We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Soldier Upgrades (sorry noob question)

Just getting into skirmishes at level 62 (after Moria book 5 forced me there). I've surprised myself by really enjoying it, and I added 10 levels of combat roles/skills to my warrior soldier. I'm a bit confused on how far I need to develop him though and how to gauge if he is compatible with my level. I did the Siege of Bruinen last night at level 62 and the soldier died 3 times but it didn't really matter. As a Guardian I just kept tanking the lieutenants and bigger stuff while the NPCs dealt with fodder and then aided me.

So my question is whether this particular skirmish just happens to be easy and if so how far should I push my soldiers rank? What rank is appropriate for my level? Or are Guardians just particularly suited for Skirmishes and a weak soldier is ok?

wiki about the soldier. (I cannot remember if expansion Siege of Mirkwood grants/unlocks some soldier ranks, but expansions Rise of Isengard and Riders of Rohan unlock all previous ranks).
    as a Hunter I used to take Warrior (till lvl 30), Archer (till lvl 72) in combat, than guardian.. it was really meh. now I run with herbalist around and for me it was the best choice.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/2322100000017383f/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Tooknoob View Post
    Just getting into skirmishes at level 62 (after Moria book 5 forced me there). I've surprised myself by really enjoying it, and I added 10 levels of combat roles/skills to my warrior soldier. I'm a bit confused on how far I need to develop him though and how to gauge if he is compatible with my level. I did the Siege of Bruinen last night at level 62 and the soldier died 3 times but it didn't really matter. As a Guardian I just kept tanking the lieutenants and bigger stuff while the NPCs dealt with fodder and then aided me.

So my question is whether this particular skirmish just happens to be easy and if so how far should I push my soldiers rank? What rank is appropriate for my level? Or are Guardians just particularly suited for Skirmishes and a weak soldier is ok?

For T1 solo skirmishes rank 10 in the soldier's skills and training was considered a reasonable level of development. For T2 and T3, rank 20 was considered reasonable. This was back when cap was 65 (about rank 21).

You probably should rank up your soldier's class since that affects things like base HP and power. You may notice that technically your soldier will be at your level when spawned but I think effectiveness depends on the soldier's actual rank. I would rank up my soldier so that the "nominal" level would be just a few levels below me (closer it ranks up, the more the relative cost in marks).

In T1, I understand that reasonably geared and skilled players could do them solo. The soldier tends to make the skirmish go faster. YMMV.

You might want to have work up a soldier who is an herbalist. You never know when someone might entice you into a more difficult skirmish and healing (or extra healing) tends to be a good option.

One thing you might devote a few marks to is ranking up the soldier's training, Boundless Morale (I think that's what it is called), which grants it extra morale. You might also look at training that seems applicable across the various soldiers. For instance, you might find [high] Evasion training to be applicable across the soldiers. Morale and Evasion improve the soldier's survivability -- not so much a problem for a Guardian, but you might find it helpful if things turn not so good.

Be aware that ranged soldiers, such as the Archer, will not take advantage of their ranged attacks unless you direct them (I am sure this is nothing new) or some ranged mob hits you. Otherwise, they will wait until the mob comes into melee range.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by fezzick View Post
    Be aware that ranged soldiers, such as the Archer, will not take advantage of their ranged attacks unless you direct them (I am sure this is nothing new) or some ranged mob hits you. Otherwise, they will wait until the mob comes into melee range. Good luck.
    Is this true? I have an archer and he always seems to play fine on his own at range. Unless I changed some setting without realising I'd done it!

Quote Originally Posted by fezzick View Post
    Be aware that ranged soldiers, such as the Archer, will not take advantage of their ranged attacks unless you direct them (I am sure this is nothing new) or some ranged mob hits you. Otherwise, they will wait until the mob comes into melee range.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stubbins View Post
    Is this true? I have an archer and he always seems to play fine on his own at range. Unless I changed some setting without realising I'd done it!
    The issue is that a soldier will only automatically attack an opponent who is either within the soldier's aggro range or who attacks the soldier or player. Any soldier that stands behind you (such as an archer) will be further from the fight than you are and may fail to see potential targets unless you stand near the fight. This is no problem for a guardian, as they stay near the fight anyway, but it can be a serious issue with a hunter that likes to stand back.

I generally play a warden with an archer, so I have to remember this on the rare occasions I run a group skirmish in assailment stance. In most runs, my archer automatically makes ranged attacks without any problem.
    [I]Pineleaf Needles[/I],

Skirmisher Director for [URL="http://lotroplayers.mymiddleearth.com/"]LOTRO Players[/URL].

Remember to skirmish responsibly.