We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1

    Cool 3 best healing traits for minstrels??? + best stance for raid????

    hi,
    like the title says what are the three best healing traits for a minstrel if i'm about to go in a raid? I am lvl 50 and only have three trait slots and am doing my first raid ever. I am doing the rift...
    Also as a minnie what is the best stance to go into (for raiding)? harmony or melody? I always thought harmony is better because of group healing or should i focus on healing on one target? Or do you have to change as you progress through the raid? I know you can do group healing in melody and single target healing in harmony but in this case I am talking about the codas. My preference is harmony btw - but if single target healing coda/group healing + damage makes a difference i would like to know.
    Also are there certain class healing traits especially good for different stances?

    Thanks in advance B)

    Or for the traits should i invest in my class trait sets... like the watchers resolve or protector of the song?




    Jackincard leader of BandofBrothers
    Last edited by Communityguy39; Apr 03 2013 at 05:09 AM.

  2. #2
    Why have you only got 3 trait slots, thought at lv50 you should have 5?

    For 3 I'd go Silver tongue, Life Singer, Focussed Performance/Improved Raise the spirit.

    I'd heal in melody so you have AotTA(melody), Harmony can also work, but from what I remember you need a fair bit of CC in the rift, and you won't be thanked for breaking mezzes with your coda.

    Personally I don't think yellow line focus becomes viable until you have 5/6 trait slots so you can have 2 blue and 3 or 4 yellow plus the anthem duration legacy maxed.
    “All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.”

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Central Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    1,873
    Three blue. The ones suggested are probably best.

    As suggested. CC's are important here so know your aoe skills. Damage Codas are more aoe than you may think!

    Couple of tips.
    Re Rift- Use your healing anthem always. The coda is a great emergency heal. Take pots with you-lots of athelas-to heal yourself quickly when you forget to look at your own bars. (And you will! Minstrel's forgetting to heal themselves is probably number one cause of wipes when learning (and forever, in my case). There are a lot of vitals to watch in a raid! Make sure everyone else has pots too.

    I'm not sure what will happen to power regen after today's change to fate, but rift was very hard on power on level- you'll be spamming raise the spirit and bolster courage. Take lots of regen food and eat eat eat. Take hope tokens. If the group 'leroys' in to a mob before your'e ready-ie big skills on CD or morale not restored-wait until you are ready before following them into the fray. You can't heal if you are dead. Your job will be to make sure the leader does a ready check before pulling :P

    Re raids in general-

    INSIST on having raid target assist up for the tank in your group. (You'll be healing six, including yourself.) So target assist simplifies things. This means the tank and his target will appear in their own assist box-not just in the fellowship panel. (Same can be done for main DPS)

    • In your ui options, you select "show target's target" (or similar) and you can see tank's selection's vitals. Disable any 'allow skills to target nearest'.
    • Enable skill target forwarding. and now you can heal the tank or group member 'through' the boss/mob by selecting the boss/mob and applying the heal. It heals everything the boss/mob has targeted. *
    • Then Ctrl \ so you can see your ui on screen and move things around. Put the target assist box close to your quickslots or mid screen- somewhere easy to see and get to- so you can see (& click) the tank's vitals easily to spot heal or click the boss/mob's vitals (shown as tank's target) to heal whoever is attacking him...


    Take time to set up your screen-maybe you could try out the set-up by the group entering a skraid at a lower level before you start rift, just to see where everyone's vital bars are placed. I remember the sheer number of bars on screen was a bit overwhelming for me on my first one.The lootzone would overlap my vitals etc. Lappy screens are small! So play with your set up until everything is within reach/sight. There's an old thread on quickslot layouts in the minstrel forum somewhere. Amazing variety. Play with your set up as you level until it feels right.

    Expect to wipe a few times and remember it is not your fault- healing and tanking are very stressful at first, in all groups but especially raids. So, keep trying while the group learns to work together.

    and remember the minstrels' code- 'you can't heal stupid'

    Sorry if you know this stuff, already. I didn't in my first raid so I hope some of it may help.
    All the best

    *(Also works for DPS-target the main hunter, for example and you'll hit everything in your range they have targeted.)
    Last edited by Calta; Apr 03 2013 at 10:03 AM.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by 00CloughRN View Post
    Why have you only got 3 trait slots, thought at lv50 you should have 5?

    For 3 I'd go Silver tongue, Life Singer, Focussed Performance/Improved Raise the spirit.

    I'd heal in melody so you have AotTA(melody), Harmony can also work, but from what I remember you need a fair bit of CC in the rift, and you won't be thanked for breaking mezzes with your coda.

