you must know. And that is coming from a person who saw the movies first before reading the books.
    Last edited by Goodgoing; Apr 05 2013 at 01:57 PM.

"the hobbit" chapter 2, 4th page somewhere in the middle (in my girlfriends german edition - havent got my english one with me atm) there is a decription of the land after they leave the shire:
    (translating back from german... > ) ...and then they came into lands where people spoke strangely, and sang strange songs which bilbo never had heared before. And now they aleady far into the empty (lonely?) lands, where noone was living and no inns were to be found and the roads became worse the farther they got.

In my edition its "in den Leeren Landen" (sic!) - translating to empty lands, verbatim.

Thats the one reference i had in my head.

the other thing that i seem to remember is that there is an explanation in the lotr somewhere (or perhaps in the unfinished tales... dont remember) indicating that the land became generally called lonley lands after the dunedain leaving annúminas.
    something like that.
    best look it up though.

The Ettenmoors was also mentioned in the Movie
    [COLOR="Green"]Legoor Hunter 100th[/COLOR]|[COLOR="Red"]Arhire Guardian 95th[/COLOR]|[COLOR="Blue"]Thaminail Runekeeper 95th[/COLOR]|[COLOR="Yellow"]Astrobulis LoreMaster 95th[/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by neniriel View Post
    "the hobbit" chapter 2, 4th page somewhere in the middle (in my girlfriends german edition - havent got my english one with me atm) there is a decription of the land after they leave the shire:
    (translating back from german... > ) ...and then they came into lands where people spoke strangely, and sang strange songs which bilbo never had heared before. And now they aleady far into the empty (lonely?) lands, where noone was living and no inns were to be found and the roads became worse the farther they got.

In my edition its "in den Leeren Landen" (sic!) - translating to empty lands, verbatim.

Thats the one reference i had in my head.

the other thing that i seem to remember is that there is an explanation in the lotr somewhere (or perhaps in the unfinished tales... dont remember) indicating that the land became generally called lonley lands after the dunedain leaving annúminas.
    something like that.
    best look it up though.
    Yeah, I remember reading that description. I think Tolkien also describe them seeing old abandon castles in that land too. That would be accurate according to the game visual representation of the Lone Lands. Where those old castles are enemy camps for those orcs and half orcs.

Ah ha. I just opened my copy of The Hobbit to page 31, Chapter 2 Roast Mutton, and here they do mention in a paragraph about old castles and actually mention the Lone Lands. Heres the paragraph,

"At First they had passed through hobbit-lands, a wide respectable country inhabited by decent folk, with good roads,an inn or two, and now and then a dwarf or a farmer ambling by on business. Then they came to lands where people spoke strangely, and sang songs Bilbo had never heard before. Now they had gone on far into the Lone-Lands, where there were no people left, no inns, and the road grew steadily worse. Not far ahead were dreary hills, rising higher and higher, dark with trees. On some of them were old castles with an evil look, as if they had been built by wicked people. Everything seemed gloomy, for the weather that day had taken a nasty turn. Mostly it had been as good as May can be, even in merry tales, but now it was cold and wet. In the Lone-lands they had been obliged to camp when they could, but at least it had been dry."

Thats from the middle paragraph on that page.
    Last edited by Goodgoing; Apr 05 2013 at 02:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ceredig View Post
    In revisions to the Hobbit made subsequent to the publication of the LotR, the term Lone-lands is used twice. It is likely synonymous or derived from the name Eriador.
    ^^ This. 'Eriador' was the Elvish name, with 'Lone-lands' being the direct Westron equivalent (having the exact same meaning).

