We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Power problems tanking 10.1 still...?

So I just tanked a run I've done before, I was able to go without out of combat food, but in combat I totally lost power before pot CDs were up, and the new banner was totally useless.

I guess I will be changing traiting and losing some functionality as a tank to at least be able to do something instead of auto-attacking.

What's everyone else's options/solutions when tanking?

"Sometimes survival comes down to not being hit. Actually, most times." -the chicken skill, Bob and Weave
    Link to our community LOTRO store google spreadsheet pricelist and conversion rates, please contribute too!: https://goo.gl/wxPqCm

to at least be able to do something instead of auto-attacking.
    lol that's exactly how I felt half a year ago when my guy wasn't geared. You just have to balance the stats out slightly. Otherwise your power regen is gonna suck. OR-- you could throw song bro on someone and get some power from that.

I know some people who threw some extra Fate on their LI when their build didn't include enough Fate. I heard it helped them.
    Last edited by Graycient; Apr 03 2013 at 01:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RJFerret View Post
    Power problems tanking 10.1 still...?
    If you had problem with power at U10, you definately are going to have problems now.

U10 introduced changes to power regen so that fate affects power regens majorly.

That update made me impossible to drop my power about at all on mini or RK which both had 500-600 fate.
    U10.1 then reduced the impact of fate as they thought that ppl now have had enough time to adapt to the stat changes..
    Dont know now if I need to get some more or will I be ok with normal power management skills etc.

Yesterday, I was doing T1 BfE at 735 Fate and ran out of power before the first troll was down to 30%. Good times.

Yeah, I've always had a fair amount of fate/icpr. However I was hoping the fate revamp would improve things, and the blatant tanking issues get fixed come 10.1.

Sadly, not. So I looked into traits...here's what I've learned.

Now for Wrath is completely useless, the amount of power "returned" is negative, IE, the skill costs more than the power return on average! Slotting that and using it costs more power.

You'd think Strong Voice would help, given how much shouting we do for threat, but sadly, I needed to both eat ICPR food AND spam power pots every time they were off CD.

So far using Song-brother has been the "solution", but you lose out on crit defense, To Arms damage reduction for group, ICMR, and healing. Worse, you'd think Blade-brother would be an acceptable compromise? Sadly it returns only a portion of the cost of the skill's power! You lose out on power using Blade-brother Inspire.

Sadly, the "benefits" of Song-brother are useless when tanking and under the new power paradigm, healers don't need the power savings at all, the increased healing only affects one person, and lose the Inspire heal, all for an average of 97 power!?

I feel like I'm missing something, but the consistency of this issue (again, only when tanking), has me rather baffled. You'd think traiting to return power would do so instead of costing more power!
    Link to our community LOTRO store google spreadsheet pricelist and conversion rates, please contribute too!: https://goo.gl/wxPqCm

Quote Originally Posted by RJFerret View Post
    Now for Wrath is completely useless, the amount of power "returned" is negative, IE, the skill costs more than the power return on average! Slotting that and using it costs more power.
    LOM is way screwed up power wise no doubt. There should be some way to tank without rapidly being totally out of gas using the obvious best brother for the job, shield brother. You should be able to complement your 5 LOM traits with things useful for, you know, tanking. Turn of the tide should go great with the ungated routing cry. Renewed voice (for more PA, more AOE aggro). Strength from Within even.

But your analysis of NfW isn't quite right IMHO. It is not useless here. Rallying Cry is inherently a decent move for a tank, it gives you some respectable amount of aggro and the healing/power restore is a bonus. And the NfW makes it very cheap if not free (I thought NfW covered the cost counting the POT, doesn't it?!?).

Just ran a test. Tooltip cost is 337 power.
    Try 1:
    Rallying Cry: Now For Wrath applied a critical heal to Tarligond restoring 467 points to Power.
    Rallying Cry: Now For Wrath applied a heal to Tarligond restoring 77 points to Power.
    Rallying Cry: Now For Wrath applied a critical heal to Tarligond restoring 80 points to Power.
    Rallying Cry: Now For Wrath applied a critical heal to Tarligond restoring 101 points to Power.
    Rallying Cry: Now For Wrath applied a heal to Tarligond restoring 72 points to Power.
    Rallying Cry: Now For Wrath applied a heal to Tarligond restoring 66 points to Power.

Try 2:
    Rallying Cry: Now For Wrath applied a heal to Tarligond restoring 365 points to Power.
    Rallying Cry: Now For Wrath applied a heal to Tarligond restoring 68 points to Power.
    Rallying Cry: Now For Wrath applied a heal to Tarligond restoring 67 points to Power.
    Rallying Cry: Now For Wrath applied a heal to Tarligond restoring 60 points to Power.
    Rallying Cry: Now For Wrath applied a heal to Tarligond restoring 77 points to Power.
    Rallying Cry: Now For Wrath applied a critical heal to Tarligond restoring 81 points to Power.

Hmmm. Both gained lots more than 337 power.
    Last edited by DelgonTheWise; Apr 04 2013 at 10:53 PM.

My solution? Tank using red traits and have power heals on Rallying Cry. The extra damage and heals you put out generate a fair bit of threat.
    [IMG]http://i61.tinypic.com/28mns0o.jpg[/IMG]