    Personally I don't think yellow line focus becomes viable until you have 5/6 trait slots so you can have 2 blue and 3 or 4 yellow plus the anthem duration legacy maxed.
    Thanks thanks thanks!!!!!

    That was exactly what i was worried about - whether the coda would break mezzes - i know in certain skirmishes it would.. But if you unclick a target and then use it does it still do aoe attack or just heal??

    P.S yes i only have three - i am premium not VIP so haven't unlocked them but I will unlock the rest of the traits when i go VIP in about two weeks.

    Quote Originally Posted by Calta View Post
    Three blue. The ones suggested are probably best.

    As suggested. CC's are important here so know your aoe skills. Damage Codas are more aoe than you may think!

    Couple of tips.
    Re Rift- Use your healing anthem always. The coda is a great emergency heal. Take pots with you-lots of athelas-to heal yourself quickly when you forget to look at your own bars. (And you will! Minstrel's forgetting to heal themselves is probably number one cause of wipes when learning (and forever, in my case). There are a lot of vitals to watch in a raid! Make sure everyone else has pots too.

    I'm not sure what will happen to power regen after today's change to fate, but rift was very hard on power on level- you'll be spamming raise the spirit and bolster courage. Take lots of regen food and eat eat eat. Take hope tokens. If the group 'leroys' in to a mob before your'e ready-ie big skills on CD or morale not restored-wait until you are ready before following them into the fray. You can't heal if you are dead. Your job will be to make sure the leader does a ready check before pulling :P

    Re raids in general-

    INSIST on having raid target assist up for the tank in your group. (You'll be healing six, including yourself.) So target assist simplifies things. This means the tank and his target will appear in their own assist box-not just in the fellowship panel. (Same can be done for main DPS)

    • In your ui options, you select "show target's target" (or similar) and you can see tank's selection's vitals. Disable any 'allow skills to target nearest'.
    • Enable skill target forwarding. and now you can heal the tank or group member 'through' the boss/mob by selecting the boss/mob and applying the heal. It heals everything the boss/mob has targeted. *
    • Then Ctrl \ so you can see your ui on screen and move things around. Put the target assist box close to your quickslots or mid screen- somewhere easy to see and get to- so you can see (& click) the tank's vitals easily to spot heal or click the boss/mob's vitals (shown as tank's target) to heal whoever is attacking him...


    Take time to set up your screen-maybe you could try out the set-up by the group entering a skraid at a lower level before you start rift, just to see where everyone's vital bars are placed. I remember the sheer number of bars on screen was a bit overwhelming for me on my first one.The lootzone would overlap my vitals etc. Lappy screens are small! So play with your set up until everything is within reach/sight. There's an old thread on quickslot layouts in the minstrel forum somewhere. Amazing variety. Play with your set up as you level until it feels right.

    Expect to wipe a few times and remember it is not your fault- healing and tanking are very stressful at first, in all groups but especially raids. So, keep trying while the group learns to work together.

    and remember the minstrels' code- 'you can't heal stupid'

    Sorry if you know this stuff, already. I didn't in my first raid so I hope some of it may help.
    All the best

    *(Also works for DPS-target the main hunter, for example and you'll hit everything in your range they have targeted.)
    Thanks for your very detailed explaination
    Just a few questions... I know the raid target assist screen but still don't know EXACTLY what it does. Okay I will try to do what you said, thanks I know about getting lots of pots and since i am a tinker i can craft hope token so i have already planned to make a lot of them. And power is not really an issue seeing i have such good regen and 3700 power... I haven't run out since the update basically! I already know a little about the raid and such (because i have other threads on the topic) but didn't really what the minstrel had to do (besides heal) so this really helped Thanks :P

    Now some more questions: What anthem do you use? heal threat reduction? I usually use Anthem of the Free Peoples since it gives a buff of vit and it heals me but I usually use that since i am soloing and don't heal that often.. So i am also not very used to my other anthems especially the ones that change during melody and harmony...

    Oh and one more thing. What does the legendary skill symphony of the hopeful heart do?? Is it good in a raid? I right now have Rally equipped. I know i should probably unlock my other legendary trait with TP and get my class legendary trait fellowships heart right?...

    Jackincard - leader of BandofBrothers

    Edit: Sorry if i ask too many questions... You don't have to answer them if you don't want to. It is just my first raid and I don't want to be the reason to wipe :P
    Last edited by Communityguy39; Apr 03 2013 at 09:54 PM.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Central Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    1,873
    Quote Originally Posted by Communityguy39 View Post
    Thanks thanks thanks!!!!!