OP: as ever, Google is your friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Daxid View Post
    Since this game is built on LOTR license and not Hobbit's one, and since is based on the BOOKS, not the movies, is obvious you dont know the majority of places and history of middle earth.
    After googling on the logos that pop up on the splash screens I came to the conclusion that Turbine licensed LOTR from the owner of the movie rights (sold by J.R.R.Tolkien when still alive). The reason they based it off the books is likely because:

SCZ doesn't own any rights to Peter Jackson's movies. I'd be surprised if they own any rights to previous animated movies.
    Warner's purchase of Turbine was rather recent. They wouldn't want to change the lore if they could.
    Since Warner owns Turbine, they could easily use the movie lore except:
    - they would owe Peter Jackson (and possibly others) a cut
    - the infighting between Warner divisions would be epic. It took years to start filming "The Hobbit" because different divisions owned rights to "The Hobbit" and LOTR.

Am I missing anything? I keep hearing "LOTRO is based on the books" and noticed that the licensing comes from movie rights.

I also think it is a huge leap to believe there is correlation between knowing the various works of Tolkien (LOTRO only deals with works published before 1956) and knowing the details of LOTRO licensing.

Quote Originally Posted by yawumpus View Post
    Am I missing anything? I keep hearing "LOTRO is based on the books" and noticed that the licensing comes from movie rights
    The licensing comes from merchandising rights, which includes movies, PnP rpgs, card games, pewter figurines, etc. etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Legolose104 View Post
    The Ettenmoors was also mentioned in the Movie

"Trolls from the Ettenmoors" was Gandalf's quote.
    And my first thought was: please not another open world-PvM thread *giggle* (no offense meant).

And when the elf cavalry swooped down on the orcs my thoughts went: Yay, mounted combat in Eriador!

The Lone Lands refers to all the area of Eriador east of Bree up to Rivendell. It's not a name for all of Eriador, as the Shire and Bree are in Eriador themselves. In game, Turbine condensed the area.
    [b]The thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty forever beyond its reach.” - J.R.R. Tolkien[/b]

Quote Originally Posted by josh13333 View Post
    The Lone Lands refers to all the area of Eriador east of Bree up to Rivendell. It's not a name for all of Eriador, as the Shire and Bree are in Eriador themselves. In game, Turbine condensed the area.
    The problem is the name Eriador itself. Tolkien provided two etymologies for the name, one derived from Sindarin, the other from Nandorin/Silvan. But the meaning is the same: Lonely Land.
    So though conjecture, it is not unreasonable to see the two terms as being related. One perhaps used by non-inhabitants to describe the entirety of the region which was sparsely populated after the Fall of Arthedain, the other by inhabitants who would restrict the terms to those areas of Eriador which had no settlements. This conjecture does gain some support considering that the two uses of the term "Lone-lands" did not appear in initial versions of the Hobbit, but were added to revisions made after the publication of the Lord of the Rings where the term Eriador was firmly established.

So it is admittedly contentious to say the two terms are identical. But is it highly unlikely that there is not a relationship between the two.

Quote Originally Posted by Tolkien Gateway
    It is a subject of some debate whether the Lone-lands and Eriador are one and the same. Etymologies given for Eriador certainly suggest such a thing. The two mentions of "Lone-lands" were not added until the revised, 1966 edition of The Hobbit, well after the introduction of the word "Eriador" in The Fellowship of the Ring. As the latter was spoken by Aragorn, who would know the Sindarin name, and the former by Bilbo, who would not (yet) know the "foreign" name, it is not inconceivable that they refer to the same land.
    Source.

Also, don't forget the Forsaken Inn was also mentioned in the FotR (Aragorn: "none have measured the road between Rivendell and the Forsaken Inn, a day's ride east of Bree.")

PS: Champion of the Lone-lands = Champion of Eriador, in case you haven't thought of that already
    Don't forget to show off in front of your lvl 25 fellowship members saying "hey guys I got champion eriador title already"!
    [COLOR="#669966"][center][size=1]Mildford - R9 Hunter • Support - R7 LM
    The Storm Crusaders • Gladden[/size][/center][/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by Ceredig View Post
    The licensing comes from merchandising rights, which includes movies, PnP rpgs, card games, pewter figurines, etc. etc.
    Ouch. While the professor may have had a point about the unfilmability of Middle Earth (Vernor Vinge wrote a story about it, and this was long before Star Wars and ILM showed everybody what special effects could do), the merchandising was always worth something.