    That was exactly what i was worried about - whether the coda would break mezzes - i know in certain skirmishes it would.. But if you unclick a target and then use it does it still do aoe attack or just heal??

    P.S yes i only have three - i am premium not VIP so haven't unlocked them but I will unlock the rest of the traits when i go VIP in about two weeks.



    Thanks for your very detailed explaination
    Just a few questions... I know the raid target assist screen but still don't know EXACTLY what it does. Okay I will try to do what you said, thanks I know about getting lots of pots and since i am a tinker i can craft hope token so i have already planned to make a lot of them. And power is not really an issue seeing i have such good regen and 3700 power... I haven't run out since the update basically! I already know a little about the raid and such (because i have other threads on the topic) but didn't really what the minstrel had to do (besides heal) so this really helped Thanks :P

    Now some more questions: What anthem do you use? heal threat reduction? I usually use Anthem of the Free Peoples since it gives a buff of vit and it heals me but I usually use that since i am soloing and don't heal that often.. So i am also not very used to my other anthems especially the ones that change during melody and harmony...

    Oh and one more thing. What does the legendary skill symphony of the hopeful heart do?? Is it good in a raid? I right now have Rally equipped. I know i should probably unlock my other legendary trait with TP and get my class legendary trait fellowships heart right?...

    Jackincard - leader of BandofBrothers

    Edit: Sorry if i ask too many questions... You don't have to answer them if you don't want to. It is just my first raid and I don't want to be the reason to wipe :P
    Happy to help a new raider

    For general information with pictures-Cloudie-wan's illustrated guide is your friend for skills- most is still correct after the recent updates on what skills do-although the stats have changed on some. It is here http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.p...se-of-Isengard

    Symphony of hopeful heart places an incoming healing buff on the target. It also adds an unknown buff when leaving the circle. Use this on the tank if you can, especially in a long fight. But you need to get in range-so be careful. I use it a lot. Others not so much.

    BTW-Make sure you trait fellowships heart legendary trait always for groups, when you get it.
    Inspire fellows is great group heal, now we have no power problems. Use it whenever you can.

    Re anthems-this is very simple summary of the three anthems you will use mostly when healing. Your choice will be situational.

    anthem of third age gives you an instant bolster courage after the coda-good if you are getting interrupts or need a bigger instant heal.

    anthem of compassion is the one that stays up if you trait blue. This reduces the threat from your heals and drops threat to zero, if you coda it.

    anthem of free people gives you and fellows the vitality buff and gives you a small heal over time on the coda.

    Re aoe damge your damage buff anthems have codas that do aoe damage. Targeting and managing the area of these between heals can take some practice so I'd start by spamming major major major and then do whichever of the above healing anthems you need. Try to keep 2 up. Later you can play with different rotations.

    More tips-can't remember when you get what skills but this stuff is good to know:
    Don't be afraid to flop-if you get hit by too many adds flopping drops all aggro. <edit: providing the tank/off tank reclaims it. Stay down until you are sure the mob has moved away and be ready to pot/heal as soon as you rise> It's taken me 2 years to remember to hit still as death before i'm nearly dead/dead
    Your <edit: improved> self bubble stops interrupts. Bubble, then use heals with longer animations.
    Cry of chorus can break silences and open anthems-without tiering the ballads... It also buffs. Some people cast it on tank at start of big pull.
    Soliloquy of spirit cuts long animations as well as providing small heal over time.
    Casting Call to greatness on tank helps gen. threat. It's even better cast on captains than almost any class-gives them a great defeat response. Use it on the cappy in a boss fight.

    Hope this helps. If you see me in game and need help-send me a tell.
    Cheers
    Per
    EDITED TO CORRECT AND CLARIFY thanks!
    Last edited by Calta; Jun 03 2013 at 01:30 AM.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Calta View Post
    Happy to help a new raider

    For general information with pictures-Cloudie-wan's illustrated guide is your friend for skills- most is still correct after the recent updates on what skills do-although the stats have changed on some. It is here http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.p...se-of-Isengard

    Symphony of hopeful heart places an incoming healing buff on the target. It also adds an unknown buff when leaving the circle. Use this on the tank if you can, especially in a long fight. But you need to get in range-so be careful. I use it a lot. Others not so much.

    BTW-Make sure you trait fellowships heart legendary trait always for groups, when you get it.
    Inspire fellows is great group heal, now we have no power problems. Use it whenever you can.

    Re anthems-this is very simple summary of the three anthems you will use mostly when healing. Your choice will be situational.

    anthem of third age gives you an instant bolster courage after the coda-good if you are getting interrupts or need a bigger instant heal.

    anthem of compassion is the one that stays up if you trait blue. This reduces the threat from your heals and drops threat to zero, if you coda it.

    anthem of free people gives you and fellows the vitality buff and gives you a small heal over time on the coda.

    Re aoe damge your damage buff anthems have codas that do aoe damage. Targeting and managing the area of these between heals can take some practice so I'd start by spamming major major major and then do whichever of the above healing anthems you need. Try to keep 2 up. Later you can play with different rotations.

    More tips-can't remember when you get what skills but this stuff is good to know:
    Don't be afraid to flop-if you get hit by too many adds flopping drops all aggro. It's taken me 2 years to remember to hit still as death before i'm nearly dead/dead
    Your bubble stops interrupts. Bubble, then use heals with longer animations.
    Cry of chorus can break silences and open anthems-without tiering the ballads... It also buffs. Some people cast it on tank at start of big pull.
    Soliloquy of spirit cuts long animations as well as providing small heal over time.
    Casting Call to greatness on tank helps gen. threat. It's even better cast on captains than almost any class-gives them a great defeat response. Use it on the cappy in a boss fight.

    Hope this helps. If you see me in game and need help-send me a tell.
    Cheers
    Per
    WOW thanks +rep

    Yeah I have already read cloudywan's Minstrel guide. Soo good :P

    Okay I will try to get fellowships heart when I can. I haven't really been trying because I would be ahead in levels of my friends so I would play in areas where they would get on level stuff and I would get little xp. (He didn't have moria then) Then my friend got moria and levelled to fifty there so then I had to level up in moria in time for this raid that we have long planned :P So yeah i haven't really had time to do my class quest or get my legendary powers. But after a bit in moria I managed to get two (symphony of the hopeful heart and rally).

    I will probably equip rally (I still haven't bought another legendary trait since i'm going VIP in a few weeks and will get it then anyway - I only have one). + I haven't had the time to practice symphony.
    Thanks for all those tips and info about anthems - it really helped. I have all those powers except for soliloquy of the spirit which i think is 56.
    Still as death is one of my fav skills - especially since I can run through huge mobs healing myself until when i get to where i need to be then i just flop and the NPC's run back. It is a great skill and since I am a hobbit I also have another power to the equivalent but is a 1H cooldown. I think I will use this mainly if the raids about to wipe then I am safe and can revive.

    For call to greatness I have always wondered which class I should put it on... There are a few classes it benefits but I also found captian one of the best.

    Okay a few more questions then I am done. :P You don't need to answer these if you don't want to (they are optional )- you have already helped me out BIG TIME.

    I heard something somewhere (may have been cloudywan's thread I forgot) that minstrels can stack anthem buffs/heals so long they don't use coda??? Is this true? and for which anthems??

    Song of Aid: Should I and when do I use? And I never get the backwards induction... When does it apply and help the other classes?? Should this be a power I should use often in a raid or not? because as I understand it allows me and other minstrels to use bolster courage instantly right?

    Finally the bubble that I cast - who should I cast it on, tank? It only last 10 seconds so is it good in emergencies or at the beginning of the battle? Also does this bubble allow inductions to be protected like mine does to myself?

    Okay i'm done, Thanks :P

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Communityguy39 View Post
    WOW thanks +rep
    Okay a few more questions then I am done. :P You don't need to answer these if you don't want to (they are optional )- you have already helped me out BIG TIME.

    I heard something somewhere (may have been cloudywan's thread I forgot) that minstrels can stack anthem buffs/heals so long they don't use coda??? Is this true? and for which anthems??

    Song of Aid: Should I and when do I use? And I never get the backwards induction... When does it apply and help the other classes?? Should this be a power I should use often in a raid or not? because as I understand it allows me and other minstrels to use bolster courage instantly right?

    Finally the bubble that I cast - who should I cast it on, tank? It only last 10 seconds so is it good in emergencies or at the beginning of the battle? Also does this bubble allow inductions to be protected like mine does to myself?

    Okay i'm done, Thanks :P

    Not exactly sure what you mean, but yes you can have multiple anthems active. The coda wipes all anthems, but only those on you not the rest of the fellowship. The issue you have is you don't have the trait slots for an anthem build, you need at least 3 yellow to keep a couple of anthems active, as well as the anthem legacy duration. You can get up to 35s duration (10s base, 10s from legacy, 5s from glorious anthem, 5s from 4 yellow and 5s from armour sets) and a 5s CD (20s base, -5s smooth voice, -5s from 3Y, -5s from 4Y), with only 3 trait slots your really loosing a lot of healing to maybe keep 2 p if your going to spec for anthems (and assuming your using an LI). Once you have 7 trait slots you can have the exceptional blue traits and enough yellows to let you eep multiple anthems up.

    SoA opens up skill responses, for example a burglar has skills which open on a crit, captains on an enemy being defeated, other classes get reduced cooldowns. At the start of the fight is always a good time, alternatively when the captain uses OB. The backward induction is a channelled attack, meaning you are triggering the effect every 5s. It does open up a free BC but I wouldn't use it for that. Also remember it is only fellowship wide, not raid wide. It really depends on class make up, it really helps a guard grab aggro at the start, but not a warden, it helps burglars and lightning rune-keepers but not Hunters and fire runekeepers.

    I would't bubble the tank, it generally won't last long enough to be of use. I use it as an emergency on a dps who pulls aggro and has got low before I've had chance to react, bbble them, then follow up with RtS/CoS, doesn't stop interrupts, (also your self-bubble doesn't until you get the improved version)
    “All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.”

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    672
    The anthems themselves only stack if you get your anthem duration up and anthem cooldown down far enough to be able to cast several before the rest runs out (e.g. my 85 minstrel with her 4 yellow traits equiped and +anthem duration on her legendary weapon has a 30 second anthem duration with a 5 second (shared) anthem cooldown, so even with cast time I can easily have 4 anthems running at the same time).

    What does stack is the extra effect each anthem adds to the coda. If you find you have power problesm (for example), make sure to use the anthem that gives you a power over time effect when you use the coda at least once after each coda (whenever you feel you don't need the +healing anthem or the threat reduction anthem) so you have the coda effect stored up in need.

    Personally, my main anthem in melody (no-stance) is the anthem of the third age (the green version), which gives +10% healing and -25% induction time when it's running and makes an instant-cast bolster courage (usable while moving) available for a short while after using the coda. Other anthems I try to choose depending on the fight at hand: more vitality/moral regeneration or resistances/mitigation if the group as a whole is hit hard, more outgoing damage or less attack duration/more evade if I find the fight will be easier to survive the quicker it's done.

    A lot of it depends on your group composition: champions and wardens for example love the -attack duration anthem, while other classes benefit more from +outgoing damage. Another deciding factor is the fight itself: if the damage is mainly taken by the tank, the defensive anthems (+vitality or +resist) won't have nearly the impact that they have in a fight with lots of aoe poison or fire damage to your group. If your job is to keep an npc alive even before your own fellowship, it's yet another choice since they won't benefit from your group anthems at all.

    As long as you're not able to keep more than one anthem active at the same time, stick to anthem of the third age in melody (no-stance), possibly sneaking in one of the other anthems for power return/extra self-healing/extra crit rating coda effect if you don't actively need 3rd age just now. There are situations in raids where harmony stance is useful, but mostly they are few and far between (in most older raids at least ... I've found them much more useful in the recent raids of the Erebor instance cluster ). The harmony coda always does an aoe heal and damage, even if you don't have a target selected (and if I'm not mistaken it's alway centered around yourself, not your target, anyway).

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Bramor View Post
    What does stack is the extra effect each anthem adds to the coda. If you find you have power problesm (for example), make sure to use the anthem that gives you a power over time effect when you use the coda at least once after each coda (whenever you feel you don't need the +healing anthem or the threat reduction anthem) so you have the coda effect stored up in need.
    To further clarify, the extra "effects" to coda persist from the time you play an anthem until the time you coda (or log out... might be other situations where the buffer gets cleared, but I haven't found it yet.) Even if you go out of battle. If properly planned, you can have every "effect" occur from a single coda.

    Just the effects to coda, mind you.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Greenville, SC, USA
    Posts
    99
    This is all really good advise. Not much I can add. I can only think of one thing:

    Quote Originally Posted by Calta View Post
    Don't be afraid to flop-if you get hit by too many adds flopping drops all aggro.
    Just to be clear, flopping does NOT drop all aggro. It mearly prevents mobs from attacking you, so they start to attack others. If you pop right back up before anyone has generated more aggro than you have, they will run right back over to you. (I learned this the hard way and had to be educated by another minstrel.)

    So remember when you flop, give your group some time to pick up the mobs before you return to the action.

    Good luck and have fun out there!
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0820700000013ab3f/signature.png]Jimhess[/charsig]
    Freeps - Jimhess - Minstrel R8
    Creeps - Fallbakk - BA R8, Fallbakc - Warleader R6, Fallbak - Defiler R6

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload